DC's Wale and UCB set for MTV Video Music Awards

[h1]DC's Wale and UCB set for MTV Video Music Awards[/h1]
August 27, 1:10 PM
greydot.gif
DC TV Examiner
greydot.gif
Cherie Saunders

Previous Next
Comment Print [img]http://image.examiner.com/img/email.gif[/img] Email RSS Subscribe

[h2]Subscribe[/h2]

Get alerts when there is a new article from the DC TV Examiner. Read Examiner.com's terms of use. [table][tr][td]Email Address

��Include other special offers from Examiner.com
Terms of Use[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Wale%288%29.jpg

�Interscope: Wale

DC will be well represented at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards courtesy of newly-announced performer Wale and his touring partners, local go-go group UCB (Uncalled 4 Band) - all of whom will stay on stage the entire night as the show's official "house band."

The network announced today that Wale, born Olubowale Victor Folarin in Washington DC, "will join All-American Rejects, Pitbull and 3OH!3 to perform versions of the year's biggest hits."�Wale's own debut album,�"Attention: Deficit," is due Oct. 20 on Interscope.

Born to Nigerian parents in Northwest D.C., the artist graduated from Quince Orchard High School in Gaithersburg in 2001, after which he moved to Largo, Maryland. He has been a fixture on the DMV's underground rap circuit via constant live performances and a flurry of popular mixtapes.

In March 2008, Wale signed a joint venture deal with Mark Ronson's Allido Records and Interscope. MTV caught wind of the rapper when he teamed with Lady Gaga earlier this year for "Chillin," which will reportedly be available on the "Attention: Deficit" album.

Nine-time VMA nominee Lady Gaga is also scheduled to perform, as are Beyonce (who ties Lady Gaga for the most nominations and will sing her new single "Sweet Dreams"), Jay-Z, Green Day and Taylor Swift.

With both Lady Gaga and Beyonce in the building, and Wale a part of the "house band," it's conceivable that he could also rock either "Chillin" or "Pat Your Weave," a go-go track from his "Back to the Feature" mixtape that borrows Beyonce's "pat your weave" line from her single "Get Me Bodied."

The 26th annual MTV Video Music Awards airs live from New York City on Sunday, Sept. 13 at 9 p.m., (live ET/tape delayed PT). Additional celebrity presenters and performers will be announced in the coming weeks. To be the first to find out the inside scoop, follow the Inside MTV Twitter account at Twitter.com/InsideMTV.

Below: Rik Cordero, video director for "Pat Your Weave,"�interviews
Wale and UCB member Tre on the NE Washington set of the song's
upcoming music video.

For more info:�
Wale part of new concert series for BET

Wale's official Web site
Listen to Wale's "Pat Your Weave" feat. UCB
Listen to Beyonce's "Get Me Bodied"
Listen to Wale's "Chillin'" feat. Lady Gaga

More About: Celebs from DC Area · Award Shows

ShareThis

pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

thats big for dc. as much as i hate...well used to now...gogo. its about time. congrats. dude wale said he was going for the grammy...
nerd.gif

church, tabernacle, preach! we finally gettin out there

pimp.gif

*cue the aids, pots and pans music, and just dc hate/jokes

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

Y'all like that song?
nerd.gif

pimp.gif

Living in the DC area for some time now, I'm starting to sorta like Go-Go. But the dude from the Wire was right, you gotta listen to it live. People mayhave their beef with Wale, and I understand why, but I still think his music is more than solid. Sweating Out Weaves was one of my favorite tracks off of Backto the Feature.

Yo! I've been saying it since I heard Wale for the first time. dude is gonna make major moves once the world realizes how good dude is as an MC. CongratsWale u def deserve this.

"them bammas gon' hate and i love it, $%^# it.
"none like us, so none like us"

From doing shows at love and 930 to the VMA's, wale's making serious moves.

folks have a blind hate for anything DC related on here, but as a youngin i learned hard work trumps all of that.

imo, mainstream america can't handle gogo, its an experience, a lifestyle. you can't slap a label on it and package it for the masses, its a dish bestserved live.

Back
Top Bottom