Have Jordans jumped the shark?

All the fly guys are rockin Yeezys now a days it seems.

I imagine theyll always be a hood staple but i think they might be played out in the mainstream fashion culture

I say this because i woke up this a.m to finish up some christmas shopping and noticed true blue 3s are not only sitting but are on sale! I copped 2 and i havent copped a pair of Js in probably 2 years. Shrug

What say you?

One thing I hate is when people try to slander those who collect Jays as adults.

Let them dudes cook Mayne....

For me, at 27, when I saw the same shoe come out multiple times, I was donezo

When I saw I could get just as many yambs with some $40 nikes vs $200 Jays, I was donezo

When the velocity of the shoes coming out sped up, I was donezo.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, doe... I worked in Footlocker for 5 years and got very jaded towards kicks and the way people (dudes) acted towards them. Hadn't copped a pair since 2011, or kicks in general since 2012.

Last edited:
Havent bought J's in like 5 years. I got 3 pairs that are still clean af tho that I rock here and there.

Too much of a hassle to get em and way to expensive.

I dont like wearin the same **** as everyone else either i rock what i want to not because its hot.

Dudes that buy used jordans and wear them are dumb imo.

Last edited:
Pretty much when EVERYBODY became hip to and could attain all the sought after retros the appeal died for those who didn't buy strictly for the love.

I've only bout one pair of Jordan's in my entire life.

Barely wore em so I sold them to my cousin for 100

If I happen to waltz in a store and see a pair I used to yearn for maybe I'll cop but the hassle to even get a chance to even buy the damn shoe made me say to hell with it.

fly guys?
nerd.gif

but yeah J's dead in terms of mainstream appeal. Only thing holding it alive is OVO collabs.

Last edited:
Ive had every pair ive ever wanted as a kid
I cant rock the same clothes/ kicks high school and college kids wear
Give me some roshe runs for the gym, some wingtips for work, some pajars for winter, some chukkas for fall and some loafers for the summer. :pimp:
ill rock my berkenstocks without socks before i wear some jays

im african so i can do dese tings :\

I don't know if they've jumped, because I don't follow releases that closely anymore. But I worked at a champs about 10 years ago and it seems like nothing has changed, it's just retros and oversaturtion of jordan brand in every shoe store. The jumpman logo was iconic and that's not the case in 2016, when you put it on any and everything.

One thing I hate is when people try to slander those who collect Jays as adults.

when I saw the same shoe come out multiple times, I was donezo

When I saw I could get just as many yambs with some $40 nikes from the outlet vs $200 Jays, I was donezo

When the velocity of the shoes and prices sped up, I was donezo.

EDITED

to add too. I still have my royal foams OG i think i paid 170 retail still damn near brand new and they already been retro i think twice and now what they cost $250 before tax? and i bet the quality hasnt improved. I would also buy clothes to match them so you looking at over $300 for a fit and kicks more than my car payment and i drive a 2014 benz :smh:

I dont knock people who still cop tho. Even people who waste they hard earned money on yeezy shoes :smh:

didnt the space jams just come in in like 2010?

Last edited:
Galaxy Foams and Yeezy 2s were the one two punch that ended sneaker collecting as it was in the past.

Once they started adding more and more hoops to jump through to make things fair it was the beginning of the end.

Every now and then there is a color way that is a must have for me like the upcoming black and gold 4s... and in reality thats how its always been. You buy some shoes everynow and then. But they've gouged the prices and come out with a new shoe every week so it has definitely lost most of the appeal as a hobby.

Only this past year I got back into Jordan's, and I think I'm out again. I'm not a huge fan of the Yeezys either. I'm leaning more towards comfort these days. I really wanna try a pair of ultraboost but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

But I think Jordan's will always be a popular stable in the shoe "game"

Last edited:
All the fly guys are rockin Yeezys now a days it seems.

I imagine theyll always be a hood staple but i think they might be played out in the mainstream fashion culture

I say this because i woke up this a.m to finish up some christmas shopping and noticed true blue 3s are not only sitting but are on sale! I copped 2 and i havent copped a pair of Js in probably 2 years. Shrug

What say you?

u think Jordans jumped da shark cuz 3's got overpriced 100%?

nah.

i remember when 94' Jordan III's were able to be had for $20 discount bins tie wrapped together.

Yeezys are for da beasts that take their fashion cues from social media.

Adidas is doing an amazing work by plugging in the right people as brand ambassador and driving a strategic hype, this does not mean the product carries the same weight as Air Jordans did once upon a time. They had to do something to combat the weak Adidas Basketball sales/product at the end of the day :lol:, they don't have the same luck in cultivating the right marketing hype with the right ballers (Those huge decade long contracts they are dishing in hopes of getting the next MJ or Lebron have been failures for the most part). Besides Harden, D. Rose signing was an epic fail and many others aren't worth remembering since T-Mac, Iverson and Kobe. Therefore, the goal is to focus in general lifestyle and they appear to be either leading or tied with Nike in terms of influence. The facts is Nike got the slush fund to innovate, ridiculous amount of talent pool and obvious huge market dominance. Granted, it is starting to chip away a little.

I get hype & trend is cool. But that is what the Yeezy's are, just a trend. You don't get the same value as buying an Air Jordan back in the day. Besides being a really beast shoe ascetically, the connection with Jordan and his massive achievements propels Air Jordans into a different stratosphere. It is super hard to fathom let alone accomplish. But Air Jordan died when Michael Retired, that is why the retro game is huge (like nostalgia).

Adidas did poach the great designers from Nike and most of these "boost" technology was actually a Nike concept, with its roots at Nike Lab. One time for that :lol:. Those dudes are getting paid based on the assumption that they are the next Tinker Hatfield. Adidas did settle for like $10million...But they got Yeezy out of it. :pimp:

For the most part, Yeezy is trash. No hate :lol:. I do have a pair, so no salt. The corny trend followers are creating that bubble, I would bet that it will burst. I could also be wrong. At the end of the day, the culture needs a healthy competition and we need options. Props to Ronnie Fieg @ Kith, he looks like the future at the moment. The homie needs to create his own shoe from the bottom up, I am sure he will do well (he is doing a disservice to himself if he continues the partner route). If he is about the money, he will get bought out. If he is about the culture and going for that legacy, he needs Kith to be a stand alone brand with its own products (both clothing and sneakers). Shout out to Concept as well in Boston, they are doing it as well.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nike-adidas-settlement-idUSKBN0OP2GL20150609

^^

Last edited:
Im sorry to say but i really think Adidas jumped over the Jumpan

Excluding yeezys, Adidas has been putting out differnt variety of shoes that attracts me.

JB puts the same shoe every year or 2,, perfect example, Banned 1s were just released a few months ago, now theres news there coming back out next year with very minimal difference.

Adidas on the other hand, keeps making great looking shoes

Boost, NMD and a lot more.

depends on the individuals style to me.

like a certain way of rocking jordans has jumped the shark for me. emphasis on for me.

for example dj envy....THAT way of rocking jordans is played out to me. its too easy and its everywhere. that dtlr jimmy jazz outfit

but when i see someone rocking casual clothes...like non hype beast clothes...could be a sweater and some jeans...and they got on 4s or 5s or 6s....thats still looks cool to me.

like this

View media item 2264585View media item 2264586

same with boost. if u got that hype beast fit i wouldn't eem look in that direction because i see it all the time.

when its unexpected tho its unique.

the classic jordans 1 thru 14....i don't think they will ever get played out.

im sick of seeing yeezy boosts.

Cool story bro time.

Back in the day I used to get fire quality , good looking sneakers on sale, always.

Then the internet and celebrity worshipping took over and dudes more concerned with looking cute than the players, history or performance took over the game.

Nike responded by disrespecting as many classics in as many disgraceful ways as possible,  to cash in on the rush.

When yeezy jumped to adi I thought

" my god, wouldnt it be sweet if he dragged all the fashion boyz away from athletic shoes again... I could go back to just buying stuff I liked AT A REASONABLE PRICE"

What happened tho was, I bought the og color of ultraboosts when they dropped and they had me looking sideways at my nike retros from a comfort and style standpoint. Then JB upped retro prices into the stratosphere. 

I walked in to footlocker and looked at the tb 3s.... I showed my girl the price and she said "  eeew those are old man shoes, too expensive" .

Nike better remaster the price when I can get an ultraboost and an ultra bounce together for less money than a retro 16.
laugh.gif

Not only would I get less wear from the 16s, my feet would feel crap while they yellowed away
laugh.gif

Now adis performance bball is crushing nikes for the most part.

I'll always love j's but ill be damned if I pay what theyre asking right now

As older shoe buyer i hate the raffles and other nonsense

That system was broken the day it was announced

Hopefully the pick ups will be easier

i just buy what I like....at retail. I haven't bought Jordans in years and probably wont.

I'm more into lifestyle shoes nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom