HAKEEM THE DREAM BEING UNDERAPPRECIATED DISAPPRECAITION POST...vol. Best Ever.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

To get to the Championships back in Hakeems day, you had to go through the Jazz, Charles Barkley, Jordan, Isiah and the Pistons, the Magic, but yeah just those to mention some.

If George Karl wasn't the worst playoff coach in the history of the NBA, they'd have gone up against the Sonics in '94 and '95, but those epic playoff collapses prevented that (the Sonics in 1995 is an underrated tank job). I love George, but good christ was he terrible come playoff time.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

To get to the Championships back in Hakeems day, you had to go through the Jazz, Charles Barkley, Jordan, Isiah and the Pistons, the Magic, but yeah just those to mention some.

If George Karl wasn't the worst playoff coach in the history of the NBA, they'd have gone up against the Sonics in '94 and '95, but those epic playoff collapses prevented that (the Sonics in 1995 is an underrated tank job). I love George, but good christ was he terrible come playoff time.

Greatest all around center EVER. 

used to imitate his dream shake 
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

[h3]
[/h3]

Uhm He is one of the few players that you can say one a championship without a legitimate second star beside him, his 93 94 championship, 30, 11 and 5 with secnod leading scorer on his team had 14 PPG, Vernon Maxwell.

Uhm He is one of the few players that you can say one a championship without a legitimate second star beside him, his 93 94 championship, 30, 11 and 5 with secnod leading scorer on his team had 14 PPG, Vernon Maxwell.

That 93-94 Rockets and that 03-04 Pistons squad are NBA outliers.

They had no superstars were the true definition of a "team"

&

Dream took a squad of role players to the chip and won it, I can't think of another squad that had 1 person do it all by themself like he did. Not saying the role players didn't play their role and support him but it was definitely ALL squarely on his shoulders. I don't think any other HOF can say that.

That 93-94 Rockets and that 03-04 Pistons squad are NBA outliers.

They had no superstars were the true definition of a "team"

&

Dream took a squad of role players to the chip and won it, I can't think of another squad that had 1 person do it all by themself like he did. Not saying the role players didn't play their role and support him but it was definitely ALL squarely on his shoulders. I don't think any other HOF can say that.

Cake, I get what you're sayin about Dream didn't win more titles because of Bird/Magic/Jordan winnin most of them for a decade, but here's the thing though, Jordan didn't beat Dream.  Bird didn't beat Dream.  Magic only knocked the Dream off in the 80's. 

In the 90's, in his prime, they weren't even getting to the finals.  We all know who Mike faced each of those years, then suddenly the 2 years he was out, Dream came in and got his 2, and when Mike came back, Dream wasn't there already. 

So in a sense, the question still would remain, why didn't he get more done?  In 93 they were beat by the Sonics, whom the Suns took down.  In 96 they were beat by the Sonics again, who did go onto the finals.  So his window of truly doing anything title wise was basically 4 years.  (minus the 80's when he was a kid with Ralph Sampson)  In 92 they didn't even make the playoffs, and the unit he won the titles with was there for that 93 series with the Sonics. 

Maybe the Rockets just weren't managed properly during his time, but I truly only remember worrying about his team those 2 years they won when Mike was away.  And honestly if Nick Anderson makes a free throw, that could have chanced the entire way those Magic played the rest of that series, and we look at both Shaq, and Dream in a complete different light. 

Cake, I get what you're sayin about Dream didn't win more titles because of Bird/Magic/Jordan winnin most of them for a decade, but here's the thing though, Jordan didn't beat Dream.  Bird didn't beat Dream.  Magic only knocked the Dream off in the 80's. 

In the 90's, in his prime, they weren't even getting to the finals.  We all know who Mike faced each of those years, then suddenly the 2 years he was out, Dream came in and got his 2, and when Mike came back, Dream wasn't there already. 

So in a sense, the question still would remain, why didn't he get more done?  In 93 they were beat by the Sonics, whom the Suns took down.  In 96 they were beat by the Sonics again, who did go onto the finals.  So his window of truly doing anything title wise was basically 4 years.  (minus the 80's when he was a kid with Ralph Sampson)  In 92 they didn't even make the playoffs, and the unit he won the titles with was there for that 93 series with the Sonics. 

Maybe the Rockets just weren't managed properly during his time, but I truly only remember worrying about his team those 2 years they won when Mike was away.  And honestly if Nick Anderson makes a free throw, that could have chanced the entire way those Magic played the rest of that series, and we look at both Shaq, and Dream in a complete different light. 

See heres the thing CP, he had a team full of "Meh/Ehhh" every single year after Sampson went down...I mean look at who he took to the finals those two years. Besides Clyde there were no note worthy names on that roster at that time, because we all know what Cassell turned out to be (why did they let him go again???). Then when he actually had a crew when Barkley and Scottie came, the entire dynamic of the team was thrown off by Chuck's insisting to be "The Man" while lacking physical ability. They were like the 05 Lakers before Shaq got hurt and Kobe took over... Too many Alpha Dogs, they never gelled.

See heres the thing CP, he had a team full of "Meh/Ehhh" every single year after Sampson went down...I mean look at who he took to the finals those two years. Besides Clyde there were no note worthy names on that roster at that time, because we all know what Cassell turned out to be (why did they let him go again???). Then when he actually had a crew when Barkley and Scottie came, the entire dynamic of the team was thrown off by Chuck's insisting to be "The Man" while lacking physical ability. They were like the 05 Lakers before Shaq got hurt and Kobe took over... Too many Alpha Dogs, they never gelled.

hakeem had 10000000003983240894378937 moves in post...man was incredible
pimp.gif

a center with finesse
pimp.gif

shaq and hakeem are debatable

hakeem had 10000000003983240894378937 moves in post...man was incredible
pimp.gif

a center with finesse
pimp.gif

shaq and hakeem are debatable

As stated many times in this post, Hakeem could do it all. Whens the last time you saw a center pulling up taking jump shots...handling the rock like a PG?? Dude was so agile and skilled....I mean, the Dream Shake says is all about this guy. and like One Trust said...top ten in Steals and #1 in blocked shots......he dominated every center he went up against, Shaq, Ewing, Robinson, etc...and remember this is during an era where the Big Men reigned supreme.....its truely an injustice he gets overlooked so much....I see him at the mosque in Houston quite frequently....maybe the most humble superstar the NBA has seen....just cant say enough about his skill, and more importantly what kind of person he is. The epitome of greatness, as well as character and role model.

Hakeem the Dream FTW.

As stated many times in this post, Hakeem could do it all. Whens the last time you saw a center pulling up taking jump shots...handling the rock like a PG?? Dude was so agile and skilled....I mean, the Dream Shake says is all about this guy. and like One Trust said...top ten in Steals and #1 in blocked shots......he dominated every center he went up against, Shaq, Ewing, Robinson, etc...and remember this is during an era where the Big Men reigned supreme.....its truely an injustice he gets overlooked so much....I see him at the mosque in Houston quite frequently....maybe the most humble superstar the NBA has seen....just cant say enough about his skill, and more importantly what kind of person he is. The epitome of greatness, as well as character and role model.

Hakeem the Dream FTW.

I hear that Cake.  I do find it interesting though that when people debate Shaq/Dream we all seem to mention that Dream never had the help he needed, and Shaq had Kobe.  (the help he needed)
But when people debate Kobe vs whoever, they discredit the hell out of him, and say that Shaq got all those titles in 00, 01, and 02, like he was out there playin by hisself.  Well which is it? 

See the irony in there? 

Shaq is transparent as hell, I see him for what he is, had an elite in Penny, elite in Kobe, elite in Wade, then he joined Nash and Stat, then Bron, now the Celts trio plus Rondo.  Shaq ain't never gone anywhere WITHOUT a bunch of back up, and I'm pretty sure the reason was he knew he couldn't do nothin in a 4th quarter for his team, he can't hit damn free throws.  Shaq has always needed to have someone with him.  That said, the man got 4 titles, and honestly, could/should have 6-7.  They blew 04 due to imploding and Kobe legal crap, Wade got injured the year before they won, which they could have had a shot vs San Antonio.  Like I mentioned before, if Nick makes his free throws, maybe that series turns, so Shaq really could have a whole lot more titles.

Dream just has his 2.  And was never really a threat other then those two years, and 86 as a kid.  Everything else, he was just a first/second round type team.  A lot like the Atlanta Hawks would be looked at right now.  Dream himself was great, but the team around him never was.  When 94 came, they found that formula of just throwing 4 shooters around him like a pinwheel and let him kick it out for wide open shots.  They also used Otis Thorpe as a rebounder early in games to help him out on the glass.  They were a perfect blend of early and late game strategies, with plenty of flexibility.  Horry had a lot to do with that as well, bein able to play the 4, but could shoot well enough to add spacing for Dream inside. 

As dominant as Shaq was forcefully, Dream was his equal gracefully.  Footwork, quickness, moves, passing, he was terrific.  To me, he was more of a PF then true center, a lot like how Tim Duncan was built, only a little quicker then Tim ever was.  I dunno, they were both great, I don't have a problem either way, Shaq/Dream, or Dream/Shaq, but I don't think it's that big of a margin of difference.  *shrugs* 

I hear that Cake.  I do find it interesting though that when people debate Shaq/Dream we all seem to mention that Dream never had the help he needed, and Shaq had Kobe.  (the help he needed)
But when people debate Kobe vs whoever, they discredit the hell out of him, and say that Shaq got all those titles in 00, 01, and 02, like he was out there playin by hisself.  Well which is it? 

See the irony in there? 

Shaq is transparent as hell, I see him for what he is, had an elite in Penny, elite in Kobe, elite in Wade, then he joined Nash and Stat, then Bron, now the Celts trio plus Rondo.  Shaq ain't never gone anywhere WITHOUT a bunch of back up, and I'm pretty sure the reason was he knew he couldn't do nothin in a 4th quarter for his team, he can't hit damn free throws.  Shaq has always needed to have someone with him.  That said, the man got 4 titles, and honestly, could/should have 6-7.  They blew 04 due to imploding and Kobe legal crap, Wade got injured the year before they won, which they could have had a shot vs San Antonio.  Like I mentioned before, if Nick makes his free throws, maybe that series turns, so Shaq really could have a whole lot more titles.

Dream just has his 2.  And was never really a threat other then those two years, and 86 as a kid.  Everything else, he was just a first/second round type team.  A lot like the Atlanta Hawks would be looked at right now.  Dream himself was great, but the team around him never was.  When 94 came, they found that formula of just throwing 4 shooters around him like a pinwheel and let him kick it out for wide open shots.  They also used Otis Thorpe as a rebounder early in games to help him out on the glass.  They were a perfect blend of early and late game strategies, with plenty of flexibility.  Horry had a lot to do with that as well, bein able to play the 4, but could shoot well enough to add spacing for Dream inside. 

As dominant as Shaq was forcefully, Dream was his equal gracefully.  Footwork, quickness, moves, passing, he was terrific.  To me, he was more of a PF then true center, a lot like how Tim Duncan was built, only a little quicker then Tim ever was.  I dunno, they were both great, I don't have a problem either way, Shaq/Dream, or Dream/Shaq, but I don't think it's that big of a margin of difference.  *shrugs* 

Originally Posted by Steve Cash

DUDE was the man, how people dont talk about him AT ALL boggles my mind.
Honestly, why should anyone be talking about him? It is 2010. He was relevant 15 years ago. Not talking about him means nobody knows the work he put in?

I don't think he is underrated at all, not understanding the motivation of this thread.

Originally Posted by Steve Cash

DUDE was the man, how people dont talk about him AT ALL boggles my mind.
Honestly, why should anyone be talking about him? It is 2010. He was relevant 15 years ago. Not talking about him means nobody knows the work he put in?

I don't think he is underrated at all, not understanding the motivation of this thread.

The motivation of this thread is to point out the following: Past players are mentioned all the time, long after they have retired, as a testament to their greatness. (i.e Kareem). However, Dream is not nearly talked about enough, thus overlooking his greatness and dominance. If people bring up Kareem all the time, why cant they bring up Hakeem?...Thats all I'm trying to say. He does not get enough recognition.

Back
Top Bottom