Fed up with Windows....any LINUX users here?

i think i'm done with windows. xp, vista
any people switch to a linux setup? if so, how do you like it?

I made a thread on Ubuntu a while back, got some replies but eventually died out.
But I do have the Ubuntu cd which you can order for free.
I wanted it just to try a new os, don't have a problem with Vista and I ordered Windows 7.
You can get W7 for $30 if you are a college student.
Once I go back home I'll put Ubuntu on my desktop and might dual boot it with 7 on my laptop

It's a lot faster than Windows or Mac, but it can be frustrating to work with. I'd imagine once you learn how to really use it well you can probablybe able to get any program to work on it you want.

Also which Linux OS do you plan on getting, there are a decent amount out there and I believe they get major updates twice a year?

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

It's a lot faster than Windows or Mac, but it can be frustrating to work with. I'd imagine once you learn how to really use it well you can probably be able to get any program to work on it you want.
i had ubuntu installed...its not bad at all...some stuff just isn't made for linux...like some games and ETC. Windows just @@#!%% everythingup by trying to monopolize

I really have no problem with Vista, but I'm excited for Windows 7. I'm also pretty hyped for Google Chrome next year.

Tried Ubuntu and it wasn't compatible with the hardware in my laptop so it was no go.

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Whats a good instant messenger for ubuntu?

The stock one on there is decent. Pidgin or something like that, it;s got everything in one. I used Ubuntu for a few weeks it was just too frustrating havingto use that command lines to install things and all that. Other than that and the fact you can't use most normal programs people are used to on Windows andMac is the only down sides IMO. If you use Pidgin make sure you go to the plugins for it and activate the one that makes new messages blink. I was buggin'out wondering why new IMs weren't blinking.
laugh.gif

OK Ubuntu is what you want.

If your on a PC your good but the only thing Ubuntu wont work with is a HP DVT 4 laptop. Its a Great OS you just have to Google alot of things because itsdifferent then windows but the learning curve is easy. My only issue was that the built in media players WERE TASH but VLC and I forgot another program allowsyou to get around on that plus games that play on it are a rarity but thats no different then owning a mac with PC games

Originally Posted by Capo617

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Whats a good instant messenger for ubuntu?

The stock one on there is decent. Pidgin or something like that, it;s got everything in one. I used Ubuntu for a few weeks it was just too frustrating having to use that command lines to install things and all that. Other than that and the fact you can't use most normal programs people are used to on Windows and Mac is the only down sides IMO. If you use Pidgin make sure you go to the plugins for it and activate the one that makes new messages blink. I was buggin' out wondering why new IMs weren't blinking.
laugh.gif

More info on these command lines?
And are the plugins easy to find?

i dual boot with ubuntu the command lines,wireless and partitioning are my only hang ups with it

I used Ubuntu for a while after getting fed up with Vista... I ended up getting a Macbook pro so now I just dual boot snow leopard with xp. On another note....How's windows 7?

Originally Posted by gd87

I used Ubuntu for a while after getting fed up with Vista... I ended up getting a Macbook pro so now I just dual boot snow leopard with xp. On another note.... How's windows 7?

W7 is
pimp.gif
. It's basically what Vista was suppose to be. But, I do prefer OS X.

But, about the topic at hand, I used Kubuntu for a while (its KDE, unlike Ubuntu, which basically means it's a lot easier to customize for beginners.) Ineed to get around to getting the latest version so that I can triple boot on this mofo.
pimp.gif

Anyways, I like Kubuntu's set up, but I'm not crazy about it. I can't really speak on Ubuntu.

i'm taking a linux class in college this semester and next semester.......its the most boring class ever....but i would like to eventually switch over toit once i got the hang of it....i'm just sick of virus's

Ubuntu FTW...i love it. It's the only OS I use and its money.

You got to be a techy to really be able to utilize all that it has to offer, but once you do, man you can have a great time.

I recently installed crossover on my ubuntu and I can run almost all the Windows applications that I need.

The best thing about Linux is that, everything you need is outthere and its free!

RTEmagicC_Linux_01.JPG.jpg

im on Ubuntu rite meow but i also have windows vista, i usually just use ubuntu but wen i wanna d/l sumthin ill hop on vista. Partitioned harddrive with dualboot FTW

EDIT: ill be nice, here's the link from Download.com, its called a wubi installer, it partitions ur harddrive for u and u jus choose how much memory u wantubuntu to take up. everytime u start up ur comp u get to choose which OS to start up
pimp.gif
. Takes about an hour plus ubuntu updates itsself once u start it up, sooo worth it tho
http://download.cnet.com/...-10701841.html?tag=mncol

Soltheman,

If you would like to learn more about Windows 7 and how it could meet your needs Microsoft does have a site with whitepapers, tutorials, walkthroughs andscreen casts on all the "under the hood" features in Win 7. Check out the Springboard site for Windows 7 on TechNet here http://tinyurl.com/832nco

Also, if you would like to read what other users have said about their positive experience with Windows 7, you may want to check out the following sites:http://tinyurl.com/5tfr8 and http://tinyurl.com/nsm3s

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Back
Top Bottom