Dad pulls son out of high school to focus on gaming career

With Dad’s support, one teen is playing video games instead of going to high school
“I’ve been breeding him for this.”

crimz4.jpg

SUDBURY (CBS) – First thing in the morning and last thing before bed, you will most likely find 16-year-old, Jordan Herzog, of Sudbury on his computer with his headphones on and laser focused. “I’ve known this all my life. I used to play sports but that kind of fell through because I didn’t really enjoy it as much and I realized how much I enjoyed video games,” Jordan said.

He’s been playing video games since he was three years old. With quick wrists and fast fingers he’s now an ESports professional athlete. The gaming world knows him as Crimz.

His favorite is the popular game Fortnite.

“Fortnite is a 100 player battle royale, people drop into the arena, people try to survive, be the last team standing,” Jordan said.

He plays it all day long, which is why he’s now one of the best in the world beating other pros and makes big money doing it.

“I play ten hours a day of Fortnite. This year I’ll be making around $100-150k at the minimum,” he said.

Now the Sudbury native is heading to the Fortnite World Championship competing for a $30 million dollar prize pool. “First place gets $5.5 million. So me and my teammate are preparing every single day to get ready for that championship,” Jordan said.

His father, who’s also in the gaming industry, recognized his talent, so he removed him from Lincoln-Sudbury High School and enrolled him in online courses. Now he can spend more time practicing in his $20,000 game room. “Gaming chairs, the table alone was $1,000 table that goes up and down. So he needs this precise height of the table so his wrist move a certain way,” David Herzog said.

Crimz spends endless amounts of hours in his gaming room. It appears to be paying off. His father says last month he made $85,000 just from playing Fortnite in his room. Now he’s getting ready for the championship.

“It’s going to be 50 duos in one match. Best of the best around the world. It’s going to be really tough, but if we do it, we are going to make it big,” Jordan said.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/05/10/jordan-herzog-crimz-fortnite-championship-sudbury-esports/

honestly speaking I feel like the ppl I was around/with were basically the grassroots of what you see now (in fighting games, not fortnite or fps or whatever fortnite is). while only a very few handful of the players I came up with are making that kind of bread now, if we had that opportunity we def would have pursued it. we did it for fun but needed funding and came out of pocket in many ways.

they're getting sponsored and ****. good for them. have a plan b and be ready for the next game(s) and all that but yeah. get this bread, there's money to be made.

If the the goal is to get paid and they paying, why not?

He's just taking online classes so he's still advancing in school.

I don't think it's healthy overall, (to be playing so much video games) but his parents support him, and it's what he wants so it's whatever.

The kid could be lacking when it comes to social interactions etc in the real world which for some may not be healthy.
I can't speak for the type of games he's probably into... but as far as fighting games go and tournaments in general you travel and make connections, share ideas/info and you never know where that can take you.
I know ppl that started out with common interests that def make wild bread now on some business stuff off the strength of watching each other in the arcades.

the fps thing is different than fighting games tho but a lot still travel and make connections.
a lot of teams that sponser now seem to have crossed over into each other's lanes so you have teams associated with one genre of games with a team of ppl that only play another, different genre of games. they're trying to reach more ppl and make more money.

Unhealthy due to large portions of time sitting and not exercising the body. Long hours are bad for the eyes and I believe causes stress for the mind. Just my guess though
i'd honestly say that most gamers are a reflection of this society in general as far as body types. you're going to see a lil bit of everything if you get out there and go to tournaments.

Even office sitting employees are encouraged to break up their sitting down with walking around or standing up throughout the day

Eyes yes.

Assuming he isn't exercising enough, hold judgement there.

Long periods of sitting? Almost like the typical American office worker?

Yeah, my sister has a desk job sitting all day in front of a computer screen. She has carpal tunnel on wrists, terrible eyesight and is overweight despite working out and eating reasonably. The overweight part might be genetic but still, all that sitting doesn’t help.

as far as social interactions, back in the day I know ppl that def traveled the country and some that made connections in japan. and that was then. now...you have ppl going to europre, japan, korea, etc.
jwong actually even spends his own money to help ppl travel to get more exposure.

the net is a tool. uyu is a team based out of Georgia that has a team of Japanese and European players as well as u.s. players for example and they all travel.
there's money to be made, connections as well as fun to be had.

I seriously doubt most fps gamers are out of shape and overweight. those are outdated stereotypes for video game players.

i'm not a hardcore player anymore (family, life, etc. take over at a certain point for a lot of ppl right) but I wasn't fat or out of shape lol or stationary.

Back
Top Bottom