College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

[table][tr][td]
luke_winn.jpg
[/td] [td]Luke Winn[/td] [td]>[/td] [td]
INSIDE COLLEGE BASKETBALL

[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td] [h1]Predicting the next breakout star by using offensive efficiency[/h1] [/td] [/tr][/table]

Around 80 percent of Fortune 500 companies, according to a recent estimate by Psychology Today, swear by personality tests as a part of their screening process for prospective employees. Just as much as colleges rely on the SAT and ACT for admissions, some companies base a significant amount of their hiring on results of tests like the MBIT (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator), which illuminates an individual's psychological preferences.

An extrovert who gathers information through intuition and makes detached decisions may be considered more suitable for a management track than an introvertwho feels his way through decision-making, for example. Because these personality traits are theorized to be static -- hard-wired rather than evolvedover time -- companies use the tests to try to make smarter investments in management potential.

College basketball players, the under-compensated employees of our fair game, have offensive personalities that are generally perceived to be dynamic --molded, over time, by the outsize sideline personalities in a coach-driven sport. The media helps drive this perception; the preseason magazines on racks thismonth are chock-full of quotes about returning sophomores and juniors and seniors getting smarter, savvier, more mature, more confident.

Development like this does occur, but one thing tends NOT to change: the offensive assertiveness a player shows as a freshman, even in limited minutes,tends to be an indication of how assertive he'll be for the rest of his career. Usage -- the percentage of a team's possessions a player uses whilehe's on the floor, either by shooting, assisting, grabbing offensive rebounds or turning the ball over -- is far more static than you'd expect.

Credit for this theory goes to Basketball Prospectus, which at thebeginning of last season, examined usage data from 2005-07 and concluded, basically: that freshmen who acted like role players as freshmen (using around orbelow one-fifth, or 20 percent, of the available possessions) were likely to still be role players as juniors. High-usage stars (who used more than 25 percentof available possessions) generally acted like this from Day 1, even if they weren't given enough minutes to put up standard, star-like scoringaverages.

Being aware of this makes it easier to spot star potential, such as in the case of Notre Dame's Luke Harangody. There were folks, lastseason, who had the impression that 'Gody came out of nowhere to win Big East Player of the Year as a sophomore. He did only average 20.6 minutes and 11.2points as a freshman -- and wasn't a starter the whole year -- but the truth is, he was acting like a star the whole time. 'Gody was using ateam-high 27.5 percent of the Irish's offensive possessions at a solid efficiency rate of 112.0. The transition to a 29-minute-per-game, go-to guy was easyfor him, and he took on even more of the possession load en route to averaging 20.1 points.

What incoming sophomores, then, might be on the same track as 'Gody? The following three didn't get extensive time to shine as freshmen -- averagingonly around 50 percent of available minutes -- but have psyches hard-wired for high-usage:

Dar Tucker
6-4 Small Forward
DePaul, Soph.
Pct. Minutes Played in '07-08: 56.8
Pct. Possessions used: 28.1
Offensive Efficiency Rating: 107.4

If you're looking for a Big East sophomore with breakout potential -- as Harangody had last season -- Tucker is the most promising candidate. He came toDePaul as a four-star recruit and wasn't exactly hiding as a freshman, averaging 23.6 minutes and finishing as the Blue Demons' second-leading scorerbehind now-departed senior Draelon Burns. Tucker actually used a higher percentage of possessions than Burns (28.1 to 27.1) and they hadalmost identical offensive ratings (107.4 and 108.6), but Tucker played 8.5 fewer minutes per game. If Tucker, an oversized shooting guard, can get marginallybetter from beyond the arc (he shot 32.1 percent as a freshman), he could easily blossom into an 18- or 19-point scorer this season.

