GSWARRIORS THREAD VOL. ANDDD AGAINNNN NBA CHAMPIONS

But being in position and knowing where the ball will come off the rim and backboard seems like an innate skill.
1610499161833.gif

solid defense last nite, just poor late game offense. most of the team did their thing on both ends but steph played like ***. no paschall and wiseman getting into foul trouble hurt the team bad, they couldn't defend the paint at all. by the fourth, indiana was getting so many 2nd chance opportunities. i was getting frustrated with wiseman's fouls but then realized he's still a kid, 19 playing amongst grown men. so these are just growing pains

on the topic of wise being a rebounder, a few things: rarely do we see rookies step into the league and immediately own the glass. as others have alluded to, he'll learn spacing, where to be when shots go up, and how to use his body to get better position. the eye-test shows that he's not afraid to battle for boards and always seems to put a hand on the ball even when he can't get it cleanly. he's definitely using that wing span. love it.

if steph is gonna keep seeing the box and 1 thrown his way, i wanna see him use the screen and attack the basket sometimes instead of dribbling away from defenders. steph is great at splitting defenders off that screen. if he goes downhill, he'll probably draw a lot of non-shooting fouls.

They'll figure out how to break down that Box and 1. The moment that happens, teams will scramble to try and stop him again.

Winnable game, but man. Indy is good. I'm a fan of Sabonis.

They'll figure out how to break down that Box and 1. The moment that happens, teams will scramble to try and stop him again.

Winnable game, but man. Indy is good. I'm a fan of Sabonis.
I believe they will break it sooner than later. A lot of new players will learn how to screen better for Steph. Kerr def gotta keep shooters in, and Oubre gotta get his numbers up so they cant Draymond him.

what do y'all think of wig's handles? i can see that he has relatively good control of the ball but when he attempts his "advanced" moves, he never really creates space & he's just doing a bunch of dribbling getting nowhere and i'm not sure if it really helps him much for his mid range pull up.

Speaking of rebounds. It may just be too early to tell, but Wiseman just isnt a ball magnet. You know how some players are just always at the right place at the right time for rebounds haha.

Paschal on the other hand seems to be a ball magnet and just times his boards up well.
One of the topics I wonder myself. Is it mainly an innate skill? Quick reaction time, great motor, great anticipation of where the ball might end up, etc. As with probably everything in life, I am sure you can improve with diligent hard work, but how much better is the question. I would even argue that only a small percentage of NBA players, past and current, has been a ball magnet.
True, I am not sure its something you can teach. You can teach being aggressive on boards. That will reward you for sure.

But being in position and knowing where the ball will come off the rim and backboard seems like an innate skill.

Wiseman is a baby. Little itty bitty shoulders right now but the frame is there to grow into. His chest don’t even protrude yet.

I’d be extra cautious in predicting his ability in any area right now, just given how little adult basketball he’s played.

Quickly looking at the top 10 in rebounds last season, amongst centers Drummond is the only one who averaged more than what Wiseman is on pace for in their rookie season. He’s also the only who was a teenager at the time.

Wiseman has soooooooo much development ahead of him physically, tactically, mentally.

In theory the positioning, the awareness, the timing, might take the longest to fully develop.

I immediately thought of this clip when the topic came up. :lol:

Interestingly enough Rodman is a great example of continued skill development. Didn’t come anywhere near his career average in rebounds until he was 28.

Last edited:
Wiseman is a baby. Little itty bitty shoulders right now but the frame is there to grow into. His chest don’t even protrude yet.

I’d be extra cautious in predicting his ability in any area right now, just given how little adult basketball he’s played.

Quickly looking at the top 10 in rebounds last season, amongst centers Drummond is the only one who averaged more than what Wiseman is on pace for in their rookie season. He’s also the only who was a teenager at the time.

Wiseman has soooooooo much development ahead of him physically, tactically, mentally.

In theory the positioning, the awareness, the timing, might take the longest to fully develop.

I immediately thought of this clip when the topic came up. :lol:

Interestingly enough Rodman is a great example of continued skill development. Didn’t come anywhere near his career average in rebounds until he was 28.
Yea very young. Dam crazy he’s 19. I think he definitely would of been 1 over all if he played more than a few games in college.

