Goin to CHICAGO for St Pattys day weekend- help me out!

Im gonna come into town Thursday afternoon of St Pattys day weekend.  I figured with 2 days beforehand, theres a lot to tackle, considering Saturday is gonna be a wash. 

What do you recommend doing to see "typical" Chicago, and what do you recommend for St Pattys day? 

Good restaurants, clothes shops, music shops, clubs/bars, comedy clubs are all welcome..  Is it worth the time to see the MJ statue? 

What spots would you recommend for a nice "rooftop" dinner at night to get a view of the city?  Is the planetarium worth it?

I'll be staying at the Mag. Mile

what ^ he said

RIP
tired.gif

pimp.gif
did this last year for my boys bachelor party, dont go to the pink monkey got kicked out. it was the nicest Ive ever seen bouncers throw people out
laugh.gif
but they do get down in the champagne room. There wasnt as many females as I was expecting but it was straight. Wrigleyville has a lot of bars, we were mainly in wicker park from what i remember but we were with friends that live in the chi so we went to a lot of small bars too.

Restaurants:
-Tedino's for Chicago Style stuffed or Deep Dish
-Piece (microbrewery x very good thin crust pizza)
-Patio Beef
-DMK Burger Bar (never been but my uncle installed the plumbing and him and my cousin swear by it)
-Cafe Ba Ba Reeba (Spanish tapas, and possibly the best restaurant I've ever been to)
-Lucky's Sandwich Co. (was on Man V. Food and they make banging sandwiches)
-Harold's

Clothes/Shoes:
-Leaders 1354
-St. Alfreds
-Belmont Army Surplus
-mad spots on Michigan Ave.

Bars (I'm under 21 so whenever I'm in town I only go to spots where either bartenders or bouncers are cool with my cousin):
-Rebel (right next to Lucky's Sandwich and they'll let you grab a sandwich next door and bring it into the bar)
I've been to several others but honestly I'm always drunk by the time I get to them and I don't remember the names

If it weren't so cold I'd recommend walking through Millenium Park, strolling down Lake Shore, etc.

Oh, come on... It's not THAT bad here! Especially, where he's going to be more than likely. Areas like Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, South/West Loop, Wrigleyville, the Loop, etc. are ALL nice areas that you don't need a gun in.

Cafe' BaBaReeba is awesome as hell, like Destination Kicks mentioned. Other restaurants I would suggest are:
Pizza - Gino's East, Giordano's, Lou Malnati's, Piece (not traditional Chicago pizza at all but good thin crust and beer)
Asian - Sunda, Japonais, Union, Sushi Samba Rio are all nice spots
Latin - Carnivale, BaBareeba
Steak - Fogo De chao, Brazzaz, Texas De Brazil, Zed451
Burgers - DMK Burger Bar, RJ Grunts, J. Wellington's,
Desserts/Drinks - Hot Chocolate in Wicker. Spot is awesome to end a date, low key, dark, awesome desserts/wine... you could do dinner there too but it isn't the big rooftop dinner spot, its small
Bars - Any spots in Wicker and Lincoln Park, good areas to bar hop on some casual $%$* ... Crocodile is my spot in Wicker... As far as nicer places, Paris Club, Public house, Hub51, Roof, Vertigo Sky Lounge
Sports Bars - The Scout, State (100+ flatscreens), Fifty50,
Clubs - I don't really club too much but Underground is always packed and hard to get into
Activities - Lucky Strike (bowling/pool), 10pin (bowling), G-Cue (pool)

For a rooftop dinner with a view you may want to go to the signature room in the John Hancock building. It's on the 95th floor with full windows all around, get a seat by the window for the best vibe obviously. Expect a wait just to get on the elevator, then up top you can pay your way to the front if you want.

676 a steakhouse that is also up pretty high on Michigan Ave. Nice view

The MJ statue isn't worth it to me. There's nothing else over there at all and that neighborhood's a little rougher than downtown

Shopping - RSVP Gallery, LDRS, St. Alfred's, also check out the shops on Michigan and over on rush and oak too (Barney's, Moncler, Prada, Scoop, etc.)

Havent been to the planetarium in YEARS so I don't know, but that area is nice (Museum Campus) walks along the lake behind the Aquarium and stuff are nice but it's cold here so...
Millenium Park is nice, the riverwalk, um... If I think of more, I'll post it

Be safe and have fun!

Originally Posted by 23soles

Oh, come on... It's not THAT bad here! Especially, where he's going to be more than likely. Areas like Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, South/West Loop, Wrigleyville, the Loop, etc. are ALL nice areas that you don't need a gun in.

Cafe' BaBaReeba is awesome as hell, like Destination Kicks mentioned. Other restaurants I would suggest are:
Pizza - Gino's East, Giordano's, Lou Malnati's, Piece (not traditional Chicago pizza at all but good thin crust and beer)
Asian - Sunda, Japonais, Union, Sushi Samba Rio are all nice spots
Latin - Carnivale, BaBareeba
Steak - Fogo De chao, Brazzaz, Texas De Brazil, Zed451
Burgers - DMK Burger Bar, RJ Grunts, J. Wellington's,
Desserts/Drinks - Hot Chocolate in Wicker. Spot is awesome to end a date, low key, dark, awesome desserts/wine... you could do dinner there too but it isn't the big rooftop dinner spot, its small
Bars - Any spots in Wicker and Lincoln Park, good areas to bar hop on some casual $%$* ... Crocodile is my spot in Wicker... As far as nicer places, Paris Club, Public house, Hub51, Roof, Vertigo Sky Lounge
Sports Bars - The Scout, State (100+ flatscreens), Fifty50,
Clubs - I don't really club too much but Underground is always packed and hard to get into
Activities - Lucky Strike (bowling/pool), 10pin (bowling), G-Cue (pool)

For a rooftop dinner with a view you may want to go to the signature room in the John Hancock building. It's on the 95th floor with full windows all around, get a seat by the window for the best vibe obviously. Expect a wait just to get on the elevator, then up top you can pay your way to the front if you want.

676 a steakhouse that is also up pretty high on Michigan Ave. Nice view

The MJ statue isn't worth it to me. There's nothing else over there at all and that neighborhood's a little rougher than downtown

Shopping - RSVP Gallery, LDRS, St. Alfred's, also check out the shops on Michigan and over on rush and oak too (Barney's, Moncler, Prada, Scoop, etc.)

Havent been to the planetarium in YEARS so I don't know, but that area is nice (Museum Campus) walks along the lake behind the Aquarium and stuff are nice but it's cold here so...
Millenium Park is nice, the riverwalk, um... If I think of more, I'll post it

Be safe and have fun!

dont forget if getting pizza get some unos... hell get some sent home

you guys are so scared of chicago it's pathetic.  i've never had a problem, even on the west side. 

Whoa, can't believe I forgot Uno's... Good call LDJ

hell i need 2 get back to the chi... and mj's its meh i guess its a personal thing not bad but not what i thought it would be.... oh while at it havent been in awhile whats a good place to get a dog.. i been spoiled recently eating a greasy varsity dog... i know mighty caseys is gone but whats a good hotdog spot?

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

you guys are so scared of chicago it's pathetic.  i've never had a problem, even on the west side. 

its what i like to call my midwest atl i mean folks do act like its really bad... like its east st louis, or south of 7 mile detroit.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Whoa, can't believe I forgot Uno's... Good call LDJ

hell i need 2 get back to the chi... and mj's its meh i guess its a personal thing not bad but not what i thought it would be.... oh while at it havent been in awhile whats a good place to get a dog.. i been spoiled recently eating a greasy varsity dog... i know mighty caseys is gone but whats a good hotdog spot?
I'm not really too much of a hotdog person, so I can't really say. There's always Superdawg for something traditional but I had this at Big Star in Wicker...Awesome.
2010_10_4_sonoran.jpg

Food

Check out Al's Italian Beef, Ginos East, Portillos, Harolds Chicken, Garrets popcorn.

Shoes/clothes
Juggrnaut, LDRS, Succez, St. Alfreds, Michigan Ave.

Bars
Go to Rush street. Can be expensive, but some of the best bars.

If your looking for a shoe spot, PM me. There's a consignment shop that just opened up that's pretty dope. I'll take you there.

Also, try not to ride the Red Line at night alone lol.

Go to the Art Institute. Seriously. It's one of the best art museums in the world. I make it a point to go there every time I visit.

Why the HELL are people so scared of Chicago?? I'm born and raised here 31 years old, and i've never felt like i needed a gun. Wow man.

When i visit family in michigan is a scarier than any part in Chicago.

And PS, FCK St. Alfreds. that place is worthless. My closet is bigger than the entire store.

forgot st. pats day...go in May for the Polish Constitution Day Parade...most Polacks outside of Poland
pimp.gif

jk ... damn I miss Chicago 
frown.gif
The South Side Irish Parade was fun ran right near my Moms house.

Originally Posted by aphexacid

Why the HELL are people so scared of Chicago?? I'm born and raised here 31 years old, and i've never felt like i needed a gun. Wow man.

When i visit family in michigan is a scarier than any part in Chicago.

And PS, FCK St. Alfreds. that place is worthless. My closet is bigger than the entire store.
Yeah, the first couple years St. Alfreds was open I loved going in and there was always stuff to cop and the employees always sparked conversations. But the last few times I went in I didn't see anything nice and the service was meh.

Back
Top Bottom