LaceDarius Dunn
6-4 Shooting Guard
Baylor, Soph.
Pct. Minutes Played in '07-08: 51.6
Pct. Possessions Used in '07-08: 25.9
Offensive Efficiency Rating: 119.3

Baylor was so overloaded with backcourt talent last season that it could have fielded two winning teams. As a result, Dunn had to take on asupporting role to Curtis Jerrells, Tweety Carter, Henry Dugat and Aaron Bruce, anddidn't get a significant amount of national exposure. Even though he played only 22.0 minutes per game, Dunn had a huge rookie season, averaging 13.6points and finishing with an offensive rating that was almost equal to Michael Beasley's at Kansas State (119.
glasses.gif
. Given that every guardbut Bruce is still on the Bears' roster, Dunn may have to wait until his junior season to fully break out. But he's already Baylor's mosthigh-usage and high-efficiency scorer, which is a strong indicator of future stardom.

Austin Daye
6-10 Small Forward
Gonzaga, Soph.
Pct. Minutes Played in '07-08: 45.6 Pct.
Possessions Used in '07-08: 27.3
Offensive Efficiency Rating: 108.7

The NBA knows that Daye, a stringbean of a small forward, has star potential. He's already projected as the No. 4 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft by DraftExpress. Daye had limited opportunities tostar as a freshman on a deep Zags roster, ranking seventh on the team in average minutes per game (18.5). Yet he was the team's highest-usage player whilehe was on the floor, and he will be their most-efficient returner in the frontcourt. If a sizable chunk of the minutes vacated by the departures of forwardsDavid Pendergraft and Abdullahi Kuso go to Daye, and he's more forceful at drawing contact and getting to the free-throwline (where he's an 88.1 percent shooter), he could have a huge sophomore year. There are, of course, instances where a player displays star tendenciesbut never gets a chance to truly showcase them. Take a look at the case of Booker Woodfox, a transfer to Creighton from San Jacinto JC:

Booker Woodfox
6-1 Shooting Guard
Creighton, Sr.
Pct. Minutes Played in '07-08: 42.8
Pct. Possessions Used in '07-08: 25.7
Offensive Efficiency Rating: 114.1

I feel for Woodfox, a super-sixth man and master impressionist. He fits the starformula -- high usage, high efficiency -- but he'll never be a showcased guy, because he's stuck behind P'Allen Stinnett in theBluejays' two-guard depth chart. Woodfox averaged 17.4 minutes per game last season, and was stellar in those short bursts: His 114.1 efficiency rating wasbetter than elite scoring guards such as Arizona's Jerryd Bayless (112.5) and Indiana's Eric Gordon (112.5), whichmakes Woodfox one valuable weapon off the bench.

High-usage can turn out to be a bad thing when, as Basketball Prospectus made clear, it's not paired with high efficiency. Take the case ofRutgers' Corey Chandler, who took a star's share of possessions last season without delivering star-like stats:

Corey Chandler
6-2 Point Guard
Rutgers, Soph.
Pct. Minutes Played in '07-08: 56.5
Pct. Possessions Used in '07-08: 30.6
Offensive Efficiency Rating: 86.2

The painfully inefficient Chandler accounted for 30.6 percent of Rutgers' offensive possessions while he was on the floor last season, just 0.2 percentfewer than O.J. Mayo used at USC. But while Mayo's efficiency rating happened to be 105.2, Chandler's was an abysmal 86.2. It shouldbe no shock that the Scarlet Knights finished ranked 320th in raw offensive efficiency as a team. Unless Chandler can markedly improve his percentages from thefree-throw line (62.1) and the three-point line (31.
glasses.gif
, Rutgers would be better off redistributing some of its offensive opportunities. Not all usage is goodusage, and bad usage is more well-known by its common name: ball-hogging.

Dar Tucker
6-4 Small Forward
DePaul, Soph.

