HDTV and Blu-ray help!

So i have this problem when i bought a blu-ray player from costco yesterday and i had a question about the image quality. I was in bestbuy the other day andwas really intrigued by the image quality of blu-ray. When i saw how the image was at bestbuy i was sold and decided to buy one and when i get home ididn't get the quality as if i was in the store. What might be the problem? I really want the quality of the store to be seen in my home. I'm using asamsung 40" LCD and a sony bx1 player. I already set up the blu-ray player by an hdmi cable and don't know what else to do. I heard something aboutusing a calibration disk? Any help is appreciated.

Best Buy uses the best TV they got to make show people are blown away by the picture

their TVs are also 120hz

yours is 60 prolly

Nice %#% TV. One thats been calibrated and tailored to your home environment and not all blu ray movies are created equal. Some look WAY nicer than others

The HDTV is from Best Buy and the Blu-ray player is from Costco. Just in case that matters.

you may also want to verify that your TV supports 24p, which is the native format for Blu-ray movies.

if your TV doesn't support 24p, you'll never get the image quality you saw in the store.

Originally Posted by KeVeNMaYnE

Best Buy uses the best TV they got to make show people are blown away by the picture

their TVs are also 120hz

yours is 60 prolly

not quite. they aren't pulling a bait-and-switch. they sell the TVs they display, the model numbers match etc. when you tell a salesperson "I wantthat TV" they can't give you something different. The thing is the TVs are setup in an ideal environment to premium settings. I've never actuallyused a calibration disk because I got a "discount" HDTV and a PS3 and my TV lacks a lot of calibration features but I would recommend you do someresearch to find which are the best. Professionals tweak and adjust the display sets to show optimal levels and you can pay someone to come to your house anddo it but it'll almost always be way overpriced. Visit a tech message board like AVS or something to get better details on calibrating your set.

Originally Posted by osubass1

you may also want to verify that your TV supports 24p, which is the native format for Blu-ray movies.

if your TV doesn't support 24p, you'll never get the image quality you saw in the store.

whats 24p?

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

whats 24p?

24p is the video format used that runs at 24 frames per second. this is the native format for Blu-ray movies.

whats 24p?

24p is the video format used that runs at 24 frames per second. this is the native format for Blu-ray movies.
How do you find out if your TV supports 24p?

you might have seen the automotion plus or motion flow technology in some of the 120hz LCD tvs. those TVs give the movie an effect as if it is gliding alongthe screen with a depth perception. it has been noted as the "soap opera effect" on several websites. that is why you dont get what you see at thestore.

Originally Posted by JPZx

whats 24p?

yea i wanna know that too.

Originally Posted by JPZx

whats 24p?

yea i wanna know that too.
When I press the "display" button on my TV remote it says 1080p/24p on the upper left of the screen. That's how I found out. Maybeyou can do that.

Currently, only 120hz TVs (and the 240hz XBR7) support 24hz Blu-rays because 120 is a multiple of 24. I think there used to be TVs in the past that had a 72hzmode for 24p movies. I don't know if there are still TVs like that anymore.

Also, when you watch movies in the theatres, most projectors are running at 48hz, so you are watching the movie in a natural fidelity.

Tv might have been professionally calibrated and not all blu-ray movies are created equal. Try watchng Dark Knight or Wanted. Then make your assessment

the term quality is very subjective... it can be colors. motion blur, contrast

what is the exact problem you are having with the TV?

and what is the model of your tv?

if you want to be on par with the best buy displays, there's nothing much you can do but buy a new TV

My HDTV is new i bought it on black friday. I bought a Samsung 40" LCD 5 Series 1080P. My exact problem is that when you look at the tv's at the storeit looks more 3-D-%$* like the picture is more in dept, maybe the term was used as "soap opera effect" My tv is not 120hz for sure but i don'tknow how much it is.

I don't think it's 120hz you want for the 3d-like images, but the set probably needs a calibration specific to your room. Your ambient light/wallcolors/"shine" ie wood floor vs carpet differ from Best Buy's store.
Was the display a plasma? I find that plasmas usually give more depth than LCD, but that's just a personal opinion.

Originally Posted by MiteeMark

My HDTV is new i bought it on black friday. I bought a Samsung 40" LCD 5 Series 1080P. My exact problem is that when you look at the tv's at the store it looks more 3-D-%$* like the picture is more in dept, maybe the term was used as "soap opera effect" My tv is not 120hz for sure but i don't know how much it is.
The tv you saw probably had a higher contrast ratio and was 120hz. The tv you bought, is probably the 500 series(there are a few different 5series, it would help to specify which one). It has I believe like a 20,000:1 contrast ratio, if u saw a samsung on display it was either the 650 or higher,which have 50,000:1. IT also prolly had the 120 hz which would also affect what you are seeing. Also what blu ray did you try to play on your tv?

Alright well I got some opinions on this but more wouldn't hurt..

I have a 1080i Hi-Def 50" Sony TV..will Blu-Ray still look phenominal?

Back
Top Bottom