Daft Punk officially on Columbia

the album is not discovery 2.0, if anything random access memories shows just how great their musicianship is to be able to incorporate even more disco/funk style sounds into electronic music.

I think that's the goal they were trying to reach and I'd say the whole album is a fantastic hit.

Just wait for them to do this set live, and maybe it'll change people's minds. That happened with Human After All after their Alive tour.

I think i like the album because it doesn't have that electronic feel like the stuff from discovery. this is everyday music, discovery seems more like rage music to me and that isn't really my thing.

Wasn't that impressed with the album. Decent effort nonetheless.

Am I reaching by saying Pharrell was the highlight?
How is pharrell the highlight? I think that was one of the worst decisions they made with having Pharrell do the vocals. Another singer with stronger vocals could have taken that song to another level. He sounds very flat on this track. Nile Rodgers stole the show on that track. 

How is pharrell the highlight? I think that was one of the worst decisions they made with having Pharrell do the vocals. Another singer with stronger vocals could have taken that song to another level. He sounds very flat on this track. Nile Rodgers stole the show on that track. 
You're wrong. Pharrell comes out as one of the biggest winners with this album IMO. He showed he can hang with more mature, established musicians while proving he's got some funk-soul in him. His singing on Lose Yourself To Dance is critical to the magic of that song. 

I won't know how truly dope this album is until after a month. Many artists release their material and within days it is already played out. For me, that really sucks because I play albums out almost to the point that I never want to hear them again. The only album that I re-played several times over and still stands out as fresh, innovative, and just awesome as it first sound is Pink Floyd's The Wall. That too me is a true classic album. Initially, I didn't like it because I was expecting a album that sounded like Dark Side of the Moon. After the second to third listen I developed a love for it. I could play that album all day and didn't feel like I needed any other albums. It completely left me satisfied. I can scroll to it right now and play it with the expectation of hearing something new. Of course it will get tiring after a time but a true test to how rare and genius an album is if you can play it at a random time after hearing it so many times and it sounds almost as if you are hearing it for the first time. It's a special feeling especially since it took a bit of work for me to "feel the music."

So far I feel the sameway with this album. I was anticipating something like discovery but instead got electro disco mixed with some Steeley Dan, Doobie Brothers, Daft Punk's Human After All, Tron Legacy, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, and elements of traditional electro and hip hop.

I hope people understand how truly genius this piece of work is.

I won't know how truly dope this album is until after a month. Many artists release their material and within days it is already played out. For me, that really sucks because I play albums out almost to the point that I never want to hear them again. The only album that I re-played several times over and still stands out as fresh, innovative, and just awesome as it first sound is Pink Floyd's The Wall. That too me is a true classic album. Initially, I didn't like it because I was expecting a album that sounded like Dark Side of the Moon. After the second to third listen I developed a love for it. I could play that album all day and didn't feel like I needed any other albums. It completely left me satisfied. I can scroll to it right now and play it with the expectation of hearing something new. Of course it will get tiring after a time but a true test to how rare and genius an album is if you can play it at a random time after hearing it so many times and it sounds almost as if you are hearing it for the first time. It's a special feeling especially since it took a bit of work for me to "feel the music."

So far I feel the sameway with this album. I was anticipating something like discovery but instead got electro disco mixed with some Steeley Dan, Doobie Brothers, Daft Punk's Human After All, Tron Legacy, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, and elements of traditional electro and hip hop.

I hope people understand how truly genius this piece of work is.
Forgive me for being off topic here but are there any other pink floyd albums (besides The Wall and DSotM) youd recommend? Ive been listening to alot of different genres as of late and thought it would be of interest.

the album is not discovery 2.0, if anything random access memories shows just how great their musicianship is to be able to incorporate even more disco/funk style sounds into electronic music.

I think that's the goal they were trying to reach and I'd say the whole album is a fantastic hit.

Just wait for them to do this set live, and maybe it'll change people's minds. That happened with Human After All after their Alive tour.
the only reason for that would be because they mixed human after all with discovery and made remixes to songs with alive 2007.

This album will be like human after all I think...one where I won't get into it as much until another alive album where its remixed with discovery and human after all and homework.

This album is super good... Its been getting spin after spin from me. Its just flat out good music :smokin

Give life back to music
He game of love
Within
Instant crush
Lose yourself to dance
Get Lucky
Beyond

are my favorites as of now :nthat:

good. i need a lil more robot and a lil less...organic.

like discovery was a perfect mix. human after all was too robotic. this is too organic. we need a balance. just my opinion.

I'm with you. Not that I don't like the album but it's a Daft Punk album and I'm lightweight bummed we didn't get the classic elements they bring with their albums.

This album is super good... Its been getting spin after spin from me. Its just flat out good music
smokin.gif

Give life back to music
He game of love
Within
Instant crush
Lose yourself to dance
Get Lucky
Beyond

are my favorites as of now
nthat.gif
damn son you minus whale put the whole album
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

It's pointless to form final opinions/reviews on albums when they first come out. You need at least a month to let the music sink in and see if it has longevity. Especially Daft Punk's music.

My first impressions are that this feels a lot more fresh and organic than I thought it would be and I love them for going this route. 

As a whole the album seems like a mash up of a lot of different genres with dance music at it's core. I hear a little bit of Jazz, Funk, Soul, Hip-Hop, Soft Rock, Prog Rock. The cheering and misc. vocals on the first track reminded me of Homework. "Doing it Right" seems to be the most Classic Daft Punk song on the album if you're looking for that.

I think i like the album because it doesn't have that electronic feel like the stuff from discovery any of their previous albums

fixed, imo.

give me something repetitive with a good beat.
you can say this went over my head, don't care.
Wasn't that impressed with the album. Decent effort nonetheless.

Am I reaching by saying Pharrell was the highlight?

and you've been repped :lol:

Pharrell doesn't sound that horrible, considering he only had a few words to say and they know how to use those vocal effects well.
but he's not a good singer, don't know how they gave him a pass when they take their music so seriously.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom