H&M is under fire for racist hoodie

and as ive said ive apologized for my mistake in overstating the magnitude

nonetheless its more than months ago and im still being haranged

like in my 5 years here i say one maybe two things that ppl dont like about asians

all of a sudden im every name under the sun

nevermind the kaep thread, the ota benga thread, white fragility and redux none of that matters how i try because apparently i made a mistake and iMUST be crucified for it
Your first reaction was to double-down and try to justify. You are not a victim. We do things and have to suffer the consequences, even having to live down whatever mark on our reputation is there. That takes time. Our reputations and how we are perceived by others is fluid. One negative can undo years of positive actions.

It's great you are so sensitive to what YOUR race has to deal with, but you seem to not be able to apply that same sensitivity to other races. Don't become the monster you've been fighting against.

well im not familiar with soccer so i dont know that

im also not white so i cant say what would offend a white person

but if a white person did take offense be my guest im not gonna sit here and argue with him over it

It's a Predator advertisement bruh lol
The predator commercials for Pobga seem more light hearted that the Zidane and Beckham ones I remembered as a kid too.

Also....

images

Like I said, I can see why someone not knowing soccer might have been like "wtf", but Adidas has near 20 year history of marketing their players of all colors a certain way. So I do not think people should rate this as flagrant as H&M's ad.

Last edited:
Your first reaction was to double-down and try to justify. You are not a victim. We do things and have to suffer the consequences, even having to live down whatever mark on our reputation is there. That takes time. Our reputations and how we are perceived by others is fluid. One negative can undo years of positive actions.

It's great you are so sensitive to what YOUR race has to deal with, but you seem to not be able to apply that same sensitivity to other races. Don't become the monster you've been fighting against.

so if im not a power ranger out here for the mutiracial coalition then **** it right?

i feel like regardless of "doubling down" or whatever its all semantics

as far as one negative undoing years of good i dont agree

from an outside perspective you can say that but ask someone who ive educated or shown something they never knew if the fact that i misspoke once or twice undoes all of that

you arent familiar with me so you see that screenshot and draw your conclusions

i cant be mad at that

but if thats all you want to do, and not look deeper then id say youre the one missing out

its like this ad, you all are saying do the research! do the research!

but all i see is the image and i dont like it

now that you all have explained the history of ads i stopped calling it racist and called it problematic

see i can adjust, but some ppl are so dead set in being against me that it doesnt matter what i say

I think the is subliminally racist but I can understand that people who aren't up on the game would think otherwise.

Traditionally Black men have been viewed and marketed as predators.

A few examples would be:

The original Birth of a Nation. (The movie depicts the KKK catching a proprietorial black man for assaulting a white woman)
Weed being illegal. (prohibition of MJ started from racial Propaganda of the plant making African Americans agressive)
Emmett Till.
The Central Park 5.
Even recently with that Ugandan VR Chat meme has racial undertones stereotyping black men as proprietorial.

Subjugating Black men as animalistic is problematic to the narrative of Black Men as a whole.

• Becky jumping and clutching her purse for dear life every time I get on the elevator or walk past her on the street is a byproduct of that narrative.
  • Seeing a white woman yell at a African man on the train for tapping her on the shoulder because she has her headphones on and she is blocking the isle is also a byproduct of that narrative.
  • Cops shooting unarmed black people is a part of that narrative of black people being portrayed as predators.
Some Black people are numb to that reality due to circumstance and survival but it is a very real thing.

Personally I think the marketing yourself as Predator is demeaning in general and is racist/anti-black of you place that on a black person.

Beast Mode is cool but keep in mind how the media spins Marshawns image.

Also, can anyone give me a similar nickname for a white athlete. Not for the reach but I seriously don't know but now I question it.

Imagine being a young Pogba growing up dreaming about having your own model in the Predator collection but when you finally get there some exec tells you “Sorry man...people are going to think we’re saying black people are predators”.

I think the is subliminally racist but I can understand that people who aren't up on the game would think otherwise.

Traditionally Black men have been viewed and marketed as predators.

A few examples would be:

The original Birth of a Nation. (The movie depicts the KKK catching a proprietorial black man for assaulting a white woman)
Weed being illegal. (prohibition of MJ started from racial Propaganda of the plant making African Americans agressive)
Emmett Till.
The Central Park 5.
Even recently with that Ugandan VR Chat meme has racial undertones stereotyping black men as proprietorial.

Subjugating Black men as animalistic is problematic to the narrative of Black Men as a whole.

• Becky jumping and clutching her purse for dear life every time I get on the elevator or walk past her on the street is a byproduct of that narrative.
  • Seeing a white woman yell at a African man on the train for tapping her on the shoulder because she has her headphones on and she is blocking the isle is also a byproduct of that narrative.
  • Cops shooting unarmed black people is a part of that narrative of black people being portrayed as predators.
Some Black people are numb to that reality due to circumstance and survival but it is a very real thing.

Personally I think the marketing yourself as Predator is demeaning in general and is racist/anti-black of you place that on a black person.

Beast Mode is cool but keep in mind how the media spins Marshawns image.

Also, can anyone give me a similar nickname for a white athlete. Not for the reach but I seriously don't know but now I question it.

i laid out something similar a few pages back but after seeing so many struggle to understand the PREDATOR reference, it makes me wonder, whats the use?

and the PREDATOR one is a simple one too

sheesh

Imagine being a young Pogba growing up dreaming about having your own model in the Predator collection but when you finally get there some exec tells you “Sorry man...people are going to think we’re saying black people are predators”.
Then people would scrutinize Adidas for not having diversity in the predator line lol. Some people are too sensitive and try to spin almost anything into a negative connotation.

It all depends on how the ad is presented. I know you know that

The predator commercials for Pobga seem more light hearted that the Zidane and Beckham ones I remembered as a kid too.

Also....

images

Like I said, I can see why someone not knowing soccer might have been like "wtf", but a near 20 year history of marketing their players of all colors a certain way. So I do not think people should rate this as flagrant as H&M's ad.

Slightly older predator ad:

aeebd118954529.562d231c93bfe.jpg

if you watch soccer and know about this player than your opinion is biased and holds no weight.

you joke but this is exactly how it should have went down really.

Again, the Predator LINE isn't the issue.

The issue is how THAT ONE particular ad was presented.

Nobody is saying DUDE shouldn't be part of the LINE.

We are simply sayijg, more thought should have gone into the MUGshot type ad.

Then people would scrutinize Adidas for not having diversity in the predator line lol. Some people are too sensitive and try to spin almost anything into a negative connotation.

This is the thing I hate most about where are today.

There's NO win. There's always going to be opposition voiced.

****** will put more effort and energy into crying about this type of ****...then they will into pooling their resources to create brands and businesses where they have 100% control over their portrayal. Why don't some of you ****** use the internet and look for the black kid who has an idea to create the next Adidas and do whatever you can to support him. Stop buying Nikes and Adidas. Stop buying anything that wasn't manufactured by black businesses and doesn't provide any type of support to black communities. Stop giving your money to the same power structure that is misusing your likeness.

The easiest thing to do is to stand on the soapbox and *****.

Last edited:
Who called it racist?

i did and maybe it was a reach but who is anyone in here to determine what someone else feels is racist.

when i look at that photo i see a black man being called predator looks like a damn movie if it wasnt for the addidas on the photo.

but this is a simple concept to grasp but yet we reaching hella far FOH

So what about the ad I've posted a couple of times in this thread? Is it less problematic because it has white athletes in it?

Yes it is less problematic and yes it is because of the white athletes

Like I said, I can see why someone not knowing soccer might have been like "wtf", but a near 20 year history of marketing their players of all colors a certain way. So I do not think people should rate this as flagrant as H&M's ad.

Agreed. From an outsider's position, I was definitely taken back. It's also not as flagrant because of Adidas history and track record of diversity

put that add in the hood and remove the addidas symbol and watch what reactions you get

Again, the Predator LINE isn't the issue.

The issue is how THAT ONE particular ad was presented.

Nobody is saying DUDE shouldn't be part of the LINE.

We are simply sayijg, more thought should have gone into the MUGshot type ad.
How would you go about doing things differently?

Back
Top Bottom