EITHER VOL.. YOU CANT BE SERIOUS

Originally Posted by asu334

Originally Posted by Untitled

Originally Posted by MidEastBeast

Everyone keeps bringing up the moment it was released. Yes, when it dropped it was hot all over NYC and Stillmatic is a classic, we know. The point here is, Takeover is a better diss song when you look at it separating everything else. Just compare both side by side, no way in hell is Ether better.
son..if he won with ether, how is it the wacker track?

and if it wasn't for Nas doin his "comin out every 2 years and then hibernating in between" we would've crushed jay-z commerically forever...

Nas is a humble guy, thats his natural position...he isn't like 50 cent where 50 didn't let up till ja rule ain't have a leg to stand on anymore...

he let jay-z retreat and lick his wounds and come out stronger....

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Nas will NEVER be commercial if Hero couldnt do it for him

and obvious youngster....

u aware that it was written sold 4 times platinum?

in 1996 Nas was TOP dog in NYC..undisputed..commerically it was his year.

u also aware that Hate me now Debuted on TRL with CARSON DAILY? Nas been seen all kinds of commerical success...

Originally Posted by lakers187

How can people honestly say nas won this battle. Either is overated what facts did he really state? Jay z won the battle hands down.

I'm always telling N's this!!!!All Nas did was roast when Jay was saying facts
roll.gif
!!!PPL just like the roasting & most other rappers were afraid to come @ Jaylike that!!!!!

Ether was nice and Blueprint 2 was nice. But I could care less about who won the battle. Both are great Rappers. Nas>Jay

Ima go even further after the Takeover and Ether tracks, to me Nas won when he put out that track called "Last Real %@+$% Alive" and started breakingeverything down. That was the icing on the cake for me being that Nas is an incredible narrator lol!

Honestly, a few years ago i thought that Jay-Z won the battle however Jay-Z was shook because it was like he panicked and he put out a diss track on Nasimmediately. I felt like he should have waited a little bit longer. Nas knew right then that he had him.

That was a great battle though because i dont think too many people thought that Nas was going to come back. Jay absolutely destroyed Nas on"Takeover."

Jay got at Nas again on "Superugly" however back in high school alot of us did not even understand all of that more in carmen @## that he was talkingabout so as soon as most of us heard it we were like, "Thats trash, Nas won!" It took me a few years to even understand Superugly, it was like everysingle year i learned more and more about the situation.
Jay got at Nas again on the PSA Remix remember? That was nice but i dont think Nas even bothered for that one. The other Jay track on Blueprint 2 i didntreally care for that one.

Overall, Nas sealed the deal. Jay panicked.

Originally Posted by GolfAlphaBravoEcho

When you get outclassed, outrapped or just outright destroyed on a track, the hip-hop community may say that you got:

ETHERED

Nas won.
No doubt.

smh.gif
at saying Hova beat Nas. Jigga is my man but he got straight up MERKED after Ether. He didnt even try to come back on Nas it was over and they made up. Jayhimself would even tell you Nas won.

Yo... I just sat here and played each rhyme in this battle and I've come to the conclusion that...

Nas got in his %@%
smh.gif

Stillmatic freestyle
Ether
Last Real _ Alive

Yea... Wedgie Bro
laugh.gif

I had a huge argument with my boyfriend about this the other day .

I explained to him that Nas was butthurt all along that another MAN had sex with her babymomma .

How @%++@ made is that ? How you gonna cry over that ? come on now .

My dad does the same thing with my mom &nd they're not together ... i be like "_ , get over it . you dont see her mad because you're stickingother $*!% . "

I hate dudes with mentality's like this .

Originally Posted by The Great Hibachi

I was Scarface, Jay was Manolo
It hurt me when I had to kill him and his whole squad for dolo
But Manolo didnt hire Scarface he did f his babymoms sister tho
smokin.gif

What y'all don't understand is that this battle was more than just who went in harder.
It's not about if Takeover is better than Ether.
It's not about that.
Jay was on top of the !%!$+#@ WORLD in 2001.
NOBODY was seeing Jay.

Let's start at the beginning
Jay and Nas been taking shots at either before 2001.
you can say "The Message" was going at Jay, but he wasn't, he was going at Biggie.
You can say "Imaginary Player", but I don't see it cause he praised NaS on that same album.
Then here's the talk about NaS' baby moma.
Jay's "Is that your $$!#+?"(self explanatory) and NaS's "Come Get Me"
Hear your $$!#+ talk about me, you give her the cold eye?
Girls dig you, imagine what she feel for me?
You make hot songs, but she know you steal from me
Who ill as me? I wild on haters in album three
Next level - I take y'all ___ to 3-D
Can't find a ____ shook from Queens
I'll be with the most grimy killers
and they all look clean
who put bombs underneath cars, if you want beef then start
Your next stop is to the graveyard

Code:
the seeds have BEEN planted.
Here's where it got deeper...
Nas on Nastradamus
"You wanna ball till you fall, I can help you with that
You want beef? I could let a slug melt in your hat."
If y'all will remember "What You Think About That"
I'ma ball till I fall, what you think of that

So here's Bleek:
Only a few fit in, your lifestyle's written / So who you supposed to be? Play your position.
Then you have Jay's "Who Shot Ya" freestlye
Then NaS' "Eye for an Eye" freestyle
where they took some jabs at each other.
Then "Da Bridge 2001" =
"your #%%, your man, lieutenant, your boss get found."

Then the next part, I've never been able to find actual audio of this, but a lot of people I know and trust have told me this was fact and they heard this.
Anyway... Jay, Beans, and the rest of the Roc was at Hot 97. Beans was looking for a beat, Flex put on "NaS is Like"
Beans then said something like, I'm a keep it real Flex, stop playing all these happy beats, too many flutes and %#*$. Jay said something about it to(Iforgot tho)
When's the last time Jay and Primo have worked together?

Then We ALL know the Takeover %#*$.
Jay murder Mobb and he took the first public shot at NaS.

NaS came back with the Stillmatic freestyle
I rule you, before, you used to rap like the Fu-Schnickens
Nas designed your Blueprint, who you kidding
The song started building buzz, but the Roc/Def Jam pretty much got it banned from Hot 97
And then the REAL Takeover dropped.
No lie, Jay set the bar high, he went in on NaS.
Alot of people thought the battle was over.
NaS didn't respond in the next week, that's not his style.
That's the main difference between Jay and NaS to me.
Between 96 and 01, Jay dropped 6 albums in that time.
Nas dropped 5 from 94-01(should have been 4 with one being a double album, but that's another story)

Anyay, back to NaS waiting
On "The General"
Got ya label all scared
Calling up the radio, don't want my records to air
I'm coming for y'all blood, make room for the king.
I'm much more smarter, much more strategic ...Too eager you lose / patience, plan your attack then you move.

The Blueprint came out in September and had %#*$ on lock.
Many argued that is was best record(my personal opinion: I feel it's kind of overrated,First half of the CD lags to me at times, however, the 2nd half ofthe CD is pure flames)
Jay was bigger than he ever had been before.

Then Ether dropped.
(Give me a little bit, I'm about to write this up)

Sohi23, you are basically summing it all up.
Jay went at Nas like crazy on "Is That Your Chick" i forgot about that one.
It was a very good battle however Nas did win.
LRNL just put everything in its place for me and the lines that Nas said on "The General" let everybody know that he was waiting for the right timeto make his move.

Yo Jay admitted it himself of the defeat in that battle man ya'll give the sh.. up already.

It was good for hip-hop though and it had all the urban crowd in NY's ear's glued to the TV.

^It ain't like it's an official score. Even the hot 97 poll is still opinions. So even if you say that Jay admitted defeat (which I disagree with) thenI STILL don't care how even he feels about the battle because I feel like Jay won based on what I heard, what I like tohear, and how I assume the lines were received by both parties. Neither Jay, Nas, or any opinion on NT can change that.

Eye for an Eye freestyle was tough

definitely a shot @ hov.

"You on top what, cop and you f---, I said it first you repeat it/ your false crown covered in dirt, defeated"

i cant remember where exactly i heard Hov say "Cop and i f---" but i know he said it.

Then Ether dropped.
Now, say what you want about it, but this song is not considered by many to be the greatest diss song of all time for no reason.
First of all, this song made it cool to not roll with Jay.
Jay had everything on LOCKDOWN during 01'.
Nas was presumed by many to have been dead and that he fell off.
Because Nastradamus was his last album, this was probably true(but QB's finest was actually pretty good, very slept on)
Jay was the king of swag, he had everyone on his nuts, he had the nerve to go at the legend of Nas, and he did it.

Now, here's one of the main reasons as to why Jay lost.

*ignore the Pap. song at the end and the stupid Kay-Slay laugh.

Yeah, NaS did that to Jay
have you EVER seen Jay act like that?

Now Ether is alot more than just punchlines about Jay...
REASON #2
First, Biggie's ya man, then you got the nerve to say that you better than Big
%+#% sucking lips, why don't you let the late, great veteran live?
How much of Biggie's rhymes is gunna come out your fat lips?
I thought Biggie and Jay-Z were BOYS
http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=2477
According to this article, Jay and Biggie first met to record Brooklyn's finest.
I'm sure they were friends, but I don't think it was as deep as Jay made it out to be.
On "Hola Hovito"
if I ain't better than Big, I'm the closest one

indifferent.gif

First of all, how are you going to say that when you use his lyrics a lot.
Secondly how are you going to say that when Biggie is dead
Third, how the ##$* can you say that when you were supposed to be boys with Big?

REASON #3
Jay was obsessed with NaS
You been on my %+#%, ___,� you love my style
Wanted to be on every last one of my classics

You a fan, a phony, a fake, a *!%$%, a Stan
With Hawaiian Sophie fame, kept my name in his music
Let's look at the facts:
- sampling NaS on "Dead Presidents"
- samplinbg NaS on "Rap Game-Crack Game"
- Talking about NaS on "Where I'm From"
- Talking about NaS on "Sunshine"
- Asking NaS to redo the hook on "Dead Presidents", which NaS didn't do
- Asking NaS to appear on the "Dead Presidents" video, which NaS didn't do.
- Asking NaS to drop a verse on "Can I Live?, in which NaS didn't show up.
Calling my crib and I ain't even give you my numbers

To me, it's the classic case of someone(Jay) looking up to another(NaS), and that person totally @$%!%!++ on them(look above).
In 2001, Jay was the big dog and had the audience, money and popularity to finally get back at Nas for @$%!%!++ on him.
Doesn't that show you something?� Jay couldn't get over what NaS did all those years ago and had to get back at him.

REASON #4
You %%! went from Jaz to hanging with Kane, to Irv, to Big
n Eminem murdered you on your own +#!%
You a %+#%-riding %*%@++, you love the attention

Nas took shots at Jay asking him why he had to drop an album every year.
Basically implying that Jay always wanted to be in the headlines.
That he always wanted everyone to talk about him.
NaS isn't that type of dude though.
"Illmatic" dropped in 94, IWW in 96, "I Am..." and "Nastradamus" both dropped in 99(it was originally scheduled to be adouble-album, but a lot of material was leaked)
RD dropped in 96, Vol.1 dropped in 97, Vol.2 dropped in 98, Vol.3 dropped in 99, the Dynasty(he appeared on all but 2 songs), dropped in 2000.
Nas is basically implying that Jay should let his music speak for itself and to not flood the market.

When "Takeover" dropped, Nas released the "Stillmatic Intro" as a sort of pre-track to "Ether"
Months went by between Ether and Takeover.
When Ether dropped, how quickly did Jay drop "Super Ugly"
Jay couldn't resist, he rushed out a half-assed attempt to try and prove to everyone that he hadn't lost.

I don't have the vid., but NaS' reaction to "Super Ugly" was a lot different than Jay's reaction to "Ether"
Here's some quotables though:

When [Jay-Z] put on the Dre beat and started going into my baby moms, I said, 'oh, man, he's pissing her off, and he's really sounding emotional"
This is the biggest disrespect he feel like he can do.' He didn't feel like he could come at me with science in his rhymes, he felt like he had to come with disrespect. And I felt like it was disrespect. We all knew it, the whole crew knew it, we was bugging, we was laughing. I called my baby moms, she was laughing. She didn't hear it, but she heard about it. It was like, wow, this dude really overdid it.
Let's be real, man, I did Ether to him. I got into his soul, and it's obvious that I broke his spirit. He was on the radio the next day with a broken spirit sounding like crazy.
I felt sorry for Jay. And I prayed for him, and I asked a few of my peoples to pray for him, because I felt that his spirit was really broke

Let me ask you this, if Jay was so confident he beat Nas with Takeover, why did he drop "Super Ugly"?
Did NaS drop a direct diss track at Jay after "Super Ugly"?
No, he knew that he got Jay, he knew he didn't have to make another Ether to prove his point.

Ultimately, this battle wasn't about who had the hardest bars/lines.
This battle was the God MC falling out of his throne and having his spirit broken.
That, is why NaS won.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Then Ether dropped.
Now, say what you want about it, but this song is not considered by many to be the greatest diss song of all time for no reason.
First of all, this song made it cool to not roll with Jay.
Jay had everything on LOCKDOWN during 01'.
Nas was presumed by many to have been dead and that he fell off.
Because Nastradamus was his last album, this was probably true(but QB's finest was actually pretty good, very slept on)
Jay was the king of swag, he had everyone on his nuts, he had the nerve to go at the legend of Nas, and he did it.

Now, here's one of the main reasons as to why Jay lost.

*ignore the Pap. song at the end and the stupid Kay-Slay laugh.

Yeah, NaS did that to Jay
have you EVER seen Jay act like that?

Now Ether is alot more than just punchlines about Jay...
REASON #2
First, Biggie's ya man, then you got the nerve to say that you better than Big
%+#% sucking lips, why don't you let the late, great veteran live?
How much of Biggie's rhymes is gunna come out your fat lips?
I thought Biggie and Jay-Z were BOYS
http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=2477http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=2477
According to this article, Jay and Biggie first met to record Brooklyn's finest.
I'm sure they were friends, but I don't think it was as deep as Jay made it out to be.
On "Hola Hovito"
if I ain't better than Big, I'm the closest one

indifferent.gif

First of all, how are you going to say that when you use his lyrics a lot.
Secondly how are you going to say that when Biggie is dead
Third, how the ##$* can you say that when you were supposed to be boys with Big?

REASON #3
Jay was obsessed with NaS
You been on my %+#%, ___,� you love my style
Wanted to be on every last one of my classics

You a fan, a phony, a fake, a *!%$%, a Stan
With Hawaiian Sophie fame, kept my name in his music
Let's look at the facts:
- sampling NaS on "Dead Presidents"
- samplinbg NaS on "Rap Game-Crack Game"
- Talking about NaS on "Where I'm From"
- Talking about NaS on "Sunshine"
- Asking NaS to redo the hook on "Dead Presidents", which NaS didn't do
- Asking NaS to appear on the "Dead Presidents" video, which NaS didn't do.
- Asking NaS to drop a verse on "Can I Live?, in which NaS didn't show up.
Calling my crib and I ain't even give you my numbers

To me, it's the classic case of someone(Jay) looking up to another(NaS), and that person totally @$%!%!++ on them(look above).
In 2001, Jay was the big dog and had the audience, money and popularity to finally get back at Nas for @$%!%!++ on him.
Doesn't that show you something?� Jay couldn't get over what NaS did all those years ago and had to get back at him.

REASON #4
You %%! went from Jaz to hanging with Kane, to Irv, to Big
n Eminem murdered you on your own +#!%
You a %+#%-riding %*%@++, you love the attention

Nas took shots at Jay asking him why he had to drop an album every year.
Basically implying that Jay always wanted to be in the headlines.
That he always wanted everyone to talk about him.
NaS isn't that type of dude though.
"Illmatic" dropped in 94, IWW in 96, "I Am..." and "Nastradamus" both dropped in 99(it was originally scheduled to be a double-album, but a lot of material was leaked)
RD dropped in 96, Vol.1 dropped in 97, Vol.2 dropped in 98, Vol.3 dropped in 99, the Dynasty(he appeared on all but 2 songs), dropped in 2000.
Nas is basically implying that Jay should let his music speak for itself and to not flood the market.

When "Takeover" dropped, Nas released the "Stillmatic Intro" as a sort of pre-track to "Ether"
Months went by between Ether and Takeover.
When Ether dropped, how quickly did Jay drop "Super Ugly"
Jay couldn't resist, he rushed out a half-assed attempt to try and prove to everyone that he hadn't lost.

I don't have the vid., but NaS' reaction to "Super Ugly" was a lot different than Jay's reaction to "Ether"
Here's some quotables though:

When [Jay-Z] put on the Dre beat and started going into my baby moms, I said, 'oh, man, he's pissing her off, and he's really sounding emotional"
This is the biggest disrespect he feel like he can do.' He didn't feel like he could come at me with science in his rhymes, he felt like he had to come with disrespect. And I felt like it was disrespect. We all knew it, the whole crew knew it, we was bugging, we was laughing. I called my baby moms, she was laughing. She didn't hear it, but she heard about it. It was like, wow, this dude really overdid it.
Let's be real, man, I did Ether to him. I got into his soul, and it's obvious that I broke his spirit. He was on the radio the next day with a broken spirit sounding like crazy.
I felt sorry for Jay. And I prayed for him, and I asked a few of my peoples to pray for him, because I felt that his spirit was really broke

Let me ask you this, if Jay was so confident he beat Nas with Takeover, why did he drop "Super Ugly"?
Did NaS drop a direct diss track at Jay after "Super Ugly"?
No, he knew that he got Jay, he knew he didn't have to make another Ether to prove his point.

Ultimately, this battle wasn't about who had the hardest bars/lines.
This battle was the God MC falling out of his throne and having his spirit broken.
That, is why NaS won.

QFT

Back
Top Bottom