Drug Tests in order to recieve welfare/food stamps...

so i was on facebook and i saw one of those stupid polls that people make asking stupid un-important questions. basically it was asking if you thought thatpeople should have to pass a drug test in

order to recieve benefits from the gov't. Obviously the person who made this poll is the type to adhere to the notion that "their tax dollarsshouldn't pay for some poor persons addiction." i think this

kind of thing is wrong on so many levels. what if the person is infact a drug addict? do the people who make these polls ever consider that those same addictsare also parents and the only way they

can get food to feed their children is with those food stamps? i mean yea drug addiction is bad but are you seriously suggesting risking thousands of kids foodand possibly shelter because of their

parents sins? another thing that irks me is this was focused on welfare/food stamps i.e. poor people. if you feel so strongly that your tax dollars should notpay for someones drug use why not say that

people who get any aid from the gov't should have to be tested? if you are going to test poor people, then you should test john and jane doe college fordrugs before you give them gov't funded loans

for college, why not test joe broken back for drug use before he can collect unemployment? i just think its unfair to try and find one more reason to denysomeone aid based one something that is done
by the rich and the poor alike. there are plenty of people out there who dont need welfare but they still get their income from gov't money and spend it ondrugs. id bet my left nut a few execs in the

auto industry or over at AIG blew some premo lines after cashing in their bonuses they "earned" that was payed with the very same tax money thesepeople dont want buying poor peoples drugs.

am i just dumb and a bleeding heart liberal or does anyone else out there feel the way i do?
cliffnotes:

-facebook poll saying you should drug test people before giving them welfare/ food stamps
-i feel its just another shot at poor people and would do more harm than good.
-i feel if you are gonna do something though it should be for ANYONE getting any kind of money from the gov't from the poor to a kid getting money forschool to a guy collecting unemployment.

youre just dumb. if those people gave a damn about their kids, theyd stop using. they dont deserve %*@# imo

what if the parents spends the welfare and food stamps strictly on drugs and doesnt use it on their kids?

Originally Posted by Gully Gabe

Cliff notes
i aint reading all of that....
btw get a blog
get a blog really? its not like im telling some stupid story about how i couldnt decide whether to wear a black or blue shirt today i posed aquestion about a serious topic because i wanted to have a discussion...

Originally Posted by ThiPham

what if the parents spends the welfare and food stamps strictly on drugs and doesnt use it on their kids?

to me that sounds like child neglect. stop the money flow, take away their kids, throw them in rehab. move on to the next one...

but alas, if only it were that easy...
tired.gif

if some1 cant support their kids cuz they are too busy being a fiend why should the government give them anything?

Originally Posted by ThiPham

im not saying that doesn't happen, im not that naive. but is it worth the risk that those who do use the welfare/food stamps for their kids and get moneyfor their addiction by other means lose money they need for their family. some people obviously feel that if they cared they would just stop, but anyone withany kind of knowledge about drug addiction knows its not as simple as flicking a light switch and BOOM your clean.

to be honest i don't even really think its that messed up of a concept i just dont like that it only targets the poor. i mean i went to college and i gotpell grants from the gov't and spent some of it on piff, but i dont think because im in college that makes me any less wrong for using that money on"drugs" if you are gonna punish people punish everyone. im man enough to live with my consequences.

Originally Posted by NJstress03

if some1 cant support their kids cuz they are too busy being a fiend why should the government give them anything?

ok so whats the alternative? take the kids away and put them in foster care? you know how much MORE its gonna cost the state to pay for the clothes, feeding,education of all the kids who would be taken away because their parents are users? and who says they can't support their child JUST because they are afiend? there are plenty of people who are functioning addicts who work everyday and what not but just aren't able to make it all work, also what about thealcoholic parents who neglect their kids? should they continue to get welfare/food stamps simply because they dont have an addiction that shows up on a drugtest? how about we take away child support from mothers who get their hair did with some of that money? my problem with stuff like this is whats the definingpoint to all of it? where does it end?

To me that makes a lot of sense to drug test them. They could use it on drugs instead of their family. Maybe then they only get food stamps and not welfaremoney. I know the food stamps could probably be used as currency in some places, but maybe you don't give them money that can be used to buy drugs, butmake it some way that they have to use it for food, clothes, shelter

Originally Posted by masterhammy23

To me that makes a lot of sense to drug test them. They could use it on drugs instead of their family. Maybe then they only get food stamps and not welfare money. I know the food stamps could probably be used as currency in some places, but maybe you don't give them money that can be used to buy drugs, but make it some way that they have to use it for food, clothes, shelter

yes! i can get onboard with that whole heartedly. not only would creating a system where the money isnt real and based on credits help to solve a problem likethis but it would also create jobs because of the need for people to monitor this. instead of sending a check give that person credits that they can applytowards bills and utilities that can only be applied to a residence they reside in, but to deny them any assistance what so ever is just harsh. people becomedrug addicts for lots of reasons other than just wanting to have fun. people who have been raped, or molested use drugs as coping mechanism. i just cant viewthe world as black and white. but the solution you presented is one that makes their welfare worthless as a currency for drugs while at the same time stillassuring them assistance.

my question is, why should people on welfare be getting drug tested to begin with? what's the rationale behind that? is the creator of the poll assumingthat a large portion of welfare recipients are drug addicts? if so, stereotyping a class of people is wrong on many levels.

i can understand some sort of anger and frustration if people on public assistance are using it to purchase drugs, but get some concrete evidence showing thatthis is an epidemic before making/implying claims.

Originally Posted by moe200069

my question is, why should people on welfare be getting drug tested to begin with? what's the rationale behind that? is the creator of the poll assuming that a large portion of welfare recipients are drug addicts? if so, stereotyping a class of people is wrong on many levels.

i can understand some sort of anger and frustration if people on public assistance are using it to purchase drugs, but get some concrete evidence showing that this is an epidemic before making/implying claims.

Right. As if there's some sort of automatic correlation between needing food stamps and using drugs.

Are we talking about weed or just real drugs?

but I guess it would be ok if they gave liek a 6 month warning or something ya dig

if this took affect alot of kids would go hungry around my way fam. thats real talk. but i do appreciate buying food stamps though. got to love gettinggroceries at half price.

Originally Posted by SwanginOn4z

if this took affect alot of kids would go hungry around my way fam. thats real talk

Then it's time for your crackhead fiend neighbors to get it together and think of said kids
indifferent.gif

THAT is "real talk"

I dont think there should be welfare in the first place. You have a kid go to work. If it aint easy dont have one. You know I live in hood part of LA I know alady had 5 kids never worked a day in her life and is now retiring in El Salvador. #+** giving these people money.

Originally Posted by JuJu

people who get any aid from the gov't should have to be tested? if you are going to test poor people, then you should test john and jane doe college for drugs before you give them gov't funded loan
cosign, tell them brother!
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by REDUCE523

I dont think there should be welfare in the first place. You have a kid go to work. If it aint easy dont have one. You know I live in hood part of LA I know a lady had 5 kids never worked a day in her life and is now retiring in El Salvador. #+** giving these people money.

That means you would have never received the help you got while growing up. If you say you didnt and lived in the hood then thats pretty hard to believe but Ibelieve if you reply by saying you never received the help. I mean you did say you live in a hood part.

I didn;t know the statistics were high for drug users and welfare recipients. Sure some abuse the system but people do need the help.

im not an expert lolz

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Originally Posted by moe200069

my question is, why should people on welfare be getting drug tested to begin with? what's the rationale behind that? is the creator of the poll assuming that a large portion of welfare recipients are drug addicts? if so, stereotyping a class of people is wrong on many levels.

i can understand some sort of anger and frustration if people on public assistance are using it to purchase drugs, but get some concrete evidence showing that this is an epidemic before making/implying claims.

Right. As if there's some sort of automatic correlation between needing food stamps and using drugs.

75% of the people i know that have food stamps either smoke weed or are connected in some way with drugs.....Selling(No legit job is normal for food stamps orwelfare) or using. Use that how you wish, but i think drug testing would do wonders for the black community.

Back
Top Bottom