Ex sport athletes if you could start your life over, would you try harder at sports?

I played AAU baseball from age 8-15 and most of those years I was playing an age up. Had an arm injury to my throwing arm when I was pitching. Took time off to get healthy for high school season. Throwing speed took a big hit. Only was throwing 80 by my jr year. Went on to break every school pitching record but no college wants a right handed pitcher that tops out at 80. Just a tough break, but I could've worked harder in other areas of my game

Originally Posted by Regal Black

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

Would've started taking basketball more seriously in grade school and middle school. 
Same here.  I get people asking me all the time if i play ball.  I'm 6'4 btw.  I just got mad lazy and didn't care.

This but with football.

I would love to have been able to focus 100% on basketball and played at least a little in college (never would have gotten a scholarship) so I could have some kind of validation.

But I don't regret anything. What I did back then puts me where I am now.

I wish I lived in a warmer climate... 5 months no baseball every year.. SMH

Also wish I wouldnt have went to play basketball and football as much...

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
def wish I could start all over from middle school

to play texas highschool football again hell yea
but there isnt much more i coulda done being a 5'6" 245 nose FTL

i did get one offer though (half ride) to a private school i kansas (mcpherson) but i turned it down
every year around this time i wish i hadn't

Man dont even get me started...being as tall as i am I still thinking about transferring to another school just to play

I wish I could go back and get priorities straight, and tell myself to stop settling for "just enough"...having that attitude at such a early age :smh

finished out highschool with mediocre stats...didnt play college (either a juco or d2) because it wasnt "fun" anymore...

i wasnt focused anyways so i guess it was for the best
frown.gif

shoulda pulled a OJ Mayo lol

Originally Posted by vSlackin

Originally Posted by Liu Kang 23

Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda....... Thats the only place I see this going. Im out

[h2]Ex sport athletes if you could start your life over, would you try harder at sports?[/h2]

Is this not what the thread is asking? 
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I know I could have gone pro at 18 because I'm such a fast learner...

not a violent person at all but i always had a love for boxing, even when I was a kid......

I have long arms, and I like to think I'm fast with my hands......I know when I work hard I work hard so I could have been a serious problem...

thing about boxing is, it's a popular sport but not on the same level as basketball, baseball or football, so the percentage of young black kids doing it isn't nearly as high as those other sports...I feel I could have got far in this sport.......with basketball or football it's different, because you know some one on your block growing up that has played one or the other, and you probably have a cousin that plays one also...but with boxing it's kind of different.

you might bump into some one that's training in boxing or karate, but it isn't common as the other sports......back in the day everybody wanted to be michael jordan or randy moss.....as young kids we just watched mike tyson, with jordan and moss, we actually TRIED to go out there and play just like them.

I also think more young kids played basketball and football because they were so easy to come by, you could be walking down the street and find a missing football or basketball, you had coaches at your school where you could have signed up after the last bell.....you had friends that came and got you out the house to go play a game....with boxing you actually had to go out and find the right gym, or get some one to take you everyday if one was kind of far....plus you had to get an OK from your parents.....because the sport is so rough.

I would have continued playing baseball throughout Junior High School and try out for my schools team freshman year of High School. and hoped to continue from there.

Or, I would have stuck with soccer instead of hating it at age four/five and quitting from there
laugh.gif

I wish I took my father pushing me as a motivator and not as a turn off. I don't know about pro but scholarship for sure. So much hitting power wasted.

I starting running track at my sophomore year in H.S and was able to get a full ride. If I stuck with it I would have been on the pro circuit like some of my friends. I like where I am and doing now so no regrets.

would have played organized basketball just once

played my whole life and was pretty good when i was younger but just didn't wanna be on a team

I actually wish I would have quite while I was ahead. I hit my growth spurt early so in elementary and middle school, I was always the biggest and most athletic. It gave me a pretty big ego heading into highschool, when most other guys started catching up and eventually passing me in height and athleticism. Played 2 years JV and quit halfway through my senior Varsity year (didn't play junior year cuz I was slacking in grades). Everytime I think about it, I should have been honest to myself, sucked it up and accepted the bench role. Instead of enjoying 2 years of Varsity that I would never get to experience again,  I was a bitter chump and didn't do anything for a season and a half 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by dline59

to play texas highschool football again hell yea
but there isnt much more i coulda done being a 5'6" 245 nose FTL

i did get one offer though (half ride) to a private school i kansas (mcpherson) but i turned it down
every year around this time i wish i hadn't
That same school was talking to me for football! I wouldn't change anything regarding effort I put in...the only thing I'd change is taking injuries more seriously...tweeked my shoulder in practice during week 5 senior year...ended up dislocating shoulder that Friday night...bam senior season over, team finishes year 1-4 after starting 5-1
tired.gif

Originally Posted by ku JHAWX

That same school was talking to me for football! I wouldn't change anything regarding effort I put in...the only thing I'd change is taking injuries more seriously...tweeked my shoulder in practice during week 5 senior year...ended up dislocating shoulder that Friday night...bam senior season over, team finishes year 1-4 after starting 5-1
tired.gif

Ah, the good ol' days when I felt invisible...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by donttalkitlivit

Originally Posted by TennHouse2

Yea i wish i could go back to middle school and start over from there

Would never had made the pro's, but I could have gotten a scholarship for college

That how I feel..

definitely. after being just a manager for a good D1 team, i realized how easy it is to make it onto one. I definitely could have played basketball or golf in college.

Tough question, I'm definitely a waste of athleticism but would I rather be a waste of mind---I kinda knew exactly what I wanted to do since I was young so my goals of being an athlete always took a back seat especially after high school

I was a "blue chip" full back that ran that squatted 440 in highschool, ran a 4.5 and should have been playing running back, but there were dudes smaller than me who ran just a hair faster but could not roll over people like I did.

I weighed 188 going into my senior year and also held the district record for the 110 meter hurdles. I was athletic as !+*$ could do a full back flip with all my pads on, had girls on my **** and scouts from big name Division I schools sending me letters and calling me at home.

I was a beast in the weight room and live breathed and slept football...

All until my senior year. I told my coach about an opportunity for me during summer and asked him if he'd allow me to miss that years camp (I had attended/played Varsity since I was a freshman) and coach said "ok". When I returned dude had a chip on his shoulder and benched me the first three games of the season and told the local reporter that it was for a discipline problem. By this time, the calls started dropping off and I was so depressed that I lost all my drive. Dude took the wind out of my sail. During my third benched game after an 800 plus season as a junior fullback, I took off my pads and headed to the locker room.

Dude finally broke me.

After that I started getting calls from lower level schools and just lost all interest.

I ended up going to LSU in 96 and lived in the athletic dorm soon after. At the time, I knew Ryan Clark (Steelers) and saw a bunch of future NFL stars all the time. I never even thought to walk on because I thought it was beneath me.
30t6p3b.gif

I had all the drive and let a racist +*% pedo !+*$ up my career.

If I had to do it over, I would've transferred early in my high school career and I would be in the league. No doubt in my mind.

I'm happy though, but sometimes I think about what I threw away.

don't play sports now and if I could start my life over I still wouldn't play them. just never interested me, not the competitive type.

Back
Top Bottom