Gettin my first dog? Adopt or Purchase? What Breed you recommend? Any info is appreciated.

Was up my fellow NT'ers thinking about getting my first dog. Dont know if to adopt or just purchase? Want a medium breed but no pitbulls, rotts, or dobermans, home owners wont cover it. I have an 8 yr old daughter great with animals dog is mostly for her. Want an english bulldog but I heard they are a lot of upkeep. Work 8-5 so dont know if that is an issue. Got a nice sized gated yard so he will have room to chill.

Please provide any info, insight you might have. Anything you wish people would have told you before you got your dog thanks ahead of time.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/

You can learn a lot from that site... how to train, which dogs are good for indoors or outdoors, good guard dogs, good dogs around small children... ect. AND YES, IF ANYTHING... RESCUE!

It'll cost less for you, they usually already come neutered/spayed and have all their shots. And those dogs will be more loyal and companionship knowing you saved them

If you don't have much time during the day to play with and train it don't get a puppy..

Like Marcher said, rescue one, and rescue a slightly older one like a year or two and is fully house trained.

definitely adopt.  pure breeds will sell, but poor pups dying everyday b/c they dont get adopted
Bella  I got her for 70 bucks which covered adoption fees and first shots.  love her to death
pimp.gif

About 4 months ago, one of my mini pinscher  died and I was looking to buy another dog for my other pinscher cuz he needed a buddy to play with. I ended up adopting a male Yorkie
laugh.gif
. I didn't know what to expect with this dog....But the Yorkie was trained to do tricks and when he needs to go to the restroom, he goes to the door, sit and bark so I can let him outside so he can do his duty out there.  Also, he a chick magnet. Got a few numbers from females taking him walking and to the park
pimp.gif
...So glad I adopted him!!!

Pug!

The most loyal, playful and smart dog I have ever came in contact with. Plus their one of the best dogs for children and one of the longest life spans of a dog (16 years)

I just got an English Bulldog - great dog but they want SO much attention. Probbably not a good dog to start off with, but if you have the patients, they can be great!

Absolutely adopt.

Do the research, man. Temperament and activity/fitness levels will be important if it's going to be sitting in the house alone for most of the day. There are plenty of breeds that won't stand for that, especially something like a Shiba Inu (and pretty much any puppy). Be cognizant of the health issues that specific breeds have, and of course, make sure what you get is child-friendly. Certain breeds need to be acclimated to kids from birth. And I'm guessing you'll want one that is pretty low maintenance.

Any site or shelter you adopt from will obviously have this specific information about every specific dog, but have an idea of what you're looking for going into it.

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/

You can learn a lot from that site... how to train, which dogs are good for indoors or outdoors, good guard dogs, good dogs around small children... ect. AND YES, IF ANYTHING... RESCUE!

It'll cost less for you, they usually already come neutered/spayed and have all their shots. And those dogs will be more loyal and companionship knowing you saved them

I came in here to post that link.
It's helped me a lot with my boxer/pit terrier mix.

OP take this quiz http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

Damn I was gonna say dobie. I love my dobies. Look into a rhodesian ridge back. Mine is so mellow and laid back and good with my daughter. He's not an attention !#+@% at all. Super good watch dog too. I can leave him outside with my daughter while I'm inside because I know he'll murder anyone who comes in the yard. Look into your homeowners first though because they aren't allowed alot. I guess any dog who will protect you is "aggressive " -_-

My guy looks like this. He's a bigger one about 90 pounds

rhodesian-ridgeback-722057.jpg%20

Back
Top Bottom