Government Shutdown 2013-2014 My Civil Servant Brethern...what you think

I know there are other government workers on NT. So with the government shut down looming, wanted to get some opinions on it. Do you think it will happen? What are your plans for the furlough?

Some background info

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/29/us-government-shutdown-house-delay-obamacare

My rudimentary understanding (feel free to correct me):

Republican's don't want to fund obama care...they will agree to a government funding bill if they can delay healthcare reform for a year....democrats don't want that.

Bs politics: Dem's low-key would be happy if the gov't shuts down since really it looks bad on the Republican's because they wouldn't agree to terms...and they are pro gov't idealistically (generalization).

I work at NASA personally. I have no plans for the furlough other then being on NT...A LOT....and since i entered no fap october....a wholllle lot of GTAV and Kindgom Hearts...and PES.

I work for the SSA. I still have to go in to work if the furloughs occur because I'm an essential employee. This happens every year though so I dont know

Tea Party is something else, man :smh:

I don't think the shutdown will last more than a few days. Such a ridiculous pissing contest. :smh:

I am trying to find the report now but there was an article saying to shut down the Government and restart it will cost $1.5 Billion or something like that. And if they pass the funding and its retro-active....you are basically taking a $1.5 Billion loss....its asinine.

People here seem to think something gets passed last minute....but only 2 weeks of funding...then mid October they have to go back at it and decided whether they will lift the debt ceiling or not and they think that will cause the shut down.

Last edited:
so democrats are willing to shut da government down because they aren't willing to delay obamacare for a year? for a program that admittedly isn't

even ready? and tons of special interests groups already got waivers for? oh....

so democrats are willing to shut da government down because they aren't willing to delay obamacare for a year? for a program that admittedly isn't

You have NO CLUE what you are talking about. The government will be shut down because John Boehner is a slave to the tea party.

[COLOR=#red] This entire fiasco would be over if Boehner allowed an up or down vote on the clean funding bill passed by the Senate.[/COLOR]

The problem is Boehner is afraid of losing his speakership if he does not appease the small but vocal tea party caucus. There are enough votes in the house to pass the clean funding bill that passed the senate.

The reason they can not accept a delay is because it wont be a delay. The new House Republican Bill would fund the government for a few more months. When is comes back up again in a few moths they would just repeat the same demands.

The House Republicans are holding the country hostage in order to push there own agenda. Like I said this whole fiasco would be over if Boehner allowed a house vote on the clean bill. He wont do it because he is scared. You do realize the original Republican strategy was to pass a bill that would allow house members to vote to defund the Affordable Care Act but still allow the Senate to pass a fundong bill that did not need to come back to the House.

Last edited:

You have NO CLUE what you are talking about. The government will be shut down because John Boehner is a slave to the tea party.

This entire fiasco would be over if Boehner allowed an up or down vote on the clean funding bill passed by the senate

why should they vote on a clean bill when this is a PERFECT opportunity to use it as leverage?

democrats, and obama in particular doesn't negotiate with GOP members at all, and this bill was RAMMED thru in da first place, and you expect da

opposite party to just bend over and take it?
laugh.gif

have we forgotten da tea party members were VOTED IN to power by people in their constituents in 2010 as a democratic backlash? yea...

there's always 2 sides to a story...

If the Dems delayed it for the unions and big business, they can agree to this. Your politicians on both sides don't have your best interests in mind anyway.
It's impossible for them to have everyone's best interest in mind anyway, even if they did mean all good.

Too many moving parts, too many circumstances, too many 1 + 2 = 7,

The government is a mess. It's way too big and has way too many hands in the pot. Everyone's playing a game, positioning themselves and/or their party.

why should they vote on a clean bill when this is a PERFECT opportunity to use it as leverage?

democrats, and obama in particular doesn't negotiate with GOP members at all, and this bill was RAMMED thru in da first place, and you expect da

opposite party to just bend over and take it? :lol:

have we forgotten da tea party members were VOTED IN to power by people in their constituents in 2010 as a democratic backlash? yea...

Turn off the TV and quit just repeating talking points.

The Bill was passed by congress. IT IS LAW.

THIS LAW has been upheld by the Supreme Court.

The law tested through a PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CYCLE. The president was re elected by the American people running on the Affordable Health Care act.

Like I said the government is going to be shut down because the house speaker refuses to stand up to the tea party. There are plenty of Republicans in the House that would vote yes on a clean funding bill. Why negotiate with a group of irrational people.

I'm not a civil servant, but I do believe this is all BS. My thought is that the root problem is that the republicans are going to fight Obama on any and everything. Once one of the good ole boys returns to the office, we won't have these problems.

If they do shutdown, every politician should forfeit their seat. There should be emergency elections held and a new system needs to go in place. No more parties, just REPRESENTATIVES. I would go as far to say that no old politicians should be allowed back in.

I have given up my vote going forward. The majority of politicians are power hungry crooks and figureheads.

The whole situation is just sad....is there a list of gov't agencies that are being shut down?

Absolutely bull**** these clowns can't compromise man. I'm going to be HEATED if I can't go into work tomorrow and don't get paid :smh: :smh: :smh: >: Holding out for something that a majority of Americans support. Absolutely ridiculous. BEST part is while I won't get paid, regardless if the govnt shuts down for 2 days or 2 weeks these crooks in congress still get their handsome paycheck for doing literally nothing. They are an embarrassment.

Absolutely bull**** these clowns can't compromise man. I'm going to be HEATED if I can't go into work tomorrow and don't get paid :smh: :smh: :smh: >: Holding out for something that a majority of Americans support. Absolutely ridiculous. BEST part is while I won't get paid, regardless if the govnt shuts down for 2 days or 2 weeks these crooks in congress still get their handsome paycheck for doing literally nothing. They are an embarrassment.

The last time the government shut down Congress voted to pay people for the furloughed days anyway. With hat being said there is no telling what is going to happen this time.

My agency has enough money to run until next Tuesday at full staffing level.

If it shuts down I dont see it lasting for more than a week. If it lasts for any amount of time I think you will get paid in the long run.

I don't understand thus,who is Pres. Obama supposed to negotiate with? Boehner doesn't control his caucus and McConnell's not interested in getting the blame. So, who does he talk to exactly?

I don't understand thus,who is Pres. Obama supposed to negotiate with? Boehner doesn't control his caucus and McConnell's not interested in getting the blame. So, who does he talk to exactly?

THANK YOU. The President has negotiated with Boehner plenty of times in the past. Each time it falls apart when Boehner goes back to his caucus. There is no negotiating with the Tea Party members. Like I said Boehner can end this all. He wants to. His caucus (specifically the extreme right members) wont let him.

Last edited:

opposite party to just bend over and take it?
laugh.gif

Turn off the TV and quit just repeating talking points.

The Bill was passed by congress. IT IS LAW.

THIS LAW has been upheld by the Supreme Court.

The law tested through a PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CYCLE. The president was re elected by the American people running on the Affordable Health Care act.

Like I said the government is going to be shut down because the house speaker refuses to stand up to the tea party. There are plenty of Republicans in the House that would vote yes on a clean funding bill. Why negotiate with a group of irrational people.
so what? da law is garbage and was deemed constitutional because it was upheld as a TAX (which wasn't da spirit of da law)

democrats ALREADY delayed da mandate for corporations, and special interests groups

time to stop pretending its ready, and just delay it one year for everyone else.

you think democrats gonna have it bad now? wait till then gotta swallow da medicine of da debt limit when it comes time to borrow more money.

Last edited:

The last time the government shut down Congress voted to pay people for the furloughed days anyway. With hat being said there is no telling what is going to happen this time.

My agency has enough money to run until next Tuesday at full staffing level.

If it shuts down I dont see it lasting for more than a week. If it lasts for any amount of time I think you will get paid in the long run.

True, but everyone here at my agency is saying we may not get back paid this time....I dunno though I just started at FDA a couple months ago, Guess I'm just lucky this could happen AFTER my rent was due. Barely have had enough time to build up a solid emergency fund smh. Still though, this whole situation is ridiculous. I'll honestly be pissed if they shut down for a couple days and magically then they can find some agreement, like you guys really couldn't have hammered this out before Tuesday? :stoneface: :stoneface:

True, but everyone here at my agency is saying we may not get back paid this time....I dunno though I just started at FDA a couple months ago, Guess I'm just lucky this could happen AFTER my rent was due. Barely have had enough time to build up a solid emergency fund smh. Still though, this whole situation is ridiculous. I'll honestly be pissed if they shut down for a couple days and magically then they can find some agreement, like you guys really couldn't have hammered this out before Tuesday? :stoneface: :stoneface:

The messed up part is everybody knows how this will end. THE HOUSE IS GOING TO PASS A CLEAN FUNDING BILL. So basically in the end they are just grandstanding and putting on a show at the expense of people like you and I.

At the end of the day, the Republican/Tea Party has to get the fact that they LOST to Obama.............not just once, but twice.  This situation is just another example of the Republican party crying because they didn't/will not get their way. 

The messed up part is everybody knows how this will end. THE HOUSE IS GOING TO PASS A CLEAN FUNDING BILL. So basically in the end they are just grandstanding and putting on a show at the expense of people like you and I.

Yup yup. Our tax dollars at work :smh: :smh:

Shortly after House Republicans unveiled their latest gambit targeting Obamacare in exchange for funding the government, Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.) went off-script by throwing his support behind the Senate bill, which is known as a clean continuing resolution, because it continues government funding without major amendments to other legislation.

[COLOR=#red]"Let's see what the Senate sends back," Dent told reporters Saturday. "If they send back another clean CR, I suspect -- again, I'm not making a decision on what's going to be on the floor -- a clean CR would likely to be on the floor at some point.

"I’m prepared to vote for a clean resolution tomorrow," he added Sunday, according to The New York Times' Jonathan Weisman. "It’s time to govern. I don’t intend to support a fool’s errand."

Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.), deputy majority whip of the House, told reporters that the decision to pass a clean government funding bill belonged entirely to House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio).

"He didn't mention it, but I'm sure he could if he wanted to," Cole said as he emerged from Saturday's meeting."[/COLOR]

"We're pretty much out of options at this point,'' said Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.). "They're all giddy about it. You know who benefits the most here from a shutdown? The Democrats benefit and they know that."

Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.), a vocal critic of Cruz's do-or-die approach, pinned his hopes on 'normal people' finding a way to avert a shutdown.

"I don't want to be undercutting anything that's going on. I'm hopeful normal people are going to prevail," he said. "There's still time for the Senate to act."

Even those insisting they would support nothing less than a one-year delay of Obamacare conceded there were enough votes to pass a clean continuing resolution in the final hours.

This could all be over if Boehner just brings the bill to the floor.

Last edited:

True, but everyone here at my agency is saying we may not get back paid this time....I dunno though I just started at FDA a couple months ago, Guess I'm just lucky this could happen AFTER my rent was due. Barely have had enough time to build up a solid emergency fund smh. Still though, this whole situation is ridiculous. I'll honestly be pissed if they shut down for a couple days and magically then they can find some agreement, like you guys really couldn't have hammered this out before Tuesday?
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
The messed up part is everybody knows how this will end. THE HOUSE IS GOING TO PASS A CLEAN FUNDING BILL
laugh.gif
them boys aint budging.

On a political note, just found out Alex Wagner was engaged to Obama's right hand man. 

She's the one woman that makes me want to Butterfly Effect back in time so I could be her first and only boyfriend.

The most beautiful woman in the world. I swear I hate the dude that wifed her.

Back
Top Bottom