Greg Oden is trash thread...vol 1 man hacking machine

i could see him becoming a decent center but i really cannot imagine him averaging more than 16/10 at any point in his career...his offensive game is nonexistent and in the games i've watched him play (both in college and pros) he has shown nothing to me that he is capable of scoring points consistentlyoutside of dunks and you cant dunk on everyone in the nba
but he has great potential at being a great defensive center if he gets his mind right and stop committing stupid fouls

Originally Posted by yungmatt

Originally Posted by el producto79

I see people in here mentioning the hype surrounding Oden or the talk about him prior to the season, but all that is irrelevant. Did you guys see him play at tOSU, if you did then you shouldn't be surprised by what he's doing now. If you guys guys expected a dominating big man(or even a a competent offensive big man) right off the bat then you should be questioning your ability to evaluate talent, not Greg's ability to play in the NBA. Forget what other people say about dude, what did you guys think of him based off of what you saw?

You DO know that that IS what determines if someone is a bust or not dont you? I mean you should know that.
You're right folk, I'll give you that. Thing is, I don't really think in terms of whether or not someone is a bust. Never have, neverwill. I think in terms of whether I enjoy watching them play or not, and what can they offer their team.

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

Just the way all ya'll hyped him up to be the next Bill Russell, he was doomed from the start and will probably be labeled a bust for a #1 pick.
I kinda agree...the expectations for him were just way too high. However, I still think he'll become a very good center, you just have to givehim some time. Even big men like Andrew Bynum and Andris Biedrins didn't really start breaking out until a few seasons in. Of course, Oden can surpass thelevel of the two, but just give him time.

Originally Posted by acidicality

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

Just the way all ya'll hyped him up to be the next Bill Russell, he was doomed from the start and will probably be labeled a bust for a #1 pick.
Even big men like Andrew Bynum and Andris Biedrins didn't really start breaking out until a few seasons in. Of course, Oden can surpass the level of the two, but just give him time.
Here's my thing...

He was supposed to be WAY better than Bynum and Biedrins...so why are we giving him the same treatment as we did those two guys? Neither of those two werehailed as a can't miss future HOF big man.

With those type of credentials...I would think he would be alot better than what he is...or am I wrong for expecting more?

what was it like in washington when the wiz drafted Kwame? Was it the same situation like, "just be patient, he's young give him time"? Or didfans hate him right out of the gates? I need some perspective here.

bynum and Biedrins also lacked minutes and i can speak for bynum in his limited amout of PT he showed flash(not sure about Biedrins back then) oden is outthere getting minutes and looking like a bum and like MP said he has showed NO improvment what so ever in his game from his freshmen year at ohio state andnow.

I never really bought into the hype until it came around fantasy time and I decided to pick him up with all the possible ROY talk. But thus far, it seems likehe's got that same mental make-up that Kwame had, without the abusive attacks by media, Jordan, etc. True, he hasn't even lived up to expectations, butPortland drafted him #1 and all we can do is give the guy some time. BTW, he's still on my fantasy team.

seriously, S T F U.

it's been like 20 somethin games into the season, give the dude time. we all said yao was gonna be another softy, another shawn bradley in the making. lookat him now.

give greg some time.

I got this dude's autograph out at one of the AAU tournaments in Vegas thinking he was going to be the next big thing
laugh.gif
He may still be, and I'm notgoing to write him off just yet (though I don't things look to be in his favor...I still think he'll be a pretty solid contributor in a few years).

There was a magazine with Oden and Mayo on the cover, and I was trying to get both of their autographs on there. I happened to see Greg leaning up against awall outside of one of the gyms that I was about to play in, but all of OJ's games were at the same time as mine
smh.gif

Originally Posted by aubstuh86

seriously, S T F U.

it's been like 20 somethin games into the season, give the dude time. we all said yao was gonna be another softy, another shawn bradley in the making. look at him now.

give greg some time.
Sure ppl said yao was soft, but nobody ever questioned his talent. Oden is just not good. At this point in his career i'd take him putting upnumbers and being soft. He's not even putting up good numbers and he's worst than soft. Like someone mentioned earlier he has the same love for thegame as Ricky Williams.
Look at his stats compared to Pryzbilla's and just the fact that Odens #'s are comparable show's he's nowhere near a dominant center.

I just do not understand how people can justify a # 1 pick averaging 7 and 7? HE WAS THE # 1 PICK IN THE DRAFT!

He's was the most hyped draft pick since Yao and Lebron and those guys have lived up to expectations. D. Rose is doing exactly what you expect out of a # 1pick.

If Joakim Noah was drafted # 1 after his junior year (which he probably would've been) and averaged 7 and 7 ya'll would be quick to call him a bum!

Originally Posted by aubstuh86

seriously, S T F U.

it's been like 20 somethin games into the season, give the dude time. we all said yao was gonna be another softy, another shawn bradley in the making. look at him now.

give greg some time.

yao 1st year numbers was 13 points a game 8boards and like 2 blocks. yall want to try again with these names yall keep tossing out?

For real, just give the dude some time. He had hype because he was all about potential. When he was drafted, there was a serious lack of dominant big men left.Down the road, many saw Greg Oden filling the shoes of shaq and the like.

Yao Ming wasn't that great his first year. Look at where he is now.

Kobe wanted to ship Andrew Bynum out of LA cause he was trash the first two seasons. He's now showing some flashes of greatness, and is now the Lakers'future.

Dwight Howard was pretty good for a rookie, but look at where he is now after a few seasons under his belt.

If anything, blame the media for hyping him up. If he doesn't show up a few years down the road (hello Kwame Brown), then I'd agree that he is justtrash.

Seriously, if you made this post next year, it will be more credible.

And how can you compare him to Amare and ZBo. Yes they both had the surgery, but they had it way after their rookie years. They already experienced the grindof the NBA lifestyle and knew what it took to be productive in the L. Oden hasn't played in a meaningful game since losing the 2006 NCAA championship game.That's over two years of just sitting out with injuries.

My point is that Amare and ZBo had the mental toughness and physical experience to know what level to get back to. Oden is still a rookie. He hasn't playedwith grown-men in an NBA game before. He's still adjusting along with the injuries. His time will come soon.

Isn't this the clown that said Zack Randolph was a top 3 power forward in the league or something like that?
laugh.gif

lnMyMind wrote:

Here's my thing...

He was supposed to be WAY better than Bynum and Biedrins...so why are we giving him the same treatment as we did those two guys? Neither of those two were hailed as a can't miss future HOF big man.

With those type of credentials...I would think he would be alot better than what he is...or am I wrong for expecting more?

You're right.

I'm willing to give him time because not everyone can come into the league and make an impact immediately.

However, it's not the microfracture surgery that's totally hindering him. It's actual skill. He can barelysquare up to the basket, let alone make a hook shot or drop step without looking awkward. And I heard all this praise about his defense, but this guy is afouling machine. I'm sure some of it is due to him adjusting from coming back from surgery, but then again he was a fouling machine in college too.

But like I said, I'm willing to give him time to develop and improve.

he's what 25 games in to his career?

No, he hasn't developed offensively and isn't playing as well as expected.

But, still...

seriously. where do you see this "beast" at?
against Utah, his highlights consisted of him: getting credit for a tip in he didnt touch, closing out on a shooter, and setting a pick
pryzbilla does the exact same thing oden does, and fouls less

Back
Top Bottom