Getting into Canada with a DUI

Hey NT,

Got a DUI in March 2013.

Now, my friend is planning to have a bachelor party in Montreal this coming May. I realize that DUI are taken very seriously in Canada and there is a possibility that I can be turned away. I have read stories of people getting through by just being honest with the guards, but that is still isn't guaranteed.

I'm wondering if I need any special pardons, waivers, fees for me to get into Canada? I read that I might have to apply for a Temp Residency, but I also saw that if you have just one DUI on your record, you might be able to get in. I am planning to fly in from SF. do you know what the process is like from the airport? I have not had any other confrontations with the law since my DUI.

I know it's a lot of info in one message but any info would help.

Hey NT,

Got a DUI in March 2013.

Now, my friend is planning to have a bachelor party in Montreal this coming May. I realize that DUI are taken very seriously in Canada and there is a possibility that I can be turned away. I have read stories of people getting through by just being honest with the guards, but that is still isn't guaranteed.

I'm wondering if I need any special pardons, waivers, fees for me to get into Canada? I read that I might have to apply for a Temp Residency, but I also saw that if you have just one DUI on your record, you might be able to get in. I am planning to fly in from SF. do you know what the process is like from the airport? I have not had any other confrontations with the law since my DUI.

I know it's a lot of info in one message but any info would help.

It's a criminal charge here, so yes you will likely be denied. Temp residency at port of entry is only good if your charge was 5+ years ago, however it can still be completed "for information purpose only" at the border.

The real issue is, despite your best efforts, no guarantees can be made about entry. It still comes down to the one border guard, and he can send you back for whatever reason and blame the DUI. If you are sub 25, I'd wager they turn you back. Leniency is typically only given to older individuals

If you have any other arrests (don't even have to be charges, just arrests) you will be denied entry 100%.

Best of luck fam, if you have any other questions let me know

Last edited:
It's a criminal charge here, so yes you will likely be denied. Temp residency at port of entry is only good if your charge was 5+ years ago, however it can still be completed "for information purpose only" at the border.

The real issue is, despite your best efforts, no guarantees can be made about entry. It still comes down to the one border guard, and he can send you back for whatever reason and blame the DUI. If you are sub 25, I'd wager they turn you back. Leniency is typically only given to older individuals

If you have any other arrests (don't even have to be charges, just arrests) you will be denied entry 100%.

Best of luck fam, if you have any other questions let me know

Thanks for this.

I've actually started the same thread here:http://niketalk.com/t/621856/getting-into-canada-with-a-dui

But you've posted before I can close this thread. However, to answer your questions, I'm 28 and have not had a run in with the cops since the DUI. Regarding the Temp Residency "for information purpose only," do you know what exactly that means?

On the CBSA site, it says I can call in advance to ask. If I do this, and for some reason, they say NO, but I still book my flight and go, will that convo come up if they check?

Thanks for this.

I've actually started the same thread here:http://niketalk.com/t/621856/getting-into-canada-with-a-dui

But you've posted before I can close this thread. However, to answer your questions, I'm 28 and have not had a run in with the cops since the DUI. Regarding the Temp Residency "for information purpose only," do you know what exactly that means?

On the CBSA site, it says I can call in advance to ask. If I do this, and for some reason, they say NO, but I still book my flight and go, will that convo come up if they check?

Honestly, there is a good chance they don't even ask you about it. Out of 100+ border crossings I can probably count the amount of times I've been asked if I was a criminal.

More food for thought:

• Any run ins before this charge? If so you will be denied for sure. If the DUI is the only charge you've ever received, much better chance.
  • 'For information purpose only' means you fill it out, pay the $200 and get nothing 'official'. Kinda just to say, "hey look I'm serious about coming here, I'm not a bad guy". But I have no personal cases I can reference to say that will work.
  • You can call them, no names though, but they will tell you it's upto the agent at the window. Typically at the booth, they wont run you in a criminal database, that being said, they have the ability to. If they ask "have you ever been arrested" they are simply asking to see if you will lie about it.

Either way it's a gamble. Wish you the best of luck fam, hope you get to come in.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. My uncle got a felony  he still  travel

Just call up border police and ask.

Last edited:
Hi! So from personal experience even if you have even one dui, you won't be able to get into Canada, no matter how nice or honest you are at the border and that's regardless if you fly or drive. The only way they will let you through is if you get the TRP, it's like a temporary permit, got some info from a blog I read, kinda explains how to get one and stuff www.jtmimmigration.com/can-go-canada-dwi/

Back
Top Bottom