Headed to LA for the first time need some advice

Hey yall.. I'm gonna head to LA for the first time with the family for 4 days.. Gonna take the kids to universal studios for 2 days then debating about a beach area.. What place would be better Santa Monica or Huntington Beach? I have a 14 year old daughter and a 10 year old boy... Any advice would be a great help... Is the cafe seirra buffet legit? The crab and lobster one at the Hilton? Thanks..

If you're looking for an actual beach and to get in the water I'd say Huntington Beach. Santa Monica is great for being near the beach, but I wouldn't get into the water there. HB has more of a SoCal beach vibe, while Santa Monica is much more touristy. The good thing about Santa Monica is you are close to other smaller cities like Beverly Hills, Westwood, WeHo but HB is further south from "LA". Have you considered Laguna/Newport?

No I never looked at those over places.. Are there other things to do around Huntington Beach?.. If I just stayed at Santa Monica would I need to rent a car?

No I never looked at those over places.. Are there other things to do around Huntington Beach?.. If I just stayed at Santa Monica would I need to rent a car?

Huntington beach is pretty much secluded from what is considered "LA" it is closer to Orange County.

You may need to rent a car. LA is very car and driver oriented city. Everything is spread out. Public transportation in LA is garbage and the only other option is uber/lyft.

Way more things to do in Santa Monica and near it, but I wouldn't go in the water there. If you actually want to get in the water and enjoy the time with your family there, I'd say go to Dockweiller.

Santa Monica is more so where tourists go sight seeing, shopping, enjoying what they perceive as a typical Los Angeleno activities. I hardly ever go to the beach, and I live like 6 miles away :lol:

+1 for HB or Hermosa Beach over Santa Monica beach, Malibu beach is also a good alternative.

Santa monica/venice beach is a cool place to hang out, you can rent bikes and ride them along the coast, plus there's a rollercoaster/ferris wheel, arcade etc.

renting an SUV is a must. if you drive down to HB, try to head back around 2-3PM, traffic is very bad everywhere by 3-4ish.

Last edited:
Man I moved out here because my pops was sick (from Florida.) and it's nothing but gay people around here (Hollywood area). Just be happy your just visiting and not stuck in this dump like me.

:rofl:

Where in Florida you from?

I hope you went to Santa Monica. The experience is definitely more exciting than Huntington.....plus the pier has funnel cakes

Back
Top Bottom