I think if Wiseman this season can learn how to screen well and improve passing it will take this offense to the next level. Being able to set those high ball screens and make decisions with the ball up top. Kid has great ball handling skills.

what do y'all think of wig's handles? i can see that he has relatively good control of the ball but when he attempts his "advanced" moves, he never really creates space & he's just doing a bunch of dribbling getting nowhere and i'm not sure if it really helps him much for his mid range pull up.

i dont think wigs has the sauce. from what i've seen his dribble isn't getting his defender out of position or creating much separation. but he has an explosive first step and he's good at creating space with his step back.

i dont think wigs has the sauce. from what i've seen his dribble isn't getting his defender out of position or creating much separation. but he has an explosive first step and he's good at creating space with his step back.
Agreed.

Yeah, our team felt a step behind all night, especially on defense. Also, the Nuggets are a battle-tested team that are completely cohesive with one another which is the complete opposite of our team aside from a few players. Growing Pains are going to play a part in this season and kinks will get ironed as the season moves along. Nuggets are just a flat-out better team than us at this point.

Yea I expected this and the Laker game to be more like this, as this team is still finding its identity. I think defense is what will carry them all season while the offense irons itself out.

I think a good emphasis on screening for Steph. Helped tongiht .

I know Dray is the motor to GSW's defense, he does so much for the team that doesn't show up on stat sheets. however, has he just played himself into a box? as in, have coaches/media/fans given him the pass to essentially become a non-scorer because of what he does elsewhere?

i'm a huge fan of Dray, but the regression of his offense is bad. he's great at facilitating, setting up lobs and screening for steph, an absolutely on floor general. but him cycling between games where he scores 0-2 points is not going to cut it this year. warriors can hide that when they have the luxury of KD and Klay, but in a year where you don't have a prolific scorer outside of steph, idk if this team can afford to have him be that reluctant to look for his shot. the days of him going 10/7/7 seem like a distant past but I think he can get back to being close to it. if dray could hit a midrange when slipping off that screen, it would help a lot with the box and 1 teams throw at steph.

I know Dray is the motor to GSW's defense, he does so much for the team that doesn't show up on stat sheets. however, has he just played himself into a box? as in, have coaches/media/fans given him the pass to essentially become a non-scorer because of what he does elsewhere?

i'm a huge fan of Dray, but the regression of his offense is bad. he's great at facilitating, setting up lobs and screening for steph, an absolutely on floor general. but him cycling between games where he scores 0-2 points is not going to cut it this year. warriors can hide that when they have the luxury of KD and Klay, but in a year where you don't have a prolific scorer outside of steph, idk if this team can afford to have him be that reluctant to look for his shot. the days of him going 10/7/7 seem like a distant past but I think he can get back to being close to it. if dray could hit a midrange when slipping off that screen, it would help a lot with the box and 1 teams throw at steph.

i honestly don't get why his offense is so *** lol. there are plenty of times when i questioned whether he passed up a relatively easy scoring opportunity for an assist (acting like an assist *****) or he's lacks confidence to take the shot. although his shooting splits 28%/20%/65%, i think he's getting a pass mainly because everybody thinks it will eventually improve once the season progresses - i mean it has to, right?

A part of me feels like the coaching staff is putting a lot on dray’s plate.. Essentially he’s a player/coach/mentor tbh. There were even times that dray and Kerr didn’t agree and they even got into it lol but think it’s just a culmination of everything and just having to adjust so fast.
Dray is a smart player he knows wassup. Way more often than not he’ll make the right/winning decision. He knows he’s not the main option as scorer. I do think Dray can become a decent scorer like 10-12 ppg and I do agree that not having klay affects dray in terms of scoring bc klays is one of the all time great floor spacers.

If we’re talking shooting percentages and statistics, Kerr has to understand that you can’t have a lineup with dray and oubre together for long periods because there’s such a huge drop in offensive output even with Steph on the floor. Whats the point of defending well when you can’t score consistently at the other end? It cancels each other out. The thought of starting d Lee instead of oubre logically makes sense but oubre has to be starting bc we’re essentially paying $70-80 mill for his services so the staff has no choice..even tho they do but Kerr too chicken s*** haha

Back
Top Bottom