FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Average tacos for lunch
IMG_20200821_122705__01.jpg

M Mark Antony tomdiginson tomdiginson

I ate a boiled green banana with eggs and bacon. I might use them more often paired with food. I guess I can sub out times I would use sweet potatoes for them.

How do yall usually use them.
It's a multipurpose item that can be used for all three of the different meals. Usually, I boil them along with other ground provisions (yam, dasheen cassava, dumpling, etc), but they can also be cooked solo and paired with stew chicken, most curried items, steamed fish, ackee and saltfish, callaloo, etc. Most of these items have a nice gravy, so the green banana pairs very well with them. You can even use it to make porridge. Similar to the plantain porridge we also make with the green plantain.

Last edited:
It's a multipurpose item that can be used for all three of the different meals. Usually, I boil them along with other ground provisions (yam, dasheen cassava, dumpling, etc), but they can also be cooked solo and paired with stew chicken, most curried items, steamed fish, ackee and saltfish, callaloo, etc. Most of these items have a nice gravy, so the green banana pairs very well with them.
Hmmm, making it with stews/curries sounds like a good idea. Thanks for that. Appreciate "The Help."

I also edited the post to add, that you can use it to make porridge as well.
Ok. I have tried that before. I enjoy the viscosity that gives the porridge.

I was trying to graduate using it as A side starch.

Last edited:
*UPDATE*

Omar's Kitchen and Rum Bar has officially opened.

The address is 29A Clinton Street, New York, NY 10002

Open Everyday from 4PM - 2AM

And since this is NT, here are some pics of the food:

83e29ccf2446885a32e74e57ba6fd7e24acdfea7.jpg

0ddde87ec43a3dd029742c8b8672b26701804d23.jpg

8b6120cc86e03391cc9047d392a64d3bd4b1b635.jpg

If you're in the area, come & get a plate.

ABC7 News caught wind of my homie's restaurant and featured him on their #NeighborhoodEats segment yesterday. The link to the article and video is below. I'm happy to see he's up and running despite the current circumstances & the ever changing rules/regulations. Again, if you're ever in the area, come & get yourself a plate.

https://abc7ny.com/video/embed/?pid=6382588

Neighborhood Eats: NYC Caribbean restaurant thriving despite COVID restrictions

*Having issues embedding the video. If anyone can assist me, I would greatly appreciate it.*

Last edited:
What are those 2 circular things below the tunas
The store here has a couple different sizes of pre-made crabcakes. We get the medium sized ones from time to time and they aren't bad. This time got the small ones to see what they were like since they were so cheap and they were trash. Wouldn't buy again.

Billy Durney’s (Hometown BBQ) second restaurant. Reservation list was about 1-2 months out before COVID happened. Supposed to have one of the best burgers in NYC amongst other things. Great wine and cocktail list too.

Back
Top Bottom