HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

i have a question about resolution (not sure if it applies in this thread but it is an HDTV topic i suppose)

i have a 24" monitor with 1920x1200 resolution. when i watch blu-ray movies, there are black bars at the top and bottom and the picture looks amazing.but, when i play my 360, it looks like the image is slightly stretched to fit the whole monitor and as a result, the picture doesn't look quite as smoothwhen compared to my friends setup, who has an HDTV with 1920x1080 resolution.

can anyone explain why this is?

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

i have a question about resolution (not sure if it applies in this thread but it is an HDTV topic i suppose)

i have a 24" monitor with 1920x1200 resolution. when i watch blu-ray movies, there are black bars at the top and bottom and the picture looks amazing. but, when i play my 360, it looks like the image is slightly stretched to fit the whole monitor and as a result, the picture doesn't look quite as smooth when compared to my friends setup, who has an HDTV with 1920x1080 resolution.

it all comes down to OAR (Original aspect ratio)

aspect ratio is the ratio of width / height (in pixels)... your monitor w/ a 1920x1200 resolution has an aspect ratio of 1.6:1... a HDTV w/ 1920x1080resolution has an aspect ratio of 1.78:1. Most films I have noticed are shot in 1.85:1, 2:35:1 or 2.40:1. These ratios mean that an image is ___ times aswide as it is high (ex. 1.85:1 means that the image is 1.85 times wide as it is high).

But to put this simply, because these films are shot in aspect ratios wider than the actual HDTV, the picture is "reduced in size" to fit the widthon the screen thus causing a zoomed out image and letterboxing (black bars top and bottom). The letterboxing is needed to fit the image onto the screenwithout distortion.

I don't have a 360 or PS3, but I assume that these game systems output images as 1080p. It sounds like you play games on your monitor w/ the 1920x1200resolution (1.6:1 AR). And you are right when you feel that the image is "stretched" and not as clear, due to the differences in aspect ratio. Nowif the 360 could output in 16:10 resolutions, then it would be perfect for your monitor, but I don't think it does.

Originally Posted by RocDaMike11

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

i have a 24" monitor with 1920x1200 resolution. when i watch blu-ray movies, there are black bars at the top and bottom and the picture looks amazing. but, when i play my 360, it looks like the image is slightly stretched to fit the whole monitor and as a result, the picture doesn't look quite as smooth when compared to my friends setup, who has an HDTV with 1920x1080 resolution.

it all comes down to OAR (Original aspect ratio)

aspect ratio is the ratio of width / height (in pixels)... your monitor w/ a 1920x1200 resolution has an aspect ratio of 1.6:1... a HDTV w/ 1920x1080 resolution has an aspect ratio of 1.78:1. Most films I have noticed are shot in 1.85:1, 2:35:1 or 2.40:1. These ratios mean that an image is ___ times as wide as it is high (ex. 1.85:1 means that the image is 1.85 times wide as it is high).

But to put this simply, because these films are shot in aspect ratios wider than the actual HDTV, the picture is "reduced in size" to fit the width on the screen thus causing a zoomed out image and letterboxing (black bars top and bottom). The letterboxing is needed to fit the image onto the screen without distortion.

I don't have a 360 or PS3, but I assume that these game systems output images as 1080p. It sounds like you play games on your monitor w/ the 1920x1200 resolution (1.6:1 AR). And you are right when you feel that the image is "stretched" and not as clear, due to the differences in aspect ratio. Now if the 360 could output in 16:10 resolutions, then it would be perfect for your monitor, but I don't think it does.

that is the most thorough, complete, and correct explanation i think i've ever read on this site. well done.

I had the 50" plasma + harmon kardon 6.1 going when i lived in Holland.

Now that I'm back in canada I just bought a simple 42" LCD w/o surround sound

looking for a 40 sumthing inch for the room, LCD, dont plan on spending more than a grand

can someone reccomend me some stuff?

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

looking for a 40 sumthing inch for the room, LCD, dont plan on spending more than a grand

can someone reccomend me some stuff?
my new LG 42" LCD HDTV1080p was $1100 Canadian
pimp.gif

anybody who watches blue ray movies on their PS3, what settings do you guys have it on? I have a 32" Sony Bravia LCD HDTV 720p, capable of playing 1080p

Originally Posted by TimelessFlight

anybody who watches blue ray movies on their PS3, what settings do you guys have it on? I have a 32" Sony Bravia LCD HDTV 720p, capable of playing 1080p

for a 40in LCD for under $1000 cop a 5 or 6 series Samsung w/out the TOC. I got a 40in 5 series and it's nice....

nice video ^^

NT - whats a good home theater in a box for about $500 ??? any recommendations ??? I got a samsung touch of color LCD in a mid size game room

thanks

Just got my Dell Studio XPS laptop last night, it comes with an HDMI outlet, I unplugged the hdmi cable from my bluray player and plugged it into my laptop,visuals came through right away.
Tried doing it again today but nothing came through, plugged it in then nothing, I even restarted the computer with the HDMI attached, can anyone possibly helpme out with this?

Originally Posted by monday22

nice video ^^

NT - whats a good home theater in a box for about $500 ??? any recommendations ??? I got a samsung touch of color LCD in a mid size game room

thanks

you could piece together a better setup if u stretch the budget

Hey guys, so I need a TV (Literally, I gave my old one to my parents) and I could use some recommendations. I want a 52" and I'm looking to spendaround $15-1600. I've seen at Sears a Samsung 52LNA550 for $1259 and a 52LNA580 at the BB across the street for $1300. I'm just a little concernedabout getting a 60HZ because I hear the difference when compared to 120HZ is noticeable. I saw Frys had a LN52A630 special for $1500 this week and it fallswithin my price range and is 120HZ, but opinions are welcome and needed haha.

Also, I'm trying to cop a home theather in a box for $3-400. My local BB also had an Open Box Samsung HT-TZ512T for $300 .I'm a little hesitantafter reading reviews but if any of you have first hand experience or any other recommendations, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Thanks NT!

i have a 32 inch samsung 720p HDTV,will 1080p HDMI cable would work with my tv no difference than a 730p wire? in picture quality.....

i know the best HDMI cable cost like $100+ what do you guys think of a cheaper one, but a good one not that expensive....

To: Storm2006

Buy the Samsung a630. This is the best deal overall, great TV havent seen many go bad. {Yea there is a difference between 120hz and 60hz, but what you neverhave you wont miss..word of advice for future purchases}. Also, i personally would not buy the Samsung HT System. I'd save a bit more and get a Yamaha, buti mean this decision more than anything you have to determine on your needs...and how long you plan on keeping the system...

To: The Maverick 41

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...+hdmi&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1210982227965

And tell them you saw them advertised at 30% off..see if that gets you anymore off.

nice video ^^

thanks
im with him, i only have a budget of 500 so in a box whats the best i can get (using tv speakers right now so anything is an upgrade)

Originally Posted by Storm2006

Also, I'm trying to cop a home theather in a box for $3-400. My local BB also had an Open Box Samsung HT-TZ512T for $300 .I'm a little hesitant after reading reviews but if any of you have first hand experience or any other recommendations, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Trash..

you won't get any kind of midbass out of those little cube speakers

htib's usually suck..best thing to do is piece something together

Originally Posted by OneLifeLoveKing

nice video ^^

thanks
im with him, i only have a budget of 500 so in a box whats the best i can get (using tv speakers right now so anything is an upgrade)
This is the best i can come up with...

onkyo 506 299 http://www.amazon.com/Onk...ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

the speaker company p5 bookshelf 69.99 http://www.thespeakercomp...Speaker-Pair-P42C37.aspx

the speaker company asw 8 inch sub 99.99 http://www.thespeakercomp...-8-Subwoofer-P61C17.aspx

that's probably the best you'll do for <$500

Looking to get a TV for my room soon. My budget is around $500-$600. What's the best bang for the buck? I don't have a clue about TVs. I wanna clamp iton my wall. Also looking into a PS3 so I can start up a blu-ray collection. I saw a couple TVs that looked decent at walmart but I decided to run to NT to hearsome feedback. Thanks.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by The Maverick 41

i have a 32 inch samsung 720p HDTV,will 1080p HDMI cable would work with my tv no difference than a 730p wire? in picture quality.....

i know the best HDMI cable cost like $100+ what do you guys think of a cheaper one, but a good one not that expensive....
Go to monoprice.com and get a $3 cable. You will get a better picture and sound with the hdmi cable. I think the 720p one you're referring tois the component cable.

Originally Posted by TimelessFlight

You mean 1080i right?

Originally Posted by That Kid Daniel

Looking to get a TV for my room soon. My budget is around $500-$600. What's the best bang for the buck? I don't have a clue about TVs. I wanna clamp it on my wall. Also looking into a PS3 so I can start up a blu-ray collection. I saw a couple TVs that looked decent at walmart but I decided to run to NT to hear some feedback. Thanks.
pimp.gif
What size? I assume the largest you can get? Well if so, there are some really good deals on 32" LCDs @ places like BBY, Conns,Fry's...and in this size alot TV specs are generic. Of course you will have your 1080p 32" LCD, but those are gonna run you over that budget...not bymuch though...and then there are the really cheap 37"-40" LCD's....they are out there...
With your budget =
If you get a 32" LCD get a: Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, or[ Insignia for cheap..]
37" LCD: Insignia, or Toshiba. Samsungs are a bit over what you want to pay.
40" LCD: disposable TV get the best deal.

*also i rather have a 5.1 over a 2.1 any day. Unless i have a room that is 7x7...
laugh.gif
...and even then..hahaha...

Back
Top Bottom