DJ Premier discusses Nas' album $+$#%%

[h3][/h3][h3][/h3]
[h3]SOHH Exclusive: DJ Premier Weighs In On Nas' 'N*gger' Album, "If It Sounds Wack I'm Gonna Diss Him"[/h3] [h4]written by Janeé Bolden[/h4] [h5]Sunday - March 2, 2008[/h5]
premier_100x100.jpg

With Sha Money XL's One Stop Shop producer conference a week away, SOHH caught up with DJ Premier, to discuss Grammy Award politics, joining Christina Aguilera's family and his thoughts on Nas' new album.

Premier, whose helped craft some of Nas' biggest classics in the past revealed to SOHH his thoughts on the title of Nas' upcoming album, n*gger.

"I don't know why they're making a big deal," Premier said. "When I was coming up my parents had albums like That n*gger's Crazy (Richard Pryor), Sly and the Family Stone had "Don't Call Me n*gger, Whitey." No one made a big deal about that." [What do you think of Nas' album titile? Take our poll here]

"I just hope it's a banging album, if you're going to use that title. If it was up to me to do an album called n*gger, believe me it's gonna sound just like the title, beats-wise, lyric-wise, content-wise-everything," he added. "As long as its banging I'm gonna applaud him. If it sounds wack, I'm going to be disappointed and diss him like anything else because I have that right as a fan. I'm a fan of Nas so let's hope he bangs it out."

Premier has not contributed to n*gger, but he remains open to working with Nas.

"If he calls me I'm here, but they haven't reached out. I haven't spoken to him in awhile."

Currently working on projects for his label, Year Round Records, Premier shared plans to head back into the studio with Christina Aguilera soon.

"I'm definitely working with her on the next album," Premiere said. "She's doing an all pop album again, but she wants me to keep the tone like what we did before. She's ready to start next month...She's so cool, she's like my little sister now."

After capturing a Grammy last year for Aguilera's "Ain't No Other Man," Premier discussed Mark Ronson's win over Timbaland at this year's awards for "Producer of the Year."

"With the Grammy's there's a lot of politics involved," Premier conceded. "I'm happy for Mark because he's a good producer, he is very talented, he deserves it as for what he did with Amy (Winehouse); but Tim, his album with Justin Timberlake was the biggest selling record out last year." [Editor's note: Justim Timberlake's FutureSex/ Love Songs was released in September of 2006)

"I don't let awards dictate that I'm dope," he explained. "I think I'm dope and I'm overlooked a lot, but I don't stress it. I just bang it out. I never take it personal because the industry is set up with a lot of favoritism involved, a whole bunch of things involved. I just stay positive knowing that I'm dope as a producer period."

In addition to recently producing "Criminal Minded '08"for Common, Q-Tip and KRS-One as part of the Smirnoff Signature Series mix, Premier is also working with Fat Joe, Joell Ortiz and Year Round Records artists NYGZ, Blaq Poet, Khaleel and Nick Javas.

smh at both these mans!! First off Premo for not telling NaS this before and wake him the &?&@ up. And next with NaS for not having Premo on it tobeginwith

I wish Nas would make an album with just Primo producing or work with AZ again.

Originally Posted by SillyRichard

^^ Why? we don't know. Like why the dude wont work with AZ. Complicated dude.

Granted, we don't know what has transpired, but Nas needs to put the bullish behind him. I can state with 100% certainty that if he did an album, oreven a bulk of an album with Premo, we'd have the next no-hands-down, hip-hop classic. Nas needs dudes like Preme.

The fact that Premo didn't work on the album already scares me. Nas needs to go back to the old days, although it has become obvious no rapper possessesthe ability to do that.

how come premo wont work with AZ?

furthermore why does premo always give his beats to trash rappers?

jville819 wrote:

"If he calls me I'm here, but they haven't reached out. I haven't spoken to him in awhile."

Yet watch Salam Remi will have atleast 3 tracks on this lp
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Tron Burgandy

jville819 wrote:

Yet watch Salam Remi will have atleast 3 tracks on this lp
eyes.gif

Exactly...i dont understand how hard it could be to make one simple call...Im glad Preme is going to call Nas out and tell him its wack if it reallyis...someone needs to cuz i got a bad feeling it is going to be wack
smh.gif
..andas far as the AZ thing go..its Nas who messes everything up

"I just hope it's a banging album, if you're going to use that title. If it was up to me to do an album called n*gger, believe me it's gonna sound just like the title, beats-wise, lyric-wise, content-wise-everything," he added. "As long as its banging I'm gonna applaud him. If it sounds wack, I'm going to be disappointed and diss him like anything else because I have that right as a fan. I'm a fan of Nas so let's hope he bangs it out."
frown.gif
i agree. and i'm not having high expectations forthis album...

^^nah, as far as AZ go, its AZ thats on some other $$#%....Nas has said a few times he's tried to get at him, and he cant get in contract. AZ has said in aa couple interviews that he not really messin wit dude right now, and just said in in one of his recent songs something like "Nas tried to reach out, butI aint holla back yet"...

and Premo has always been a real dude, he's never been on no bias $$#%, I wouldnt see why he wouldnt keep it 100...

and as far as the AZ thing go..its Nas who messes everything up

^It's not a one sided thing though, how come they haven't reached out to Nas? it's always "if he calls me I'm here" or "Ihaven't spoke to him in a while" but yet Nas is the problem? hell don't they got his number as well? For an example Jermaine Dupri reached out toNas, and he is just waiting to see if he likes the beats that he sent to him, and if he plans on using them. Nas & AZ were just at Chris Webber'sbirthday in Miami last year on stage performing together.

"Nas tried to reach out, but I aint holla back yet"...

^not exactly, Sosa correct that

One of these days someone is going to need to explain the hate for Salaam.

^Good to know somebody else on this site who likes the chemistry between Salaam and Nas

*gives Mw dap*

*listens to War (Street's Disciple)*

Originally Posted by Mw2889

One of these days someone is going to need to explain the hate for Salaam.
salaam's garbage and the reason SD's unlistenable

Back
Top Bottom