delete

Dwight's part got me crackin up!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

People just keep trying and keep trying to put Kobe at or above Jordan's level and it's laughable. No one will ever play like Jordan did, post stats like he did, or win the way he did.
Thing is Jordan had his best stats when he wasnt winning championships. You have to look at Jordans whole career and see that he won 6championships but also played about 8 1/2 season not winning rings. Jordan had a season of averaging 32,8 & 8 on a team that had 47 & 35 record. I knowits blasphemy to some but I would say that Kobe in the last 3 seasons (including this current one) has him playing at Jordan-esque level on championshipcontending teams. Not Kobe's whole career and certainly he will not earn the same achievments as Jordan (the MVP's, DPOY etc) but there isnt much of adrop off between Jordan at his best to Kobe at his best now....Jordan just did it consistantly and for more seasons. And it wouldnt be laughable to believethat Lebron could end up surpassing Jordan in achievments and stats.

You guys can say whatever you want, but know this: NOBODY CAN CONVINCE ME THAT KOBE BRYANT IS A BETTER NBA BASKETBALL PLAYER THAN TIM DUNCAN.

vanexellent wrote:
People just keep trying and keep trying to put Kobe at or above Jordan's level and it's laughable. No one will ever play like Jordan did, post stats like he did, or win the way he did.
Thing is Jordan had his best stats when he wasnt winning championships. You have to look at Jordans whole career and see that he won 6 championships but also played about 8 1/2 season not winning rings. Jordan had a season of averaging 32,8 & 8 on a team that had 47 & 35 record. I know its blasphemy to some but I would say that Kobe in the last 3 seasons (including this current one) has him playing at Jordan-esque level on championship contending teams. Not Kobe's whole career and certainly he will not earn the same achievments as Jordan (the MVP's, DPOY etc) but there isnt much of a drop off between Jordan at his best to Kobe at his best now....Jordan just did it consistantly and for more seasons. And it wouldnt be laughable to believe that Lebron could end up surpassing Jordan in achievments and stats.
So what are you saying here? Jordan's scoring averages dipped slightly during the title seasons and his other stats are pretty consistent? It's no coincidence that his scoring dipped those seasons because the team got it right those years, with everyone doing theirpart. That's usually when teams win titles. If that's an indictment of Jordan in some way, I'd like to hear the argument for it.

And I'll take Jordan's 8 championship-less seasons (contracting his 1986 and 1995 quasi-seasons into 1) out of 14 over Kobe's 9 championship-lessseasons out of 13.

Kobe's averaged 30 or more ppg only 4 times in his career, including this season so far, and didn't get his first 30 ppg season until his 7th year. Jordan did it for 7 straight years (8 seasons total) and got his first in his 3rd year. That's just a rudimentary look at scoring.

But numbers can't tell the whole story, which is what I think a lot of people are missing and have missed for years now. I don't know if it'sbecause the last time Jordan was Jordan was 1998 (literally almost a lifetime ago for some), or because the Top Dog slot had to be filled by someoneafter MJ's Bulls days, but the "Kobe is the GOAT/ Kobe is Jordanesque" calls are shrill to this day. I'm mystified by the motive behindthem. Maybe it's just me but I thought it was common knowledge that MJ is untouchable. I think anyone who was between the ages of 7 and 18 from around1986-1998 and grew up watching Jordan play understands what they saw.

I've got no problem giving Kobe the proper respect as a basketball player. He's a killer. I'd pick him over LeBron because he understands thegame better than anyone currently playing it. But let's let Kobe be Kobe. He's not Jordan. He's just Kobe.

I've watched all of MJ's career and all of Kobe's career. There's no comparison.

The players in those videos come across as a bit submissive/borderline embarrassing. I dunno... they just struck me as a microcosm of the wholeKobe-is-on-a-mythic-Jordanesque-level thing. And he's not.

Originally Posted by Burns1923

vanexellent wrote:
Thing is Jordan had his best stats when he wasnt winning championships. You have to look at Jordans whole career and see that he won 6 championships but also played about 8 1/2 season not winning rings. Jordan had a season of averaging 32,8 & 8 on a team that had 47 & 35 record. I know its blasphemy to some but I would say that Kobe in the last 3 seasons (including this current one) has him playing at Jordan-esque level on championship contending teams. Not Kobe's whole career and certainly he will not earn the same achievments as Jordan (the MVP's, DPOY etc) but there isnt much of a drop off between Jordan at his best to Kobe at his best now....Jordan just did it consistantly and for more seasons. And it wouldnt be laughable to believe that Lebron could end up surpassing Jordan in achievments and stats.
So what are you saying here? Jordan's scoring averages dipped slightly during the title seasons and his other stats are pretty consistent? It's no coincidence that his scoring dipped those seasons because the team got it right those years, with everyone doing their part. That's usually when teams win titles. If that's an indictment of Jordan in some way, I'd like to hear the argument for it.

And I'll take Jordan's 8 championship-less seasons (contracting his 1986 and 1995 quasi-seasons into 1) out of 14 over Kobe's 9 championship-less seasons out of 13.

Kobe's averaged 30 or more ppg only 4 times in his career, including this season so far, and didn't get his first 30 ppg season until his 7th year. Jordan did it for 7 straight years (8 seasons total) and got his first in his 3rd year. That's just a rudimentary look at scoring.

But numbers can't tell the whole story, which is what I think a lot of people are missing and have missed for years now. I don't know if it's because the last time Jordan was Jordan was 1998 (literally almost a lifetime ago for some), or because the Top Dog slot had to be filled by someone after MJ's Bulls days, but the "Kobe is the GOAT/ Kobe is Jordanesque" calls are shrill to this day. I'm mystified by the motive behind them. Maybe it's just me but I thought it was common knowledge that MJ is untouchable. I think anyone who was between the ages of 7 and 18 from around 1986-1998 and grew up watching Jordan play understands what they saw.

I've got no problem giving Kobe the proper respect as a basketball player. He's a killer. I'd pick him over LeBron because he understands the game better than anyone currently playing it. But let's let Kobe be Kobe. He's not Jordan. He's just Kobe.

I've watched all of MJ's career and all of Kobe's career. There's no comparison.

The players in those videos come across as a bit submissive/borderline embarrassing. I dunno... they just struck me as a microcosm of the whole Kobe-is-on-a-mythic-Jordanesque-level thing. And he's not.

Jordan is the G.O.A.T. no doubt about it and the reason for that was his dominance over the league for most his career. No matter if Malone or Barkley wonthe MVP during his prime, Jordan was still the best player in the NBA. My point was that Kobe's last 3 seasons has him playing at level above the rest ofthe NBA (except maybe Lebron) and what made Jordan great was he did that most his career and not just for a few seasons and it didnt take him years to getthere. It took Kobe over 10 seasons to get to that point and has limited time to stay there. Think of Shaq's monster year of 1999-2000 where his play wasright up there with the legends (Kareem, Wilt, & Russell) but he didnt substain that level to be considered one of the best IMO.

Kobe wont pass Jordan and Jordan's legacy is safe. But right now Kobe is playing at Jordan-esque level in the NBA(IMO) and some in the league recognizethis. He wont keep this up and cant keep this up and it was only for a few season which doesnt make him better or as good as Jordan. With Lebron'sabilities and numbers at his age, he might eventually surpass Jordan but who's to say that his focus, off the court interests or even injuries mightprevent that either.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

lol @ the celtics fans in here hatin. yet you ridin MJ who was a bigger rival to your franchise.... lol fans these days... no wonder that one bulls fan was in the celtic thread beggin for the celtics to win it all hhahahaa
you've been one of the biggest #%!!^ since i've posted on here, and it continues to this day. there are knicks fans who were fans of MJ.besides, when Mike was in his prime, we weren't really a contender.

vanexellent wrote:
Jordan is the G.O.A.T. no doubt about it and the reason for that was his dominance over the league for most his career. No matter if Malone or Barkley won the MVP during his prime, Jordan was still the best player in the NBA. My point was that Kobe's last 3 seasons has him playing at level above the rest of the NBA (except maybe Lebron) and what made Jordan great was he did that most his career and not just for a few seasons and it didnt take him years to get there. It took Kobe over 10 seasons to get to that point and has limited time to stay there. Think of Shaq's monster year of 1999-2000 where his play was right up there with the legends (Kareem, Wilt, & Russell) but he didnt substain that level to be considered one of the best IMO.

Kobe wont pass Jordan and Jordan's legacy is safe. But right now Kobe is playing at Jordan-esque level in the NBA(IMO) and some in the league recognize this. He wont keep this up and cant keep this up and it was only for a few season which doesnt make him better or as good as Jordan. With Lebron's abilities and numbers at his age, he might eventually surpass Jordan but who's to say that his focus, off the court interests or even injuries might prevent that either.

I see what you're saying. That's a fair enough take.

I don't know if LeBron is the type of player who can master the game like MJ did. Or even like Kobe has.

That's a big reason why I still think Kobe > LeBron.

Originally Posted by Burns1923

vanexellent wrote:
Jordan is the G.O.A.T. no doubt about it and the reason for that was his dominance over the league for most his career. No matter if Malone or Barkley won the MVP during his prime, Jordan was still the best player in the NBA. My point was that Kobe's last 3 seasons has him playing at level above the rest of the NBA (except maybe Lebron) and what made Jordan great was he did that most his career and not just for a few seasons and it didnt take him years to get there. It took Kobe over 10 seasons to get to that point and has limited time to stay there. Think of Shaq's monster year of 1999-2000 where his play was right up there with the legends (Kareem, Wilt, & Russell) but he didnt substain that level to be considered one of the best IMO.

Kobe wont pass Jordan and Jordan's legacy is safe. But right now Kobe is playing at Jordan-esque level in the NBA(IMO) and some in the league recognize this. He wont keep this up and cant keep this up and it was only for a few season which doesnt make him better or as good as Jordan. With Lebron's abilities and numbers at his age, he might eventually surpass Jordan but who's to say that his focus, off the court interests or even injuries might prevent that either.
I see what you're saying. That's a fair enough take.

I don't know if LeBron is the type of player who can master the game like MJ did. Or even like Kobe has.

That's a big reason why I still think Kobe > LeBron.

This
Thread/

Originally Posted by 22 Rather Unique 22

You guys can say whatever you want, but know this: NOBODY CAN CONVINCE ME THAT KOBE BRYANT IS A BETTER NBA BASKETBALL PLAYER THAN TIM DUNCAN.
They're totally different players ...

We all know MJ was the greatest. If Shaq played with MJ, he would not have as many Finals MVPs. The reason is that, the big man would have to be option #1. Ask any coach. It doesn't really matter though......

C O O K # 45
get fit.

NBA Finals-NBA Championships-NBA Finals MVPs

Jordan: 6-6-6

Duncan: 4-4-3

Kobe: 6-4-1

So where exactly are the comparisons?
Im not gonna touch the Kobe and Jordan Comparisons.....But If u think Duncans a better NBA player then Kobe I Disagree but they play completelydifferent styles at different positions, with different players around them so I cant really put up stats to back up my claim

if someone asked you who would you rather have to build a team around? kobe or duncan? how can you get mad at someone for answering duncan? stats don'tmean everything

Both players in their prime, Duncan is the easy answer.

He's not a drama queen, and gets the job done. Period.
would duncan get the job done with kwame brown and smush parker as their starters instead of parker or ginobli?

Originally Posted by dirtyxcanto

would duncan get the job done with kwame brown and smush parker as their starters instead of parker or ginobli?

Why would you only bring up that example.

EVERYBODY knows that the Lakers lost in 2004 because of Kobe.

I'm not taking anything away from the Pistons defense, but Kobe gave the Lakers NO chance to win that series.

Um......EASY huh? Didn't Kobe and the Lakers knock Ducan and Spurs out the playoffs 4 times last decade with the most recent being 2008.

Originally Posted by Krazyrodzilla

Um......EASY huh? Didn't Kobe and the Lakers knock Ducan and Spurs out the playoffs 4 times last decade with the most recent being 2008.

The question was who would you take first to start a team.

And let's not forget about that non-call that shifted the whole series in 2008.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom