Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

Damn it USC.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by Newbs24

I am stunned at where this program is. EVERY fan would take those LLLLLyod Carr teams over RR in a heartbeat, including myself. Thats when you know something bad has happened. I just think it was a horrible fit and it is really showing itself in year 3. Bill Martin crapped the bed in that hiring process. Had Ferentz and Schiano as the ONLY two choices. No Harbaugh who is making Stanford a legit team. No Brady Hoke who is doing things with SDSU who was close to beat Mizzou. Then RRs agent calls him and they hired him. Wasn't even on their radar. Just a cluster &^%$. Oh well. I got fooled and thought this would be a good team this year.

answer Honestly , What coach could have come in and gotten any Ws out of that Blue Defense?

He's saying they should of hired him when they let Carr go. I always thought Ferentz was overrated. He has a really good staff around him though in Norm Parker and Ken O'Keefe. 
1/3 of being a great coach is hiring and empowering  great assistant coaches 

Ron English had a decent Defense before he left. They hired Greg Robinson and he doesn't recruit. That is a reason why the defense is in shambles. Nobody is recruiting anybody for that side of the ball. When you tie up 2/3 of the roster and coaches for offense you are asking to be a joke in 2/3 of the game. Just like we are.
Ferentz was Martins first and second choice. He basically put all his eggs in that basket. Ferentz told them NO very fast and did not even think of coming to Michigan.  Then Martin went, got a commitment from Schiano, Schiano backed, then at the 11th hour said yes again. They had already moved on.

I think if they had stuck to Schiano he could have put a better D on the field than we have right now. He wouldn't have tried to make Shafer and Robinson run a Defense that was foreign to them. Shafers D was not good either way but then they put in the 3-3-5 against Purdue and got rolled.

***Look at what Shafer is doing at Cuse. Turning that D into something solid. Don't try to tell me they have more talent than Michigan***

That is when RR put everything for the D in Gibsons hands. Tony Gibson is our Cornerbacks coach, Special Teams Coach and Asst Head Coach.  That is the main reason the D and ST is in shambles. RR has Gibson running these units and is not close to being qualified. Decent recruiter but that is it. 

RR wants to cry about factions being around Schemy Hall treating him bad. 
frown.gif
, but he needs to look in the mirror and see that his faction (RR, Gibby, Magee, Smith and Frey) are just as much to blame as anyone else. The only guy holding his weight is Frey(OL coach) IMO. I think the playcalling has been anything but spectacular. DRob is showing that he can read a D and run. He can throw it a little but the OL has been pretty damn good all year. 

When you look at the defense, it should try to hide the youth on our team. The MOST youth is in the secondary. So what do we do....put 5 DBs in the game.  Sounds about right. 

The unit with the most talent/experience is LB and while they are playing pretty bad, I would rather have them trying to tackle than 170lbs of Talbott, Christian and Avery. 

I could go on and on about this roster and what could help, but I am not a coach and never have been. Its all guessing on my part. But it sounds more logical than what the guys getting paided 1000's of $$$$ to do so are doing. Hell, pay me $50k a year, I can make a D look like swiss cheese and force 1 turnover in 4 games. Sounds pretty easy actually. 

Originally Posted by Newbs24

I am stunned at where this program is. EVERY fan would take those LLLLLyod Carr teams over RR in a heartbeat, including myself. Thats when you know something bad has happened. I just think it was a horrible fit and it is really showing itself in year 3. Bill Martin crapped the bed in that hiring process. Had Ferentz and Schiano as the ONLY two choices. No Harbaugh who is making Stanford a legit team. No Brady Hoke who is doing things with SDSU who was close to beat Mizzou. Then RRs agent calls him and they hired him. Wasn't even on their radar. Just a cluster &^%$. Oh well. I got fooled and thought this would be a good team this year.

answer Honestly , What coach could have come in and gotten any Ws out of that Blue Defense?

He's saying they should of hired him when they let Carr go. I always thought Ferentz was overrated. He has a really good staff around him though in Norm Parker and Ken O'Keefe. 
1/3 of being a great coach is hiring and empowering  great assistant coaches 

Ron English had a decent Defense before he left. They hired Greg Robinson and he doesn't recruit. That is a reason why the defense is in shambles. Nobody is recruiting anybody for that side of the ball. When you tie up 2/3 of the roster and coaches for offense you are asking to be a joke in 2/3 of the game. Just like we are.
Ferentz was Martins first and second choice. He basically put all his eggs in that basket. Ferentz told them NO very fast and did not even think of coming to Michigan.  Then Martin went, got a commitment from Schiano, Schiano backed, then at the 11th hour said yes again. They had already moved on.

I think if they had stuck to Schiano he could have put a better D on the field than we have right now. He wouldn't have tried to make Shafer and Robinson run a Defense that was foreign to them. Shafers D was not good either way but then they put in the 3-3-5 against Purdue and got rolled.

***Look at what Shafer is doing at Cuse. Turning that D into something solid. Don't try to tell me they have more talent than Michigan***

That is when RR put everything for the D in Gibsons hands. Tony Gibson is our Cornerbacks coach, Special Teams Coach and Asst Head Coach.  That is the main reason the D and ST is in shambles. RR has Gibson running these units and is not close to being qualified. Decent recruiter but that is it. 

RR wants to cry about factions being around Schemy Hall treating him bad. 
frown.gif
, but he needs to look in the mirror and see that his faction (RR, Gibby, Magee, Smith and Frey) are just as much to blame as anyone else. The only guy holding his weight is Frey(OL coach) IMO. I think the playcalling has been anything but spectacular. DRob is showing that he can read a D and run. He can throw it a little but the OL has been pretty damn good all year. 

When you look at the defense, it should try to hide the youth on our team. The MOST youth is in the secondary. So what do we do....put 5 DBs in the game.  Sounds about right. 

The unit with the most talent/experience is LB and while they are playing pretty bad, I would rather have them trying to tackle than 170lbs of Talbott, Christian and Avery. 

I could go on and on about this roster and what could help, but I am not a coach and never have been. Its all guessing on my part. But it sounds more logical than what the guys getting paided 1000's of $$$$ to do so are doing. Hell, pay me $50k a year, I can make a D look like swiss cheese and force 1 turnover in 4 games. Sounds pretty easy actually. 

Originally Posted by swizzc

Originally Posted by bijald0331

2/3rd's recruiting?

1/3 hiring a great staff, 1/3 recruiting, 1/3 scheme/motivation

To me:  1/3rd staff, 1/2 recruiting, and 1/6th scheme/motivation (scheme truly works only when one gets the players).
that's kind of a chicken / egg argument... they both depend on each other to succeed, which is why i rated them equally... to take the other side of the argument, all the talent in the world can't win without a great scheme and motivation (see: USC this year)
You're right but I'm always putting recruiting over scheme/motivation, especially on the elite level. Alabama wasn't anything 5 years ago. 

2/3rd's recruiting?

1/3 hiring a great staff, 1/3 recruiting, 1/3 scheme/motivation

To me:  1/3rd staff, 1/2 recruiting, and 1/6th scheme/motivation (scheme truly works only when one gets the players).
that's kind of a chicken / egg argument... they both depend on each other to succeed, which is why i rated them equally... to take the other side of the argument, all the talent in the world can't win without a great scheme and motivation (see: USC this year)
You're right but I'm always putting recruiting over scheme/motivation, especially on the elite level. Alabama wasn't anything 5 years ago. 

laugh.gif
50k for 1 turnover

2 things u can't hide on defense are DBs and DTs. Michigan has neither. And that's a problem. No scheme could do so.

laugh.gif
50k for 1 turnover

2 things u can't hide on defense are DBs and DTs. Michigan has neither. And that's a problem. No scheme could do so.

Ya im saying his inabilities are somewhat masked with his staff - which is good/smart on his part.

Ya im saying his inabilities are somewhat masked with his staff - which is good/smart on his part.

laugh.gif
50k for 1 turnover

you can with a great pass rush

laugh.gif
50k for 1 turnover

you can with a great pass rush

Baylor hasn't beaten one good team yet... Kansas State is a decent win but Texas SUCKS. It wouldn't surprise me whatsoever if they lost their last four.

Baylor hasn't beaten one good team yet... Kansas State is a decent win but Texas SUCKS. It wouldn't surprise me whatsoever if they lost their last four.

Martin and VanBergen would be stout enough as DTs in a 4-3 scheme. Those 2 with Banks, Sagesse, Patterson, Campbell (who the coaches will not play), Black and possibly Roh is more than enough bodies to attempt to plug the middle. They just haven't even tried it.

Losing Woolfolk in the summer killed our secondary then having Turner and Vlad bounce was no help either. Then again all the attrition and lack of bodies in the secondary are due to RR. He has had 3 classes to try and do this and he hasn't. JT, Vlad, Smith, Witty, Dorsey, Cissoko, Warren,Chambers. All could be here but are not. That is 8 guys in 4 years. Add to it Mike Williams and Troy Woolfolk are done for the year. Who would look at this team and think that secondary would be a strong point, thus putting 5 out there at a time?

Back
Top Bottom