Help me plan my trip to Rome and Paris vol. ****** in Paris and Rome

Visited both places this summer. Stayed at hostels though so can't give you specifics on hotels...

Paris -- Louvre vs Eiffel tower location won't make a huge difference. Metro in Paris is awesome and pretty easy to understand (easier than NYC for a tourist even with the language barrier -- I know 0% french btw). Louvre location is better though because there are more attractions by there (Musee D'orsay, L'Orangerie, lock bridge, parks etc). Personally like the Monmarte and Latin quarter areas better

If you don't have a student ID, get a museum pass for discounted entry to most of the attractions (Versailles, Louvre, Notre Dame, Musee D'orsay, L'Orangerie etc). Might be different though since you're going during the holidays. Would highly recommend going to Sainte-Chapelle. Lesser known, but totally worth it for the ridiculous stain glass

Clothing -- go to COS (H&M's high end / minimalistic line).

If you're solo and want to meet other tourists w/o staying at a hostel, do a walking tour. It's free (they accept tips)

safe travels man, i'm dying to go to paris 
sick.gif

how much will the trip cost? (estimate of course) if you don't mind me asking, you can PM me if you want.

and definitely update the thread with pics.

I stayed at the Rose Harden Palace in Rome. Nice hotel.

Did the Hop On Hop Off tour and a food/wine tour as well.

Loved everything about my trip (but I did several cities in Italy. No Paris).

Spain+France up next though!

Visited both places this summer. Stayed at hostels though so can't give you specifics on hotels...

Paris -- Louvre vs Eiffel tower location won't make a huge difference. Metro in Paris is awesome and pretty easy to understand (easier than NYC for a tourist even with the language barrier -- I know 0% french btw). Louvre location is better though because there are more attractions by there (Musee D'orsay, L'Orangerie, lock bridge, parks etc). Personally like the Monmarte and Latin quarter areas better

If you don't have a student ID, get a museum pass for discounted entry to most of the attractions (Versailles, Louvre, Notre Dame, Musee D'orsay, L'Orangerie etc). Might be different though since you're going during the holidays. Would highly recommend going to Sainte-Chapelle. Lesser known, but totally worth it for the ridiculous stain glass

Clothing -- go to COS (H&M's high end / minimalistic line).

If you're solo and want to meet other tourists w/o staying at a hostel, do a walking tour. It's free (they accept tips)

I plan on doing some shopping while I'm in Rome. I was thinking about picking up some winter wear, so maybe this would be a good option for me. I also want to pick up a suit, but IDK how soon I can get a MTM suit in just 5 days. I'm def going to pick up some ties from Hermes. I have a ton of ties from them already, but It's not everyday I can buy them from the Hermes store in Paris!

I'm now leaning more towards staying close to the Louvre. Been back and forth about it, and decided it's much better I stay on the Right-Side of Paris. I feel like that area would interest me. I'm def going to hit up plenty, if not all the museums when I'm out there. I do have a student ID, but it's really old from undergrad. I don't think they would accept it still, but I'll take it with me.

I'm def going to hit up Sainte-Chapelle, because it's so close to Notre Dame and the Louvre.

Can you please tell me more about these walking tours? That seems like something I'll really be interested in doing, because I will be traveling alone and I won't know anyone in their Rome or Paris. I'm not an introvert and I like to meet new people. I'm a pretty welcoming and approachable person.

safe travels man, i'm dying to go to paris :x
how much will the trip cost? (estimate of course) if you don't mind me asking, you can PM me if you want.
and definitely update the thread with pics.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Rough estimate of my trip:

Flight: $1700 Including flight from Rome to Paris

Lodging accommodations: $700 I decided to hit up Airbnb and it's a MUCH better option than staying at a Hotel. I figure this would give me much more authentic experience. This is the price for both Rome and Paris. In Paris I was lucky enough to find an apartment right next to the Louvre for $70 a night! I also found an awesome apartment next to the Colosseum for $50 a night. Airbnb FTW :pimp:

Travelers insurance: $150 which covers medical and flight cancelations and delays

Subtotal: $2550 not including shopping, tour fees, attraction fees and food.

I'm guessing i'll be spending anywhere from $3000-4000 entire trip.

I stayed at the Rose Harden Palace in Rome. Nice hotel.

Did the Hop On Hop Off tour and a food/wine tour as well.

Loved everything about my trip (but I did several cities in Italy. No Paris).

Spain+France up next though!

What's the Hop On Hope Off tour? Is it like a walking tour? Where can I take part in this?

I'm thinking about taking a day trip out to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Any recommendations about this? How do I get there via public transportation? Things I should look out for? Things to see? Places to go? I'm going to literally spend the WHOLE day there. I want to make the most/best of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ox.
Can anyone give me some info about Versailles? I plan on making this a day trip, because it's located outside of Paris and will take me 45 mins to get to via bus. What should I look for and which places should I go see? Anyone have any tour guide recommendations? Places to eat and see? I really want to make the most out of this trip.

Also, what are some great places to check out at night? How's the nightlife in Rome and Paris? I've never been much of a "club go'er", but I love going to bars and meeting new people. I'm not shy and I'm very approachable.

I know this is a shame that I have to ask this question, but I feel compelled to ask because of some of the things I've heard about Europe: How do the people In Rome and Paris treat minorities, especially from America? I'm a young professional Indian American that spent my whole life here in NYC and I'm very used to being around people of different ethnicities and cultures. Would the locals be welcoming of someone from my background? How would I be treated when i step away from the touristy places and go to bars or local restaurants?

Aside from that topic--I'll be traveling during the beginning of winter, so I'm wondering how cold it will be there. Should I wear a heavy coat i.e peacoat or would I be better off walking around with a light jacket such as a north face ski jacket?

We all know the pros, here are some cons i've experience personally:

- Paris is the most visited city in the world with Rome not far behind i.e. expect huge crowds, lines any time of year at the louvre, notre dame, Colosseum etc.

- These cities are tourist traps with high prices and lots of Americans which gets kind of annoying since I wanted to actually see some french or italians. Basically, its like going to NYC and expecting to see America. Please go outside the cities if you want to get a glimpse of the real France/Italy.

- Rome is not the cleanest city and smells like urine on hot days

- Paris is pretty expensive and Rome isn't exactly cheap either

Honestly, there is an overload of info on sites like tripadvisor which is a good resource when looking for places to eat at. The recommendation on that site have been on point every time.

As far as weather, winters are mild in both cities so you could probably do with just a peacoat, some gloves and a scarf. Dont even worry about being a minority since these are some of the most diverse cities on the planet. Oh, and bring more money than you think you need.

Last edited:
OP, keep us posted on the trip afterwards! I'm planning a solo Euro trip myself in 2014 is it would be great to hear your feedback. Safe travels. 

Anything in Paris is ridiculously expensive. A burger at McD is like $5, no exaggeration.

Damb. That's just a burger? They probably taxing for a Royale with cheese
Legit $5 for a tiny McD burger. We then went to some restaurant nearby and saw a $12 burger on the menu.

It literally just said "Hamburger: €10". Ordered it for the hell of it and it was the size of a plate though.

Could barely finish the whole thing.

Price really isn't a worry. I just want to experience Rome and Paris to it's fullest.

Any good places to eat? I'm from NY, so I don't care if the food comes from a cart or from a kitchen--I'll eat anything as long as it's good.
Te food in General is great. I wish I could remember the name of some of the restaurants. Btw at the Vatican , they have open ceremonies to those Jo wish to attend at certain times( I think I went at 6 ). Pretty cool, the whole thing is traditional and done in Italian.

Legit $5 for a tiny McD burger. We then went to some restaurant nearby and saw a $12 burger on the menu.
It literally just said "Hamburger: €10". Ordered it for the hell of it and it was the size of a plate though.
Could barely finish the whole thing.

I don't mind spending money when I'm there. I've been blessed enough to be able to work to where I am now where I can afford to be comfortable. Price really isn't a worry for this trip. I just want to enjoy my time there.

We all know the pros, here are some cons i've experience personally:

- Paris is the most visited city in the world with Rome not far behind i.e. expect huge crowds, lines any time of year at the louvre, notre dame, Colosseum etc.

- These cities are tourist traps with high prices and lots of Americans which gets kind of annoying since I wanted to actually see some french or italians. Basically, its like going to NYC and expecting to see America. Please go outside the cities if you want to get a glimpse of the real France/Italy.

- Rome is not the cleanest city and smells like urine on hot days

- Paris is pretty expensive and Rome isn't exactly cheap either

Honestly, there is an overload of info on sites like tripadvisor which is a good resource when looking for places to eat at. The recommendation on that site have been on point every time.

As far as weather, winters are mild in both cities so you could probably do with just a peacoat, some gloves and a scarf. Dont even worry about being a minority since these are some of the most diverse cities on the planet. Oh, and bring more money than you think you need.

Again, price isn't a concern. I'm fine with spending money, just so as long as it's worth it and reasonable.

Any recommendations to go to places outside of Paris excluding Versailles? I do want to check out Paris and get the real French experience.

I figured I'd be able to get away with just a peacoat. But It's going to the end of December/early January when I'm there. I'm preparing for the cold. I would love it if I could walk around with just a peacoat. I'll be walking so much.

Hop On Hop Off tour is a bus tour that stops at several of the more popular attractions in Rome.

You get on at a central starting point, pay a fee, and you can then get off and on at the various stops for the remainder of the day.

I'm sure if you Google it, you can get more info.

Not sure about your question about going to the Leaning Tower. I did Rome, Florence, Tuscany (spent most time here hitting the vineyards) and Venice.

Venice may be the most amazing city I've ever been to/seen.

Last edited:
Hop On Hop Off tour is a bus tour that stops at several of the more popular attractions in Rome.

You get on at a central starting point, pay a fee, and you can then get off and on at the various stops for the remainder of the day.

I'm sure if you Google it, you can get more info.

Not sure about your question about going to the Leaning Tower. I did Rome, Florence, Tuscany (spent most time here hitting the vineyards) and Venice.

Venice may be the most amazing city I've ever been to/seen.

My sister keeps bugging me to go to Venice. How possible would it be to go to Venice for a day?

I'm thinking of hitting up all the places in Rome in 2-3 days, spend a whole day in Pisa and then spend another day in Venice. Is this doable?

My understanding is that you can travel Italy via a rail system (train) but I'm sure you'll lose quite a bit of time on the train itself.

Venice is definitely further North than Rome.

Which is why we set it up the way we did. Rome-Flor-Tuscany-Venice then flew back to the US from Venice.

But we did everything by car/van. I was with my family for a milestone birthday for moms and anniversary with the Mrs. So we balled.

Might be a flight you can take from Rome to Venice that isn't too much. Don't know for sure.

Cool thing about Venice. No cars, no bikes. Just water (gondolas and water taxis) and walking.

Last edited:
My understanding is that you can travel Italy via a rail system (train) but I'm sure you'll lose quite a bit of time on the train itself.

Venice is definitely further North than Rome.

Which is why we set it up the way we did. Rome-Flor-Tuscany-Venice then flew back to the US from Venice.

But we did everything by car/van. I was with my family for a milestone birthday for moms and anniversary with the Mrs. So we balled.

Might be a flight you can take from Rome to Venice that isn't too much. Don't know for sure.

Cool thing about Venice. No cars, no bikes. Just water (gondolas and water taxis) and walking.

Just looked this up...No way can I make this trip happen!

The drive is 5 hours long and flying out there is out the questions, because I have to fly out to Paris right after Rome. I guess I'll check out Venice another time I'm in Europe. I figure the next time I go, I'll have a whole 2 weeks and will probably take the rail.

Italy is phenomenal. As much as I covered, I didn't get to Milan, Bologna, Naples.

So I will be back there at some point.

Hard to cover it all in one trip.

Definitely try to make it to Venice though.

Just on the strength of no card or bikes and waterways being the only form of travel through the city (other than foot), I would imagine there is literally no other city like it in the world.

Why don't you just google for some tourist tips and then once you get there, ask the locals what they think is worth while seeing? You get way more reliable information then just from random nters and its more efficient. :rolleyes

Italy is phenomenal. As much as I covered, I didn't get to Milan, Bologna, Naples.

So I will be back there at some point.

Hard to cover it all in one trip.

Definitely try to make it to Venice though.

Just on the strength of no card or bikes and waterways being the only form of travel through the city (other than foot), I would imagine there is literally no other city like it in the world.

How are the women in Italy?

Kind of serious :lol:

Why don't you just google for some tourist tips and then once you get there, ask the locals what they think is worth while seeing? You get way more reliable information then just from random nters and its more efficient. :rolleyes

If you read the thread, you'd know that I had already done extensive research. I'm here just asking for people's inputs and experiences. I'd like to get a sense of what I should expect before landing.

Last edited:
I was there with wife and fam. So I wasn't really peeping like that.

Family trips and road dog trips are very different.

Amsterdam next year :smokin

Just came from Paris last month. Loved it out there. I'm from New York, so it kind of reminded me of home. If you're not a city person you may not like it.

I went everywhere. My wife pretty much planned our trip out there for us so we didn't need to go on any of the "walking tours or boat tours."

Make sure you see the Eiffel Tower at night. I believe it lights up on every hour on the hour. It looks wayyyy better at night than during the day.
I also went to the top of the tower and had a champagne toast with the wife. When we got to the top, it was stupid windy. So if you decide on doing that, bundle up.

We went to Versailles. It was cool. Took the train over there from our hotel.

The trains were pretty self explanatory. I didn't have a problem getting around. I didn't know much french but the French alphabet is similar to the English alphabet, so I was able to manage to get by.

My favorite things, the food! We went to a couple bakeries out there and got some sweets. La duree bakery on champs got some damn good goodies! Pricey but worth it.
The water! Ever since I came back, I haven't been able to stop drinking evian lol. Best water I've ever had. They have it everywhere too.
Eiffel Tower at night is a must.
Arch de triumph was nice.
Louvre is cool too.
Sacre coeur(sp?) has a great view of Paris. I liked that church better than I liked the notre dame.

We did so much man. We were tired as hell by the time we left.

View media item 634429
I recommend that you learn some basic french. The French seemed to hate people who didnt know any type of French. I was learning while I was over there and picked up some stuff. But i forgot most of it already.

Watch out for tourist traps as well. There are People that come from Africa doing scams at some of the tourist attractions. You'll see them when you get there.

Just have fun bro and enjoy the culture while you out there.

Back
Top Bottom