April Wrestling Thread/NTWT Weekend Edition/WM April 10th 2021

Just listen to the Masked man show and he had Brian campbell on. They discuss NXT and everything but two things that really got me thinking was

1. Let Kofi win! It’s easy and fun but most important how great would it be for the fans who are experiencing that weekend and Raw/SD if they ended their time with a New Say celebration of Kofi. SD usually is not as poppin’ as Raw but that would excite some people to stay.

2. THE BIG DAWG! They were talking about
possibly that Roman help Seth and that sets up those two for the next PPV and it could replace the women. If they push Roman out there to close the show with Seth wouldn’t that just piss off people more going forward towards Roman AGAIN and now Seth?
Lol I just finished this ep and wanted to come in here and talk about it....

I completely agree with what they said on how they may have stumbled into a second coming of The Yes Movement push, except this time DB is on the other end, and Kofi is in his place. Fans have latched on, and New Day really is the perfect foil for Bryan going into Mania. Huge merch sellers, over the top shenanigans, etc. Everything this Captain Planet character hates. Bryan will have to win at Fastlane via some sort of chicanery from Rowan and maybe a returning Harper or something like that. Then you can do a rematch at Mania and do the New Day coronation. Would be pretty awesome.

I think the women still close the show, as Becky winning is going to be the biggest pop, but I definitely see Roman getting involved somehow in Brock/Seth.

1716b84fe3425329b0a3f670510b4b37.gif

I never got TJO after the first four months he was on TV. Didn’t that would last.

I watched Main Event last night for no reason and I cant believe they’re still doing the two matches and long recaps of what happen this past week as if they don’t have social media platforms, YT, and a Hulu deal that allows you to watch the best part.l of Raw and SD plus NXT. They should turn that into a legitimate 1 hour show and let people get some real time. Hell put the US title on there every once and a while to make it important since it’s not that important on SD.

Lol I just finished this ep and wanted to come in here and talk about it....

I completely agree with what they said on how they may have stumbled into a second coming of The Yes Movement push, except this time DB is on the other end, and Kofi is in his place. Fans have latched on, and New Day really is the perfect foil for Bryan going into Mania. Huge merch sellers, over the top shenanigans, etc. Everything this Captain Planet character hates. Bryan will have to win at Fastlane via some sort of chicanery from Rowan and maybe a returning Harper or something like that. Then you can do a rematch at Mania and do the New Day coronation. Would be pretty awesome.

I think the women still close the show, as Becky winning is going to be the biggest pop, but I definitely see Roman getting involved somehow in Brock/Seth.
How long does Kofi hold the belt after that?

I watched Main Event last night for no reason and I cant believe they’re still doing the two matches and long recaps of what happen this past week as if they don’t have social media platforms, YT, and a Hulu deal that allows you to watch the best part.l of Raw and SD plus NXT. They should turn that into a legitimate 1 hour show and let people get some real time. Hell put the US title on there every once and a while to make it important since it’s not that important on SD.

Thing is..that's what Main Event originally was :lol:

They actually advanced storylines on there and even had a US/IC title match or 2 on there before it became another Superstars.

How long does Kofi hold the belt after that?

I would go to SummerSlam if they want a bigger “star” when they open up on Fox. Maybe have Kofi drop the belt in the main event of that opening show. The New Day can hold a show up for the summer I don’t see anything them being involved being boring.

Kofi Kingston on Vince McMahon's reaction to the crowd rejecting the New Day's initial positivity gimmick: "He really thought that the positivity gimmick was going to be over with the crowd. He was very shocked that it didn't go over with the crowd."
renderTimingPixel.png

Link to E&C's Pod of Awesomeness - "KofiMania" Kofi Kingston

• Kofi says the original idea of the New Day was for three guys who were disgruntled with their position in the company, but after two weeks the idea was squashed. He says that they were in and out of Vince's office every week pitching ideas to him for 4 to 6 months.

• Vince would tweak whatever they gave him and they told him that whatever it is that Vince gave the New Day they would make it work.

• Vince finally gave them the gimmick of being preachers and preaching positivity. Kofi says they were nodding yes, but in they're head saying no.

• After fans rejected them as faces, he says they embraced that. And they finally talked to Vince about letting them be heels.
He really thought that the positivity gimmick was going to be over with the crowd. He was very shocked that it didn't go over with the crowd. But he couldn't deny the reaction that was happening so he actually let us be bad guys.

• In the end he says he was happy that he got to play a bad guy for the first time in that way.
Some other notes

• Kofi says he spent a month thinking of spots to do in the Elimination Chamber back in 2009 and was told the same day of the PPV that Edge would be taking his spot. (Edge later states that he felt bad when that happened)

• He says that Mustafa Ali would have killed it in this position, so he has to kill it and he can't allow it to be a let down and he has to seize the moment.

• Triple H came up with the idea of New Day coming out of the cereal box at WrestleMania 32.

• Kofi says that the New Day has earned the trust of Vince and the writing team. He says they have "a very long leash."

• New Day are given promos, but they retool and revamp the whole thing. Then when they show it to Vince he says "Ugh, I don't get this." But since they have that long leash Vince has faith that they will be entertaining.

• Kofi says that a lot of his inspiration for moves he does comes from Kung-fu movies, Cartoons and Anime. If he sees something cool he wants to try and recreate it in real life.

Back
Top Bottom