Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

This is gettin' messy
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

And this my friends is why journalism (online, broadcast and print) in America is at an all time low. People worried about the bottom line and Internet hits rather than content and the truth. ESPN, which never had integrity, went as far as to make up sources to gain viewers and internet hits. People need to be fired.

If you really think Joe Schad risked his career and reputation to gain a few internet hits then you really have no clue. He might be wrong, but he isnt just making stuff up for internet hits.

And this my friends is why journalism (online, broadcast and print) in America is at an all time low. People worried about the bottom line and Internet hits rather than content and the truth. ESPN, which never had integrity, went as far as to make up sources to gain viewers and internet hits. People need to be fired.

If you really think Joe Schad risked his career and reputation to gain a few internet hits then you really have no clue. He might be wrong, but he isnt just making stuff up for internet hits.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

I don't care who he is. If you are writing stuff that will defame someone's character and possibly have HUGE implications on not only his career but the institution he attends, you had better be sure that you have your facts.

I work in online journalism and I see this too much.

I don't care who he is. If you are writing stuff that will defame someone's character and possibly have HUGE implications on not only his career but the institution he attends, you had better be sure that you have your facts.

I work in online journalism and I see this too much.

I agree with you completely. Im saying he isnt just out making stuff up to make stuff up. Him and his sources might be wrong, but you dont work to get to the pentacle of your career just to make up some stuff to get internet hits. He isnt going to do that.

I agree with you completely. Im saying he isnt just out making stuff up to make stuff up. Him and his sources might be wrong, but you dont work to get to the pentacle of your career just to make up some stuff to get internet hits. He isnt going to do that.

this is not the 1st or 2nd Time Joe Schad has done some reporting without gathering his facts together.

ESPN just isnt holding its people to an impeccable standard across the board. We've seen this from Many ESPN writers/reporters

this is not the 1st or 2nd Time Joe Schad has done some reporting without gathering his facts together.

ESPN just isnt holding its people to an impeccable standard across the board. We've seen this from Many ESPN writers/reporters

I just want to know who exactly is behind the supposed quote from Newton that says he turned down MSU because the $ at Auburn was better....

c'mon now
30t6p3b.gif

I really feel bad for the kid...

Kellen Moore, 2010 Heisman Winner*

I just want to know who exactly is behind the supposed quote from Newton that says he turned down MSU because the $ at Auburn was better....

c'mon now
30t6p3b.gif

I really feel bad for the kid...

Kellen Moore, 2010 Heisman Winner*

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I didnt know that, I dont follow his work, but I still dont think he is making it up to make it up.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I didnt know that, I dont follow his work, but I still dont think he is making it up to make it up.

Montana passed on their WAC invite. Seattle U. will join as a non-football school instead.

They also lost their bid with the New Mexico Bowl. They had an out to drop the conference if the makeup changed.

Yeah, that conference needs to go I-AA. Promote the CAA to I-A.

Montana passed on their WAC invite. Seattle U. will join as a non-football school instead.

They also lost their bid with the New Mexico Bowl. They had an out to drop the conference if the makeup changed.

Yeah, that conference needs to go I-AA. Promote the CAA to I-A.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina said five people -- including former UNC player and current New York Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks -- provided "impermissible gifts of cash and jewelry and impermissible assistance" with travel and entertainment expenses. Nicks, who left Chapel Hill for the NFL after his junior season in 2008, provided $3,300 in benefits, while former UNC players Omar Brown ($1,865) and Mahlon Carey ($140) also were listed.

The news release also mentions San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis ($20) and "a person from Miami whose full name is not known ($323)."

[h4]ACC blog[/h4]
dinich_heather_m.jpg
ESPN.com's Heather Dinich writes about all things ACC in her conference blog.

• Blog network:
College Football Nation

The school identified all five people in reinstatement requests sent to the NCAA as part of the process to clear players in the probe.

Brown previously was linked to the investigation when the NCAA suspended cornerback Kendric Burney for six games and safety Deunta Williams for four games. The two players had traveled to California to visit the former UNC safety, who Williams said they had befriended a few years earlier.

The school said the amount -- totaling $5,648 between the five people -- also includes the estimated value of lodging at their homes during visits. Some of those benefits were repaid by the players or hosts before they knew they had broken NCAA rules.

The school also said that while Nicks, Carey and Brown thought they were helping friends and former Tar Heels, "there is no evidence that links them to inappropriate relationships with agents, prospective agents or runners."

Meanwhile, the university has formally broken ties with the tutor linked to the ongoing NCAA investigation of its football program.

In a letter dated Nov. 5 and released Thursday, athletic director **** Baddour informed Jennifer Wiley of Chapel Hill that the university had learned she provided "impermissible extra benefits" to players, including about $2,000 in travel expenses this year. It also states she "provided impermissible academic assistance" to some student-athletes in 2009 and 2010.

"As a result of your actions, the eligibility status of several of our student-athletes has been adversely affected," it states.

The letter insisted she have no contact with any student-athlete for five years. It bars her from the Kenan Football Center and other campus athletic facilities in any role outside that of as a member of the general public during that time.

Wiley didn't respond to an e-mail from The Associated Press seeking comment Thursday, but Raleigh attorney Joe Cheshire issued a statement on her behalf saying she "acknowledges her role" in the investigation. Cheshire said Wiley allowed a player to use a credit card for a transaction, then was "immediately repaid" for that amount and "never knew this type of transaction was impermissible."

"She gave several years of her life trying to uplift, educate and enhance the lives of student-athletes that she worked with and befriended," Cheshire said. "All of these young men were of the highest caliber. She did not intend for her work to 'provide impermissible academic assistance' and to the extent it did, she is deeply saddened, particularly as it has affected the young men she cared so much about."

The NCAA began looking into agent-related benefits in the program over the summer before expanding the investigation to include possible academic violations involving Wiley, who also had worked as a tutor for coach Butch Davis' teenage son.

Thirteen players sat out the opener against LSU due to the investigation, with six players sitting out the entire season. Three of those were either dismissed from the team or declared "permanently ineligible" by the NCAA.

Five players have returned to game action, while a sixth -- tailback Ryan Houston -- was cleared to return after missing the first five games and had planned to redshirt. But Davis said this week Houston might return for the final three regular-season games after the Tar Heels lost leading rusher Johnny White to a broken collarbone and Shaun Draughn sprained an ankle.

Defensive lineman Michael McAdoo is the only player from the LSU group whose status is still in question. He hasn't played this season. Fullback Devon Ramsay played four games before the school decided to hold him out. He hasn't played since.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina said five people -- including former UNC player and current New York Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks -- provided "impermissible gifts of cash and jewelry and impermissible assistance" with travel and entertainment expenses. Nicks, who left Chapel Hill for the NFL after his junior season in 2008, provided $3,300 in benefits, while former UNC players Omar Brown ($1,865) and Mahlon Carey ($140) also were listed.

The news release also mentions San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis ($20) and "a person from Miami whose full name is not known ($323)."

[h4]ACC blog[/h4]
dinich_heather_m.jpg
ESPN.com's Heather Dinich writes about all things ACC in her conference blog.

• Blog network:
College Football Nation

The school identified all five people in reinstatement requests sent to the NCAA as part of the process to clear players in the probe.

Brown previously was linked to the investigation when the NCAA suspended cornerback Kendric Burney for six games and safety Deunta Williams for four games. The two players had traveled to California to visit the former UNC safety, who Williams said they had befriended a few years earlier.

The school said the amount -- totaling $5,648 between the five people -- also includes the estimated value of lodging at their homes during visits. Some of those benefits were repaid by the players or hosts before they knew they had broken NCAA rules.

The school also said that while Nicks, Carey and Brown thought they were helping friends and former Tar Heels, "there is no evidence that links them to inappropriate relationships with agents, prospective agents or runners."

Meanwhile, the university has formally broken ties with the tutor linked to the ongoing NCAA investigation of its football program.

In a letter dated Nov. 5 and released Thursday, athletic director **** Baddour informed Jennifer Wiley of Chapel Hill that the university had learned she provided "impermissible extra benefits" to players, including about $2,000 in travel expenses this year. It also states she "provided impermissible academic assistance" to some student-athletes in 2009 and 2010.

"As a result of your actions, the eligibility status of several of our student-athletes has been adversely affected," it states.

The letter insisted she have no contact with any student-athlete for five years. It bars her from the Kenan Football Center and other campus athletic facilities in any role outside that of as a member of the general public during that time.

Wiley didn't respond to an e-mail from The Associated Press seeking comment Thursday, but Raleigh attorney Joe Cheshire issued a statement on her behalf saying she "acknowledges her role" in the investigation. Cheshire said Wiley allowed a player to use a credit card for a transaction, then was "immediately repaid" for that amount and "never knew this type of transaction was impermissible."

"She gave several years of her life trying to uplift, educate and enhance the lives of student-athletes that she worked with and befriended," Cheshire said. "All of these young men were of the highest caliber. She did not intend for her work to 'provide impermissible academic assistance' and to the extent it did, she is deeply saddened, particularly as it has affected the young men she cared so much about."

The NCAA began looking into agent-related benefits in the program over the summer before expanding the investigation to include possible academic violations involving Wiley, who also had worked as a tutor for coach Butch Davis' teenage son.

Thirteen players sat out the opener against LSU due to the investigation, with six players sitting out the entire season. Three of those were either dismissed from the team or declared "permanently ineligible" by the NCAA.

Five players have returned to game action, while a sixth -- tailback Ryan Houston -- was cleared to return after missing the first five games and had planned to redshirt. But Davis said this week Houston might return for the final three regular-season games after the Tar Heels lost leading rusher Johnny White to a broken collarbone and Shaun Draughn sprained an ankle.

Defensive lineman Michael McAdoo is the only player from the LSU group whose status is still in question. He hasn't played this season. Fullback Devon Ramsay played four games before the school decided to hold him out. He hasn't played since.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Back
Top Bottom