Community Colleges accounting CPA want to be wealthy

Originally Posted by 40inchBoost

I'm starting at a Big 4 full time this August and cant wait to be frank.

Lot of people have bad things to say about Big 4, but in all honesty, what did they expect? I dont think working at a big 4 automatically means I will be 'wealthy' per se, but It will give me the opportunity to build a skill set that can add value to an organization. I mean realistically if you look at most executives at fortune 500 companies, alot have Big 4 backgrounds. Does that automatically mean everyone will reach those positions? No but i think it gives you the option/opportunity if that's what you wish to pursue.

I will be working in a Mid-market city and I think employees really benefit more so there than a large city like LA or NY. Because our office is smaller, as a staff you get to do more things within an audit than you would if you were working in NY or LA. Their intern classes were like 200+ where ours was like 16.

The progression and salary progression in Public accounting is tough to find elsewhere (besides finance/IBs,etc..), especially compared to industry positions. If you're willing to work hard and accept that its going to be a grind, then its a great route. If your not ready to work hard and learn as much as possible I'm sure life would be hell at a big 4.
Hit the nail on the head.  I'll be starting at a Big 4 this August as well.  However I was in a large city (SF to be exact).  At intern training, we had around 70 interns, nowhere near the number NY had
laugh.gif
.  But definitely a lot more than offices like Charlotte or Des Moines.  Which firm are you going to be working at?

Peeps here claim they are working for BIG FOUR but are reluctant to give more information out. LOLZ

^ are you claiming wolf? or what do you want to know?

They know who they are.  It's not for me to say.

The whole prestige talk is silly.  It might work, but a few years down, it'll fizzle.

Like you've said, and like what I've been trying to say, trying to improve your lifestyle requires you to adapt.  The linear mindset that OP has won't work.  Guys w/ linear mindset think INSIDE the box.

I'm starting at a Big 4 full time this August and cant wait to be frank.

Lot of people have bad things to say about Big 4, but in all honesty, what did they expect? I dont think working at a big 4 automatically means I will be 'wealthy' per se, but It will give me the opportunity to build a skill set that can add value to an organization. I mean realistically if you look at most executives at fortune 500 companies, alot have Big 4 backgrounds. Does that automatically mean everyone will reach those positions? No but i think it gives you the option/opportunity if that's what you wish to pursue.

I will be working in a Mid-market city and I think employees really benefit more so there than a large city like LA or NY. Because our office is smaller, as a staff you get to do more things within an audit than you would if you were working in NY or LA. Their intern classes were like 200+ where ours was like 16.

The progression and salary progression in Public accounting is tough to find elsewhere (besides finance/IBs,etc..), especially compared to industry positions. If you're willing to work hard and accept that its going to be a grind, then its a great route. If your not ready to work hard and learn as much as possible I'm sure life would be hell at a big 4.

And I think anyone can be wealthy if they learn to live beneath their means.
From what I've read both on here and elsewhere I would have to agree with this statement.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Industry?

Audit/Tax?

Client?

City? what do you mean?
Audit/tax and what industry are they putting you in?  

I'm on the Audit side. As of right now I'm scheduled to be on two public tech clients and a lumber manufacturer. I requested to be put on public clients. During my internship I was lucky enough to get a taste of everything, including public, non-profits, healthcare and schools, as well as some EBP audits, I learned a lot and had a great expierence but I felt like in the long run considering my ambitions It would benefit my career the most to get that public/integrated/sox audit exposure with public clients.

On the techside, make sure you're getting exposure to revenue recognition and stockholder's equity. Those will be the areas that would be worthwhile to you if you want to move into public (or a future public company).

Non-profit/GAO accounting makes my brain hurt. I had some clients in that realm before...but since I wasn't at big 4, you can imagine how bad their books were.

Anywhere you can pick up tax knowledge too will only benefit you, keep that in mind too.

Back
Top Bottom