engine swap, yay or nay?

Found a good price on a 2000 accord, that needs a new engine. Is this a difficult task? I don't plan on putting a different type of engine in or anything, just replacing with a working one. How much will this run me?

Engine is obviously a serious job. I'd suggest you find a Accord with a working engine, cuz it could possibly cost around the same at the end of the day. I'd say it could run you easily 1K, get your local mechanic to go look at it.

It's really not as bad of a job as you would Imagine. As long as you are getting it for a good price id say it is worth it. Motors just bolt in for the most part.

how much is the car minus engine and do you need a COMPLETE engine or no? if the price on the car is right I say get it, finding a motor is pretty easy and wouldnt run you too much. if you get your exact motor its a direct drop in, but I recommend the F20b.

I'm waiting on this guy to pull his B18C1 for my Civy :smokin then the hunt for an AP1 cluster begins.

Edit: you can use the H22a motor from the Prelude also.

Last edited:
If you know what you're doing, have experience with working with tools and whatnot, and have the time/patience/money, then go for it. If you aren't doing an engine swap for a better performing engine, I don't see the point. You're better off just spending the extra money to buy a car that doesn't have any engine problems.

Unless you got the experience and are up to the task just buy a working honda. It would save you some trouble.

They make bolt on engines now?

Always have. As long as you have a decent grasp on mechanics(which I'm assuming OP does since he's asking the question in the 1st place) its not a terrible job.

Engine is obviously a serious job. I'd suggest you find a Accord with a working engine, cuz it could possibly cost around the same at the end of the day. I'd say it could run you easily 1K, get your local mechanic to go look at it.

1k would not be an issue. So would 1k get this job done for me?

Always have. As long as you have a decent grasp on mechanics(which I'm assuming OP does since he's asking the question in the 1st place) its not a terrible job.

No I don't. My uncle does though, I'm just wondering if this is something I could get him to do with me, or if it would be something I can get done at a shop for a decent price.

I think there are DIY videos on youtube. Shouldn't be too hard if you have mechanical skills. If not, take it to a professional or look for another car.

1k would not be an issue. So would 1k get this job done for me?

again, do you need a complete motor or is the ****** and such still there? you should be able to find a motor in nice shape for around $600. spend a little more, get a better motor. get your uncle to help, you will be charged out the *** for a swap from a shop. the fact that you're just trying to go with the exact motor that the car should have (still saying get that f20b) makes it much easier. wiring will be the hardest part.

Not that hard. All you need is the FSM to guide you for the most part. You'll prolly have trouble with the wiring if you've never messed with the electronics/sensors.

Found a good price on a 2000 accord, that needs a new engine. Is this a difficult task? I don't plan on putting a different type of engine in or anything, just replacing with a working one. How much will this run me?
How experienced are you with cars?
Engines the heart of the car. Everything starts from it.

on these Honda Accords, the ****** tend to go out.

i have a 01 V6 accord and i just went over 200k on mileage, im goin to need a rebuilt ****** soon or trade it in

again, do you need a complete motor or is the ****** and such still there? you should be able to find a motor in nice shape for around $600. spend a little more, get a better motor. get your uncle to help, you will be charged out the *** for a swap from a shop. the fact that you're just trying to go with the exact motor that the car should have (still saying get that f20b) makes it much easier. wiring will be the hardest part.

****** is still there. The thing is my uncle doesn't have much spare time. The reason I'm hesitant to ask him, is if this is something that requires a good amount of work it may take a while for him to get to it. From what your saying I'm guessing this isn't a job that would only run me 1k though, if I do bring it to a shop.

www.6thgenaccord.com/

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27142

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/

http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/honda-acura.html

The first site is one of the best forums for the Accord you're thinking of getting. The second show's how to swap a H22 Prelude engine. The third site is considered the best place to get used Honda engine. The forth one also sells engines, I've heard good things about them but I've also heard bad every once and a while. Another option you have is to find a pull your parts junk yard and just pull the engine out of a junked car yourself. If you live near PA Harry's U-Pull it will have deals where they'll sell you an engine for $80. It's best if you get a few friends and someone who's done a swap before to help you knock it out on a weekend.

first things first, is the seller saying it needs a new engine? whats his reasoning? do you know whats actually wrong with the engine? you'll be surprised how people assume its "broken" when it has some simple minor or a major issue. unless theres a giant hole coming through the block, its all ususally repairable. (although depending on what it is, it may be cheaper to buy a new engine than fix the current one). But make sure to get info on why it needs a new engine.

then gotta ask yourself you or your uncle have the necessary tools to drop that new engine in there. like jackstands or an engine hoist to lift up the engine or trans. you'll need a wiring diagram if you're not comfortable with the sensors. its alot of work, and unless you're getting the accord for crazy cheap, its probably not worth it..

Simply put, not worth the money or hassle unles you have the tools, skills, and experience to do the whole job yourself. Paying a shop or mechanic to do it would likely cost you more than what you are paying for the car.

Back
Top Bottom