Fed up with Windows....any LINUX users here?

I use linux, I just typed up a big reply but hit the back button by accident so im not typing all that up again.
If you need more control and you are willing to put the effort into READING the information, linux is for you.
Like college, you get out of it what you put into it, its not like Windows where everything is done for you.

I dual boot, and since I read alot of documents at the main Ubuntu site, I don't apps like wubi to dual boot, you'll find there are better lightweightways to do things then they're automated counterparts your so quick to download. No hate over here, but you really need to let go of the cradle Windowsmade for you all these if you want to learn linux.

Only reason I use the Windows installation more than my Ubuntu side,(also the main reason, along with the learning curve, Ubuntu hasn't killed windows yet)is because of video games.I don't care what any one says, as soon as mainstream games hit linux you'd be surprised at how quick everyone switches. Thecorporate world already accepted linux, all thats left is the gamers, and msoft is making sure (via nice payoffs) that studios stay loyal. Damn, I didn'twant to go on a rant
laugh.gif
, yeah you can tell I'm into this %%*@, thatsjust me though.

If you understand pc's and can count on your fingers things in windows that annoy you, its time to at least linux.

So I finally installed Ubuntu into Windows over the weekend onto my desktop.
I really liked it, but I didn't get to use it as much as I wanted too. My wireless router reset itself about a year ago. Only the computers that were inthe house at the time are still able to access the network. All others can't because I don't know the random password that the router has. I didn'tfeel like paying Linksys $30 to reconfigure it.
But besides that set back it ran really smooth, I'll prob install it on my laptop after I get Windows 7.
My friend is majoring in architecture, she is interested in Linux. Which would be better Kubuntu or Ubuntu?

I don't know the random password that the router has.

Sometimes the default password is actually on the router... not to be condescending but some people don't know that.

Linux is cool. It does all the basic things that Windows can do. If you're a standard computer user where you usually use Office Applications, theInterweb, IM, and Email then Linux can easily replace your Windows box.

The problem is that windows has had years to perfect automation, which is a double edged sword.

Linux doesn't have the same automation to install programs and updates and fixes like Windows does, so some of those things you will have to 1.) learn, and2.) apply manually, which will take some getting used to but may be worth it.

I dual boot Win 7 and Ubuntu 9.0 and my pc (HP Elitebook 8530) runs so much better under Linux. I think that since one of Linux's strong points is how itinteracts with hardware on a very basic level and thus runs faster and smoother.

I like it.

Originally Posted by GolfAlphaBravoEcho

I don't know the random password that the router has.

Sometimes the default password is actually on the router... not to be condescending but some people don't know that.

Linux is cool. It does all the basic things that Windows can do. If you're a standard computer user where you usually use Office Applications, the Interweb, IM, and Email then Linux can easily replace your Windows box.

The problem is that windows has had years to perfect automation, which is a double edged sword.

Linux doesn't have the same automation to install programs and updates and fixes like Windows does, so some of those things you will have to 1.) learn, and 2.) apply manually, which will take some getting used to but may be worth it.

I dual boot Win 7 and Ubuntu 9.0 and my pc (HP Elitebook 8530) runs so much better under Linux. I think that since one of Linux's strong points is how it interacts with hardware on a very basic level and thus runs faster and smoother.

I like it.
I tried the default that they recommended on the website but it didnt work. But my uncle is the one who set it up, he lives upstate. But it'sreally not a big problem.
Any app suggestions?

My desktop is about 4 years old and my XP crashed this past summer, corrupted and wouldn't even load anymore. I installed ubuntu because I would haveneeded to upgrade to get Vista, plus I didn't want it anyway. I really like it a lot. It runs so much smoother than XP used to, less hassle and problems. Idon't have an interest or knowledge of anything advanced with it, command lines and what not, so it gets confusing at times for me, so that's adownside. Ubuntu comes with basically everything you need though, firefox, IM program, Openoffice, etc.

I just got a netbook with XP on it and I don't know if I'd still ubuntu over windows. It's just the frustration of running into incompatibilityproblems and I don't have the linux knowledge to always solve it. I like having both though, I'll do most of my work with the ubuntu PC, and whatever Ican't I have XP on the netbook, so it's best of both worlds I suppose.

Linux > Your life

I'm right now on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala Beta, some people say it is more difficult to use because of the command line but if you really look at isit's harder the Windows way, see:

In Ubuntu you type 'sudo apt-get install vlc' and you install VLC (the best media player by far) and you get automatic upgrades for ever.

In Windows you have to go to Google, type VLC, download the installer, check the installer with your antivirus, clic 3 times next and then type finish and totop it off reboot your computer to finish the installation and forget about getting automatic upgrades.

Also forget about virus, there are only 50 virus or so that can infect the Linux kernel and those are the type of virus that you need to give permission to runon your computer, so no way you getting infected, I only have a antivirus to scan mi Windows partition that I only have so I can run Photoshop, wich I couldrun with Wine in Linux but I don't want to download again PS with my !%!#$$ connection.

Ubuntu is the easiest distro right now but OpenSUSE, Fedora and Debian are great distros (or OSs) and nothing tops free... so try Linux you will simplify yourlife...

If you running Ubuntu go to Applications > Accesories > Terminal then a window opens with the command line, there is where you tpy the comands like'sudo apt-get install xxxxxx'; being sudo the command so you can be the root user (the user that can do everything on the OS), apt-get the commandcalling the software database, install the command that says what to do to the software database (being isntalling a program) and xxxxx bieng the name of theprogram.

Then you type your OS password and sometimes it asks you if you want to install pressing the y or n key and done, you have a program installed.

aight im pretty much convinced now lol. but where do i download and for a beginner, any suggestions on how to go through with this??

thanks guys. an update:
in a few months, i'm gonna opt for a macbook pro and bootcampd win7 since people seem to like it over vista.
as for my current setup, its an older computer so linux for sure. most of my frustrations with windows came from general upkeep issues due to virus/malware. itry to cover all bases but it gets tedious after a while...
i'll try ubuntu and then go from there. did some programming back in school so command lines are no problem; i was just worried about some compatibilityissues and apps and whatnot but it looks like i got nuthin to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom