HBO: "Watchmen"...Season 1 Discussion...Season 2 Up in the Air... :)

I’ve never read any of the graphic novel. Only seen the 2009 movie, which I really liked. So this story takes place in current day, as a continuation of the events from the movie yes? So Rorshach the “superhero” was killed, Ozymandias did some shady ****, Dr. Manhattan let it happen, the comedian is dead, and the rest of the watchmen are sort of in and out of fighting crime?

we gonna see some people with actual super powers or is it strictly gonna be focused on the political alternate reality of the story? Not to sound shallow, but I’m more interested in the more practical dilemmas that people with super powers face, rather than cops just being cops in an alternate historical america. That’s the reason I liked Umbrella academy so much. Super powerful humans with real life problems other than “oh no, gotta save the world from these bad guys!”

ya feel me?

I’ve never read any of the graphic novel. Only seen the 2009 movie, which I really liked. So this story takes place in current day, as a continuation of the events from the movie yes? So Rorshach the “superhero” was killed, Ozymandias did some shady ****, Dr. Manhattan let it happen, the comedian is dead, and the rest of the watchmen are sort of in and out of fighting crime?

we gonna see some people with actual super powers or is it strictly gonna be focused on the political alternate reality of the story? Not to sound shallow, but I’m more interested in the more practical dilemmas that people with super powers face, rather than cops just being cops in an alternate historical america. That’s the reason I liked Umbrella academy so much. Super powerful humans with real life problems other than “oh no, gotta save the world from these bad guys!”

ya feel me?

It takes place 30 years after the comic, not the movie. In the comics, Ozymandias creates a giant squid alien creature that destroys most of Manhattan whereas in the movie they scrapped that creature and instead framed Dr. Manhattan for the attack (hence the transdimensional squid rain). Rorschach doesn't have superpowers, only Dr. Manhattan. Dr. Manhattan is almost godlike but not quite. At some point he's going to return. It's presumed that he travelled throughout the universe for the past couple of decades. The play that Ozymandias is working on sounds like it's going to be about Dr. Manhattan. The very nature of Watchmen is political. The reason Ozymandias created that squid creature was to unite the world against a major threat to take their minds off of a engaging in nuclear war. Dr. Manhattan let's it happen because he's objective and understands Ozymandias logic. The only one who doesn't accept it is Rorschach who sends his journal to a right wing fringe publication. The journal reveals the truth about Ozymandias plot.

I know Laurie/Silk Spectre is in this. I don't know about Nite Owl. The police use his technology which could imply that he sold it and probably made some money. Considering that most of the Watchmen were middle aged in the comic, Nite Owl might be dead by the show's timeline.

To this day the Leftovers is one of my favorite shows, it got progressively better each season. Will be tuned in every week.

Also loved the ending of this one, dude in the wheelchair is interesting.

Sopranos
Newsroom
Ballers
Entourage
The leftovers (still confused :lol:)
GoT
Big love
Carnivale
I can keep going
And I’m not saying it will be trash
Just pointing out how wack hbo series finale’s be
Well first off there's a couple whack shows to start with like Ballers. Didnt even know Ballers was done.

Newsroom was cancelled I heard. So nit really the season finale they intended

HBO has The Wire and Oz and Boardwalk Empire. Cant care much about thw rest.

If we look at it that way and include whack sgiws Showtime has more shows with bad finales.

Last edited:
HBO got the Veep finale right. And although I hated The Sopranos finale at first, I grew to appreciate it over the years. The Wire finale was great too.

both endings for the leftovers and the sopranos were outstanding imo.

the endings for ballers and entourage were underwhelming but pretty much in keeping with the vibe of the show so i wasn’t surprised or disappointed.

hopefully silicon valley ends well.

you wanna talk about failed series endings, let’s put dexter in the upper echelon of that category (yes, i know it’s not hbo). the last episode was the rotten pimple on the stinky rear end of the entire last season.

Series premiere was straight fire. Rare is that balance of satisfaction, curiosity and hype.

It answered nothing...this shouldn't have been so satisfying. Hype kept happening, I shouldn't have this many questions. The touchstones and Easter eggs to OG Watchmen were so clever, this shouldn't this entertaining.

Pshhhhh, my body ready.

on today’s episode of the whites are at it again..
658DB1C2-CF43-472A-9052-3D55250A3007.jpeg

Loved the 1st episode. I usually don't watch shows until I can binge the whole season, but I will definetly be keeping up with this one. As a fan of the 2009 directors cut of watchmen this show feels like a natural transition into the same world 30 years later ( I know this show is a sequal to the graphic novel and not the movie. )
I saw someone mention a theory ( that kinda made sense ) elsewhere that there was a picture of the actor Robert Redford in the episode on a poster in the background implying that at some point he was president of the United States. And that he approved reparations for black people. Which would make sense given how the showed how affluent black people were portrayed in the episode. When Huey was giving a lecture to that elementary class there was a boy who asked her if she had received redforations ( Redford + reparations = redforations ). And then her son attacked that boy because he perceived that comment to have racial connotations.

Back
Top Bottom