Did Christopher Nolan set the Bar?

dmoney82

Banned
Did Christopher Nolan set the bar or have a major influence on future comic book based films? Before Batman Begins all of them were cheesy as hell. Mild violence, no blood, PG Walt Disney type films. The Spiderman series was so weak to me, Hulk was weak and Superman returns. But after or right around Nolan's reboot of the Batman franchise we saw everyone going back to the drawing board. Starting with the Hulk, the follow up was more gritty, darker, realistic and more violent. The new Spiderman and Superman films are said to be headed in the same direction. I constantly get into it with my friends and diehard fans about this but I honestly believe that Nolan raised the bar for everyone else.

Obviously. I mean you even stated reasons.

indifferent.gif

He did his thing with Bruce Wayne (but cease your slumber on Tim Burton), I can't deny that...

...but get at me when he turns this

the-godfather-mario-puzo.jpg

into this

Vito-at-Ellis-Island.jpg

I think you're forgetting about Blade OP.

Without that film being a major success, none of the major comic book films we see today would've existed in their current form.

I see what your saying but if you think about it a lot of the overall mature and real tone of his batman films are like that because that's how batman's story is

Its very hard to do that with a comic book like superman , hulk , etc because they never really had that tone to begin with

and the thing that sets batman apart from the others is he doesn't have super powers and that's the big factor in why  he is so relatable then compared to the other superhero's 

Originally Posted by Nikekidwonder

I see what your saying but if you think about it a lot of the overall mature and real tone of his batman films are like that because that's how batman's story is

Its very hard to do that with a comic book like superman , hulk , etc because they never really had that tone to begin with

and the thing that sets batman apart from the others is he doesn't have super powers and that's the big factor in why  he is so relatable then compared to the other superhero's 
Oh damn,ok. I understand now .. I never really got into the Batman comic books heavy like that but I get it now that you broke it down.

Originally Posted by Fresh Like Will

The Ed Norton Hulk wasn't a follow-up. It was a reboot. Entirely new start and beginning.
That's what I meant but they still kind of played off the OG joint with him hiding in South America or whatever. I can't wait for The Avengers
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by SoVerSoTowel

i see what your saying bro.

super hero movies were cheesy as hell
laugh.gif
i mean... its hard not to be cheesy when your characters are shooting spider webs out of their hands and transforming into green monsters and @%$$
laugh.gif

Batman's doesnt have super powers or magic. that's why they were able to make the movies more realistic and serious.  

plus, Gotham city and the general feel of Batman were meant to be dark and gritty in the first place. dudes trajectory as a superhero began with his parents being murdered in front of him. 

I wanna see Tarantino make a superhero movie, I feel like it would be epic and very intelligent

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

I wanna see Tarantino make a superhero movie, I feel like it would be epic and very intelligent

not exactly superhero, but a while back he said he was interested in doing a James Bond movie...that would be 
eek.gif

most just dumb it down to gain more money like any other mainstream outlet

most of those comic movies prolly start off violent in conception and end up watered down outta fear it wont sell as well

Originally Posted by Epidemik The Great

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

not exactly superhero, but a while back he said he was interested in doing a James Bond movie...that would be 
eek.gif
I dunno James Bond movies take a certain amount of "touch" so to speak I know Tarantino can pull it off but my idea of a Tarantino Bond movie is a mess----he'd murk mad people for no reason, it prolly wouldn't be PG13 and at some point there would be a 20 minute dialogue that has nothing to do with the movie

The bride is a superhero imagine a batman or Bond being like the bride, unfortunately superhero movies in this country are rarely "dark". I think he would make a great Spawn remake. Notice how superheros never actually kill anyone brutally, Tarantino would ruin that.
laugh.gif

No. People like you dont seem to understand that gritty and dark doesnt work for every comic book. I liked Batman forever because it was zany and campy. I also like Nolan's movies. There is no definitive way a comic book movie should be sense each writer adapts the story to whatever he wants. Spiderman makes wise cracks in he middle of fights and acts goofy. So that aspect of the character would not fit at all in a serious dark movie. I never understand the hate Spiderman 1 & 2 get. They are both better than Batman Begins, and the only reason why they arent bette than TDK is because Ledger gave such an awesome performance. The movie itself dragged on and needed to be cut down severly( like not having 2- face at all)

Nolan's great writing is the reason the movies were so good but it's not like he's the only one who has made good superhero films.  People love the dark tone and themes of the Batman movies because it goes with the character.  But people shouldn't expect that kind of feel with other heroes who have lighter material.  Studios rush these movies without taking time to develop good scripts and just want to cash in.

I just love how he bridges the gap between real and unreal. Look at the prestige and inceptions for instance, cloning yourself and stealing secrets/planting ideas in another persons head is for the most part unreal but Nolan shows it to you in a way that gets you to believe the realness of it. That is magic

Back
Top Bottom