HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

Thanks for the info deff stay away from the sound bar..and no I'm not on a budget just want good sound..didn't know if I should stick wit samsungeverything or possibly there's a better surround out there

Originally Posted by osubass1

Originally Posted by Gmills23

Anyone got experience with surround sound with HDMI cord vs a Digital Optical?

optical cannot support the HD sound formats.

Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS Master Audio cannot be transmitted through optical audio. you must use HDMI 1.3.

The streams sent over an optical or coaxial audio cable are encoded to either Dolby digital or DTS to get true surround. BUT, you'll need a decoder to be able to decode these streams into their respective channels. If your receiver doesn't have dd or dts decoders then you'll only get 2.1 channel audio. Left, right, and sub.
that's not what you said originally. you said that optical and coax cannot support surround. what you're saying here is that if your receiver doesn't support it, then you won't get surround.

I know
laugh.gif
whoops
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by superman1007

Thanks for the info deff stay away from the sound bar..and no I'm not on a budget just want good sound..didn't know if I should stick wit samsung everything or possibly there's a better surround out there
No budget? you sure?.i could recommend some $10,000 b&w floor standers
laugh.gif

appreciate the quick reply. ^ i'm just tryna see what's the best bang for the buck. I'm planning on getting a 40 inch maybe a little bigger. mybudget is around $800-900. Planning on putting the tv on my wall also.

Somebody school me on 120hz. Was walking down the lcd tv wall at Walmart last night,when all of a sudden this scene in the Transformers jumped out at me. Nowof course the same scene was on every tv,this is why it caught my eye. It was a Vizo 55 inch 120 hz. Compared to the rest of the tv's the 120 hz lookedlike live tv blew my mind. School a brother.

So I am in the market to get a HDTV. I haven't look at this whole thread (I am work right now) but want to ask a question.

I am in the market to get a small HDTV (32 inch) and was wondering if it was worth it to get a good brand. I want a Sony with 1080p but I know (at least Ithink) that the clarity of the HD can only get so good on a small screen. Should I invest in getting a good brand or is getting a Vizio a better bargain?Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

So I am in the market to get a HDTV. I haven't look at this whole thread (I am work right now) but want to ask a question.

I am in the market to get a small HDTV (32 inch) and was wondering if it was worth it to get a good brand. I want a Sony with 1080p but I know (at least I think) that the clarity of the HD can only get so good on a small screen. Should I invest in getting a good brand or is getting a Vizio a better bargain? Thanks!
Don't get Vizio...

http://www.bestbuy.com/si...uct&id=1218064394100

Panasonic for $450
pimp.gif

^^^Thanks. But what about the 1080p thing? Is it true you can't get a true 1080p resolution on a 32"? Or is the contrast ratio more important. Inoticed that the link you gave me with the VIERA has a 10,000:1 native contrast.

720p and 1080p will not view much different on 32in and below screens.

and glad to see you're off the vizio train nnarum

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

^^^Thanks. But what about the 1080p thing? Is it true you can't get a true 1080p resolution on a 32"? Or is the contrast ratio more important. I noticed that the link you gave me with the VIERA has a 10,000:1 native contrast.
Contrast ratios are moot. I'd go 720p for reasons as MexicanSoul posted too. No need to pay more for something you won't actually notice.I switched from a 40" 1080p LCD to a 42" 720p Plasma. Can't tell a difference besides the fact that the colors pop more and motion is better. Butthat's just because of the tech used in the set.

Good stuff guys......appreciate the help. I guess you pay for what you get. I just want to get something worth my money and really the only thing I plan ondoing is hooking up Apple TV to it and stream all these videos that I have ripped on my iTunes. Kind of silly talking about all this HD when I am only going towatch something that is generally should be watched at 600 pixals on a computer.

^ i have a cheapo LCD TV i bought a few year ago ....it does it job, all i did is connected to my PS3/XBOX 360, stream movies to it ....i didn't evenbother connecting my cable line to the TV
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

Question: I have an LCD monitor from my computer that I don't use anymore, I want to put it in my kitchen. It just a display, no tuner and I don't want to buy another cable box for it. Do you think I could use a splitter on the cable coax from the wall and connect it to one of those DTV converters or some other kind of converter and use that. I can run the audio through some small speaker I have. Would that work?
Did you get it working?

And can someone give me a backlight link? Like for the lamp, clamp and bulb?
yeah it worked with the DTV converter

thinking about replacing the Living Room TV
laugh.gif
...and yah i dont reallyneed a new TV
embarassed.gif
....just one of those days

Originally Posted by no vert

Somebody school me on 120hz. Was walking down the lcd tv wall at Walmart last night,when all of a sudden this scene in the Transformers jumped out at me. Now of course the same scene was on every tv,this is why it caught my eye. It was a Vizo 55 inch 120 hz. Compared to the rest of the tv's the 120 hz looked like live tv blew my mind. School a brother.

120hz looks fake as hell to me. It seems like the background doesn't look natural in movies. But do you, sports are probably much better in 120hz.

damn now i have two 52" samsungs. got one for free off insurance. i don't know if i should keep them both or sell one.

Back
Top Bottom