High Schoolers going to College Appreciation- Vol. Where Jonathan Bender at?

jpzx

Supporter
Since the rule was put in that makes high schoolers go to college before entering the NBA, college basketball has been more enjoyable in my opinion. We allknow that Oden and Durant probably would've gone straight to the NBA if not for that rule, and I'm glad they didn't have the chance. It makes MarchMadness more fun and exciting to watch because you know that you'll always get several great matchups (ex. Noah-Oden).
It also gives us more knowledge on all these kids before they go to the NBA. You have a better grasp on what they are capable of doing at the next level so itsalso helping NBA scouts.
The most crucial part of this is that it benefits the players the most. There have been countless examples of why you shouldn't go the NBA straight fromhigh school.
314q8o8.jpg
hrexxg.jpg
2drf1y1.jpg

Who knows? All these players (^) might be stars in this league if they decided to go to college and develop their game rather than make the jump straight tothe NBA.
College Basketball as we know today
pimp.gif

don't include Bassy with them

but yeah, it's appreciated for the college game, somewhat..

You kind of have to include Sebastian with them, if he had gone to Louisville there is no doubt he would be a better player today. Although he still haspotential to be a good point guard and he has been productive for MN lately. College could've helped him develop his shot though.

J Bender had injuries correct???

So....Assuming he went to college....He may not have even made it out healthy....I mean...dude was forced to RETIRE from basketball....

Which means he NEVER would have gotten the millions that he received....

Meaning he made the right decision....

College could've helped him develop his shot though.
I said in another post, that I don't think he would've and he woulda relied on the same things he did in HS..that's my opinion

Originally Posted by dreClark

So....Assuming he went to college....He may not have even made it out healthy....I mean...dude was forced to RETIRE from basketball....

Dude was in the L for like 7 seasons, much longer than the avg. NBA draftee/player. Even if he went to college for 4 yrs (not likely) he would have had 3yrs in the league to make money, get injured and retire.

Yeah your putting up good points..his driving ability would've made it a nightmare for opposing coaches to prepare. Still though, if defended well enough,he would've been forced to shoot frequently which would almost make him have to work on his shot.

The main point I'm trying to get across though is that it's more exciting to watch college basketball with allthese talented freshman, opposed to them going straight to the NBA and waiting to see if they actually turn into a player. I wasn't specifically talkingabout Bender and Telfair, they were just examples.

Kwame was the #1 pick. No excuse for not going to the NBA. He's lasted in the league and made his millions. A year of college would have dropped him fromthat top spot.

I seriously don't know what's better.. High Schoolers going straight to the NBA.. or High Schoolers being one and done with college.. I think being oneand done with college is much worse than high schoolers going straight to the NBA..Those College teams, that worked on getting that one recruit who is gong tobolt after one year is pretty much useless in my opinion b/c even though it provides one good run, it's pretty hard to duplicate it in the next year whenthat important piece of your puzzle is gone... And like you said, there are countless examples of kids benefiting from going to college first then to the NBA,but there are also really good examples of kids going straight to the NBA from High School..

Hence Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, Al Jefferson, Monta Ellis.. ETC

And lets not forget that there are plenty of college kids who were heavily recruited out of high school that went to college and their stock plummet.. *MalikHairston, Bracey Wright, JR Giddens Etc..
Edit: Take out Lenny Cooke and add umm..JR Giddens
tired.gif

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Kwame was the #1 pick. No excuse for not going to the NBA. He's lasted in the league and made his millions. A year of college would have dropped him from that top spot.

He should have. Dude is a bum, let someone who deserves it get that spot.

I agree w/ the OG poster. My dad thinks the rule should be 2 yrs.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Kwame was the #1 pick. No excuse for not going to the NBA. He's lasted in the league and made his millions. A year of college would have dropped him from that top spot.

So you're saying if he went to college, developed his game and was the #5 pick it wouldn't benefit him? He would be such a better player makinghim even more millions in the future. Also, his goal probably isn't to make millions not caring how good he does.

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

Dude was in the L for like 7 seasons, much longer than the avg. NBA draftee/player. Even if he went to college for 4 yrs (not likely) he would have had 3 yrs in the league to make money, get injured and retire.
At the young age of 25, Indiana Pacers forward Jonathan Bender has decided to retire from NBA due to chronic knee problems. Bender has suffered knee problems since before entering the NBA out of high school in 1999(he selected 5th overall in the 1999 NBA Draft). It is thought that his knee problems stem a growth spurt while he was a teenager, as it moved his knee out of alignment and also caused slippage of the hamstring. The problem gradually worsened over his 7-year NBA career, during which time he played in only 271 regular season and playoff games.

Obviously, this is a sad story. Bender may have had the talent to become an NBA star, but because of chronic knee problems, we'll never know. This story has special meaning to me, as Bender is from Mississippi, where I'm a law professor and where many of my students are from.

But there is another way of looking at this story: by skipping college, Bender attracted the interest of NBA teams before his chronic knee problems became apparent to NBA scouts. As a result, he was able embark on a 7-year NBA career, during which time he earned (according to my calculations) about $29.5 million. Had he matriculated to Mississippi State, and watched his knee problems worsen there, he would have certainly had a shorter NBA career, and he may have never had an NBA career. In other words, had he taken the "safe" route and attended college, he may have never earned a dollar playing basketball, let alone $29.5 million. And yet now, if he wants, he can attend Mississippi State and take all of the courses he wants--and be able to focus on those courses rather than on basketball (something which would have been impossible had he matriculated to Mississippi State in 1999). And of course, if he does go back to school, he'll also having millions of dollars in hand (kind of like the Olson Twins at NYU).

The main point I'm trying to get across though is that it's more exciting to watch college basketball with all these talented freshman
I agree, I said somewhat appreciated, because...I've never been a fan of the 1 and done kids....especially the ones now (Durant, Beasley,Oden) that obviously belong at the next level.....programs don't win in that one year and it can set them back.

On the Kwame point...and other kids...

going to college exposes their weaknesses and then they miss out on millions.

Originally Posted by JPZx

The main point I'm trying to get across though is that it's more exciting to watch college basketball with all these talented freshman, opposed to them going straight to the NBA and waiting to see if they actually turn into a player. I wasn't specifically talking about Bender and Telfair, they were just examples.
This is true....I agree with you.....98%

Cause if this rule wasn't in place.....No KD....No Beasley....No Mayo....No Gordon....No Rose....No Oden....etc

But there is always the exception....

Dude was in the L for like 7 seasons, much longer than the avg. NBA draftee/player. Even if he went to college for 4 yrs (not likely) he would have had 3 yrs in the league to make money, get injured and retire.
At the young age of 25, Indiana Pacers forward Jonathan Bender has decided to retire from NBA due to chronic knee problems. Bender has suffered knee problems since before entering the NBA out of high school in 1999(he selected 5th overall in the 1999 NBA Draft). It is thought that his knee problems stem a growth spurt while he was a teenager, as it moved his knee out of alignment and also caused slippage of the hamstring. The problem gradually worsened over his 7-year NBA career, during which time he played in only 271 regular season and playoff games.

I'm sorry, but not everyone deserves to be a millionaire. If he had these problems before hand (which he did), maybe basketball shouldn't havebeen his only idea of success or career. The guy is only 25 and retired. He has a lot of life left to live. What is he going to do? My guess, go to collegeand figure out something else to do w/ his life. Like he should have done in the first place. Just my opinion.

Im not for the rule...and never have been...and don't see how anyone is in favor of it other their own selfish reasons. As a fan of collegebasketball...yes it's exciting. As a former athlete myself who understands the disposition these players are faced with and care about their PERSONALadvancement in general and not just on the court...I'm not for it.

And also...it hasnt changed much. There is always going to be a trickle down effect. Thats why the country is in love with all these freshmen right now...whowill undoubtedly bounce to the L next year. Whats the point of keeping them from the league for a year? You move it to two years and you're still going tohave a love affair...this time with sophmores...and they too will be bouncing for the L. It's a pointless rule...how is anyone other than the NCAAbenefiting from it?

don't include Bassy with them

why not? he said if he had went to college he might be a star. Bassy is not a star now, even though NT has been hyping him up

anyways, its appreciated more than guys skipping to the league, but still unappreciated because guys only stay for one year now. fans of programs who recruitgreat players don't have a lot to look forward to.

Ohio State brought in a great class last season, and they were great but you wish they could've won the championship then when they had the chance. butthey lose, their best players bounce to the first round and their leaders graduate, and the fans end up feeling empty. if that team came back, they would havebeen clear favorites to win it all. not that im mad at them for leaving, i would do the same thing.

why not? he said if he had went to college he might be a star.
But also might have shown weaknesses, lost out on a sneaker deal and draft position.

I say don't include him because he still is only in his 4th year...and is playing the most difficult position....and he has shown signs of putting ittogether.

care about their PERSONAL advancement in general and not just on the court...I'm not for it.
That's fair...but what about the kids not as gifted as Durant, Oden, Beasley or the ones who skipped college (KG, Kobe)

the Korleone Youngs, Ebi's of the world....if they went to college, got a better grasp on where they stand with the NBA....they have the option ofschool....which for them, would have been personal advancement.

On one side, yeah a kid who's family needs money..I side with you....but 1 year it's not gona kill anyone, and it allows them to mature and see thingsfrom different perspective, and get better advice.

I'm sorry, but not everyone deserves to be a millionaire. If he had these problems before hand (which he did), maybe basketball shouldn't have been his only idea of success or career. The guy is only 25 and retired. He has a lot of life left to live. What is he going to do? My guess, go to college and figure out something else to do w/ his life. Like he should have done in the first place. Just my opinion.

Eh.....I dunno....

I see where you're going....and I somewhat agree.....Everyone doesn't deserve to be a millionaire

But....Dude has a chance to set himself and his immediate family up for life.....LEGALLY (no BMF)

College is always gonna be there....But those opportunities are not....

And eventhough he won't be able to play pro ball anymore.....He will still be able to lead a healthy life.....and get better treatment than he couldhave gotten before....

Who's to say dude even WANTED to go to college?? He may want to start a Rec center or some %!!%, I dunno.....

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

Im not for the rule...and never have been...and don't see how anyone is in favor of it other their own selfish reasons.

How about the fact that it forces a young man to grow up a bit and expand their mind... if only for that short year.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

why not? he said if he had went to college he might be a star.
But also might have shown weaknesses, lost out on a sneaker deal and draft position.

I say don't include him because he still is only in his 4th year...and is playing the most difficult position....and he has shown signs of putting it together.

I'd rather have my weaknesses been shown in college than in the NBA. Hypothetically if he had played all 4 years or even just 3 at Louisville, hecould've developed his shot as a freshman/sophomore and then been a complete player by the time he was a Junior/Senior. If that were the case, hewould've been drafted higher, making more money, and even getting another shoedeal.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

HarlemToTheBronx said:

How about the fact that it forces a young man to grow up a bit and expand their mind... if only for that short year.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Well said and good point.

I'd rather have my weaknesses been shown in college than in the NBA. Hypothetically if he had played all 4 years or even just 3 at Louisville, he could've developed his shot as a freshman/sophomore and then been a complete player by the time he was a Junior/Senior. If that were the case, he would've been drafted higher, making more money, and even getting another shoe deal.

Or....

He could have been Chris Thomas or Dominic James..... Or Terrance Morris....

Or

He could have been Tim Duncan or Jason Kidd...

Who knows....But its hard to Mortgage your future on the unknown....

Back
Top Bottom