Have an interview with Warner Music Group tomorrow, any tips?

I have dreamed about working at a record label my whole life, and I finally have an interview with Warner Music Group tomorrow for an internship. Any siteswith common interview questions from record labels, or any other tips from people in the biz?

Thanks dudes.

Get on their website. Know their artist roster, what the high priorities are etc. Check soundscan, check I tunes. See what albums they have in the marketplace.

Just do as much homework as you can. What department are you interviewing in?

good luck fam...

basically just show em that u want it and ull work ur $%* off for it...

Originally Posted by illphillip

Get on their website. Know their artist roster, what the high priorities are etc. Check soundscan, check I tunes. See what albums they have in the marketplace.
Agreed

Originally Posted by YouLoveMyStyle

Agreed

Agreed x 2.. Great advice..
Definitely do your homework as suggested and know everything about the label and its offerings.. I would also suggest readingup some stuff about its most immediate competition and getting some idea about current/future trends.. Mainly, just try to come across as if you're hungryand will work your ++# off!

Good luck!

tell them you're a $%%$@ and you'd rather make money than preserve an art.

that you'd sell your own mother for a nickel and that Puffy is your biggest idol.. (either that or you just plain don't like hiphop and their artists)

you'll be a shoe in!

go to the library and read tons of music industry magazines. know the industry lingo. have a plan in mind, a concrete on, that will help improve the companybecause everyone say the music industry is in bad shape but find positives and go from there. show that you can improve the bottom line

damn im jealous. lol i started late so couldnt get an app in with any record labels. from what i hear, internships for big labels is mostly grunt work so letem know u can put in work and dont mind it. lmk how it goes, im curious about time warners program

Originally Posted by tmukg21

go to the library and read tons of music industry magazines. know the industry lingo. have a plan in mind, a concrete on, that will help improve the company because everyone say the music industry is in bad shape but find positives and go from there. show that you can improve the bottom line
It's not that serious..

Go there with the knowledge you know.

It's just an internship. They will probably school YOU on what the WMG is and probably end up giving you a tour around the place, etc. It's really notthat serious. My interview at KOCH Entertainment here in Toronto, Canada was a conversation.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

And is this internship at their headquarters in NYC just at the Rockerfella Plaza.

^^^

Great attitude.

It's not that serious to you, but it clearly is to him.

Homie is talking about WMG, and you're talking Koch.

Being as informed and prepared as possible is ALWAYS the best look. Point black. Period.

That's how you wind up lining yourself up for a permanent gig. Ahem. It's the little things that will seperate you from everyone else that get noticed.Like, yo, THAT kid knows his #$+*.....

Listen to illphil folks. The man knows what he speaks of.

Good luck on that interview though. It sounds gay as hell, but seize the moment if this is what you've always dreamed of. And of course, be prepared, whichgoes without saying for any interview in any field. With those two bases covered, you should be golden.

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

Listen to illphil folks. The man knows what he speaks of.

he should...
laugh.gif
he's where they want to be...
but yea dude knows his $$%!...

^^^

Great attitude.

It's not that serious to you, but it clearly is to him.

Homie is talking about WMG, and you're talking Koch.

Being as informed and prepared as possible is ALWAYS the best look. Point black. Period.

That's how you wind up lining yourself up for a permanent gig. Ahem. It's the little things that will seperate you from everyone else that get noticed. Like, yo, THAT kid knows his #$+*.....

Thanks bud, you had a lot of good things to say. But yea, I filled up a whole sheet with info on Warner and all the artists, recent launches, profits fromlast year. (Happy to see T.I, James Blunt, Lupe Fiasco, Linkin Park, Busta, etc. on the label.) I had the interview today at 10 AM and I felt like I killed it.The intern supervisor is who interviewed me and she actually went to my school, I had a class with her when I was a freshman and she was a senior. Sherecognized me too, so we got off to a great start. I was crazy relaxed the whole time and really expressed how much I would love to start my music biz careerwith them. She said she has one more interview Thursday, but she'll let me know later that day what she has decided.
I got back from the interview,went straight to my apartment and wrote a thank you letter and sent that out, so I'm hoping like CRAZY I hear something good on Thursday. Thanks for thecomments and the effort you guys put into this thread. I'll keep you posted!

listen to IllPhil

you in NY? went to 550 Madison Avenue?

you sound like you got it nailed. what department(s)?

second interviews are usually the serious ones.besides what IP said, get familiar with music blogs. i cant stress looking @ their website enough

I'm actually in Minnesota, I went to WEA (Warner/Elektra/Atlantic) in Minneapolis. Prolly the best branch I could work with in my opinion since I'm abig Hip-Hop guy.

But yea, it felt like it went grand and I wouldn't mind if this other cat on Thursday shows up late, or not at all, or is just a dud.

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

listen to IllPhil

second interviews are usually the serious ones.besides what IP said, get familiar with music blogs. i cant stress looking @ their website enough

you work at 550 right now?

shady congrats! I'm sure you're good to go. Working in the music industry is truly exciting for those who appreciate both the actual music and thebusiness behind it...

nah...my first Sony internship was there with Legacy Records ...

thing that scares me about the industry (especially now) is the seeming lack of stability. seemed like everyday when i was interning @ Sony there'd be anew VP or something or someone leaving.

but i'm sure OP will do fine

Originally Posted by JD161616

listen to IllPhil

you work at 550 right now?

shady congrats! I'm sure you're good to go. Working in the music industry is truly exciting for those who appreciate both the actual music and the business behind it...

Thanks sir, thats exactly it, I'm extremely passionate about music because I'd like to learn to produce someday and already do some writing, butthe music biz and working with artists and things like that will be awesome and that's what I want to do now.

Shady when were you planning on telling me about this? Reguardless congrats and I really hope you get it. Tomorrows show is gonna be
pimp.gif
. I got us some
pimp.gif
too. Can't wait.

nah...my first Sony internship was there with Legacy Records ...

thing that scares me about the industry (especially now) is the seeming lack of stability. seemed like everyday when i was interning @ Sony there'd be a new VP or something or someone leaving.

but i'm sure OP will do fine

I hear ya man...times are definitely changing, but so are the jobs. The older folks just need to get with the program and adapt or they'redone...there's no room for some of the promotional tactics once used by tapes and cd's.

Back
Top Bottom