Has MAN failed more than succeeded?

You look at planet earth today and it is a mess with the recent russian oil spill, global warming, and obesity.

I think we have failed with all the wars and killing in the world, everything is so depressing even if you dont want it to be.

The people who think otherwise will say "hey, look at all the advances in techmology."....but material possesions are not important to me.

technology isnt just material possesions. what about medical technology that helps people?

An advance isn't necessarily a material possession, we've advanced ourselves in our knowledge and understanding and if we didn't we'd have noclue how much we were impacting the planet in the first place. All animals kill each other we just do it on a larger scale because we're the most dominant.

but raping natural resources and eating genetically modifed food is not the way humans were suppose to live....also why is sex looked so down upon?

Originally Posted by ManAmongstChildren

but raping natural resources and eating genetically modifed food is not the way humans were suppose to live....also why is sex looked so down upon?

Because our country was founded by protestants so our ideals do not fit w/ sexual exploration, also the spread of disease has made people fear sex (whichmake sense). This is why I am an advocate for comprehensive sex education. People are sexual being from birth and suppressing that natural urge only doesdamage in the long run. As for your other question, I think it depends on who you ask. If you look at it through a broad view then of course humans have madegreat discoveries, and gathered great information. This in and of itself is a success. W/o much of the technology and science you look down upon people wouldhave no idea where babies even come from, how they are formed etc. But with great knowledge and technology come great responsibility. This is where wepossibly could have failed. But at the same time we had no idea what the things we have created would do in the long run and now that we do, people arerallying for change.

Not only have we established a presence on every continent on Earth, but we put a human on the moon. Our success has been determined.

ManAmongstChildren, it's hard to tell if you are being sincere or just creating another bs thread. If you areindeed being serious with this topic, I have no problem adding my 2 cents. Man has had much success, however it's our nature to destroy ourselves. We aresmart, but we aren't as smart as we think we are.

think green.

imagine the amount of wastes on this planet. a regular paper plate takes 15 years to decompose. nasa has been throwing trash out into space for the last fewyears.

People make their own choices..as a human there is no set code of ethics (laws are made, but don't have to be followed). People can decide to do/ not do asthe please and deal with those consequences as they come. Have we failed? Of course, and we will continue to fail just as we continue to succeed. I think thedownfall is more at a personal level. As humans we've lost respect for our environment, fellow humans and environment to name a few. If we can't handlethings on a basic level then how can we think that larger scale issues will just fall nicely into place.

Who are u to say we aren't supposed to eat genetically modified foods? Humans were given the ability to learn, and therefore we developed the ideas toimprove ourselves. In the future advances in techonology will help us live longer and better lives

natural resources are useless unless someone uses them

I've been thingking about this lately too.
In reality humans haven't changed much over 2 millenium.
Yes, we have advanced technologically as a result of progressing intellectually. However, we still face the same problems as humans did 2k years ago.Starvation and lack of shelter still exists. We still kill each other. Socially we haven't advanced one bit. We have a lot of potential but humans stillcannot overcome certain natural instincts.

IMO I'd say humans are more of a failure. But at the same time I can see why one would believe otherwise. It is true that humans have come a very long wayand have done many amazing things. Just look at the Pyramids, the advancements we've made in medicine, and even the books and ideas that humans have comeup with and it's almost impossible to not call humans an amazing race. But at the same time outside of the unique human perspective, these achievementsmean nothing. Stonehenge doesn't help any other organism on the planet and discovering that the Sun was the center of the solar system had no impactoutside of our own minds. So when considering the success of humans I would leave these things out since they only serve us and if there were no humans andthese things never happened it wouldn't matter anyway. But human actions which have had an effect outside of our own race include deforestation, pollution,the continuing elimination of many plant and animal species, and that isn't including the wrongs which exercise on ourselves. So in looking at humans as acreature that is part of a global environment as well as a unique creature that exists in the whole of the universe I would say we are more of a failure. Ourgreatest accomplishments serve no other purpose than to satisfy ourselves and our worst wrongdoings hurt the Earth and everything that is unique about it.

If that "MAN" is you then yes

smokin.gif

Defnitely, we have failed. We have been selfish and only thought about the present, not regarding the future.

also why is sex looked so down upon?
You claim man is draining the Earth's natural resources, yet you're advocating more unprotected sex (protected sex involves techmology),which would create more humans.

Que?

Back
Top Bottom