did nas win the battle in alot of people's mind whe the sample said "F** JAY-Z"?

we've been in such argumental trance for the last 11 years on jay vs nas battle that i think alot of us forgot

about 2001 , a time where jay had only been mainstream 3-4 years and illmatic was overtaking "Paid In Full"

on a lot list's and critic's opinions as the greatest album of all time.

i feel like people had been waiting to hear that side of nas for so long , combined with how hard the beat actually was ...that when that beat dropped and that sample said "F** JAY-Z" and nas started talking about jay being on nas's d .....that dudes probably paused the song and called eveyone saying "YO DID U HEAR ETHER , SHHH CRAZY" ....u listen to the actual content and while decent , it wasnt as cut throat as the first 12 seconds of the song would lead you to believe. i feel like takover was far more disrespectful if we talkin just bars.

but i always felt jay was the master of deception , around the time he announced his retirement in 03'' he was talkin retirement on some "i been hot for 10 summers.....rap game is boring" whenactually .... he broke out out to the mainstream platform 97/98ish so really we talkin 4-6 years , and dudes like dmx,em,nelly,jarule etc where all outselling jay....after black album dudes put jay on a pedstal it seems

seems like jay went about it the right way , knew when to chill and knew when to respond .....that and he put 2-3 hit singles on the radio within the next year or two.

but when that sample dropped do you feel nas won in alot of peoples hearts?

Last edited:
your arguement has been stated... but ima put it like this... ether has a lot of hype behind because nas had been down and forgotten and alot of people wrote him off, but to me, takeover was a better diss record. but the way jay responded to ether leads me to believe he was hurt more by ether than nas was by takeover. i mean he dropped the uber aggresive superugly afterwards, then dropped the save face blueprint II, both of which were out of character for the supposed king of ny. so like i said takeover > ether, but as far as impact on the other, ether >>>>>>>> takeover

Last edited:

your arguement has been stated... but ima put it like this... ether has a lot of hype behind because nas had been down and forgotten and alot of people wrote him off, but to me, takeover was a better diss record. but the way jay responded to ether leads me to believe he was hurt more by ether than nas was by takeover. i mean he dropped the uber aggresive superugly afterwards, then dropped the save face blueprint II, both of which were out of character for the supposed king of ny. so like i said takeover > ether, but as far as impact on the other, ether >>>>>>>> takeover

But:

Let's lock this one up

Last edited:
Yea.. Always told folks nas just said a bunch of meddle school type jokes...

Jokes about his lips..calling him ugly..

Takeover > *

Yup those corny jokes were sure killer, and the sample "DID NAS PUT THAT SAMPLE ON THE TRACK?"

"Gay-Z" "Cockafella"? Somebody call the coroner, hes getting out the body bags.
roll.gif
Please.......
Ether was wack along with the other disses he made. JAY's disses were far superior

Last edited:
Yup those corny jokes were sure killer, and the sample "DID NAS PUT THAT SAMPLE ON THE TRACK?"
"Gay-Z" "Cockafella"? Somebody call the coroner, hes getting out the body bags.

:rofl: Please.......

Ether was wack along with the other disses he made. JAY's disses were far superior

^ but u gotta look at the bigger picture... nobody was that intentionally disrespectful on record since Pac on "Hit 'Em Up"...

Last edited:
I love how people act like jay was totally factual on takeover, he made up more **** than Nas did.

Every time I remember that
laugh.gif
It's a moment I'll never forget.
PPL want to call Ether a bunch of middle school jokes but Jay was crying over it. He was literally shook by the impact of the song. Son was at a loss for words. "Jus... just WOW."
 takeover was a lyrical juggernaut of a track , but nas gave ppl what they wanted to hear ....it was more in your face.

ive always felt it was a tie btw

and in my honest opinion i think nas took his foot off the jay's neck.

Dudes keep saying Jay cried on that radio interview

Jay always sounds like he cryin b :lol:

And Nas won the battle by popular opinion...And redefined the definition of "winning" a battle.

Because Jay after ether > Nas after ether

Jay ****** son's babymother then hired him when he was down & out...He lost indeed

And Nas won the battle by popular opinion...And redefined the definition of "winning" a battle.
Jay ****** son's babymother then hired him when he was down & out...He lost indeed
Nas was coming off a platinum album before he signed with def jam how is that down and out

Nas was coming off a platinum album before he signed with def jam how is that down and out
Not to mention Nas has dropped some quality albums since Ether in N-word, Life Is Good, God's Son, etc. Whereas Jay aint been the same since The Black Album.

I won't even bother to reply to Jay sounds like he always crying. You're misinformed and biased, probably aint hear the radio interview when he came to the show on the day of the vote like he was gonna win and then sounded like he wanted to leave, only could stutter and stammer and praise Ether.

Mega went harder at Nas than Jay did.

I still like Takeover more though...it's just a better song to me.

- Agreed. To have one of the greatest rappers saying F your opponent, automatically gives you the upper hand.
- I've actually been playing this record a lot. People are quick to talk about the comical jabs and the elementary school punches. That makes it entertaining and all but if you listen to every word, he's saying so much more. There's so many settle lines that get overlooked.

(one of my favorite lines because personally Jay hasn't made a lyrical album since Vol. 1 and even on that album you can say he traded his soul to Diddy to try to go commercial)
What's sad is I love you 'cause you're my brother
You traded your soul for riches

Is he Dame Diddy, Dame Daddy or Dame Dummy?
Oh, I get it, you Biggie and he's Puffy

Compared to Beans you wack
And your man stabbed Un and made you take the blame
You ***, went from Jaz to hanging with Caine, to Herb, to Big
And, Eminem murdered you on your own ****
You a ****-riding ******, you love the attention
Queens ****** run you ******, ask Russell Simmons

I feel like people that are on the Takeover side are quick to say "Oh, he just called him ugly or made fun of his lips" but it's so much more. Both songs are great, Takeover had a verse at NaS, not the whole song and the beat is better than the lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom