Have you ever taught yourself something? (guitar, piano, math, programming, web design, etc.)

Describe the process. What were your methods? What motivated you?

I "learned computers" on my own through tinkering with my old system when I was little. Doing my own repairs, upgrades and not being afraid to explore. Learning cars little by little the same way. I'm getting to the point where I dont really like for anyone to touch my car except for myself or my mechanic/homey that I've known for a while.

I want to learn how to play my bass, but it's tough sitting there playing notes that dont sound like anything
laugh.gif
 I thought about teaching myself all the scales and learning how to recognize them by ear. That would probably speed things up.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Describe the process. What were your methods? What motivated you?

I "learned computers" on my own through tinkering with my old system when I was little. Doing my own repairs, upgrades and not being afraid to explore. Learning cars little by little the same way. I'm getting to the point where I dont really like for anyone to touch my car except for myself or my mechanic/homey that I've known for a while.

I want to learn how to play my bass, but it's tough sitting there playing notes that dont sound like anything
laugh.gif
 I thought about teaching myself all the scales and learning how to recognize them by ear. That would probably speed things up.

Learn a few tabs pf songs, and go from there.
"My Girl" by the Temptations is an easy song to learn for a beginner.

I tried to teach myself guitar. Its just too hard to stay motivated and don't know where to start

Taught "myself" calculus and most the pre-requisite classes before hand.
Back story... Went to a university had full time work and a full time school schedule and i got a d in college algebra... i knew i was better then that but time wouldn't allow it.. i then took a couple years off and went to a different college with a new field in mind... they wanted me to take 3 courses, before i touched calculus... i said f that and went to clep those courses... Funny thing is i went to clep the pre-requisite course for Calculus 1 (pre-calculus) and i passed by 1 question, 2 weeks before the start of the semester. Well i clep'd the wrong class (clep'd business calculus which is exactly like Calc 1... made that mistake because they had different labels on the courses of where i clep'd the class to where i was going to school at) and i had 1 week to study and clep the actually one... I did it and i felt great... I strolled right through calc 1 because i already studied everything and now i'm in calculus 2 stuggling. (Only because i didn't study ahead... i'm getting back on my grind now)

For those wondering how i did it... i checked out the clep books, videos by aided video instructions and calculus life saver.

Maybe this would help someone in a similar position..

I would love to learn about fixing my car by my lonesome but i don't have the time right now... if i end up buying a place to live i would more then likely try to teach myself flooring or cabinet skill trade to fix it up...

I taught myself how to Drift...

Spoiler [+]
...in Gran Turismo.         

desent wrote:
Taught "myself" calculus and most the pre-requisite classes before hand.
Back story... Went to a university had full time work and a full time school schedule and i got a d in college algebra... i knew i was better then that but time wouldn't allow it.. i then took a couple years off and went to a different college with a new field in mind... they wanted me to take 3 courses, before i touched calculus... i said f that and went to clep those courses... Funny thing is i went to clep the pre-requisite course for Calculus 1 (pre-calculus) and i passed by 1 question, 2 weeks before the start of the semester. Well i clep'd the wrong class (clep'd business calculus which is exactly like Calc 1... made that mistake because they had different labels on the courses of where i clep'd the class to where i was going to school at) and i had 1 week to study and clep the actually one... I did it and i felt great... I strolled right through calc 1 because i already studied everything and now i'm in calculus 2 stuggling. (Only because i didn't study ahead... i'm getting back on my grind now)

For those wondering how i did it... i checked out the clep books, videos by aided video instructions and calculus life saver.

Maybe this would help someone in a similar position..

I would love to learn about fixing my car by my lonesome but i don't have the time right now... if i end up buying a place to live i would more then likely try to teach myself flooring or cabinet skill trade to fix it up...

That has to feel so rewarding. I love the feeling of getting in my car and driving after I complete a tune-up, new brakes, or replace a part or whatever. Rewarding experiences.

I'm studying math right now as well... Nothing close to calculus though.. Just basic stuff that I should know, but I dont. I think a lot of people overlook math and write it off because of calculators and technology, but I really want to get good at it. Formulas and equations are intriguing to me.

taught myself workout exercises lol like Squatting, Deadlifting, Benching, etc.

Before that I never worked out in my life was a blob

If you ever played Real Time Strategy games aka RTS games on PC. Those things are hard to learn with all the hotkeys, learning how to read the map, which units counter which, etc. Taught myself how to do that after losing bunch of times online.

taught myself how to master 2k12 nba. Currently teaching myself how to use the MJ/Biggie/Jay Z technique for recording my music....

About to teach myself how to count cards tonight
pimp.gif

I need more income than I'm currently getting.

I taught myself how to play FIFA.

There was almost nothing in the OG FIFA 2008 rule book. Then year by year they would add things to the manual that most people didn't even know were in the game the years before.

these responses got me rollin... hahaha

i taught myself a few things that i'm proud of...

1. using my left hand (did it for basketball)

2. moderate amount of spanish spanish (a lot of practice working at a hispanic dominated mall. lost it after a couple years of not using it)

3. alot of technology modding. guides helped alot, but now its to a point where i can do things on my own. did the same way as OP.

4. hustle... might sound kinda wack, but i taught myself to take money i have and invest it buying bulk, or looking for the smallest ways to make a gain on my dollar.

one reason i forced myself to learn certain thiings is b/c they bothered me mentally. they festered on my mind, and i made sure that i acted on them whenever i could. my mind wonders alot, but its constructive wondering.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

taught myself how to play craps, and get really good at sportsbetting... I mean truly understanding the odds and putting yourself in the position to be profitable on a monthly basis

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I taught myself how to play FIFA.

There was almost nothing in the OG FIFA 2008 rule book. Then year by year they would add things to the manual that most people didn't even know were in the game the years before.
Haven't played since ps2 was fun but never got the hang of it. You watch much soccer? I don't know *%$% about soccer, but this sounds like something imma do soon

taught myself how to swim. was tired of going to the beach and only bein in shallow water so i overcame my fears and learned

Originally Posted by ricky409

these responses got me rollin... hahaha

i taught myself a few things that i'm proud of...

1. using my left hand (did it for basketball)

2. moderate amount of spanish spanish (a lot of practice working at a hispanic dominated mall. lost it after a couple years of not using it)

3. alot of technology modding. guides helped alot, but now its to a point where i can do things on my own. did the same way as OP.

4. hustle... might sound kinda wack, but i taught myself to take money i have and invest it buying bulk, or looking for the smallest ways to make a gain on my dollar.

one reason i forced myself to learn certain thiings is b/c they bothered me mentally. they festered on my mind, and i made sure that i acted on them whenever i could. my mind wonders alot, but its constructive wondering.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
mikan drills and actually using my left in games and shooting around made my left become perfect
pimp.gif

i'm ambidextrous in terms of writing but i'm teaching myself to rely on my left hand more in everyday life.

Skateboarding while with my friends.
Driving

Fighting

Call of Duty 
pimp.gif

Enhanced my keystroke speed.

PC assembly and troubleshooting.
Bought an outdated A+ book and looked up what change since the book's release. Feels good to self pace yourself and learn from text.

piano

my grandma taught me the first bar of Canon by Pachelbel.
Had some old piano book in the house and taught myself to read music.

finished canon after 6 years. haha

Back
Top Bottom