College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

[table][tr][td]Heels Jump in for Smith
premium.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
588268.jpg

[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
By http://search.scout.com/a...mp;search=1&sskey="' + escape('Evan Daniels') + '%22&sssiteid=78';">Evan Daniels

Special to IC
Posted Sep 2, 2008
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Josh Smith built a strong reputation this summer, dominating the paint against top competition and emerging as one of the best prospects in the 2010 class. North Carolina is among the schools that saw him during the July evaluation period and recently decided to jump into his recruitment.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
"It's going pretty well," Smith said about his recruitment. "I'm still no sure where I want to go. I haven't really thought about any visits or anything yet, but it's going pretty good."
The 6-9, 270-pound Kent (Wash.) Kentwood standout -- ranked No. 4 overall by ScoutHoops.com in the junior class -- said the entire Pac 10 is involved in his recruitment, as well as North Carolina, Louisville, Duke, Kentucky, Gonzaga, Texas, Indiana, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kansas, Georgetown, Syracuse and Connecticut.
[table][tr][td]Video Clips:
Reel #1 -
154001_cameraprofile.JPG
http://northcarolina.scou...Video=video&playlist=' + escape('http://northcarolina.scou...?s=78&mediaids=561610'))">Watch Video
Reel #2 -
154001_cameraprofile.JPG
http://northcarolina.scou...Video=video&playlist=' + escape('http://northcarolina.scou...?s=78&mediaids=574042'))">Watch Video
Reel #3 -
154001_cameraprofile.JPG
http://northcarolina.scou...Video=video&playlist=' + escape('http://northcarolina.scou...?s=78&mediaids=561195'))">Watch Video
[/td] [/tr][/table]The Tar Heels are a relatively new addition to the list.
"They just recently got involved and are showing a lot of interest," Smith said "I talked to coach [Steve] Robinson about two times already."

At this point, UNC's interest seems to be in the beginning stages and the Tar Heels are just starting to form a relationship with the talented big man.

"They said that I'm one of the top players to watch, but I'd say they just have high interest right now," Smith said. "They haven't offered me a scholarship."

As far as his whole recruitment goes, Smith doesn't appear to be in a hurry. With the AAU season over, he said he's relishing the free time.

"I'm just going to wait it out and try to enjoy the time I have away from basketball and enjoy school and hang out with my friends,' he said. "I'll probably try to pick it up when basketball season starts."

As for any early favorites?

"They are all the same," he said. "People are thinking that I'm committing to places, but it's really all the same. I like all of the schools right now."

Smith said a number of schools have approached him about visiting their campuses, but he's put that on the back burner as well.

"I've thought about it," he said. "It's kind of hard, too. There are a lot of great programs recruiting me right now and I'd feel privileged to go to any of them. Right now I don't have a high profiled one where I just have to go visit."

Josh Smith Profile Profile
[/td] [/tr][/table]Get it done Roy....

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

I'm still at a solid 7, I'll be up there with you once they sign.
All things considered....We could be MUCH worse off than we are now.

Striking out on Yarou hurt.

But we have our name in the hat of many a elite recruit. Looking good for a number of them as well.

As always, I put my trust in the staff.

Plus, Coach K being back, fresh off a gold medal.

There's a story to tell the recruits, eh ?

Plus, you add in the fact that I might be about to come up on a Duke tee autographed by Grant Hill, and Yeah, I'ma at a 9.6
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

I'm still at a solid 7, I'll be up there with you once they sign.
All things considered....We could be MUCH worse off than we are now.

Striking out on Yarou hurt.

But we have our name in the hat of many a elite recruit. Looking good for a number of them as well.

As always, I put my trust in the staff.

Plus, Coach K being back, fresh off a gold medal.

There's a story to tell the recruits, eh ?

Plus, you add in the fact that I might be about to come up on a Duke tee autographed by Grant Hill, and Yeah, I'ma at a 9.6
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... i understand your level now... I was up there when I got my authentic game worn duke shorts...

Somebody stole them tho
frown.gif
mad.gif
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Brandon Triche narrowed his list to; Syracuse, Georgetown, UConn, and Georgia Tech. Said he'll take 3 visits to Big East schools and maybe visit Tech.

He'll be Cuse.

Yea _'s couldn't talk to me for a good while after they came up missing... friends family, girl, nobody

smh.gif
laugh.gif
but really I|

Y'all had a chance to make Grant a hoya????

smh.gif

Welp too bad so sad
laugh.gif
Yeah.

I think Grant WANTED to be a Hoya...But he didn't go for some reason..I forgot why though...

Oh yeah, here's something
After agreeing to play varsity basketball only reluctantly, Hill averaged 11 points per game as a freshman for the South Lakes High School team. During his four years of high school, his team advanced to the state finals twice. As a teenager Hill dreamed of attending nearby Georgetown University to play basketball. He changed his mind after a visit he made to the campus during his junior year of high school. The athlete told Esquire that when he visited Georgetown, "Coach [John] Thompson was there, and Miss Mary Fenlon, Georgetown's academic adviser. We're sitting in a room and Miss Fenlon hands me a book and says, `Read this.' I was a little startled, but I took the book and started reading to myself. Then she says, `I meant, read out loud.' So I started reading out loud. After a page, she stops me and says, `Now, tell me what you've read.'" Deeply--and justifiably--offended, Hill left the room vowing never to attend Georgetown.

You Duke heads should like this one.. .

Hairston Talks Recruiting; Will Visit Soon

Josh Hairston
564348.jpg

By John Watson
TDD Staff
Posted Sep 3, 2008

With an upcoming unofficial visit to Duke looming next weekend, four star power forward Josh Hairston appears to be hitting the home stretch of his recruitment. On Tuesday night the 6-foot-8, 200lbs Spotsylvania (Va.) Courtland High standout spoke with TDD about his scheduled visits, his timetable, and which way he sees the recruiting process going from this point forward.

"Right now I am going to head to Virginia this weekend to watch the football game, and then I'll be going to Duke on September 13th with my family," says Josh Hairston. "I am really looking forward to getting back down to Duke after our last visit. We all had a great time and I think it'll be even better next weekend."
It was during that last unofficial visit that Hairston had his first chance to sit down with Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski and his staff to talk about the Blue Devils' interest in Hairston. But thankfully the first person the Blue Devil leader addressed wasn't Josh, but his mother.

"It was one of the defining moments of the recruiting process for me - one of those moments that I had to step back and say 'Wow this is happening'. I was so thankful that he spoke to my mother first because all I could think when he walked in was 'this is a legend and he wants me to play for him'. If he'd had said something to me right then, I don't think I could have said anything at that point."

Those nerves were soon gone and Hairston began talking about the possibility of joining the Duke program as the second member of the class of 2010.

"They've talked to me about playing in the frontcourt and rotating between the three, four, and five spots. I can play wherever they'd need me to play. Coach K sees me as a guy who can play multiple positions. I love to go in and rebound and can face up or mix it up in the paint. There are a lot of things I'm decent at, but I need to continue to improve in areas as well. Coach K talked about how he sees me fitting in."

As with most recruits, the Duke head coach likened this newest potential Blue Devil with one he's already had a chance to coach and utilize.

"He sees me being similar to Kyle Singler. I've watched Kyle on TV and can see that. He's a great player who can play all over the court and he's going to be successful whenever he goes to the NBA. If I keep working and improving, I would love to be able to be on that level."

And what does he believe needs to be improved in his game?

"I need to be a more vocal leader on the floor. My AAU coach is always telling me to speak up and control the court. In the past I've been more of a silent, lead by example guy, so I am trying to improve there."

When he visits Duke, he won't be the only player making the trip down either as the Blue Devils will be hosting fellow 2010 prospects Tyler Thornton and Andre Dawkins, as well as 2009 commit Mason Plumlee.

"Tyler and I have a great relationship as do Andre and I. We all talk pretty regularly. Andre is always trying to get me to commit early to Duke, and I am sure he'll be doing that a lot as we get down there. We've all talked about playing together in college and it's something that is appealing to each of us."

"Duke is going to bring in a big class in 2010, and I think we'd all like to be part of it. They are going to be losing a lot of upperclassmen that year and so they need to reload and they are doing a great job recruiting our class so far. We'd probably have five or six guys from our year coming in."

With plans for such a big class and potentially such a young team for the 2010-2011 season, and given the reaction of opposing fans whenever they see a Duke uniform, early chances to see the floor appear plentiful although it may come with a price.

"I went down to the Maryland-Duke game last year at College Park and those people do not like Duke at all. It was crazy. The amount of stuff they hear is just crazy, but I think people hate them because they are always good. It's like the Yankees - people either love them or hate them, but either way they are usually winning and competing to be at the top."

Though setting up the visit to Duke was something that Hairston had hoped to get done early in the fall, it wasn't until he spoke with Coach K before the Team USA Coach left for China that he had everything finalized. Over the next two weeks he watched as Krzyzewski guided the team to a gold medal.

"It was great watching him get those 12 players to play as a cohesive unit and to play hard on the defensive end of the floor. That's a testament to him being a great coach. He called me a few times while he was in China and left messages. He spoke really highly of the players like Kobe and LeBron - telling me about their work ethic and how great the practices were. A lot of people thought the practices were better than the game because Coach had them all playing so hard. Winning a gold medal was huge - when you consider they only got bronze last time."

With his two unofficials set up, Hairston says he can see a light at the end of the recruiting tunnel. He has targeted a commitment date that falls "before the start of basketball season", which means his timeline is growing shorter by the day.

"I really want to go ahead and get it done so I can relax and enjoy my season and then enjoy my last summer of AAU ball. I don't want to worry about the process or talking to schools or telling schools 'thanks but no thanks'. Getting it behind me is going to be a relief and will allow me to practice and work hard to get ready to go to the next level."

In addition to considering Duke and Virginia, Hairston says he's also looking at Georgetown, Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Memphis. All of which have offered. However, he has no visits scheduled in the near future.

For undergrad Hairston says he's targeting something in the Sports Management field.

Yall wana talk about missing out...it's a good thing I wasn't old enough in the late 80's, early 90's for the lackadaisical recruiting JT wasdoin
sick.gif
As a teenager Hill dreamed of attending nearby Georgetown University to play basketball. He changed his mind after a visit he made to the campus during his junior year of high school. The athlete told Esquire that when he visited Georgetown, "Coach [John] Thompson was there, and Miss Mary Fenlon, Georgetown's academic adviser. We're sitting in a room and Miss Fenlon hands me a book and says, `Read this.' I was a little startled, but I took the book and started reading to myself. Then she says, `I meant, read out loud.' So I started reading out loud. After a page, she stops me and says, `Now, tell me what you've read.'" Deeply--and justifiably--offended, Hill left the room vowing never to attend Georgetown.Georgetown's loss was Duke University's gain.
old wrench didn't like the image G'Town players came across as
tired.gif

Everyone on this list wanted JT to pursue them more than what he did..

Kenny Anderson, Larry Johnson, Sheed, Corliss Williamson, Jimmy Jackson, Steve Francis, BillyOwens.

For whatever reason, he didn't.

Anderson said that from the eighth grade until his sophomore year at Molloy, his goal was to attend Georgetown. ''That was my dream school,'' he said. ''Patrick Ewing, Reggie Williams, David Wingate. I just felt that I could fit into that trapping defense, aggressive play, getting the easy basket, great transition and a great coach and motivator in John Thompson.''

In his junior year, however, Anderson was heralded as one of the nation's best guards and realized that Georgetown might not be so ideal.

According to Jack Curran, the Molloy coach, Anderson was also disappointed that the Hoya staff didn't show greater interest.
''Georgetown was his main interest six months ago,'' Curran said. ''But then the Olympics got in the way of his recruiting and Kenny really wanted to be recruited. At least John had to make some overture to him and he didn't. His assistant called several times, but that's not the same.''

"They've talked to me about playing in the frontcourt and rotating between the three, four, and five spots. I can play wherever they'd need me to play. Coach K sees me as a guy who can play multiple positions. I love to go in and rebound and can face up or mix it up in the paint.
Read between the lines with that one.

laugh.gif

Don't do it to yourself, man.
tired.gif

take that avy and sig down
610x.jpg

August 18, 2008

Five-star schedules Duke in-home visit

Brian McLawhorn
Devils Illustrated Publisher

Talk about it in Devil Insider

Plantation (Fla.) American Heritage five-star guard Kenny Boynton has been atop Duke's wish list for the 2009 class since the first day coaches were allowed to contact the rising senior. And following his recent vacation to the Dominican Republic, the nation's eighth best player continued to give the Blue Devils hope of landing his signature come November.

Boynton, who led his traveling team, Team Breakdown, to multiple AAU tournament championships over the summer, has been relatively quiet about his recruitment for several weeks now. On Sunday, the 6-foot-2, 187 pound recruit discussed where things stand, and how his list has recently been cut to four.

"I've got a top four right now," Boynton said. "I've got Duke, Texas, Memphis and Florida on my list. Georgia Tech was the last school I eliminated from my list. I decided that last week, so I'm looking at those four schools now."

The big question surrounding Boynton's recruitment all summer long has been when will the highly sought after combo guard end his recruitment and announce his college decision. Unfortunately, there is still not a definitive date for a decision; however, he has made it clear it will come before the early signing period begins in November.

In fact, his father, Kenny Boynton, Sr., told Devils Illustrated late last week that "it's time to start looking to make a decision."

What he meant was, it's time to get more serious about it and begin making his final evaluations of each school.

That process will begin in earnest on September 9th when the Duke coaching staff gets first crack at making one of their final in person pitches to why Boynton should play his college basketball in confines of Cameron Indoor Stadium.

"Duke will be coming here for an in-home visit on September 9," he said. "They are coming in to my home on the first day that coaches are allowed to visit players. I don't know what I will talk to them about or what I'll ask them yet, but when they come to my house I'll have some questions ready for them. This will be my opportunity to learn more about them."

While the Blue Devils have the first opportunity to make an impression on Boynton, there won't be much time between Mike Krzyzewski's visit and the next group of coaches that will be spending an evening with the Boynton's.

"Duke comes on the ninth, and then on September 10th Florida coaches will be here," he said.

Following the Gators visit, Texas is expected in a few days later (exact date unknown), while a visit with Memphis has not yet been scheduled.

Though the visits will be a huge step in the direction of a decision, Boynton indicated that a college choice would not come from his meetings in early September, but his official visits that will likely begin very soon after his final in-home with Memphis.

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
"I'm going to take my official visits and then I'm going to decide," he said. "I want to see each school one more time and basically use that time to get to know the coaches better. The big thing for me will be my relationship with the coaches.

"I want to have a good relationship with the coaches and I want to be at a place that I can play as a freshman. I don't want anything given to me, though. I want to compete and earn my spot on the floor, but I want to know it's a place that the opportunity is there."

Another aspect of his recruitment that he has taken notice of is which school seems to be recruiting him the hardest. And according to Boynton, up until the Duke coaching staff's obligations to be in China for the Olympics, it has been the Blue Devils that has shown the heaviest interest.

"I do pay attention to who's coming at me the hardest," he said. "Duke and Florida have been the two I think that have been coming at me the hardest. Florida has been recently since the Duke coaches are in China, but Coach K told me he wouldn't be able to be in as much contact with me. I would have to say before that Duke was recruiting me the hardest."

Despite Krzyzewski's busy schedule in China, the Blue Devils' mentor has still managed to stay in contact with one of his top remaining recruits for the '09 class.

"I've talked to Coach K twice since he's been in China," Boynton said. "I talked to him [Saturday] night. He was just talking to me about individual players over there, like Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant. It's not every day that a coach gets to coach the best players in the world and then talk to others about them. It's pretty cool to hear some of the stories about them and what they do.

"Other than that, he just asked me if I was still feelin' Duke and I told him I was. He asked if them not being able to be in contact with me as much has hurt them. I let him know that it hasn't affected it at all. It doesn't hurt them."

With Duke still clearly in the mix, Boynton took a moment to discuss what it was he likes about each of the remaining four programs.

"Duke runs a four out and one in and I think that really fits the type of player I am," he explained. "Also, Coach K is a good coach and he can develop my game a lot. I think he can really help me that way.

"With Florida, me and Coach (Billy) Donovan have a good relationship. I like him a lot. Plus it's the home state school. That won't play a huge role in my decision, but it is something to think about.

"Memphis and Texas both play my style of basketball. They like to push the ball up and down the floor and that fits me. They both like to get out and run, so that's what it is about those to schools that I think makes them a good fit, too."

Despite not having an exact date for a decision as fans of these four schools all wish he had, the light at the end of the tunnel is beginning to surface and it appears the process gets rolling toward the final outcome in just over three weeks.

Stay tuned to Devils Illustrated, as we'll keep you posted on any new developments regarding Boynton's recruitment.

dreClark wrote:

August 18, 2008

Five-star schedules Duke in-home visit

Brian McLawhorn
Devils Illustrated Publisher

Talk about it in Devil Insider

Plantation (Fla.) American Heritage five-star guard Kenny Boynton has been atop Duke's wish list for the 2009 class since the first day coaches were allowed to contact the rising senior. And following his recent vacation to the Dominican Republic, the nation's eighth best player continued to give the Blue Devils hope of landing his signature come November.

Boynton, who led his traveling team, Team Breakdown, to multiple AAU tournament championships over the summer, has been relatively quiet about his recruitment for several weeks now. On Sunday, the 6-foot-2, 187 pound recruit discussed where things stand, and how his list has recently been cut to four.

"I've got a top four right now," Boynton said. "I've got Duke, Texas, Memphis and Florida on my list. Georgia Tech was the last school I eliminated from my list. I decided that last week, so I'm looking at those four schools now."

The big question surrounding Boynton's recruitment all summer long has been when will the highly sought after combo guard end his recruitment and announce his college decision. Unfortunately, there is still not a definitive date for a decision; however, he has made it clear it will come before the early signing period begins in November.

In fact, his father, Kenny Boynton, Sr., told Devils Illustrated late last week that "it's time to start looking to make a decision."

What he meant was, it's time to get more serious about it and begin making his final evaluations of each school.

That process will begin in earnest on September 9th when the Duke coaching staff gets first crack at making one of their final in person pitches to why Boynton should play his college basketball in confines of Cameron Indoor Stadium.

"Duke will be coming here for an in-home visit on September 9," he said. "They are coming in to my home on the first day that coaches are allowed to visit players. I don't know what I will talk to them about or what I'll ask them yet, but when they come to my house I'll have some questions ready for them. This will be my opportunity to learn more about them."

While the Blue Devils have the first opportunity to make an impression on Boynton, there won't be much time between Mike Krzyzewski's visit and the next group of coaches that will be spending an evening with the Boynton's.

"Duke comes on the ninth, and then on September 10th Florida coaches will be here," he said.

Following the Gators visit, Texas is expected in a few days later (exact date unknown), while a visit with Memphis has not yet been scheduled.

Though the visits will be a huge step in the direction of a decision, Boynton indicated that a college choice would not come from his meetings in early September, but his official visits that will likely begin very soon after his final in-home with Memphis.

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
"I'm going to take my official visits and then I'm going to decide," he said. "I want to see each school one more time and basically use that time to get to know the coaches better. The big thing for me will be my relationship with the coaches.

"I want to have a good relationship with the coaches and I want to be at a place that I can play as a freshman. I don't want anything given to me, though. I want to compete and earn my spot on the floor, but I want to know it's a place that the opportunity is there."

Another aspect of his recruitment that he has taken notice of is which school seems to be recruiting him the hardest. And according to Boynton, up until the Duke coaching staff's obligations to be in China for the Olympics, it has been the Blue Devils that has shown the heaviest interest.

"I do pay attention to who's coming at me the hardest," he said. "Duke and Florida have been the two I think that have been coming at me the hardest. Florida has been recently since the Duke coaches are in China, but Coach K told me he wouldn't be able to be in as much contact with me. I would have to say before that Duke was recruiting me the hardest."

Despite Krzyzewski's busy schedule in China, the Blue Devils' mentor has still managed to stay in contact with one of his top remaining recruits for the '09 class.

"I've talked to Coach K twice since he's been in China," Boynton said. "I talked to him [Saturday] night. He was just talking to me about individual players over there, like Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant. It's not every day that a coach gets to coach the best players in the world and then talk to others about them. It's pretty cool to hear some of the stories about them and what they do.

"Other than that, he just asked me if I was still feelin' Duke and I told him I was. He asked if them not being able to be in contact with me as much has hurt them. I let him know that it hasn't affected it at all. It doesn't hurt them."

With Duke still clearly in the mix, Boynton took a moment to discuss what it was he likes about each of the remaining four programs.

"Duke runs a four out and one in and I think that really fits the type of player I am," he explained. "Also, Coach K is a good coach and he can develop my game a lot. I think he can really help me that way.

"With Florida, me and Coach (Billy) Donovan have a good relationship. I like him a lot. Plus it's the home state school. That won't play a huge role in my decision, but it is something to think about.

"Memphis and Texas both play my style of basketball. They like to push the ball up and down the floor and that fits me. They both like to get out and run, so that's what it is about those to schools that I think makes them a good fit, too."

Despite not having an exact date for a decision as fans of these four schools all wish he had, the light at the end of the tunnel is beginning to surface and it appears the process gets rolling toward the final outcome in just over three weeks.

Stay tuned to Devils Illustrated, as we'll keep you posted on any new developments regarding Boynton's recruitment.

smokin.gif
(Snoop dogg) Aint got no love for duke!

Originally Posted by heLiumcLinton

Originally Posted by dreClark

11. Purdue. Matt Painter's team snuck up on a lot of people last season. With Robbie Hummel leading the way, the Boilermakers have high hopes.
Didn't chitownlegend commit there???

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

who is he?

Chitownlegend is gonna be riding the pine but getting a free education. Purdue had 3 recruits for the 08-09 season and he was a no star athleteaccording to rivals.

Back
Top Bottom