EBay starter

I wanted to get rid of some my shoes that I don't wear. I'm having trouble moving them on CL, OfferUp because I wear a large size.

I haven't sold on eBay in like 10 years, I heard it's changed a lot.

How should I price my items and what should I do to protect myself from scammers.

Thanks.

Confirmed address only

Address on PayPal only

Always get tracking, if you aren't cheap just might as well get signature confirmation on every package

Even with all that, you can still be scammed. People chargeback all day

Confirmed address only

Address on PayPal only

Always get tracking, if you aren't cheap just might as well get signature confirmation on every package

Even with all that, you can still be scammed. People chargeback all day

I've had people charge back. I always shipped with signature confirmation, so PP covered me.

Can you sign up without using your Facebook/Instagram?

Yeah, Just a heads up that if your a new seller EBay/PayPal hold your money from buyer until they received your shoes and about 3-5 days afterwards to try and prevent fraud. Once you get a couple of sells and good feedback you will receive the payments instantly.

Always double box and wrap your items good.

Write a detailed description

Very importnat - note all issues with the sneakers such as tears, rips, factory blemishes, yellowing etc.

Post the max. allowable photos which is currently (12 ) for the free accounts

Post clear, detailed photos.

Post a front, left side, right side, toebox, back side, sole, insole, shoe label - inside shoe, label on box, entire box

Always do Buy It Now listings. New buyers who do auctions generally don't do well

If your Buy It Now sneakers are not moving, consider dropping the price every few weeks. I like to drop the price every two weeks by a couple of bucks

Take a photo of the package after you get it ready for shipping. I like to message it to the buyer alerting them the package is on the way and letting them see (for piece of mind)
the shoes were double boxed

Last edited:
Always double box and wrap your items good.

Write a detailed description

Very importnat - note all issues with the sneakers such as tears, rips, factory blemishes, yellowing etc.

Post the max. allowable photos which is currently (12 ) for the free accounts

Post clear, detailed photos.

Post a front, left side, right side, toebox, back side, sole, insole, shoe label - inside shoe, label on box, entire box

Always do Buy It Now listings. New buyers who do auctions generally don't do well

If your Buy It Now sneakers are not moving, consider dropping the price every few weeks. I like to drop the price every two weeks by a couple of bucks

Take a photo of the package after you get it ready for shipping. I like to message it to the buyer alerting them the package is on the way and letting them see (for piece of mind)
the shoes were double boxed
Same thing I do.

And maybe even detailing that payment is needed 24 hours after ending the sale.

Currently have two pairs that were bought with BIN and they have yet to pay 
mean.gif

Price your items correctly.

I like to check past sales on Ebay. You can search up to six months back.

This gives you valuable info - "what the shoes actually sold for".

Another buyer's asking price is generally irrelevant.

Same thing I do.

And maybe even detailing that payment is needed 24 hours after ending the sale.

Currently have two pairs that were bought with BIN and they have yet to pay :smh:

No matter what you do, you will get some buyers who simply don't pay.

It's frustrating and a waste of time for sure. You also have to make sure you get your fees back.

I would suggest not to ship internationally.

Also, set your selling preferences and customize them:

For example - I don't ship internationally. I don't ship outside mainland USA. I block potential buyers who have had two
or more cases where they didn't pay the past six months, etc.

Have a look and customize as you see fit.

Last edited:
If your selling used sneakers I suggest cleaning the soles with soap and water to remove dirt as best you can.

I also like to use one of those Instant Shine sponges and wipe down the leather so that the shoes look clean and have a shine to them.

All this helps to sell them.

Also important is to make sure when you photograph them you have adequate light. All too often I see new or inexperienced sellers posting sneaker using photos that are too dark.

You don't need special equipment, just a overhead light will do or take them outside.

Last edited:
No matter what you do, you will get some buyers who simply don't pay.

It's frustrating and a waste of time for sure. You also have to make sure you get your fees back.
I hear you. Experiencing this for the first time now. I don't understand these clowns.

I'll make sure to get my fees back.

Trying to sell on Ebay right now for the first time in like 7 years.

Dude did a buy it now, then asked for a cancellation saying his son did it. SMH

eBay needs to get hit with a serious class action suit.  It's scary selling on there these days. I wont go into detail, but the info is out there. eBay automatically sides with the buyer on every case thats submitted. It's crazy that this is allowed to occur. There are ways to fight back, but its alot of red tape, time wasted and pure luck to get your money back as a seller.

One tip I can give, is to box and record all items, directly at the post office. I mean, from it being packaged, to it being shipped. No interruptions. This may throw your postal worker a bit. But just let them know what the purpose is and they will be cool with it.

Last edited:
Ebay reads all the messages you send

Trust me they got a whole department dedicated to it
Yeah, they even have a message stating they do.

I made a sale outside of eBay and they sent me a warning for doing that lol

I've been selling on eBay for a minute now but not sneakers. I just sell jerseys and action figures and the only time I got f'ed over was when a buyer claimed he didn't get anything in the package so package your **** properly.

I also got a message warning that I've been selling outside of eBay but I've done it numerous time and only got one warning but to be safe, don't do it. eBay fees is a ***** tho.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom