HAKEEM THE DREAM BEING UNDERAPPRECIATED DISAPPRECAITION POST...vol. Best Ever.

Originally Posted by Statis22

Yeah we had those guys and Utah was STILL the best team in the West. They had the best record. Malone was the freakin MVP.

I don't see how that is an indictment on Hakeem or his perception, bias or not.

And the Rockets lost with a more talented squad...As great as the Dream was, he was a coaster in the regular season.  It's why those teams never gelled.  The Celtics came in working there #%!+! off all hungry while those Rockets team has a lackadaisical entitled attitude.

My Center rankings:
1. Russell
2. Kareem
3. Shaw
4. Hakeem
5. Wilt

man hakeem couldnt even guard a third year shaq.

the only reason he put up those numbers on shaq was because houston was aggresively double teaming shaq. EVERYTIME he got the ball.

while hakeem was only gettin double teamed 25% of the time.

so shaq was basically guarding him one on one.

hakeem had no chance against that version of shaq.

had they played single coverage shaq would have averaged 35 ppg

he was only in his 3rd year and still averaged 28 ppg on dream. despite the aggresive double teams.

99-00 shaq would have dismantled hakeem

man hakeem couldnt even guard a third year shaq.

the only reason he put up those numbers on shaq was because houston was aggresively double teaming shaq. EVERYTIME he got the ball.

while hakeem was only gettin double teamed 25% of the time.

so shaq was basically guarding him one on one.

hakeem had no chance against that version of shaq.

had they played single coverage shaq would have averaged 35 ppg

he was only in his 3rd year and still averaged 28 ppg on dream. despite the aggresive double teams.

99-00 shaq would have dismantled hakeem

Originally Posted by Statis22

Yeah we had those guys and Utah was STILL the best team in the West. They had the best record. Malone was the freakin MVP.

I don't see how that is an indictment on Hakeem or his perception, bias or not.

And the Rockets lost with a more talented squad...As great as the Dream was, he was a coaster in the regular season.  It's why those teams never gelled.  The Celtics came in working there #%!+! off all hungry while those Rockets team has a lackadaisical entitled attitude.

My Center rankings:
1. Russell
2. Kareem
3. Shaw
4. Hakeem
5. Wilt

Entitled to what, Barkley hadn't won a damn thing. 97 was the last good year from Hakeem. We won 57, the Jazz won 64.

The Celtics were the best team in the league in 08. The Rockets weren't the best in 97. Talent be damn, the jazz were still better than us.

I don't even know why a championship team is even being compared to a team that didn't even reach the Finals.

Entitled to what, Barkley hadn't won a damn thing. 97 was the last good year from Hakeem. We won 57, the Jazz won 64.

The Celtics were the best team in the league in 08. The Rockets weren't the best in 97. Talent be damn, the jazz were still better than us.

I don't even know why a championship team is even being compared to a team that didn't even reach the Finals.

Definitely taking Hakeem over Shaq but I'm not surprised so many NTers think otherwise.  Young kids, what are you going to do with so many who never saw Hakeem?  Hakeem is the best big man I've ever seen since I only remember the end of Kareem's career when he was a whiny brat.  I would put Shaq as #2 on that list though obviously.
Shaq gets a little overrated for a lot of reasons...

A) Being a Laker

B) Phenomenal highlight reel plays

C) Winning titles

D) His personality/sense of humor

But the man was swept out of the playoffs SIX times, all with damn good talent around him.  He played with the best perimeter player in the league for all of his titles.  He never won anything until the great centers all left the league or were out of their prime (Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, etc) and the league was at it's most pathetic point talent-wise since the merger.

Furthermore, against the tough opponents of Vlade Divac, Todd McCollough, a decrepit Sabonis (not quite the same as having to play David Robinson, Ewing and Shaq en route to Hakeem's two titles) - the Laker three-peat was on the verge of not happening on several occasions.  His production dropped once he hit 30 years of age and he was never a dominant player again - no one seems to realize that Shaq's prime was ultimately over by 2003.  He gave you all the amazing plays you see in the YouTube clips but he was always an underachiever defensively and teams that could keep him from getting great post position could somewhat limit him because of his lack of touch around the rim and horrible FT%.

To me, Bill Simmons' section on Shaq in BOB hits the nail on the head.  Shaq was dominant but not the best and you feel he didn't really reach his potential.  I can't put him over Hakeem, so well rounded and versatile.  Sure, Shaq ate him up in '95 but Hakeem returned the favor.  And Shaq was really the only center that went off vs Hakeem - plenty of opposing big men went off on Shaq.

Definitely taking Hakeem over Shaq but I'm not surprised so many NTers think otherwise.  Young kids, what are you going to do with so many who never saw Hakeem?  Hakeem is the best big man I've ever seen since I only remember the end of Kareem's career when he was a whiny brat.  I would put Shaq as #2 on that list though obviously.

A) Being a Laker

C) Winning titles

But the man was swept out of the playoffs SIX times, all with damn good talent around him.  He played with the best perimeter player in the league for all of his titles.  He never won anything until the great centers all left the league or were out of their prime (Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, etc) and the league was at it's most pathetic point talent-wise since the merger.

Furthermore, against the tough opponents of Vlade Divac, Todd McCollough, a decrepit Sabonis (not quite the same as having to play David Robinson, Ewing and Shaq en route to Hakeem's two titles) - the Laker three-peat was on the verge of not happening on several occasions.  His production dropped once he hit 30 years of age and he was never a dominant player again - no one seems to realize that Shaq's prime was ultimately over by 2003.  He gave you all the amazing plays you see in the YouTube clips but he was always an underachiever defensively and teams that could keep him from getting great post position could somewhat limit him because of his lack of touch around the rim and horrible FT%.

To me, Bill Simmons' section on Shaq in BOB hits the nail on the head.  Shaq was dominant but not the best and you feel he didn't really reach his potential.  I can't put him over Hakeem, so well rounded and versatile.  Sure, Shaq ate him up in '95 but Hakeem returned the favor.  And Shaq was really the only center that went off vs Hakeem - plenty of opposing big men went off on Shaq.

Originally Posted by CLuTcH 713

Miss the guy, WISH Yao Ming would take some damn notes from Hakeem!!
laugh.gif
The hell is you talking about.

Yao is one of the more talented centers, definitely the most talented of his generation.

I'm surprised so many people are hyping up Shaq, when we were talking about top five's a while back, I don't remember Shaq being praised this much.

The reign of dominance of Hakeem from 93-95 was ridiculous. The League was his. So many games of just ridiculous blocks, rebounds, and points.

But it's hard to deny, Hakeem was DEFINITELY more skilled, and the MOST SKILLED of all the bigs, ever.

Originally Posted by CLuTcH 713

Miss the guy, WISH Yao Ming would take some damn notes from Hakeem!!
laugh.gif
The hell is you talking about.

Yao is one of the more talented centers, definitely the most talented of his generation.

I'm surprised so many people are hyping up Shaq, when we were talking about top five's a while back, I don't remember Shaq being praised this much.

The reign of dominance of Hakeem from 93-95 was ridiculous. The League was his. So many games of just ridiculous blocks, rebounds, and points.

But it's hard to deny, Hakeem was DEFINITELY more skilled, and the MOST SKILLED of all the bigs, ever.

You just gotta laugh when you see some of these comments. Clearly some of you were not around to watch The Dream.

You just gotta laugh when you see some of these comments. Clearly some of you were not around to watch The Dream.

Originally Posted by ehh

A) Being a Laker

C) Winning titles

My man. Preach!

This is why it always erks me when people say he carried the team to a 3-peat.

I love my boy, but he was playing against some average centers
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ehh

A) Being a Laker

C) Winning titles

My man. Preach!

This is why it always erks me when people say he carried the team to a 3-peat.

I love my boy, but he was playing against some average centers
laugh.gif

In my opinion
Hakeem = The most skilled

Shaq = The most dominant

It's really a wash for who was better, because you're either a person who appreciates skills or a person who appreciates sheer dominance. 

In my opinion
Hakeem = The most skilled

Shaq = The most dominant

It's really a wash for who was better, because you're either a person who appreciates skills or a person who appreciates sheer dominance. 

The best big man i've ever gotten to watch imo.. but really if people say shaq > Hakeem i can't even be mad... But me personally... i'll take the dream...

The best big man i've ever gotten to watch imo.. but really if people say shaq > Hakeem i can't even be mad... But me personally... i'll take the dream...

hakeem is very underappreciated that 93-94 season where he won mvp and defensive player of the year was one of the best seasons ever for a center there's no arguing that hakeem was underappreicated, but shaq will go down as a better center then him.

Back
Top Bottom