ESPN Top 10 NFL pass Rushers

[h1]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=williamson_bill&id=3402791

no comment
sick.gif
tired.gif

Strahan passing torch to Allen, others[/h1]

By Bill Williamson
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: May 19, 2008

nfl_allen_williams_freeney_580.jpg

US Presswire

From left, Jared Allen, Mario Williams and Dwight Freeney revel in putting QBs in their sights.
As Michael Strahan considers retirement, there is a changing of the pass-rushing guard. With Strahan potentially out of the picture, here's a look at the top-10 players who bring in the heat in the NFL:
1. Jared Allen, DE, Minnesota Vikings: Allen is the best pure pass-rusher in the NFL. That's why Minnesota gave up a ton (a first-round pick and two third-rounders) to get him in a trade from Kansas City last month.

Allen is a defense-changing talent and he's getting better. At 26, Allen is just entering his prime. Look at last season. Despite serving a two-game league suspension for violating the substance abuse policy, Allen led the league with 15½ sacks in 14 games.

He has an incredible motor and tries to get to the quarterback every play. Expect Allen to lead the league in sacks a few more times before his career is over. There is no doubt the Vikings just acquired the most dominant pass-rusher in the NFL.

2. Mario Williams, DE, Houston Texans: Williams will secure Charley Casserly's legacy. Casserly's last move as Houston's general manager was to take Williams over Reggie Bush in the 2006 draft. Casselry was hammered for the decision initially, and the criticism only intensified when Williams struggled as a rookie (4½ sacks).

But Williams came on strong last season and was dominant in the final month. His 14 sacks tied for third in the NFL. This high ranking for Williams might be considered a reach by many, but this is a player who has already figured out the NFL and will be dominant for the next several years.

3. Dwight Freeney, DE, Indianapolis Colts: Freeney missed most of last season with a foot injury, so it's easy to forget him. That would be a mistake.

This is a premier pass-rusher; a classic pass-rusher, really. He has great burst off the edge and is worth every penny of the $72 million the Colts gave him last season. Expect Freeney to bounce back this season and give the Colts' defense a major boost with his brilliant pass-rush presence.

4. Osi Umenyiora, DE, New York Giants: Umenyiora gives the Giants a security blanket if Strahan does retire. New York's defensive front is the primary reason New York shocked Tom Brady and the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Umenyiora is a major reason for the Giants' success.

He is a big, stout player who often simply outmuscles offensive tackles. The problem with Umenyiora is that he can occasionally disappear. We'll all remember his six-sack performance against Philadelphia last season. But Umenyiora added just seven sacks the rest of the season. He needs to become more consistent.

5. DeMarcus Ware, LB, Dallas Cowboys: Ware, who had 14 sacks last season, is a consistent pass-rusher. He's also a complete player. He often covers tight ends in some passing situations. Dallas is deep with pass-rushers with Greg Ellis and Anthony Spencer in addition to Ware, so it can afford to use Ware in other situations. Yet, when he's bringing the heat, few do it better.

6. Patrick Kerney, DE, Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks acquired Kerney last year after outlasting Denver in a free-agent bidding war. Seattle is very happy it did. Kerney has one of the best motors in the game. He simply never takes a play off.

Underrated as a run-stopper, Kerney is relentless in his pursuit of the quarterback on pass plays. He outworks his opponents and just wears them down. He was second behind Allen with 14½ sacks in 2007.

7. Shawne Merriman, LB, San Diego Chargers: Merriman has taken his shots in the wake of his steroid suspension and getting blown up by Jacksonville running back Maurice Jones-Drew last season. Still, this is a quality player. Merriman is a big talent and is a threat to take over a game at any time. Quarterbacks fear him.

8. Kyle Vanden Bosch, DE Tennessee Titans: Vanden Bosch has 31 sacks the past three seasons. He is a stout player who can be counted on to knock the quarterback on his back a few times a game.

9. Jason Taylor, DE, Miami Dolphins: Taylor is slipping down the list because of age. That's all. He is a fine player. Remember, he is a season removed from being the NFL's defensive player of the year. But Taylor turns 34 just before the start of the regular season, so time might be creeping up on this dancing star.

10. Aaron Kampman, DE, Green Bay Packers: This Pro Bowler is similar to Vanden Bosch. He is consistent and creates a lot of problems for opposing offensive lines.

The list of quality pass-rushers doesn't end here. Among the other players considered for this list include New England's Adalius Thomas, Philadelphia's Trent Cole, Green Bay's Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Buffalo's Aaron Schobel, Oakland's Derrick Burgess, Denver's Elvis Dumervil, Washington's Andre Carter, the N.Y. Giants' Justin Tuck and Ellis.

Bill Williamson covers the NFL for ESPN.

All I know is Dwight Freeney is the best in the business rite now.
He puts more pressure, gets doubled more and wreaks much more havoc in the backfield then anyone.

Word to robert Mathis being rendered useless last season when Freeney got injured.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

He puts more pressure, gets doubled more and wreaks much more havoc in the backfield then anyone.

Word to robert Mathis being rendered useless last season when Freeney got injured.
Gunna you sick as I dont know what. Freeney aint the best look at his numbers from the past 2 years in his past 25 games he has 9 sacks

Jared Allen
pimp.gif

Can't wait to see the impact he'll make for us next year

Jared Allen
pimp.gif

Can't wait to see the impact he'll make for us next year

4. Osi Umenyiora, DE, New York Giants: Umenyiora gives the Giants a security blanket if Strahan does retire. New York's defensive front is the primary reason New York shocked Tom Brady and the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Umenyiora is a major reason for the Giants' success.

He is a big, stout player who often simply outmuscles offensive tackles. The problem with Umenyiora is that he can occasionally disappear. We'll all remember his six-sack performance against Philadelphia last season. But Umenyiora added just seven sacks the rest of the season. He needs to become more consistent.

Yo Osi never outmuscled anyone in his career this dude needs to go somewhere.

And Jaren Allen is one of the best all round DE's in the league right now. But I rather have Mario Williams, Julius Peppers and Ware before Allen.

Gunna you sick as I dont know what. Freeney aint the best look at his numbers from the past 2 years in his past 25 games he has 9 sacks
You missing the point. Freeney aint getting sacks because he is getting triple teamed. The Colts D-line is a bunch of DE's playing tacklewithout him.

Super Mario living up to the hype

D. Burgess is going to beast this year watch
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Anyway, I agree with Gunna, Freeny to me is the best in the game.
SO much focus from the entire Offensive gameplan is based on him, plus he makes everyone SO much better

Originally Posted by theone2401

Yo Osi never outmuscled anyone in his career this dude needs to go somewhere.

And Jaren Allen is one of the best all round DE's in the league right now. But I rather have Mario Williams, Julius Peppers and Ware before Allen.

You missing the point. Freeney aint getting sacks because he is getting triple teamed. The Colts D-line is a bunch of DE's playing tackle without him.
Nah Dwight has just lost a step imo. I dont disagree with him beating double and tripple coverage the issue I have is he used to beat that type ofcoverage.

2. Mario Williams, DE, Houston Texans: Williams will secure Charley Casserly's legacy. Casserly's last move as Houston's general manager was to take Williams over Reggie Bush in the 2006 draft. Casselry was hammered for the decision initially, and the criticism only intensified when Williams struggled as a rookie (4½ sacks).
But Williams came on strong last season and was dominant in the final month. His 14 sacks tied for third in the NFL. This high ranking for Williams might be considered a reach by many, but this is a player who has already figured out the NFL and will be dominant for the next several years.

pimp.gif

Same thing I was thinkin. I'm definitely taking freeney # 1

I dunno if I buy the excuse about Freeney, plenty of dudes get attention yet they get sacks. If all you can do is pass rush, you should be able to get yours nomatter what. It's not like he is a factor in the run game

I'm going to go with Freeney.

I didn't see his value until he went down last season. He opens up a lot for everybody and makes other players look better than they really are.

He's one of the main reasons why Bob Sanders can run reckless.

laugh.gif
this is why i have stayed out of the sports forum since i've been here. are you kidding me? there's a guy named JT that won defensive playerof the year for a reason. jt>freeney and it's not even close.

jt will be in the hof. nuff said

this is why i have stayed out of the sports forum since i've been here.

good, please stay out

and JT won his DPOY based on more than Pass Rush skills

Demarcus Ware > JT
O yea, please stay out

Back
Top Bottom