Godzilla Lives On! 2018 Nissan GTR Confirmed!

New Nissan GT-R confirmed for 2018

Contrary to previous rumors, the Nissan GT-R will not be a one-and-done affair: a second-generation model is in the works and will launch in 2018.

While a redesigned GT-R has long been part of Nissan’s plans, the all-new version of Godzilla was originally slated to arrive in 2015, the automaker told Inside Line. The delay was partially due to the absence of GT-R chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno, who temporarily left Nissan due to health issues but has since rejoined the company.

In order to keep the current GT-R (which first launched in late 2008) fresh until the new model arrives in 2018, Nissan will make a number of changes to the car’s styling and engine in 2013. While Nissan isn’t yet ready to talk in detail about the updates, more power and reworked front and rear fascias are a safe bet.

Sources close to Nissan also report that the automaker is taking quite the interest in the hybridized Acura NSX, suggesting that the GT-R might become a hybrid as well at some point in the future.

:x :smh: @ considering at making it a hybrid though.

Last edited:
Yup, true with the hybrid supercars, seems like every company is making one. BMW i8, Porsche 918, NSX, Audi E-Tron, etc...

Last edited:
And this certainly doesn't help.
White House signs off on 2017-2025 fuel regs

The White House has finalized fuel economy regulations that will run through the 2017-2025 model years. The new rules will nearly double vehicle efficiency over the next 13 years, running the required corporate average to 54.5mpg by the end of the term.

Several months in the making, the Obama administration has officially signed off on the final CAFE regulations that will mandate average vehicle fuel economy between the 2017 and 2025 model years. The plans builds on standards already put in place for the 2012-2016 model years.

The new rules are expected to cost the world’s automakers about $157 billion, with the end consumer likely to see a $3,000 per vehicle price hike. The White House predicts that spending will be offset by a savings of $1.7 trillion at the pump, but even those savings will have a downside.

According to a report released by the Congressional Budget Office earlier this year, the new fuel economy standards will cost the nation $57 billion in tax revenue through the 2025 model year. As a result, the government could increase its 18.4 cent per gallon gas tax to offset the losses associated with more fuel efficient vehicles. The government hasn’t increased the gas tax since 1993.

However, it remains possible that the 54.5mpg mandate could be altered at some point in the future. Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney opposes the standard and could opt to change it if elected to the White House.

“The best approach is to try and build vehicles that people want, rather than having the government telling the companies what they must make,” he told The Detroit News.

“I would work with the manufacturers to find ways to encourage fuel economy on the part of the consumer. But trying to have the manufacturer push the product on the consumer — that the consumer doesn’t want — is not the right approach.”

The White House has finalized fuel economy regulations that will run through the 2017-2025 model years. The new rules will nearly double vehicle efficiency over the next 13 years, running the required corporate average to 54.5mpg by the end of the term.

Several months in the making, the Obama administration has officially signed off on the final CAFE regulations that will mandate average vehicle fuel economy between the 2017 and 2025 model years. The plans builds on standards already put in place for the 2012-2016 model years.

The new rules are expected to cost the world’s automakers about $157 billion, with the end consumer likely to see a $3,000 per vehicle price hike. The White House predicts that spending will be offset by a savings of $1.7 trillion at the pump, but even those savings will have a downside.

According to a report released by the Congressional Budget Office earlier this year, the new fuel economy standards will cost the nation $57 billion in tax revenue through the 2025 model year. As a result, the government could increase its 18.4 cent per gallon gas tax to offset the losses associated with more fuel efficient vehicles. The government hasn’t increased the gas tax since 1993.

However, it remains possible that the 54.5mpg mandate could be altered at some point in the future. Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney opposes the standard and could opt to change it if elected to the White House.

“The best approach is to try and build vehicles that people want, rather than having the government telling the companies what they must make,” he told The Detroit News.

“I would work with the manufacturers to find ways to encourage fuel economy on the part of the consumer. But trying to have the manufacturer push the product on the consumer — that the consumer doesn’t want — is not the right approach.”

:x

Government trying to get classics of the streets and "green" cars into production. I don't like this

the only way i will buy a hybrid is if it can be controller.

meaning that i can only setup the car to use the electric motor for takeoff. but that means they must put in an electric motor that is more powerful than the gas engine which seems unlikely which is why ill prolly never buy one

If mitt wins consider da this legislation toilet paper.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Quote:

That is why you see brands like Aston Martin have to make that CYGNET because of these mandatory mpg regulations it makes their brand compliant. There are stories now of Mitsu bringing out a hybrid EVO for the next gen. :x :smh:

nthat.gif

:pimp: glad they're taking the steps to curb oil use. Pretty much one of the only good legislation measures Obama has passed.

Obamacare >>>>> this piece of crap over government reach...

:pimp: glad they're taking the steps to curb oil use. Pretty much one of the only good legislation measures Obama has passed.

Obamacare >>>>> this piece of crap over government reach...

i agree although i do favor more regulations that push for higher mpg. this high gas issue has been going on for a while so car companies need to start engineering more fuel efficient cars. overall this country has been terrible in enforcing stricter environmental guidelines and lord knows things need to change for the better

as for the car, GTR sales speak for itself over the past few years. Its one of the worst selling cars it has in the US. Meanwhile people are hording honda accords, CRVs, sonatas...ninja u kno where im goin with this. the baisc *** mid/full size sedans and small suvs damn near run the streets of NYC. fuel efficiency far outsells huge horsepower especially in this nyc gas climate.

i agree although i do favor more regulations that push for higher mpg. this high gas issue has been going on for a while so car companies need to start engineering more fuel efficient cars. overall this country has been terrible in enforcing stricter environmental guidelines and lord knows things need to change for the better

as for the car, GTR sales speak for itself over the past few years. Its one of the worst selling cars it has in the US. Meanwhile people are hording honda accords, CRVs, sonatas...ninja u kno where im goin with this. the baisc *** mid/full size sedans and small suvs damn near run the streets of NYC. fuel efficiency far outsells huge horsepower especially in this nyc gas climate.

Really isn't even a fair comparison. The GTR retails at $100k now and sometimes they are even marked up because it is produced in small numbers. You can't really compare that to the likes of Accord, CRVs, SOnatas, etc... It has nothing to do with MPG for those to sell over the GTR, no one is shopping one for the other.

And car companies have been producing more fuel efficient vehicles, look at BMW starting it up with turbo'd I4s, Benz and Audi are soon to follow along with other domestic luxury brands. Everything is eco this, EV that... and I really have nothing against it at all, I do not hate Prius, Volt, etc... but shoving ti down peoples throat and forcing you to buy a certain vehicle is a totally different story. There are now plenty of fuel efficient options, no need to mandate what every car on the road can do or are capable of.

Really isn't even a fair comparison. The GTR retails at $100k now and sometimes they are even marked up because it is produced in small numbers. You can't really compare that to the likes of Accord, CRVs, SOnatas, etc... It has nothing to do with MPG for those to sell over the GTR, no one is shopping one for the other.
And car companies have been producing more fuel efficient vehicles, look at BMW starting it up with turbo'd I4s, Benz and Audi are soon to follow along with other domestic luxury brands. Everything is eco this, EV that... and I really have nothing against it at all, I do not hate Prius, Volt, etc... but shoving ti down peoples throat and forcing you to buy a certain vehicle is a totally different story. There are now plenty of fuel efficient options, no need to mandate what every car on the road can do or are capable of.

Benz already sells i4 turbos in the C.
Hybrid tech/electric will eventually produce faster more.powerful cars then petrol

If im buying a supercar fuel efficiency is last thing im worrying about. Can't compare a Nissan G-TR to lets say Nissan Altiama.

I'll be copping me G-TR in near near future. Hopefully the new Gens too.

Benz already sells i4 turbos in the C.
Hybrid tech/electric will eventually produce faster more.powerful cars then petrol

But will it match the price? I mean the NSX and i8 is slated to be $100k+ and the Porsche 918 is likely going to be in the $200k-$300k.

The Tesla S is pure EV but even that can easily reach $100k for the one with a 300mile range (which isn't even accurate, testers are getting around 250 or less miles per charge). EV engines does provide instant torgue but even the Fisker with all it's torque still goes 0-60 in 7 seconds (?).

Prius is already $20k+ and it is slower than gas cars that cost a lot less. The Volt is already $39k starting, is that right? http://www.chevrolet.com/2012-volt-electric-car/features-specs/trims.html

At the end, I really have no opposition in car makers producing vehicles like these and if we are headed there, then that is fine as long as the buyers/drivers aren't forced to choose which cars they/we can buy/drive. To those who can afford a gas guzzling GTR, they should be able to buy their car w/o hassle. I mean the government already fines you with a gas guzzler tax on these vehicles too.

On a side note, isn't the US already the strictest when it comes to passing car emissions that prevents us from enjoying other cars here? Plus with fuel cost, in comparison to Europe, aren't we paying a lot less per gallon?

Last edited:
Why do they even push these restrictions onto super cars?? Only the minority of the minority is even gonna have one, and of one does have a super car, gas milage is the least of their concerns.

Why do they even push these restrictions onto super cars?? Only the minority of the minority is even gonna have one, and of one does have a super car, gas milage is the least of their concerns.
nanny state b.

if a super car has "terrible MPG" it drags down da average of a brand's fleet....

i REALLY hope this gets repealed...

Back
Top Bottom