Forced to Write a Statement Against a Coworker? Help me out, NT.

About 2 weeks ago, one of my friends at work got written up for being late on Christmas.  He's been written up a bunch (all due to excessive latenesses) so they were threatening to terminate him, until he said to our supervisor that he thinks it's insane that his job is on the line when there's people at our job who are blatantly under the influence when they come into work.  Once he said that our supervisor told him that they would forget about the write-up and he could keep his job if he wrote a statement against three of our coworkers in order to make them take a drug test.  Is this legal?  Keep in mind, this is a non-union job.  I've done some googling since I got home, but haven't found any definitive answers.  I'd ask another coworker, but my friend confided in me to keep it a secret to avoid getting him in any more trouble.  Any insight is more than appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

From my HR experience everyone on the job would have to take a drug test same day if this was to happen... And that's a BIG IF... Depends if its a small shop, store.. A large company - every detail matters to give a better response.

From my HR experience everyone on the job would have to take a drug test same day if this was to happen... And that's a BIG IF... Depends if its a small shop, store.. A large company - every detail matters to give a better response.
Large organization.  A hospital with multiple facilities all over New York.

dry snitch to keep your job??????/
I'm saying though just cause u ****** up dont try and take everyone down with u. Job probably gonna fire the employees that was smokin and him just cause. I don't get why people think being a snitch makes the boss like u. They just gonna get all the info from u then leave u out to dry cause they hate snitches too

I'm saying though just cause u ****** up dont try and take everyone down with u. Job probably gonna fire the employees that was smokin and him just cause. I don't get why people think being a snitch makes the boss like u. They just gonna get all the info from u then leave u out to dry cause they hate snitches too
My supervisor says he loves rats. 
laugh.gif

...but it's not really "dry snitching" considering that everyone knows who the culprits are, including management.  In all honesty, I'm kind of glad he said it.  It would be one thing if the people doing drugs at work were considerate, hard workers...but they're lazy and have bad attitudes.

are you sure this isnt about you instead of your co-worker? i mean either way its nothing you can do to save them being if they tell they're fired and if they dont they're fired... so i think your're covering for urself...

dont get powerballed...:lol:

are you sure this isnt about you instead of your co-worker? i mean either way its nothing you can do to save them being if they tell they're fired and if they dont they're fired... so i think your're covering for urself...

dont get powerballed...
laugh.gif
Positive.  He's my best friend at work and I don't wanna see him get fired considering that he's one of the few people at my job that I can actually tolerate.  I just wanted to see if there was something he could do (go to HR, for example) in order to avoid this and still keep his job.  Management at my job is shady and similar situations have come up in the past.

What do I gain by saying it's not me, anyways? And how would I get "powerballed"? Kind of hard to get "exposed" on NikeTalk for a situation that involves my job.

I hope your friend writes the statement, and STILL gets fired. And if he doesn't get fired, I hope you supervisor lets those people know that is was his statement that led to their (possible) termination. Trying to drag others under the bus because he can't to work on time? Your boy is a sucka.

I hope your friend writes the statement, and STILL gets fired. And if he doesn't get fired, I hope you supervisor lets those people know that is was his statement that led to their (possible) termination. Trying to drag others under the bus because he can't to work on time? Your boy is a sucka.
I see exactly where you're coming from, and from a purely logical standpoint I totally agree.  He's been given so many warnings and gotten so many write ups for constantly being late.  He's one of the more irresponsible people I've ever met.  I give him crap for it all the time.  But at the same time, he's the only person I work with that I would consider to be a legitimate friend of mine.  At the end of the day, I'd rather see them go than see him go.

Tell your friend to man up and face whatever is coming to him. Don't need to drag other people down. He has been written up numerous times so what did he expect to happen. The people coming to work under the influence eventually gonna get caught and will only be a matter of time before they're gone if they don't get their act together. If that supervisor did indeed say that, that person needs to get fired too. If they suspect something, they need to speak up, not ask someone else to report it.

Last edited:
QFT

when i worked at lids if u called the HR line and complained on ur boss they would just email everything u said straight to ur boss or DM who would tell ur boss... so stupid

What role do these other people play in the hospital?
One is a cook, the other two are dietary aides.  I'm thinking our supervisor proposed the written statement option because: 1. He doesn't like the people suspected of doing drugs at work (or at least dislikes them more than my friend), and 2. They pose more of a liability than the dude that's late all of the time.

Your friend is a lame. Bringing down other people because of his own faults. I hope they find out he snitched and beat the lateness out him.

Your friend is a lame. Bringing down other people because of his own faults. I hope they find out he snitched and beat the lateness out him.
The whole situation is lame.  On one hand, I don't wanna see my best work friend lose his job.  On the other, he messed up big time and should ultimately pay for his mistakes.  What's bad about this is it could potentially impact me if they decide to drug test everyone.  I vaped a few times at the end of December/beginning of January.  I feel like I should order some synthetic urine and start exercising and drinking a ton of water just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your help, freelythinkingmind, and thank you to everyone else for your responses (no sarcasm).  I understand where you guys are coming from and I ain't eem mad.

Ahhhh NYC hospital politics.
I wish I could give you better advice. All I can say is I know that feel bro.

Dammmm b
Ppl get shot in hood for issh like this.
tell ur boy to take the l and not to snitch

Last edited:
The whole situation is lame.  On one hand, I don't wanna see my best work friend lose his job.  On the other, he messed up big time and should ultimately pay for his mistakes.  What's bad about this is it could potentially impact me if they decide to drug test everyone.  I vaped a few times at the end of December/beginning of January.  I feel like I should order some synthetic urine and start exercising and drinking a ton of water just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your help, freelythinkingmind, and thank you to everyone else for your responses (no sarcasm).  I understand where you guys are coming from and I ain't eem mad.
Why don't you just stop smoking knowing that you have an employer that can drug test you at will? You weed smokers kill me with how you try to get over.

Your friend a sucker. Straight up. No real dude will drag others down with him because he got in trouble. That right there is a clear indicator to stop messing with him and keep your distance because you already know what he'll resort to when under the microscope.

Back
Top Bottom