HAKEEM THE DREAM BEING UNDERAPPRECIATED DISAPPRECAITION POST...vol. Best Ever.

I don't think he is underrated at all, not understanding the motivation of this thread.
The motivation of this thread is to point out the following: Past players are mentioned all the time, long after they have retired, as a testament to their greatness. (i.e Kareem). However, Dream is not nearly talked about enough, thus overlooking his greatness and dominance. If people bring up Kareem all the time, why cant they bring up Hakeem?...Thats all I'm trying to say. He does not get enough recognition.

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

I don't think he is underrated at all, not understanding the motivation of this thread.
The motivation of this thread is to point out the following: Past players are mentioned all the time, long after they have retired, as a testament to their greatness. (i.e Kareem). However, Dream is not nearly talked about enough, thus overlooking his greatness and dominance. If people bring up Kareem all the time, why cant they bring up Hakeem?...Thats all I'm trying to say. He does not get enough recognition.

I mean......Kareem played in like 9 NBA finals, won 6 rings, won what, 3 at UCLA, has the most recognizable/indefensible shot the game has ever seen, most points all time, played at a high level til he was almost 40, had 6 MVP's, was all NBA 10 times, was part of multiple elite all time type teams over the years, won with all 3 teams he played with college and pro.........

Why on Earth wouldn't Kareem be mentioned still?  He's had one of the 3 best career's in the history of basketball.  Period.  Point blank.  No argument, it can not be topped by more then 2 guys.  So yeah, he'll get his name in the paper still. 

Dream?  Not on that level.  You're better off talkin about him compared to Shaq. 

I mean......Kareem played in like 9 NBA finals, won 6 rings, won what, 3 at UCLA, has the most recognizable/indefensible shot the game has ever seen, most points all time, played at a high level til he was almost 40, had 6 MVP's, was all NBA 10 times, was part of multiple elite all time type teams over the years, won with all 3 teams he played with college and pro.........

Why on Earth wouldn't Kareem be mentioned still?  He's had one of the 3 best career's in the history of basketball.  Period.  Point blank.  No argument, it can not be topped by more then 2 guys.  So yeah, he'll get his name in the paper still. 

Dream?  Not on that level.  You're better off talkin about him compared to Shaq. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

I don't think it's that big of a margin of difference.  *shrugs* 
The main point...The most skilled in the modern era vs. the most dominant.  Picking between those two is apples and oranges.

I don't think it's that big of a margin of difference.  *shrugs* 
The main point...The most skilled in the modern era vs. the most dominant.  Picking between those two is apples and oranges.

To get to the Championships back in Hakeems day, you had to go through the Jazz, Charles Barkley, Jordan, Isiah and the Pistons, the Magic, but yeah just those to mention some.
Had to correct that for you, playing the Bulls and Pistons twice a year hardly constitutes having to go through them to win, quiet as it's kept he didn't even face MJ during his 2 title runs AT ALL.

You should have said he went threw Robinson, Ewing, Shaq which were the 3 most dominant centers aside from Hakeem himself then added in names like Malone, Stockton, Barkley, Drexler...

To get to the Championships back in Hakeems day, you had to go through the Jazz, Charles Barkley, Jordan, Isiah and the Pistons, the Magic, but yeah just those to mention some.
Had to correct that for you, playing the Bulls and Pistons twice a year hardly constitutes having to go through them to win, quiet as it's kept he didn't even face MJ during his 2 title runs AT ALL.

You should have said he went threw Robinson, Ewing, Shaq which were the 3 most dominant centers aside from Hakeem himself then added in names like Malone, Stockton, Barkley, Drexler...

good point man.

good point man.

144189_o.gif

144189_o.gif

And Dream is one of those players that get talked about. What exactly are you even listening to? People born in 1987 or later? People talk about him. Bill Walton calls him the 2nd best C of all time ROUTINELY. Again, I don't know what you speak of.

Again, I don't see what you see, so I will fall back. He isn't underrated. The usage of the word underrated is overrated.

And Dream is one of those players that get talked about. What exactly are you even listening to? People born in 1987 or later? People talk about him. Bill Walton calls him the 2nd best C of all time ROUTINELY. Again, I don't know what you speak of.

Again, I don't see what you see, so I will fall back. He isn't underrated. The usage of the word underrated is overrated.

Cake, I get what you're sayin about Dream didn't win more titles because of Bird/Magic/Jordan winnin most of them for a decade, but here's the thing though, Jordan didn't beat Dream.  Bird didn't beat Dream.  Magic only knocked the Dream off in the 80's. 

In the 90's, in his prime, they weren't even getting to the finals.  We all know who Mike faced each of those years, then suddenly the 2 years he was out, Dream came in and got his 2, and when Mike came back, Dream wasn't there already. 

So in a sense, the question still would remain, why didn't he get more done?  In 93 they were beat by the Sonics, whom the Suns took down.  In 96 they were beat by the Sonics again, who did go onto the finals.  So his window of truly doing anything title wise was basically 4 years.  (minus the 80's when he was a kid with Ralph Sampson)  In 92 they didn't even make the playoffs, and the unit he won the titles with was there for that 93 series with the Sonics. 

Maybe the Rockets just weren't managed properly during his time, but I truly only remember worrying about his team those 2 years they won when Mike was away.  And honestly if Nick Anderson makes a free throw, that could have chanced the entire way those Magic played the rest of that series, and we look at both Shaq, and Dream in a complete different light. 
Rockets lost the '86 Finals to the Celtics (probably the greatest team in NBA history). And in 1993, it didn't matter who won that Sonics-Rockets series because Stern ensured the Suns would make the Finals no matter what (check the tape from Game 7 of the '93 WCF).

Cake, I get what you're sayin about Dream didn't win more titles because of Bird/Magic/Jordan winnin most of them for a decade, but here's the thing though, Jordan didn't beat Dream.  Bird didn't beat Dream.  Magic only knocked the Dream off in the 80's. 

In the 90's, in his prime, they weren't even getting to the finals.  We all know who Mike faced each of those years, then suddenly the 2 years he was out, Dream came in and got his 2, and when Mike came back, Dream wasn't there already. 

So in a sense, the question still would remain, why didn't he get more done?  In 93 they were beat by the Sonics, whom the Suns took down.  In 96 they were beat by the Sonics again, who did go onto the finals.  So his window of truly doing anything title wise was basically 4 years.  (minus the 80's when he was a kid with Ralph Sampson)  In 92 they didn't even make the playoffs, and the unit he won the titles with was there for that 93 series with the Sonics. 

Maybe the Rockets just weren't managed properly during his time, but I truly only remember worrying about his team those 2 years they won when Mike was away.  And honestly if Nick Anderson makes a free throw, that could have chanced the entire way those Magic played the rest of that series, and we look at both Shaq, and Dream in a complete different light. 
Rockets lost the '86 Finals to the Celtics (probably the greatest team in NBA history). And in 1993, it didn't matter who won that Sonics-Rockets series because Stern ensured the Suns would make the Finals no matter what (check the tape from Game 7 of the '93 WCF).

^ nah Money did that in 87-88 too... However he is the only player to ever win MVP, DMVP, & FMVP all in the same year. Something I point out a few pages ago.
pimp.gif

^ nah Money did that in 87-88 too... However he is the only player to ever win MVP, DMVP, & FMVP all in the same year. Something I point out a few pages ago.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom