High Schoolers going to College Appreciation- Vol. Where Jonathan Bender at?

Basically, I'm torn on the issue...

every kid is different, as far as maturity, skill and personal needs.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I'd rather have my weaknesses been shown in college than in the NBA.
But if their shown and he didn't improve....that money is no longer there.

If he can't develop at least an average jumpshot in a year or two of college then he shouldn't be in the NBA anyway.

This is really a never-ending argument....

There are valid points on both sides.....

But the fact is....You can't judge unless you were in their position.....

I'd rather have my weaknesses been shown in college than in the NBA.
But if their shown and he didn't improve....that money is no longer there.

And so what? For me, I want the people who most deserve to be in the league in the league. Not someone who "lucked up" byt getting there beforeanyone noticed they shouldn't be.

It's not his fault...

who's gona turn down guaranteed money and a sneaker deal??

He took care of his family, instead of working on his jumper at college.

Right decision if you ask me.

This is really a never-ending argument....

There are valid points on both sides.....

But the fact is....You can't judge unless you were in their position....

Pretty much.

When you are given a promise at being a lottery pick and also having financial backing from adidas BEFORE the NBA draft, I think the decision will be easy. Especially considering the rocky home situation that Telfair grew up in. Who wouldn't take the money if you could improve the living situation for many ofyour family? There was SO much pressure on this guy to succeed it wasn't even funny....anyways, look at the guys that Dre mentioned. You got Chris Thomas,Jason Gardner, etc etc all who played 3+ years of college ball and never got a sniff of the NBA. Bassy was presented with an opportunity and took fulladvantage of it. He should NOT be grouped with guys like Kwame Brown, Korleone Young, etc etc...First off, there is WAY more responsibility for a PG who isdrafted in the NBA. He had a lot to go up against in that he went from running a team full of 14-18 year olds, to being asked to run a team of grown men. Thatis a lot and a heavy burden for a 18 year old. There are not too many point guards who come in the NBA and are effective right off the bat. Chris Paul andJason Kidd are the rare exceptions. Even they had college, but who knows how effective they would have been if they went straight from HS to the NBA? Shoot,even a guy like Steve Nash took about 5 years in the NBA before he figured out how to play PG on this level. What people tend to forget is that Bassy is ONLY22 years old. He still has a lot of basketball left in him. He is finally in a situation where there is no pressure to dominate, and can grow with a youngteam. Once he matures, I think the Telfair-Jefferson combo could be sick. He is by no means a bust. This guy is a top 3 HS player ever in NYC. He has skills,and if you know your NYC HS basketball history, you will know that there have been some unbelievable talent to pass through the HS ranks. You can see thepotential he has, and I think he could be a more skilled version of Rod Strickland. Just watch....Bassy is going to make a big jump (statistically) in the nextyear or two.

It's not his fault...

who's gona turn down guaranteed money and a sneaker deal??

He took care of his family, instead of working on his jumper at college.

Right decision if you ask me.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I can't figure out why going to the NBA as a raw player and getting a nice paycheck right away would benefit him.If he had gone to college, worked on his game, entered the NBA as a COMPLETE player, his family and he himselfwould've been supported in ways he would've never dreamed of.

He's on his third team in 3 years and he's struggling to stay in the NBA. Now think, if he had gone to college, he would've been a star in theleague by this time, possibly being Chris Paul type player. Trust me, getting the nice paycheck right away was nice, but how is that benefiting him now?

whether or not telfair develops a J is up to him. they have shooting coaches in the league. plenty of NBA players develop outside of the college game.

It was a guaranteed thing

the option of going to school and having that money still waitin there, was not.

Because there is no guarantee that he would have even made it to the league.....

You got a small window to enter the league.....When it is widest....YOU JUMP....IMO....

And...how 'open' this window is depends on what the scouts think.....AND the situation of your family....and you personally...

This NBA %*!* ain't guaranteed man....

Everyone's putting up good points and I am in no way trying to call out allen3xis, I am just stating my opinion.
This took a 180 and turned into a Sebastian Telfair thread
laugh.gif

how could i forget!??

The option of going to school and having that money still waitin there, was not.
Incorrect. Him going to Louisville would've maintained that Adi offer down the line. Wink-wink sneaker deals go down every spring when aplayer chooses a school of his liking that'll happen to wear a brand that signs him when he enters the league.These players earn the schools millions while there.

Playing wise...ANYTHING could have happened...he had to jump. What better practice is there than playing against the best players in the world in twice as longof a season without the annoyance of "taking" classes? He made the right choice. His jumper will come. You can't learn Bassy's vision andspeed...and he WILL be a tremendous player.

As far as the rule...I'm entirely against it. If a 15 year-old white girl can go figure skate or play tennis...how can you tell a 18 year-old MAN that hecan't enter the draft? There are consequences to any decisions, and if the player doesn't get drafted or is out the league in 2 years...that'stheir own damn fault.

I don't need to be fed this crap about going to school making them a more well-rounded person. Anyone who knows anything knows college athletes aren'tstudents. It's a bad rule enforced to protect owners from drafting on potential...which I can somewhat understand. At the same time, these players beingforced to go for a year is a waste of everyone's time.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

Originally Posted by dreClark

J Bender had injuries correct???

So....Assuming he went to college....He may not have even made it out healthy....I mean...dude was forced to RETIRE from basketball....

Which means he NEVER would have gotten the millions that he received....

Meaning he made the right decision....

Dude was in the L for like 7 seasons, much longer than the avg. NBA draftee/player. Even if he went to college for 4 yrs (not likely) he would have had 3 yrs in the league to make money, get injured and retire.
At the young age of 25, Indiana Pacers forward Jonathan Bender has decided to retire from NBA due to chronic knee problems. Bender has suffered knee problems since before entering the NBA out of high school in 1999(he selected 5th overall in the 1999 NBA Draft). It is thought that his knee problems stem a growth spurt while he was a teenager, as it moved his knee out of alignment and also caused slippage of the hamstring. The problem gradually worsened over his 7-year NBA career, during which time he played in only 271 regular season and playoff games.

Obviously, this is a sad story. Bender may have had the talent to become an NBA star, but because of chronic knee problems, we'll never know. This story has special meaning to me, as Bender is from Mississippi, where I'm a law professor and where many of my students are from.

But there is another way of looking at this story: by skipping college, Bender attracted the interest of NBA teams before his chronic knee problems became apparent to NBA scouts. As a result, he was able embark on a 7-year NBA career, during which time he earned (according to my calculations) about $29.5 million. Had he matriculated to Mississippi State, and watched his knee problems worsen there, he would have certainly had a shorter NBA career, and he may have never had an NBA career. In other words, had he taken the "safe" route and attended college, he may have never earned a dollar playing basketball, let alone $29.5 million. And yet now, if he wants, he can attend Mississippi State and take all of the courses he wants--and be able to focus on those courses rather than on basketball (something which would have been impossible had he matriculated to Mississippi State in 1999). And of course, if he does go back to school, he'll also having millions of dollars in hand (kind of like the Olson Twins at NYU).

I had such high hopes for JB. I was probably his biggest fan back when i lived in Indiana
laugh.gif
(probably his only fan)

He had all the tools to succeed in the NBA. I really think the knee killed his career. No way the guy would just call it quits and say "Alright i have30 mill, lets call it a career!"

Bassy has yet to show anything in the game tonight, but it's his old team and I think he'll be stepping up very soon.

The bottom line is some guys can handle it and some can't. Sometimes, staying hurts your stock but it can also improve it. I know the intent is good, butit should be a case by case thing. LeBron, you can go straight to the NBA. You are an exception. Korleone Young, please go to any school that will take you.

Bender would have been a very good player if he wasnt limited to how long he could play. Going right to the NBA would have been the best choice IF he had noinjuries. But that is a big if. Unfortunately, thats it for his career.

Jon Bender without injuries - a very good talent in the NBA

Exactly, Jonathan Bender was supposed to be a best. Injuries slowed him down ultimately leading to his retirement.
Good luck to him in his non-basketball life.

When it comes down to it, some players it helps, some players it hurts. Overall I like the new rule cause I love college basketball. I also think it helps moreplayers. Maybe players like Amir Johnson would be on a team getting more pt having already proven theirselves in college. I don't think Kevin Durant wouldhave gotten any run if he was drafted straight out of HS teams wouldn't have understood just how good he is. He doesn't look physically capable ofplaying in the NBA and a team may have tried to baby him or assume he wasn't ready for several years. A lot of players may have also been drafted lowerthough if they had been drafted after going to a college. Just that some players games can translate from highschool to the nba easier, but a lot need to finda niche and show what they are good at in college so they can come into the league ready.

I'm sorry, but not everyone deserves to be a millionaire. If he had these problems before hand (which he did), maybe basketball shouldn't have been his only idea of success or career. The guy is only 25 and retired. He has a lot of life left to live. What is he going to do? My guess, go to college and figure out something else to do w/ his life. Like he should have done in the first place. Just my opinion.
Are you serious? So he should pass up a great opportunity which could set him up financially for life to "figure" out a career? Themoney he made in the NBA > money he could have potentially earned from a college educated career, I hope you don't have aspirations of being anagent...
indifferent.gif

[table][tr][td]1999-00[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$2,214,600[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2000-01[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$2,380,680[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2001-02[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$2,546,760[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2002-03[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$3,226,745[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2003-04[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$5,680,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2004-05[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$6,525,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2005-06[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$7,175,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Career[/td] [td](may be incomplete)[/td] [td][/td] [td]29,748,785[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

I think they should bump the age limit to 20 years of age or 2 years of College ball.

I think that's OD'ing it. It's already controversial as it is.

majority of them are fragile and prone to injuries!
they bring excitement and frustration to the league as well!

Back
Top Bottom