If you're looking for a Big East sophomore with breakout potential -- as Harangody had last season -- Tucker is the most promising candidate. He came to DePaul as a four-star recruit and wasn't exactly hiding as a freshman, averaging 23.6 minutes and finishing as the Blue Demons' second-leading scorer behind now-departed senior Draelon Burns. Tucker actually used a higher percentage of possessions than Burns (28.1 to 27.1) and they had almost identical offensive ratings (107.4 and 108.6), but Tucker played 8.5 fewer minutes per game. If Tucker, an oversized shooting guard, can get marginally better from beyond the arc (he shot 32.1 percent as a freshman), he could easily blossom into an 18- or 19-point scorer this season.

pimp.gif

Dare.jpg

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Booker Woodfox
6-1 Shooting Guard
Creighton, Sr.
Pct. Minutes Played in '07-08: 42.8
Pct. Possessions Used in '07-08: 25.7
Offensive Efficiency Rating: 114.1

I feel for Woodfox, a super-sixth man and master impressionist. He fits the star formula -- high usage, high efficiency -- but he'll never be a showcased guy, because he's stuck behind P'Allen Stinnett in the Bluejays' two-guard depth chart. Woodfox averaged 17.4 minutes per game last season, and was stellar in those short bursts: His 114.1 efficiency rating was better than elite scoring guards such as Arizona's Jerryd Bayless (112.5) and Indiana's Eric Gordon (112.5), which makes Woodfox one valuable weapon off the bench.

High-usage can turn out to be a bad thing when, as Basketball Prospectus made clear, it's not paired with high efficiency. Take the case of Rutgers' Corey Chandler, who took a star's share of possessions last season without delivering star-like stats:
pimp.gif
My dude...
LaceDarius Dunn
6-4 Shooting Guard
Baylor, Soph.
Pct. Minutes Played in '07-08: 51.6
Pct. Possessions Used in '07-08: 25.9
Offensive Efficiency Rating: 119.3

Baylor was so overloaded with backcourt talent last season that it could have fielded two winning teams. As a result, Dunn had to take on a supporting role to Curtis Jerrells, Tweety Carter, Henry Dugat and Aaron Bruce, and didn't get a significant amount of national exposure. Even though he played only 22.0 minutes per game, Dunn had a huge rookie season, averaging 13.6 points and finishing with an offensive rating that was almost equal to Michael Beasley's at Kansas State (119.. Given that every guard but Bruce is still on the Bears' roster, Dunn may have to wait until his junior season to fully break out. But he's already Baylor's most high-usage and high-efficiency scorer, which is a strong indicator of future stardom.
Absolute STUD... My favorite player in the BigXII right now after Griffin...

WELCOME MARKEL
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

September 25, 2008 - Breaking news just came down - 6'1", 175 pound guard Markel Starks has decided Georgetown will be his future college home, according toD.C. area hoops sources. A junior standout at Georgetown Prep (Bethesda, MD), Starks will in small manner stay within the Georgetown family for college, asPrep's athletic teams are dubbed the Little Hoyas - current NBA rookie Roy Hibbertchose the same path, having graduated from the school four years ago before going on to G'Town, where he prospered.

Coached by former G'Town standout guard Dwayne Bryant, Starks is capable of both scoring and passing. Starks is ranked the 6th best point guard in the Class of 2010, and 35th slotted player overall player by Rivals.com.

As details emerge, HoyaReport.com will provide them. Until then, welcome Markel!

Markel Starks won't be going very far for college. In fact, won'teven have to worry about wearing a new jersey when he plays his first college game.

The 6-foot, 157-pound point guard from Georgetown Prep in Maryland has committed to Georgetown, according to his high school coach Dwayne Bryant.

"He sure did," Bryant said of his star player's decision to pledge to John Thompson, III.

Starks, the star of the Little Hoyas, visited the Big East school on Wednesday and decided to end his recruitment early. The four-star prospect is the firstplayer to commit to the Hoyas in the class of 2010.

Starks also considered Virginia, Georgia, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Vanderbilt, Bryant said.

"My family and myself felt like it was the best opportunity as far as athletically and academically," Starks said. "We felt that it wouldprepare me for after basketball and as well as basketball. As a whole, we felt that it was the best option. I really can't pinpoint what [separatedGeorgetown]. With all of the other schools, they were great, but we felt that Georgetown was great for me."

Bryant, a former Georgetown player, said he believes Starks will be a good player in Thompson's style of play.

"I think he can be very successful in the system. He and I have talked about it before and I know [Thompson] and Markel have talked about it before toothat it might be an adjustment for him early on because for us he's had to do a lot of different things. He's our primary scoring option as well as ourfacilitator. It will be an adjustment for him but he understands that," Bryant said.

"He knows what challenges are ahead of him and that's why I'm confident in his decision to go there because he understands all that is involved inthat decision."

Starks said he will bring a do-whatever-it-takes mentality with him to college.

"I want to come in and contribute to the team in whatever I have to do. If it means shooting threes or waving a towel, I just want to come in andcontribute," he said. "I'm not saying I want to be a benchwarmer but with my ability, I feel like I can come in and contribute early."

It didn't hurt that Georgetown is just minutes away from his home either. However, Starks said location wasn't the only reason why he picked theprogram.

"If Georgetown were three hours away, it would still be the perfect situation. Fortunately it's right here and I'm the most comfortablehere," Starks said. "Sometimes in life you might have do things that are outside of your comfort zone and in this instance, I had to go with mygut."

we got a good one
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1659850664?bclid=1659879241&bctid=1662474871http://link.brightcove.co...9241&bctid=1662474871

Flynn sees a rebound season for Syracuse

By Mike DeCourcy - SportingNews 4 hours, 31 minutes ago

Buzz Up
Print

Mike Decourcy
SportingNews.com

College basketball's best point guard has three chief goals for this season:

1. Get his team back to the NCAA Tournament.

2. Average 8 assists per game.

3. Successfully lobby coach Jim Boeheim to play more man defense.

In high school, Jonny Flynn was the finest on-ball defender to grace the ABCD Camp in a decade, but choosing Syracuse meant leaving behind his preference forman-to-man. Boeheim plays zone. Everybody knows that. But if Joe Lieberman can show up and speak at the Republican National Convention, Flynn might not bewasting his time attempting to convert his coach.
ADVERTISEMENT

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't do that," Flynn said. "Every day I talk to him and say, 'Coach, let's play a little moreman-to-man.' I love picking up a guy at 94 feet and trying to shut him down.

"It was hard last year because we didn't have much bench depth. This year, I think you'll see a lot more man-to-man defense."

Syracuse fans could get used to that, but certainly not to the program's current NCAA drought. The Orange have been on the outside two years in a row, thefirst time they missed in consecutive years since 1981 and 1982. They weren't far off either time, but that is little solace for a program that won thechampionship a little more than five years ago and that habitually was fulfilled on Selection Sunday.

Flynn, a sturdy 6-0, 189 pounds, believes it'll be different in his sophomore year. SU's .500 record in the Big East last season wasn't that bad;Villanova got into the tournament with the same league mark, and eventual conference tournament champion Pitt was only one game better.

The Orange lost their leading scorer from that team, 6-10 forward Donte Greene, who left for the NBA draft after one season. But it's easy to forgetveteran guard Eric Devendorf missed the final two-thirds of last season and sweet-shooting wing Andy Rautins didn't play at all. Big Arinze Onuakucontinues to develop as an offensive presence and small forward Paul Harris is a reliable source of energy.

Devendorf should be good for at least 60 3-pointers this season and Rautins for at least that many. Instead of passing mostly to one guy-Greene-Flynn will beable to spread the ball around, to penetrate the lane and kick it out to open shooters.

"I think playing this year with more shooters on the court is going to do me a lot of justice," Flynn said. "You won't have teams sagging inand closing up the middle. You'll be seeing a Jonny Flynn that's going to distribute the ball a lot more.

"Last year I had to go out there and score points to try to win games … It really doesn't matter to me how much scoring I do. The only thing thatmatters is winning. Just to get back to the Syracuse glory days-we went to the NIT two years in a row, and we can't do that any more."

Flynn averaged 15.7 points as a freshman-but that figure went up by three per game after Devendorf tore his ACL. That injury changed everything for Syracuse.It stripped the team of any hope it had for a deep rotation, took away one of its primary scoring options and left Flynn to manage the backcourt on his own.

He'd come to rely on the experienced eyes of Devendorf spotting subtle changes on the court and relaying them to Flynn before Boeheim could get word infrom the bench.

"Eric was averaging about 17 points a game, and losing that says a lot," Flynn said. "But there was more to it-a lot of leadership things he wastelling me about on the court. Everything was clicking. Losing him made it noticeably different."

Davidson's Stephen Curry is the best player who'll be stationed at point guard this season, but he still is mastering the position. Flynn is the bestpoint guard because he is light on weaknesses and committed to his team. Flynn acknowledges the talents of North Carolina's Ty Lawson, UCLA's DarrenCollison, Connecticut's A.J. Price and Villanova's Corey Fisher. Flynn said each is amazing, but adds, "Hopefully I'll be the top point guardin the country."

He had an assist/turnover ratio of nearly 2-to-1, shot the ball effectively from 3-point range, scored big when he had to, averaged 5.3 assists on a team withlimited weapons, rarely left the floor in the latter part of the season and defends as though every opposing basket personally offends him.

"Losing Donte was a big loss for us. A lot of people in Syracuse are really mad at him, but he was a great player and had to do what he had to do,"Flynn said. "If we can go through the season with no injuries, we can be a really good team.

"I think people are going to be really surprised."

Nate Miles completed his Freshmen orientation at Uconn....

He got arrested.

STORRS, Conn. (AP) -- Connecticut freshman basketball player Nate Miles has been arrested on charges he violated a restraining order.

According to UConn Police arrest records, Miles was served with a restraining order on Sept. 22, but violated it by placing a phone call to the protectedparty that day. That person is not named.

Miles was released Thursday after posting a $2,500 bond and is due in court Sept. 30.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

He got arrested.

STORRS, Conn. (AP) -- Connecticut freshman basketball player Nate Miles has been arrested on charges he violated a restraining order.

According to UConn Police arrest records, Miles was served with a restraining order on Sept. 22, but violated it by placing a phone call to the protected party that day. That person is not named.

Miles was released Thursday after posting a $2,500 bond and is due in court Sept. 30.

Heard about this earlier, cant believe we cant shake these stupid arrests....but nice pick up with Starks, kid could be a stud

He got arrested.

According to UConn Police arrest records, Miles was served with a restraining order on Sept. 22, but violated it by placing a phone call to the protected party that day. That person is not named.

See he got a taste of that [Uncle Ruckus] sweet white nectar [\Uncle Ruckus].

He got arrested.

He's an absolute waste on and off the court. He was at the UConn - Baylor football game actin' like a drunk fool in the stands,harassin' broads left and right. Jim, get rid of this bum, he wouldn't even start at most mid-major programs.

He got arrested.

It Just Wouldn't Be Right!!!
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

As far as Jonny goes he needs to cut down on the T.O's this season as well and he'll definitely be top 3
pimp.gif

Not having to go 40 minutes a night and havin Dorf' as a ball handler is gona equal a big season.

As much as it pains me to say...by the end of the year he could be the best in the country

Not having to go 40 minutes a night and havin Dorf' as a ball handler is gona equal a big season.

As much as it pains me to say...by the end of the year he could be the best in the country
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Dar Tucker
6-4 Small Forward
DePaul, Soph.

If you're looking for a Big East sophomore with breakout potential -- as Harangody had last season -- Tucker is the most promising candidate. He came to DePaul as a four-star recruit and wasn't exactly hiding as a freshman, averaging 23.6 minutes and finishing as the Blue Demons' second-leading scorer behind now-departed senior Draelon Burns. Tucker actually used a higher percentage of possessions than Burns (28.1 to 27.1) and they had almost identical offensive ratings (107.4 and 108.6), but Tucker played 8.5 fewer minutes per game. If Tucker, an oversized shooting guard, can get marginally better from beyond the arc (he shot 32.1 percent as a freshman), he could easily blossom into an 18- or 19-point scorer this season.

pimp.gif

Dare.jpg

Playing with him and Mac was the funniest isssh ever...i think we ran the court for a good 6 or 7 games then left
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

(Stack) YOU SEE IT!!!!! (Stack)
pimp.gif

I seriously believe that to be the case, but I've been speaking on him sicne he was in hs so it tends to come off as biased. But having to do it all byhimself actually helped him for this upcoming season, his learning curve was steeper than most ever encounter. So with the added rest and talent he should bemore laid back and efficient which would make him jus what you said
pimp.gif

Big Ten Program Snags Muniru

Bawa Muniru
By Evan Daniels
Recruiting Analyst
Posted Sep 25, 2008
568491.jpg

Bawa Muniru just needed one official visit to make his collegiate decision. His game is headed to the Big Ten conference.

News that Bawa Muniru made a commitment began to circulate Thursday evening, and according to a source he verbally committed to Indiana.
When we reached Muniru he confirmed his commitment to Tom Crean's program, but his comment about the situation was brief.

"Yes I did [commit]," Muniru, a three-star prospect, told Scout.com.

The 6-foot-10, 250-pound big man took an official visit to the Bloomington (Ind.) campus this past weekend.

To go with Indiana, a host of high major programs were in the mix including Oklahoma, Louisville, Oklahoma State, Tulsa, Tulane and Southern California.

The Hoosiers now have six commitments in their star studded 2009 class. Muniru joins Christian Watford, Jordan Hulls, Maurice Creek, Bobby Capobianco and DerekElston.

There's things Johnny can do physically that Ty' just can't. Believe it or not Ty is my #1 coming into this year
laugh.gif

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=74089
Will Regan, a 2010 forward from The Nichols School in Buffalo, N.Y., will continue his aggressive visit tour. This weekend he will be on Penn State's campus.
Yall really using that Albany/City Rocks connection huh, Craftsy?

St. John's is doing everything it can to lure ballyhooed shooting guard Lance Stephenson to Fresh Meadows, and it rolled out the red carpet for the topprospect at this evening's Midnight Madness event at Taffner Fieldhouse.

Nearly every top area high school standout showed up, but Stephenson was easily the most visible. Most of the other potential Johnnies stood or walkedaround during the scrimmage, but Stephenson sat near the front row with his mom and dad. Anthony Mason Jr. sat down next to him after an intrasquad scrimmage,and Stephenson and his parents conversed with Norm Roberts and his staff throughout the evening.

At one point, the crowd chanted for him, begging him to commit to St. John's.

"If I was Lance, I would have committed here (right now)," said Johnnies guard Malik Boothe, making his own recruiting pitch. "Because if thefans were yelling at me that they wanted me …"

Stephenson, however, remained noncommittal about his interest in the Johnnies. He didn't say whether the Red Storm's Midnight Madness had pushed St.John's up on his list, but he told the Daily News he liked some of the improvements that the school is making to its facilities and said he enjoyed theevent.

"It was nice," he said. "I liked it."

The Red Storm seem to have a decent shot at Stephenson, and they're also making headway with a handful of other local prospects. Top JUCO big man JarridFamous said the Johnnies are "in my top 10", and Loughlin forward Jayvaughn Pinkston, a top target for 2010, said he likes the location of theschool.

"It's close to home," he said. "And they want me as a three (small forward.)"

Touted forwards Ashton Pankey, Devon Collier and Derrick Williams also attended the event, as did Class of 2011 point guard prospects Sterling Gibbs andCorey Edwards.

Bonynton and Favors are visiting Ga Tech this weekend

Just a few schools with some interesting visitors for the weekend. . i'd say this is a huge weekend for GTech and that's an understatement.

Georgia Tech: Derrick Favors, Kenny Boynton, Mfon Udofia
Connecticut: Durand Scott
Miami: Brandon Knight, Khyle Marshall
Marquette: Michael Snaer
Michigan: Darius Morris, Trey Zeigler, Brandan Kearney, Nate Lubick, Percy Gibson, Austin Carrol, Jordan Morgan, Christian Vaughn, Amir Williams
Indiana: Chris Braswell, Maurice Creek, Spencer Turner, Marques Teague
Clemson: Jamail Jones

[h2]Wright Likes Experienced 'Nova Squad
Posted on Sep 25, 2008 12:20 pm[/h2]
510269.jpeg
With a roster loaded with seniors, juniors and experienced sophomores, Villanova coach Jay Wright likes his team going into the 2008-09 college basketball season.

In a brutal league that could send as many as 10 teams to the Big Dance, experience will count for a lot.

Villanova finished 22-13 a year ago, 9-9 in the Big East, which was good enough for an eighth-place finish. This year's squad certainly has enough talent and maturity to improve on that placement.

"This year, in the preseason, we have great leaders in (Dante) Cunningham and (Dwayne) Anderson and (Shane) Clark and Frank Tchuisi, they just run things on their own," Wright said during an extended interview. "You have sophomores in (Corey) Stokes and (Corey) Fisher and (Antonio) Pena who had good freshmen years, learned a lot and are playing like veterans. We only have one freshman, (6-11 center) Maurice Sutton, so it's been really fun playing with an experienced group." He also pointed out that Duke transfer Taylor King comes with a year of experience under Coach K.

2161285.jpeg
Wright just listed almost his entire roster and didn't yet mention star junior guard Scottie Reynolds, who averaged team-highs of 15.9 points and 3.2 assists last year despite facing a number of injuries.

"You know, he was really banged up last year," Wright said. "We didn't talk about it a lot, but he had a lot of nagging injuries and played through them. At the end of the year, he finally got healthy and that's when our team started to click.

"I think you're going to see a healthy, mature Scottie Reynolds. I think he's really starting to understand the point guard position better at the end of last year. He's healthy and very mature and we're really excited about what he can do this year."

Reynolds could well leave for the NBA after his junior season, and Wright said that conversation will happen after the year.

"If he's in a good position in terms of the NBA guys, I will support him 100 percent," Wright said. "He's so good academically, I never worry about coming back for his degree."

As for Fisher, a Bronx native who led St. Patrick of Elizabeth to back-to-back Tournament of Champions titles under Kevin Boyle, Wright sees another player with significant experience under his belt who can run the point.

"At this point last year, Corey Fisher had never played a Big East game," Wright said. "Now he hit a 3 at the NCAA tournament against Clemson that won the game for us. So if I'm talking to him, 'You've got that under your belt. You're a completely different person. Conditioning level, maturity, everything is just 100 percent better. He really changed his body."

2161288.jpeg
As for Stokes, a former McDonald's All-American who played for Dan Hurley at St. Benedict's Prep, he struggled early with his shot during his freshman season.

"I think the intensity and the speed just shocked him," Wright said.

But Stokes came on strong down the stretch, averaging 12 points in his last 12 games, including in the Big East and NCAA tournaments. He scored a career-high 20 in a second-round upset of Siena in the Big Dance.

Since then, Stokes has improved his body dramatically.

"After going through his first Big East season, he really motivated himself in terms of strength training and conditioning to change his body, to change his conditioning level," Wright said.

6-10 junior center Casiem Drummond from Bloomfield Tech broke his ankle last year and probably won't be ready until the first day of practice.

Wright will need all of his available players because he believes the Big East is supremely loaded, and like most coaches, he puts Louisville and UConn at the top.

"This league, it's incredible and no one's really slipping," he said. "Everyone's getting better.

"I think that Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Marquette could be right there, I really do."

The Wildcats open Nov. 14 against Albany and then play in the Philly Classic at the Palestra around Thanksgiving. They face Rick Barnes and Texas in the Jimmy V Classic Dec. 9 at MSG. The Cats also come to Seton Hall Jan. 6.

"We got a great schedule," Wright said.

No you don't. You're in a great conference with a cupcake OOC...

There's things Johnny can do physically that Ty' just can't. Believe it or not Ty is my #1 coming into this year
laugh.gif

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=74089
Will Regan, a 2010 forward from The Nichols School in Buffalo, N.Y., will continue his aggressive visit tour. This weekend he will be on Penn State's campus.

I assume we're talking about Rice and not Lawson, atleast I hope so

Hmmmmm... ala Duke Great Christian Laettner... I'ma have to make a call to my cousins and get the knowledge on this young man.

Back
Top Bottom