DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - The Penguin out 9/19 then every Sunday on MAX

Someone tell James that just because he's allowed to use the F word and the D word doesn't meant it has to show up in every other sentence :smh: excessive profanity works and is funny only when used with precision

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm so glad Kevin/Marvel/Disney tones him down with the Guardians movies. Imagine if them thangs were rated R :smh:
I've just accepted with Gunn that when he does a project it comes with a high level of absurdity with the obscene, profanity, and gratuitousness.

Sort of like Tarantino but no where as cool or stylish or clever.

Its why I liked the level of control Marcel had with Gunn on two great Got movies and I expect a third.

Its more than obvious DC gave Gunn SS cuz it failed and then let him use c-list characters nobody cares about and then let him do w/e with a show cuz they just want the content. Their shared universe continuity is so broken and nonexistent it doesn't matter what he does to or in the world.

need to watch the batman again on the big screen. That cinematography is nuts and the experience is just
on some auteur big boy movie sh**.

If you try to rewatch TDK or TDKR, they just feel outdated and plain.

i saw tdk on imax during its anniversary before the pandemic and it holds up real well i thought

the newest film just happen to change our view of dark and gritty gotham now

i saw tdk on imax during its anniversary before the pandemic and it holds up real well i thought

the newest film just happen to change our view of dark and gritty gotham now

i need to rewatch the new film.. but after rewatching a certain review, i agree with a point they made about the style of film of the new one (it being an old school hollywood noir film)

i think joker moreso a darker, grittier film than TDK.. but i think the new film is more of the style choice

the review i'm referring to:

it didnt feel liek joker explored gotham much though while in da batman it is its own character and represent well visually so its grittiness or darkness isnt really highlighted while the newest gotham is always dark and raining

it didnt feel liek joker explored gotham much though while in da batman it is its own character and represent well visually so its grittiness or darkness isnt really highlighted while the newest gotham is always dark and raining

i agree.. but to go back to what i asked earlier, that's why i dont think other current DC projects could fit in that world

it feels like it's own thing and when i heard the comparison to the old noir films, things clicked.. on a side note, given nicholas cage's role in spiderverse, would be interesting to see him in that world

but joker felt like what i see of new york from movies from the 70s and 80s, you felt the circumstances of the time and the what was going on in the city.. whereas with the batman makes alot more sense to me when i look at it through the lens of certain other classic films, choices of the actors make more sense to me (especially jeffrey wright and some of the dialogue)

whenever it gets to hbo max, of course i'll watch again.. but i'll also revisit BTAS

April 19 on HBO Max and April 23 on regular HBO.

this is great for us viewers but it kind of sucks for the film box office numbers

it just hit $500m worldwide then a month and a half later and everyone with hbo cant watch it with no extra cost while NWH been in the theaters for 3+months as an exclusive theater release and managed to grab every cent to bump up its numbers

i dont really care for them beating NWH or any other films but these dumb studio execs looks at the $$$ and hope the lower than usual box office haul doesnt become a detriment not just for future batman films (because i dont think it will) but for other DC movies moving forward

The date hasn't been officially announced yet.

If The Batman keeps making money at the box office, Warner would likely hold off on the HBO Max premiere.

deadline has confirmed it and the deal for its availability on as a cable channel hbo is probably something they cant extend

but im just hoping fir the best

might have not been original, but it was good

To each their own, it was very heavy handed and corny at times to me.
“What do you get when you cross a mentally ill loner with a society who abandons him and treats him like trash”
Like that’s just bad writing to me :lol: Felt like Incel: The Movie.
Joaquin was great though.

Joker wasn’t a good movie
8AF9BC7F-8AB5-410E-81DA-8E9AD30A9EB9.gif

Finally got to see The Batman tonight, at a regular old-school, non-stadium-style cinema. Blew away my expectations, tbh. I always avoid everything about DC movies before I see them - trailers, commercials, news, everything, and basically all I knew/heard about this one was that it was "more of a detective movie." Nah, this was straight-up Detective Comics put to film. Pretty much what the BvS: Directors Cut tried to be (and truthfully came close to), but done excellently. Casting was terrific - Battinson surprised me with how good he was as a younger Bruce, Zoe was a perfect Selina, Colin Farrell was awesome as Penguin (I forgot who played him til the credits, actually), Turturro stole every scene he was in and Paul Dano was, well, Paul Dano. I just always see him as Paul Dano regardless of his character lol.

Batman: Hush

Mans couldn’t stop a serial killer who only killed on holidays for like 2 years :lol:

No Man’s Land was the same thing.

I went back and read all of the posts since the film's opening (except one frequent poster who I have set to ignore) to catch up and this post stuck out to me because I actually thought they pulled a lot from both Hush and Cataclysm for this. There were so many "Hush" mentions that I thought Riddler was gonna end up being Tommy Elliott, especially since the dead reporter was named "Edward Elliott."

Some of the top scenes that stood out to me as perfect "comic book" translations:
- The various hoodlums seeing the Bat signal and bugging out at the beginning
- The fight scene using the muzzle flashes as strobe lighting
- The ending scenes of Batman leading & tending to the survivors
- The motorcycles through the cemetery
- Selina using the optical sensor in the club
- Riddler and Joker at the end

As much as I fault Marvel movies for being vapid and pretty predictable, they reflect Marvel books really well. I just don't like Marvel. When DCEU stuff reflects the comics well, I'm in heaven. And I'll be damned if this didn't perfectly reflect a Detective Comic arc from like 1983 or later.

Solid 7+/8 from me.

Back
Top Bottom