High Schoolers going to College Appreciation- Vol. Where Jonathan Bender at?

Originally Posted by goldenarmz97

I'm sorry, but not everyone deserves to be a millionaire. If he had these problems before hand (which he did), maybe basketball shouldn't have been his only idea of success or career. The guy is only 25 and retired. He has a lot of life left to live. What is he going to do? My guess, go to college and figure out something else to do w/ his life. Like he should have done in the first place. Just my opinion.
Are you serious? So he should pass up a great opportunity which could set him up financially for life to "figure" out a career? The money he made in the NBA > money he could have potentially earned from a college educated career, I hope you don't have aspirations of being an agent...
indifferent.gif

[table][tr][td]1999-00[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$2,214,600[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2000-01[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$2,380,680[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2001-02[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$2,546,760[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2002-03[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$3,226,745[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2003-04[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$5,680,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2004-05[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$6,525,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2005-06[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$7,175,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Career[/td] [td](may be incomplete)[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]29,748,785[/td] [/tr][/table]

I gotta agree w. GA here....what's the purpose of going to college in the first place? You want to learn as much as you can to help build thefoundation for your future earnings. To finish college and five years later have over 29 million earned is EXTREMELY rare. Jonathan Bender took advantage ofan opportunity, plain and simple. He could have ultimately cost himself A LOT of money by just setting foot on the MSU campus for his supposed"freshman" year. A lot can happen. Just look at the cautionary tale of Terrence Morris. This guy could have been a 1st round pick after hissophomore or junior year, but for whatever reason decided to stay in school until he was a senior. He ended up losing out on a guranteed contract, and was a2nd round pick. He played 3 season, and only grossed 1.7 million. If he was smart, he invested his money and it could have grown. However, there is not achance in hell he had the freedom to do what he wanted with his money like Jonathan Bender. Bender has enough money now that he can go back to school and dowhat he wants. 29 million is enough for MANY generations of Benders to be set up on.

I'm sorry, but not everyone deserves to be a millionaire. If he had these problems before hand (which he did), maybe basketball shouldn't have been his only idea of success or career. The guy is only 25 and retired. He has a lot of life left to live. What is he going to do? My guess, go to college and figure out something else to do w/ his life. Like he should have done in the first place. Just my opinion.
Are you serious? So he should pass up a great opportunity which could set him up financially for life to "figure" out a career? The money he made in the NBA > money he could have potentially earned from a college educated career, I hope you don't have aspirations of being an agent...
indifferent.gif

[table][tr][td]1999-00[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$2,214,600[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2000-01[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$2,380,680[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2001-02[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$2,546,760[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2002-03[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$3,226,745[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2003-04[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$5,680,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2004-05[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$6,525,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2005-06[/td] [td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]NBA[/td] [td]$7,175,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Career[/td] [td](may be incomplete)[/td] [td]

thats fine...but now he has about 30 million to do it with.

This is going to sound like a homer post, but I don't think there's a single college team that suffered more from this phenomenon than MississippiState. Jonathan Bender, Travis Outlaw and Monta Ellis all committed to State before jumping ship and going straight to the pros... ah, what might have been.

eek.gif
at all the $$$ he made... dude was so set for life he could go into early retirement at 25
laugh.gif

shiieeet, forget college

Originally Posted by allen3xis

why not? he said if he had went to college he might be a star.
But also might have shown weaknesses, lost out on a sneaker deal and draft position.

I say don't include him because he still is only in his 4th year...and is playing the most difficult position....and he has shown signs of putting it together.

care about their PERSONAL advancement in general and not just on the court...I'm not for it.
That's fair...but what about the kids not as gifted as Durant, Oden, Beasley or the ones who skipped college (KG, Kobe)

the Korleone Youngs, Ebi's of the world....if they went to college, got a better grasp on where they stand with the NBA....they have the option of school....which for them, would have been personal advancement.

On one side, yeah a kid who's family needs money..I side with you....but 1 year it's not gona kill anyone, and it allows them to mature and see things from different perspective, and get better advice.

I forgot all about this post so im just now seeing it again...

But...as for the kids on the other side. Nobody is holding a gun to these kids heads and telling them go pro...nor are the NBA GMs who draft them. KorleoneYoung was advised NOT to go pro...he had scouts telling his family he needed to go to school...yet his own camp advised him to go pro anyway. At the end of thestay its still his choice to make.

How much do you mature during your freshman year of college? I don't know too many who do. Now if I'm a big time prospect and I know I can coastthrough school for a year knowing I got millions waiting for me next year...how much maturing you think I'm going to do?

Everything is hit or miss...should we prevent certain college seniors from entering the draft who end up flopping too? Everything in this sport is case by casebasis...you can't group ANYTHING.

Look at Darius Rice and tell Bender he made a mistake. Darius Rice would trade places with the retired Bender rightn now.

indifferent.gif

This isn't even about Bender or what he could have done. I'm talking about the rule that says you have to co go college a year. Which weeds outweakness imo, and provides an opportunity for AFTER a career in sports either doesn't pan out (like bender), or when a career has run it's course andis over. Instead of having gone to college, and experienced what that entails this guy now is going to do what? So what he has a ton of money, what is hegoing to do w/ his time. He isn't going to be young forever. Look at Britney Spears and a bunch of other young people w/ a ton of money and no education. That's what I don't want to see. You don't have to agree friend. It's cool. That's the point of these debates. Saying "I hope youdon't have plans of being an agent." Unnecessary.
happy.gif

But...as for the kids on the other side. Nobody is holding a gun to these kids heads and telling them go pro...nor are the NBA GMs who draft them. Korleone Young was advised NOT to go pro...he had scouts telling his family he needed to go to school...yet his own camp advised him to go pro anyway. At the end of the stay its still his choice to make.

How much do you mature during your freshman year of college? I don't know too many who do. Now if I'm a big time prospect and I know I can coast through school for a year knowing I got millions waiting for me next year...how much maturing you think I'm going to do?

Holding a "this is how terrible your future will be if you don't go pro now" card is just as bad as a gun imo. Telling a kid who is barely 18that he has to do this for the family, doesn't leave much room for negotiation. Think back to when you were a senior in high school. If your coach tellsyou "I think you need to go to college", while your mom says "He doesn't know what he's talking about. you're great baby!". Who are you more likely to listen to when you know your situation isn't the ideal one? they aren't making sound decisions, which is one of the reasonsthe rule was put into play in the first place.

As for how much you learn in your freshman year. You learn a ton just by going through day-to-day things. I'd say the hectic schedules D1 athleteshave to endure is takes plenty of maturity. I've spoken w/ many of them at UT and the stuff they have to deal w/ is ridiculous sometimes. And thats w/oeven factoring in class schedules. So yeah, you won't be going through a year of school and come out the same person. It's damn nearimpossible.
I'm also keeping in mind that Bender is not the typical scenario. tons of kids go out not knowing what they actually are capable of doingand falling well below expectations. One year of school weeds those out more efficiently than not. Personally I would love if entering into the draftdidn't wipe out college eligibility. If it was structured more like baseball I wouldn't mind kids declaring at 18.

Personally I would love if entering into the draft didn't wipe out college eligibility.

There are loopholes....I think Randolph Morris did something along those lines....

check this article....it's from back when Voshon Lenard did the same thing

The Bucks selected Minnesota's Voshon Lenard in the second round of the 1994 draft, only to have him take advantage of the new rule and return to school for his senior year.

Lenard, the 46th player drafted, made the decision after learning he would likely be offered the league minimum of $150,000 and limited playing time. Georgia's 7-foot center, Charles Claxton, taken by the Suns at No. 50, got similar vibrations and returned for his senior season. But Claxton is considered a project -- a guy who needs years to develop, whether on an NBA bench, for Georgia or in Europe.

Lenard, a 6-4 guard, has grown weary of the questions and second-guessing. He has had to convince people that his present loyalties are to Minnesota, not a potential NBA career. "It's been distracting at times, but I know where my focus is," Lenard says. "My main role is to help Minnesota win games. I'm not in the NBA. If the Bucks come to see me play, I won't be thinking about it."

Of the 12 underclassmen selected in the 1994 draft, Lenard and Claxton were the only ones to return to school. Nine were first-rounders, taken among the first 16 picks.

Dontonio Wingfield is an underclassman who wasn't drafted until the second round but decided to sign with the team that drafted him, the Sonics. But Wingfield, the 37th pick of the draft, is making $250,000, not the $1 million being made this season by the 26th pick, Charlie Ward of the Knicks. Not only that, but Wingfield also played only 11 minutes in November. Like Lenard, Wingfield made a mistake in making himself eligible for the draft. However, Lenard used The Rule to fix it.

The first pick of the draft, Glenn Robinson, was an underclassman. The Bucks are paying him $2.9 million this season, the first of a 10-year, $68.15-million deal. It is the lure of such big money that tempts players to make an early jump to the NBA.

NCAA rules prohibit underclassmen from having contact or agreements with agents, but the players are allowed to have someone contact NBA team officials about their draft potential. NBA sources say agents still influence players. "The most unscrupulous among my field get these kids to commit without them having a real feel for what's going on," agent Len Elmore says. "A kid projected to go in the lottery won't have that problem. It's the ones who could slip to the bottom of the first or in the second that could be at risk, the borderline guys."

Guys like Lenard.

The NCAA has no plans to re-evaluate the 30-day rule at its 1995 convention. NCAA officials are content with the policy, mainly because of the options a player has if he's not happy with his draft position or salary potential. "The reason this was done was to enable a player to test his marketability," says Bob Oliver, an NCAA legislative services director. "There were players submitting themselves for the draft and not getting drafted, but they couldn't return to school. This is a way for them to maintain their eligibility and continue their education."

The NBA once refused to accept players for four years after they entered college, greatly encouraging them to stay. If a player left early, where would he go? Wilt Chamberlain left the University of Kansas a season early, but played for the Globetrotters until he was eligible for the NBA.

Spencer Haywood challenged the policy in federal court before the 1969-70 season and won the case. Ever since, the NBA has had to open its doors to underclassmen.

"The NCAA thought they'd take this one step further by saying we'll give a kid a free look," Suns President Jerry Colangelo says. "Well, there aren't any free looks, free lunches or cups of coffee in the NBA. We can live with it either way, but the NCAA has to take a hard look at this."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_n24_v218/ai_15974154

Incorrect. Him going to Louisville would've maintained that Adi offer down the line. Wink-wink sneaker deals go down every spring when a player chooses a school of his liking that'll happen to wear a brand that signs him when he enters the league. These players earn the schools millions while there.
He goes to Louisville and is a complete bust or gets hurt.....that shoe deal is not going to be there

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

This isn't even about Bender or what he could have done. I'm talking about the rule that says you have to co go college a year. Which weeds out weakness imo, and provides an opportunity for AFTER a career in sports either doesn't pan out (like bender), or when a career has run it's course and is over. Instead of having gone to college, and experienced what that entails this guy now is going to do what? So what he has a ton of money, what is he going to do w/ his time. He isn't going to be young forever. Look at Britney Spears and a bunch of other young people w/ a ton of money and no education. That's what I don't want to see. You don't have to agree friend. It's cool. That's the point of these debates. Saying "I hope you don't have plans of being an agent." Unnecessary.
happy.gif

But...as for the kids on the other side. Nobody is holding a gun to these kids heads and telling them go pro...nor are the NBA GMs who draft them. Korleone Young was advised NOT to go pro...he had scouts telling his family he needed to go to school...yet his own camp advised him to go pro anyway. At the end of the stay its still his choice to make.

How much do you mature during your freshman year of college? I don't know too many who do. Now if I'm a big time prospect and I know I can coast through school for a year knowing I got millions waiting for me next year...how much maturing you think I'm going to do?

Holding a "this is how terrible your future will be if you don't go pro now" card is just as bad as a gun imo. Telling a kid who is barely 18 that he has to do this for the family, doesn't leave much room for negotiation. Think back to when you were a senior in high school. If your coach tells you "I think you need to go to college", while your mom says "He doesn't know what he's talking about. you're great baby!". Who are you more likely to listen to when you know your situation isn't the ideal one? they aren't making sound decisions, which is one of the reasons the rule was put into play in the first place.

As for how much you learn in your freshman year. You learn a ton just by going through day-to-day things. I'd say the hectic schedules D1 athletes have to endure is takes plenty of maturity. I've spoken w/ many of them at UT and the stuff they have to deal w/ is ridiculous sometimes. And thats w/o even factoring in class schedules. So yeah, you won't be going through a year of school and come out the same person. It's damn near impossible.
I'm also keeping in mind that Bender is not the typical scenario. tons of kids go out not knowing what they actually are capable of doing and falling well below expectations. One year of school weeds those out more efficiently than not. Personally I would love if entering into the draft didn't wipe out college eligibility. If it was structured more like baseball I wouldn't mind kids declaring at 18.

Which weeds out weakness imo, and provides an opportunity for AFTER a career in sports either doesn't pan out (like bender), or when a career has run it's course and is over
How does going to college for 1 year provide opportunities for a career AFTER sports?
How does going to college for 2 years provide opportunities for a career AFTER sports?

Why are you bringing Britney Spears into the picture? That makes absolutely ZERO sense. The life of an entertainer is completely different than the situationwe are discussing. What we're seeing with Britney Spears is the tale of an entertainer succumbing to the pressure of being in Hollywood which has happenedto MANY entertainers of all ages. How that correlates to HS kids entering the NBA is beyond me.
Holding a "this is how terrible your future will be if you don't go pro now" card is just as bad as a gun imo
Who said this? Or even implied it? Nobody said your future would be bad if you didnt go pro.

If your coach tells you "I think you need to go to college", while your mom says "He doesn't know what he's talking about. you're great baby!". Who are you more likely to listen to when you know your situation isn't the ideal one? they aren't making sound decisions, which is one of the reasons the rule was put into play in the first place.
At the end of the day your decision should come from YOU...not somebody else. If a kid chooses to go to college...kudos. If a kid chooses topursue a career in the NBA...kudos. Who are we but spectators to criticize either decision? I just simply believe it isnt FAIR to take away that decision.

As for how much you learn in your freshman year. You learn a ton just by going through day-to-day things. I'd say the hectic schedules D1 athletes have to endure is takes plenty of maturity.
Thats simply not true...and this is coming from someone who participated in collegiate athletics. Those coming from high profile programs in HSactually travel as much and play in just as many games as D1 teams. There really isn't that much of a difference in the scheduling...besides academics.Which in most cases is also NOT going to be that much of a difference from HS for most of these kids. If you saw Carmelo's schedule from Syracuse you'dlaugh...and he STILL didn't go to class. So once again...I don't see the point. 1 year of college does not make that much of a difference forANYONE...that goes for students and athletes.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

This isn't even about Bender or what he could have done. I'm talking about the rule that says you have to co go college a year. Which weeds out weakness imo, and provides an opportunity for AFTER a career in sports either doesn't pan out (like bender), or when a career has run it's course and is over. Instead of having gone to college, and experienced what that entails this guy now is going to do what? So what he has a ton of money, what is he going to do w/ his time. He isn't going to be young forever. Look at Britney Spears and a bunch of other young people w/ a ton of money and no education. That's what I don't want to see. You don't have to agree friend. It's cool. That's the point of these debates. Saying "I hope you don't have plans of being an agent." Unnecessary.
happy.gif

Holding a "this is how terrible your future will be if you don't go pro now" card is just as bad as a gun imo. Telling a kid who is barely 18 that he has to do this for the family, doesn't leave much room for negotiation. Think back to when you were a senior in high school. If your coach tells you "I think you need to go to college", while your mom says "He doesn't know what he's talking about. you're great baby!". Who are you more likely to listen to when you know your situation isn't the ideal one? they aren't making sound decisions, which is one of the reasons the rule was put into play in the first place.

As for how much you learn in your freshman year. You learn a ton just by going through day-to-day things. I'd say the hectic schedules D1 athletes have to endure is takes plenty of maturity. I've spoken w/ many of them at UT and the stuff they have to deal w/ is ridiculous sometimes. And thats w/o even factoring in class schedules. So yeah, you won't be going through a year of school and come out the same person. It's damn near impossible.
I'm also keeping in mind that Bender is not the typical scenario. tons of kids go out not knowing what they actually are capable of doing and falling well below expectations. One year of school weeds those out more efficiently than not. Personally I would love if entering into the draft didn't wipe out college eligibility. If it was structured more like baseball I wouldn't mind kids declaring at 18.
Which weeds out weakness imo, and provides an opportunity for AFTER a career in sports either doesn't pan out (like bender), or when a career has run it's course and is over
How does going to college for 1 year provide opportunities for a career AFTER sports?
How does going to college for 2 years provide opportunities for a career AFTER sports?

Why are you bringing Britney Spears into the picture? That makes absolutely ZERO sense. The life of an entertainer is completely different than the situation we are discussing. What we're seeing with Britney Spears is the tale of an entertainer succumbing to the pressure of being in Hollywood which has happened to MANY entertainers of all ages. How that correlates to HS kids entering the NBA is beyond me.
Holding a "this is how terrible your future will be if you don't go pro now" card is just as bad as a gun imo
Who said this? Or even implied it? Nobody said your future would be bad if you didnt go pro.

If your coach tells you "I think you need to go to college", while your mom says "He doesn't know what he's talking about. you're great baby!". Who are you more likely to listen to when you know your situation isn't the ideal one? they aren't making sound decisions, which is one of the reasons the rule was put into play in the first place.
At the end of the day your decision should come from YOU...not somebody else. If a kid chooses to go to college...kudos. If a kid chooses to pursue a career in the NBA...kudos. Who are we but spectators to criticize either decision? I just simply believe it isnt FAIR to take away that decision.

As for how much you learn in your freshman year. You learn a ton just by going through day-to-day things. I'd say the hectic schedules D1 athletes have to endure is takes plenty of maturity.
Thats simply not true...and this is coming from someone who participated in collegiate athletics. Those coming from high profile programs in HS actually travel as much and play in just as many games as D1 teams. There really isn't that much of a difference in the scheduling...besides academics. Which in most cases is also NOT going to be that much of a difference from HS for most of these kids. If you saw Carmelo's schedule from Syracuse you'd laugh...and he STILL didn't go to class. So once again...I don't see the point. 1 year of college does not make that much of a difference for ANYONE...that goes for students and athletes.

The NBA disagrees w/ you.

The NFL Disagrees w/ you.

Athletes ARE entertainers.

If you don't see the benefits of going to college then there is no discussing this w/ you.

We'll agree to disagree.
happy.gif

Well...if telling yourself that makes you feel justified in comparing Britney Spears to basketball players well then more power to you.
pimp.gif

I'd like to see some more opinions on this topic..since the draft is coming up and all

some might argue that its bad for the college game, cuz these schools are basically renting these players for a year.....so people might view them asmercenaries....no way people expected Oden, Durant, Beasley to stay more than a year....but i guess i enjoyed Durant for the year he was here at UT.

I'm going to just drop some info....Bender put alot of that money into real estate and is and was making a killing in real estate for a very long time. Hehas made a lot of money from doing it and owns a ton of property. He is doing fine and is set for a very long time.

A majority of the property he owns is in New Orleans as he has taken a big interest in real estate in the city and the rebuilding efforts.

The NBA has the best teachers and best facilities to improve in the world. If the HS players that failed couldn't improve under the tutelage ofprofessionals, why is it expected that they would have improved by going to school?

Originally Posted by VaGixxer

I'm going to just drop some info....Bender put alot of that money into real estate and is and was making a killing in real estate for a very long time. He has made a lot of money from doing it and owns a ton of property. He is doing fine and is set for a very long time.

A majority of the property he owns is in New Orleans as he has taken a big interest in real estate in the city and the rebuilding efforts.

i hear he is doing very well after the nba too. good investments, started his record company, and works on his foundation

heard larry bird say bender was the only one to beat him in shooting practice when he was coaching the pacers. i thought he would have been like tmac withall his skills. or what durant is today.

http://www.thejonathanbenderfoundation.com/home/

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Our Founder[/h1]
RTEmagicC_DSC_0240_01.jpg.jpg
Jonathan Bender was raised in Picayune, Mississippi and as a senior in high school, the Forward averaged 23.1 points, 15 rebounds, five blocked shots and four assists. He scored a record 31 points at the 1999 McDonald's High School All-America Game, breaking the previous mark of 30 points set by Michael Jordan in 1981. At Magic Johnson's Roundball Classic, Bender scored 11 points along with seven rebounds and three blocked shots in 24 minutes. Bender was also a first round draft pick in the 1999 NBA Draft when he was only 17 years old, and was fifth pick overall.

Despite a very promising career in the NBA, Bender was forced to announce his retirement in Spring 2006 due to a worsening knee injury. However, this hardworking, driven young man has not missed a beat and has been channeling his stunning work ethic into other endeavors. Bender has invested in several high-end real estate properties, including commercial and resort/vacation properties; has formed NexNow Productions, which develops, acquires, and produces television and film projects; has built a state-of-the-art recording studio in the New Orleans area; and has recently established a non-profit organization, The Jonathan Bender Foundation, which strives to empower children in his community by providing them with the tools to obtain life skills that address their educational, health and social needs.

Bender also is helping to improve the housing situation for low income families in New Orleans. He has bought several properties, including apartment buildings, single family homes, and triplexes and has been renovating the properties to rent or sell to low-income families and families living on Section 8. He also purchased 8 acres in East New Orleans and has hired an architect to draw up plans for a development with town homes, apartments, and a community center in the middle of the property that will provide literary programs, after-school programs for children, computer classes, and classes for parents wanting to get off of Section 8.

In addition, Bender has plans brewing to manufacture an energy tea drink called "Mardi Gras Tea" to distribute in Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. He is also working with a boxer in Houston, Guadalupe Martinez, who is 14 and 1. Bender has always been interested in the sport of boxing and has hired a promoter to book Martinez in more fights this year. He hopes to be working with other boxers in the near future.

Bender's hobbies outside of basketball and his business ventures include working with stereo and recording equipment, playing golf and pool, and working out at the gym. His favorite actors are Martin Lawrence and Chris Tucker, and his favorite book is the Bible. He spends his time between his homes in New Orleans, Houston, and Indianapolis.

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

Excuse my ignorance but who is Jonathan Bender?
Jonathan Rene Bender (born January 30, 1981 in Picayune, Mississippi) is a retired American professional basketball player in theNBA. Bender was selected with the fifth pick by the Toronto Raptors in the 1999 NBA Draft, straight out of Picayune Memorial High School in Picayune, Mississippi despite a verbal commitment to Mississippi State University. He was then traded to theIndiana Pacers for veteran forward Antonio Davis. Bender was hyped for his size, athleticism and all around skill. For many, Bender proved disappointing, neveraveraging double digits in scoring and suffering from numerous injuries. On February 4, 2006, Bender was forced into retirement due to chronic knee pain,although he has yet to file retirement papers with the NBA. He played for seven years from 1999 to 2006. The end of his basketball career finalized when thePacers waived him on June 14, 2006.[sup][1][/sup] In 2005, Bender was rated by Sports Illustrated as #11 on the list of the20 biggest busts in modern NBA draft history.

P.S.- He is cousins with Morris Peterson

Going back to the situation. I think there should be some sort of a 3 year college basketball agreement. This way the players who are ready to go pro, willhave proved themselves worthy of all the money coming at the. And I believe a 3 years in a college system works best for their game.

dreClark wrote:

Fanatic15 wrote:

dreClark wrote:

J Bender had injuries correct???

So....Assuming he went to college....He may not have even made it out healthy....I mean...dude was forced to RETIRE from basketball....

Which means he NEVER would have gotten the millions that he received....

Meaning he made the right decision....

Dude was in the L for like 7 seasons, much longer than the avg. NBA draftee/player. Even if he went to college for 4 yrs (not likely) he would have had
3 yrs in the league to make money, get injured and retire.

At the young age of 25, Indiana Pacers forward Jonathan Bender has decided to retire from NBA due to chronic knee problems. Bender has suffered knee problems since
before entering the NBA out of high school in 1999
(he selected 5th overall in the 1999 NBA Draft). It is thought that
his knee problems stem a growth spurt while he was a teenager, as it moved his knee out of alignment and also caused slippage of the hamstring. The problem
gradually worsened over his 7-year NBA career, during which time he played in only 271 regular season and playoff games.

I'm sorry, but not everyone deserves to be a millionaire. If he had these problems before hand (which he did), maybe basketball shouldn't have
been his only idea of success or career. The guy is only 25 and retired. He has a lot of life left to live. What is he going to do? My guess, go to college
and figure out something else to do w/ his life. Like he should have done in the first place. Just my opinion.

Deserve? Why didn't he deserve to get the millions he got? To say he could of went to college for 4 years and come out and make millions is absolutelyfalso.

With those injuries he sustained, he was gradually declining in his level of play. If that were to happen in college, there's no way in sam hell he'sthe 5th pick taken

in the NBA draft. Maybe he doesn't get drafted. You make it seem like people went poor attempting to pay his contract. Let him have his millions,that's nothing to

the people who wrote his checks.

Back
Top Bottom