Dashcam Video Shows Former Dallas Officer Shooting Unarmed Teen

New video released to the media Tuesday afternoon shows the events that sent an unarmed teen to the hospital and cost a senior Dallas police officer her job.

The video, taken from a squad car dashboard-mounted camera, captured an incident on Dec. 9 where witnesses said senior corporal Amy Wilburn shot 19-year-old Kelvion Walker, who was a carjacking suspect at the time of the shooting.

Elements in the video match witness accounts of the incident.

In the five minute clip posted on YouTube, viewers can see police chasing the car until it comes to a stop. The driver of the car gets out and runs away from the scene, leaving Walker in the passenger seat of the car.

As the car continues to roll, police investigators said Wilburn rushed to the car with her gun holstered, but then drew her gun and fired, shooting and wounding Walker.

An internal affairs investigation found Wilburn violated the department's deadly use of force policy for shooting "without fear or justification." Chief David Brown fired Wilburn on Dec. 30, following the internal investigation.

Shooting Victim Files Suit Against Officer

Walker, who was never charged in the carjacking, was released from the hospital and has filed a lawsuit against Wilburn.

In the suit, Walker claims he had his hands in the air and was shot within seconds of the officer encountering him.

According to the lawsuit, Walker said he was sitting in the passenger side of a vehicle driven by his friend. He said he was in the vehicle no more than two minutes when they passed a marked police car near Scyene Road. Walker said the police car made a U-turn and followed them with lights on, but no siren.

"As soon as he turned on the street, I told [the driver] to stop because he looked like he wasn't going to stop," Walker said in the suit. "But he had jumped out the car and ran and the car hit the curb and I just remember putting my hands up."

"I remember her walking past the car and I had my hands up and then she looked at me and I looked at her and she just shot," Walker said in the lawsuit. "I just remember yelling, 'What you shoot me for?'"

"And then after that she was like, 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I apologize. I didn't try to,'" Walker said.

Dallas Police Association Comes to Officer's Defense

On Tueday night, hours after a dashcam video was released, the head of the Dallas Police Association defended the actions of Cpl. Wilburn.

"The officer did her job, she doesn't want to use deadly force but she has to, because she was surprised by suspect in the passenger side of car," said Ron Pinkston, DPA's president.

Pinkson presented city leaders hundreds of letters from officers on Tuesday. The letters show that many on the force are concerned for their jobs. Specifically, they're worried using deadly force could cost them their jobs.

One father wrote that he usually thinks about his children when responding to calls, but now worries about having to use his gun and the repercussions that would bring.

The Dec. 9 officer-involved shooting was part of a string high profile shootings in Dallas. Brown said he plans to overhaul the use of force policy, and change training.

Pinkston says that officers should be allowed to use force when their lives are threatened.

"I think you're going to see officers get hurt, crime go up, and you're going to see citizens get hurt," Pinkston said.

Pinkston also said he has a meeting planned with Dallas' mayor.

You can read more about this story on the Dallas Morning News website. Click here.

Last edited:
She realized her mistake immediately.

**** Ron Pinkston.

Hope son gets a nice settlement though.

Sucks you can't truly tell which officers can handle high stress situations until they are actually in one....

She should never touch another firearm again.

Last edited:
I was just really shocked by the justification for deadly force by Ron Pinkston of the DPA as well as the support and agreement by the other officers with Pinkston's statement.

It's scary to know that these police officers are thinking like this.

Last edited:
Too bad about him getting hit, but he's about to get paid. I'm going to save the rant on cops. It's not shocking at this point.

Back
Top Bottom