College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

6. Fields
7. Flynn
57b25e542d74580b57ca4ac5b63fe8287684142.gif
6f425a84da72981158ba31c5917ed912643fc3a.gif

Damn, ya'll put in 2+ pages of work in one got' damn day.

yeah...Dre...Paulus actually attempted to make me a fan last year....almost there.
2f035962e1edb94e6036aece39971ebbb4d4843.gif

It'll be interesting to see the rotation K goes with in regards to the backcourt. Paulus and Nolan, with Williams and Scheyer coming off the bench? Ilike the work Scheyer put in coming off the bench but I think he deserves to start. Yet you can't really have Paulus and Scheyer on the court at the sametime cause they're defensive liabilities.

And Cake, gimme Roscoe. Dude is the GOODS, word to chicken and waffles (cor-ny).

Originally Posted by allen3xis

yeah...Dre...Paulus actually attempted to make me a fan last year....almost there.
Yeah, Me too.

He definitely went from "Oh $*+!. This %***$+%+@!!$ Greg Paulus. He's a *$@+%++ bum. I hate this bastard", to "My dude Greg
pimp.gif
"

I still remember when he didn't pass JJ the ball for the potential game tying shot when we lost to G-Town.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

But, he gonna make up for it this year, drop a cool 21 and 5 on y'all and have you hate him again....
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i'm not trying to sound like a homer, and i usually like Lindy's...but no Pat Patterson anywhere on the list?? seriously??

and allen, i don't know what's with your love for Terrance Williams...he's got all the athleticism in the world, but his basketball IQ???? it's.....well, he just does things that make you
eyes.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
, with the occasional
eek.gif

1.Curry
Steph
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Interested to see his transition to more of a PG role..
2.Vaden
Beast
pimp.gif

3.Dionte Christmas
Too high IMO. He's the goods though.
4.Jrue Holiday
4th best 2 guard in the nation??? And he hasn't played one second of college ball yet????
indifferent.gif

5.Jack McClinton
I hate him, but he's a potent scorer
6.Ellington
Tends to dissapear...Is a pretty good player though.
8.Tyreke Evans
I @!+@ w/ 'Reke, but as w/ Holiday, to high to not have played a game yet.
11.Jerel McNeal
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Best player that doesn't get enough credit...As evidenced by his #11 billing
12.Wink Adams
pimp.gif

wink.gif

13.AJ Abrams
laugh.gif
I know my dude Dirk hates him...but I @!+@ w/ AJ. Him and DJ were my favorite backcourt in the nation last year.
14.KC Rivers
Shooter, from Charlotte...What more can you ask for???
pimp.gif
Toobad he goes to Clempsun
16.Kyle McAlarney
laugh.gif
Allen's boy
19.Shootie Reynolds
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Boy is still prone to put up too many shots...But talent is there and isundeniable
21.Marcus Thornton
Biggest gunner that no one knows about
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. Best 2 in the SEC though...Boy is a machine.
23.Antonio Anderson
pimp.gif

We'll see more about what type of player he really is W/ Pooh and CDR gone
24.E'Twaun Moore
Y'all better get familiar
25.Jon Scheyer
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I'll let Haiti chime in on him..But, best 6th man in the ACC.

but no Pat Patterson anywhere on the list?? seriously??
he was #2 for C's

As far as Williams...nah he didn't improve as much as he shoulda last year..but I still like his overall game...

But not better than a 1 dimensional player? (Ginyard)

..and I mess with McAlarney...my guy looks like he just woke up, took a few pulls and then goes hoisting 30 footers.

Jock0126081.jpg

laugh.gif

drop a cool 21 and 5 on y'all and have you hate him again....
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

that traditional Duke man to man is gona get carved up. He coulda stayed with John.....But Wright and Clark? Nope. I look forward to itthough...the 1 game I know we won't see a zone...cause that *#$+ gets boring quick.

Rumor on Hoyatalk that Markel Starks may decide tonight.

And it's between G'Town and Stanford

I do prefer him over Thornton so...fingers crossed.

September 24, 2008
[h1]Ryan Kelly visit update[/h1]
Carlos A Doty
HoyaReport.com Publisher

Talk about it in Hoya Premium Court
The rumor mills seems to swirl daily for Rivals' 20th ranked player from the 2009 class, 6-foot-9 versatile forward Ryan Kelly. Particularly among fans of Georgetown, Notre Dame, Duke,UNC, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest, who are currently the six finalists for the services of one of the nation's most skilled face-up forwards.

Kelly just wrapped up a busy travel schedule officially visiting Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Notre Dame and Georgetown in successive weekends in exactly thatorder, leaving open the option of taking an additional visit if need be as student athletes are allowed 5 official visits per NCAA guidelines. Although hisofficial visit schedule appears to have come to a close, he did mention, "I have no [additional] official visits [planned], but I'm certainly going totalk to Duke and Carolina in the next week or two. If I need to make an unofficial visit and sit down with their coaches, then location wise being so closeit's pretty easy to get there", stated Ryan.

Due to the relative proximately of his Raleigh, NC home to the two in-state heavyweights, he didn't see a need to schedule an official visit for either,but maintaining that he can find out as much as he needs to know by taking an unofficial visit on his own dime.

In addition to the official visit Kelly recently took to Georgetown, he has unofficially visited the campus on two separate occasions as well. Add in a recentin-home visit to the Kelly household and there has been a substantial amount of mutual interest shown between Kelly and the Hoyas.

So if the rumor mill is correct and things are really down to Notre Dame and Duke for his signature, someoneforgot to tell Kelly.

"That's completely false. I keep it close to the vest but at the same time, I couldn't tell you who my favoriteswere to be completely honest. All those 6 schools right now are all completely even.
At this point right now, those 6 schools have an equalchance. My parents don't even have an idea what I'm going to do, I don't know how one of my buddies would know what I'm doing," Kellyresponded when questioned about the baseless rumors that have been circulating in cyberspace of his so called top two attributed to someone that is supposed tobe in his inner circle.

Kelly did pick an excellent weekend to make a visit to South Bend, IN as he was able to watch Notre Dame come out victorious against Michigan. He alsoreflected somewhat on the football experience at Notre Dame as he mentioned, "That's a nice thing to have and it is fun to go and visit and watch afootball game like that, but that couldn't effect my decision and that's nothing that you could base a decision upon."

So enough with the competition, let's get back to his Georgetown visit.

Kelly drove up with his parents and was able to see the campus, sit in on a couple of classes and get a feel for the academic environment at Georgetown. Butmost importantly what he has expressed to me on several occasions is that he's looking for a good relationship with his teammates and somewhere he feels athome.

"I think they all seemed like really nice guys and I had fun with them, I enjoyed playing with them and hanging out with them and that's a good thing.They told me everything they could about the basketball program and Georgetown and everything about the school", stated Kelly. It was also mentioned byothers that watched the informal pick-up games that Kelly seemed to fit in very well with the team, both from a basketball standpoint and from a camaraderieperspective.

One thing about Kelly that I believe leaves a lot of people guessing is his introspective nature. Although he's catapulted up the rankings from someonethat was once considered a strong mid-major player to someone who has turned down the scholarship offers of some of the best college basketball programs in thecountry, including the entire Pac 10, he doesn't seem in awe of his situation.

He has a very calculated approach to handling the recruiting process as he related, "I went through all of these visits and tried the best I could to lookat them very individually when I was there and look at everyone separately and make no comparisons until all the visits are over. Sometime next week or theweek after that I'm going to sit down with my coach and my parents and kind of lay it all out. I don't have a timeframe, but I would like to get itdone before the basketball season. Practice starts October 27th. I just want to be able to play with it being off my shoulders."

I know the rumor mill works overtime a lot and sometimes they actually pan out, but from every indication he has personally indicated to me on various separateconversations, I've never been lead to believe that one school or another is sitting in the driver's seat. But Ryan Kelly aside, it appears veryobvious to me that at least we can put one false rumor to bed, which is that the Hoyas are only focusing on the 2010 class. Both Ryan Kelly andTerrell Vinson would strongly disagree with thatstatement.

I don't want the kid, yall can have this one

Originally Posted by allen3xis

drop a cool 21 and 5 on y'all and have you hate him again....
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
that traditional Duke man to man is gona get carved up. He coulda stayed with John.....But Wright and Clark? Nope. I look forward to it though...the 1 game I know we won't see a zone...cause that *#$+ gets boring quick.

Yeah, that's true.

Should be fun.

I'd be shocked if it didn't get up into the high 70's, low 80's.

A young team down in that place is not a recipe for success though.

Tonight at 10:30pm (EST), ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will be airing "Second Chance Season", a documentary about Nick Young's triumph over tragedy through the game of basketball.

About the Documentary
Second Chance Season explores the long-term, residual effects a senseless killing can have on a single family. This documentary recounts one family's desperate attempt to triumph over tragedy by placing all of its hopes in the basketball aspirations of its youngest son.

The centerpiece of the story is 17-year-old Nick, a two-time high school dropout who is given an eleventh hour reprieve by the school board and allowed to come back for his senior year.

Following the murder of his brother, Nick struggles to keep his family together, but his hoop dreams become a nearly unbearable burden as he realizes that only by succeeding both on and off the court with his family focus on the future and stop dwelling on its tragic past.

For those who checked the trailer that came out a longggg time ago.

Someone find out when they will replay it.

Defensive stoppers don't earn plaudits, just wins

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Fran Fraschilla
Kansas coach Bill Self once told me that the goal of his team is to hold opponents to one or no shots on each defensive possession.
[+] http://sports.espn.go.com...3605197&story=3067475','Popup','width=640,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">Enlarge
http://sports.espn.go.com...3605197&story=3067475','Popup','width=640,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">
ncb_u_varnado_300.jpg

Nelson Chenault/US PRESSWIRE

Mississippi State's Jarvis Varnado (right) disrupts offenses with his shot-blocking ability.
This means that in order to be successful, a good defensive team must either create turnovers, force tough shots, block shots or eliminate second shots. There are various criteria in basketball when judging what makes a good individual defender. It's similar to comparing how a defensive lineman can dominate the line of scrimmage versus the way a "shutdown" corner can impact an opponent's passing offense. This coming college basketball season, don't just pay attention to who is scoring points for teams that win. Keep an eye on the guys who keep people from scoring as well. Here are some of the best defenders in college basketball. They will, without fanfare, affect the outcome of a lot of games this year. 1. Jarvis Varnado, Mississippi State
Inch for inch, Vornado is the best shot-blocker in the country. In fact, he averaged about a block every six defensive possessions last year. Although 6-9 and just 210 pounds, he has a 7-foot-4 wingspan and the great timing to disrupt any offense. Just ask coaches in the SEC, where he had five or more blocks in eight different conference games.
2. Hasheem Thabeet/Jeff Adrien, UConn
While Thabeet could emerge as the country's most improved big man on the offensive end this season, at 7-3 he is already a Dikembe Mutombo-like force on defense for Jim Calhoun. With Adrien's presence alongside Thabeet, the Huskies will defend the basket like a Secret Service detail on the campaign trail. They are the major reasons UConn will emerge from a rare two-year slumber.

3. Jerel McNeal, Marquette
If you look in the dictionary under the description "junkyard dog," you will see a picture of this guy. Although he's only 6-foot-3, he's got the competitiveness, strength and athletic ability to guard four positions on the court and is the Golden Eagles' most important player.

4. Marcus Ginyard, North Carolina
On a team with three or four projected NBA players in the starting lineup, Roy Williams has the luxury of having the selfless Ginyard to do some much-needed dirty work. In fact, last season, he guarded four different positions. If the Tar Heels win it all, Ginyard will quietly have a lot to do with it.

5. Jonny Flynn, Syracuse
You may not get to see it as long as he sits in Jim Boeheim's effective 2-3 zone, but the feisty Flynn was the best on-ball defender entering college last season. It's hard to imagine many better competitors in college basketball than him. Even with Eric Devendorf and Andy Rautins returning from injuries, Flynn should be the Orange's heart and soul.

6. Antonio Anderson, Memphis
Lost in the hype of Derrick Rose, CDR and the Dribble Drive Offense was that John Calipari's team was really good defensively a year ago. Anderson's 6-6 frame made him ideally suited to guard all three perimeter spots for the Final Four Tigers. Without the explosive scoring of last year's club, Anderson's toughness and tenacity will key another big Memphis year.

7. Chris Kramer, Purdue
If any Boilermakers player epitomizes the traditional toughness that former Purdue coach Gene Keady built the program with and pupil/current coach Matt Painter resurrected it with, it is Chris Kramer. He is put together like a linebacker with a nose for the ball, averaging a steal every 20 defensive trips down the floor.

8. Jon Brockman, Washington
Brockman is the classic definition of a "nose for the ball" guy. While you wouldn't think of him as a defensive stopper, Brockman is one of the best defensive rebounders in college basketball. Throw in a few floor burns and a couple of charges and you get an idea of why a lot of coaches would build their teams around him.

9. Bryan Mullins, Southern Illinois
The Salukis play the most fundamentally sound half-court man defense in college basketball. They pressure the ball, get a hand up on every shot and fight through screens like they are trying to board a rush-hour subway train. This year's poster child for coach Chris Lowery's defense is Mullins, a senior point guard and a hard-nosed Chicago Catholic League product.

10. Darren Collison, UCLA
If you play for Ben Howland, playing defense becomes as second nature as breathing. Collison is right there with Jonny Flynn as one of the country's best ball hawks. Although he was bested by D.J. Augustin early last year and dominated by Derrick Rose in the Final Four, he still has the quickness, athletic ability and tenacity to handle any point guard in college basketball this season.

Honorable Mention:
Jerome Jordan, Tulsa
Justin Mason, Texas
Devan Downey, South Carolina
Rene Rougeau, UNLV
Garrett Temple, LSU
Marcus Landry, Wisconsin
Joe Krabbenhoft, Wisconsin
Cole Aldrich, Kansas

laugh.gif
I know my dude Dirk hates him...but I @!+@ w/ AJ. Him and DJ were my favorite backcourt in the nation last year.
Thank God he's a senior...
laugh.gif
Damn bum...

Somebody just hit me up and asked me if Markel Starks was coming to Georgetown...apparently there's a rumor out there that says he plans on committing thisweek. I haven't heard anything. I'd be super happy if he did. Markel was a youngin in elementary school at National Christian when all us old headswhere ballin. He was like 10 out there in open gym with 18 year olds

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

Somebody just hit me up and asked me if Markel Starks was coming to Georgetown...apparently there's a rumor out there that says he plans on committing this week. I haven't heard anything. I'd be super happy if he did. Markel was a youngin in elementary school at National Christian when all us old heads where ballin. He was like 10 out there in open gym with 18 year olds
yeah somebody that goes to Prep with him has put it out there...

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

1.James Harden
pimp.gif

am i reaching when i say harden can average 20, 5 and 4 next season?

Nope.

Not at all.

I expect something like that from him next year anyways...

Originally Posted by ezeemaL

COLLISON SUCKS!!!!!!!!!
smh.gif
smh.gif
. GOD HE IS SO OVERRATED
smh.gif
. YES I'M MAD
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Well damn Chitownlegend...Tell us how you really feel...
laugh.gif

(I'm not on the Collison bandwagon either)

Back
Top Bottom